Russia

Kendra

Re: Russia

Post by Kendra »

THREAD: a couple of reminders about Butina, who now serves in the Duma: JD Gordon, who took her to a Styx concert in October of 2016, was the point person for the RNC discussion that changed the party platform to remove language about sending lethal defense weapons to Ukraine. 1/
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

The thread has a lot more information in it.

Thanks for posting the link.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

The sky is green. Up is down. Right is left. Etc.

Russian propaganda:
► Show Spoiler
With all due respect to Sting, not all Russians love their children too.
Edit: Oh snap, Twitter deleted the Russian Embassy's propaganda tweets for violating guidelines. I have a screen shots though, but they are too big to post so I'll have to edit them first.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
Chilidog

Post by Chilidog »

Styx or Sting?

Wait...
What's the difference?
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

raison de arizona wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 11:16 am The sky is green. Up is down. Right is left. Etc.

Russian propaganda:
► Show Spoiler
Edit: Oh snap, Twitter deleted the Russian Embassy's propaganda tweets for violating guidelines. I have a screen shots though, but they are too big to post so I'll have to edit them first.
I didn’t take screen shots. I may have reported them. :whistle:
raison de arizona

:lol:
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Atticus Finch

Post by Atticus Finch »

If Putin goes ahead and nationalizes western closed businesses who will supply the parts of the machines of those businesses when they breakdown? Especially the notorious ice cream machines at McDonald's.
You don't need religion to have morals. If you can't determine right from wrong then you lack empathy, not religion.
Uninformed

Post by Uninformed »

I’m sure it’s not an original thought that Putin’s decision to invade Ukraine is evidence that he has realised his reign in Russia has, and will be, a failure. His empowering of a host of oligarchs has done nothing, or very little, to advance the commercial competitiveness of Russia. They have natural resources which are without doubt of great value but the wealth created has not been used effectively.
Although he has been, and is, more than ready to use his almost unchallenged power to suppress any opposition to his vision for Russia, I doubt he (originally?) wanted to become a modern “tsar” or Stalin. His strategy has failed and he doesn’t know how to recover from the situation he is solely(?) responsible for. Having no other option to prevent the comparative success, and encroachment, of Western ideology he has resorted to the only option left.
It may take some time, and many unnecessary deaths and other dire consequences, but the end of his reign is in sight. Let’s hope it comes sooner than later.
If you can't lie to yourself, who can you lie to?
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

I'd like to think his other neighbors might feel a little safer, if he ran his army up against the rocks and shattered it.

What's he got left to invade anybody else?

But ... it's hard to stop remembering the facts of WWII. The Russians just kept pouring out of the hinterlands. Somewhere between 20 and 40 mlllion of them died in the war, and that number will never be known with more accuracy. There were still plenty of millions of them left when they reached Berlin. They've had 80 years to recover, and here we are.

But I'd like to think their army is spent for any other invasion. :towel:
The more I learn about this planet, the more improbable it all seems. :confuzzled:
humblescribe
Verified:

Post by humblescribe »

Yeah, and WWII was a completely different kettle of borscht.

We were dealing with a psychopath with illusions of grandeur (sound familiar?) that needed to be stopped. My knowledge of WWII history is lacking. But I seem to recall that both Germany and Russia invaded Poland in '39 for the same reasons that Russia invaded the Ukraine today. It wasn't until '41 after Germany pushed further east that Russia joined the Allies. Stalin with FDR and Winnie decided the best way to put an end to Hitler and the German aggression was to attack from all sides. It took four years, but the Allies finally sacked Berlin in May '45.

Now we have a modern-day aggressor who wants to turn the clock back to the '50s and '60s to realize his dream of a united Russia with its satellite states to bolster its sagging economy.
"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others whenever they go." O. Wilde
MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Kendra

Post by Kendra »

Love it!
RVInit

Post by RVInit »

:lol:

There's a lot of things that need to change. One specifically? Police brutality.
--Colin Kaepernick
Kriselda Gray
Verified:

Post by Kriselda Gray »

Atticus Finch wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 6:47 am If Putin goes ahead and nationalizes western closed businesses who will supply the parts of the machines of those businesses when they breakdown? Especially the notorious ice cream machines at McDonald's.
How would his nationalizing the businesses even work? Who would work at them or manage them, and how would they get any branded products from America? I don't mean just spare parts, but the merchandise or any swag they sell over there?
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Post by bill_g »

Lenins fit just as good as Levis, though acid wash has an entirely different meaning.
raison de arizona

Mr brolin
Verified: ✅ as vaguely humanoid

Post by Mr brolin »

As opposed to the actual, poorly written, report that states that research labs that work in vaccines, disease prevention, vaccine development et-al, could, if seized by the Russians, be used as a release point for Russian weapons so as to blame Ukraine and the West.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-new ... l-26454674
John Thomas8

Post by John Thomas8 »

pipistrelle wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 12:11 pm
raison de arizona wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 11:16 am The sky is green. Up is down. Right is left. Etc.

Russian propaganda:
► Show Spoiler
You can create an account at imgur.com and upload any sized image (no videos) you'd like, then link to them to here.
Dave from down under

Post by Dave from down under »

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-03-15/ ... /100909998

News producer arrested after 'no war' protest live on Russian state television

An anti-war protester has interrupted the main news program on Russia's state TV Channel One, holding up a sign behind the studio presenter with slogans denouncing the war in Ukraine.

Key points:
Protester Marina Ovsyannikova has been arrested after denouncing war on live Russian television
Russian news outlets tend to follow the Kremlin line that Russia was forced to act in Ukraine to demilitarise and "de-Nazify" the country
The protester released a video urging other Russians to come out and protest
The sign, in English and Russian, read: "NO WAR. Stop the war. Don't believe propaganda. They are lying to you here."

Another phrase, which looked like "Russians against war", was partly obscured.

The extraordinary protest took place on day 19 of the war that began when Russia invaded Ukraine on February 24, in what it called a "special military operation".

"Stop the war. No to war," the woman protester could be heard shouting, as the news anchor continued to read from her teleprompter.

The protester could be seen and heard for several seconds before the channel switched to a different report to remove her from the screen.

The woman was named by OVD-Info, an independent protest-monitoring group, and by the head of the Agora human rights group, as Marina Ovsyannikova, a journalist who works for the channel.

Pavel Chikov, head of Agora, said she had been arrested and taken to a Moscow police station.
raison de arizona

Making room for Tucker!
Daniel Sandford @BBCDanielS wrote: Something is definitely going on in the Russian TV news sector. Reports of several senior resignations at the other main TV company, VGTRK that produces news for Rossiya-1 and Rossiya-24
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

Not quite off topic, but cruise lines and tour companies are frantically moving their itineraries away from the entire eastern Baltic area. They are canceling in countries not involved, like Finland and Estonia, but just too close to the action. This will hurt their economies.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
RVInit

Post by RVInit »

CNN is reporting that many news anchors in Russia are resigning, most likely because they do not support the war and aren't willing to continue lying about it.
There's a lot of things that need to change. One specifically? Police brutality.
--Colin Kaepernick
raison de arizona

John Thomas8 wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 1:12 am
pipistrelle wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 12:11 pm

Russian propaganda:
► Show Spoiler
You can create an account at imgur.com and upload any sized image (no videos) you'd like, then link to them to here.
Thanks :thumbsup: Three posts to click through that were removed.
John Thomas8

Post by John Thomas8 »

You're welcome.

Return to “Russian Invasion of Ukraine”