Hijack this thread

User avatar
vic
Posts: 2998
Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2012 1:36 am
Location: The great San Fernando Valley
Occupation: Web developer

Re: Hijack this thread

Post by vic » Sat Jul 08, 2017 11:00 pm

It's about 110 outside, and a large part of the northwest San Fernando Valley is now without power.

The LAFD reported this fire/explosion at a DWP station about 1.75 miles from me about 30 minutes before I lost power:

http://abc7.com/news/fire-explosion-rep ... e/2197507/

Image
NORTHRIDGE, LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- Smoke could be seen for miles after an electrical fire and explosion erupted inside a Los Angeles Department of Water and Power facility in Northridge Saturday afternoon.

The explosion was reported around 6:53 p.m. in the 18900 block of Parthenia Street, according to the Los Angeles Fire Department. It was reported in a high voltage electrical equipment area of the facility.

People were reporting power outages in the area, but it was not immediately known how many people were affected.

LADWP responded to the incident on Twitter, saying power had been cut off to the facility as a safety precaution and that it served the northeastern portion of the San Fernando Valley.
:snippity:
"northeastern" must be a typo in the LADWP twitter post.

NMgirl
Posts: 1708
Joined: Wed Apr 13, 2016 12:02 am

Re: Hijack this thread

Post by NMgirl » Sun Jul 09, 2017 12:39 am

vic wrote:It's about 110 outside, and a large part of the northwest San Fernando Valley is now without power.

The LAFD reported this fire/explosion at a DWP station about 1.75 miles from me about 30 minutes before I lost power:
I hope you have someplace to go to cool off. I don't think I've ever experienced a temperature that high.

User avatar
vic
Posts: 2998
Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2012 1:36 am
Location: The great San Fernando Valley
Occupation: Web developer

Re: Hijack this thread

Post by vic » Sun Jul 09, 2017 1:53 pm

NMgirl wrote:
vic wrote:It's about 110 outside, and a large part of the northwest San Fernando Valley is now without power.

The LAFD reported this fire/explosion at a DWP station about 1.75 miles from me about 30 minutes before I lost power:
I hope you have someplace to go to cool off. I don't think I've ever experienced a temperature that high.
My downstairs stayed reasonably cool. After sunset I went over to the neighbors and sat with them in their covered patio, which also has water misters to keep it a coolish 85. Power was back after about 12 hours. My small dorm refrigerator upstairs defrosted, but the ice tray in it stayed solid, and the insulin should be ok. I haven't yet checked the fridge in the kitchen.

User avatar
MRich
Posts: 663
Joined: Sun Aug 22, 2010 4:07 pm

Re: Hijack this thread

Post by MRich » Sun Jul 09, 2017 2:57 pm

Someone once told me that if you are going to be gone for a period of time, you should freeze a cup of water and put a coin on top and leave it in the freezer. When you come back, if the coin is in the water, you'll know the power was off long enough to thaw the food.

User avatar
vic
Posts: 2998
Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2012 1:36 am
Location: The great San Fernando Valley
Occupation: Web developer

Re: Hijack this thread

Post by vic » Sun Jul 09, 2017 5:34 pm

MRich wrote:Someone once told me that if you are going to be gone for a period of time, you should freeze a cup of water and put a coin on top and leave it in the freezer. When you come back, if the coin is in the water, you'll know the power was off long enough to thaw the food.
I accidentally did the same thing. I had put some fresh herbs in a container with water in the freezer and it had gotten turned over. When I checked the freezer this morning, I noticed that the ice was at the top of the container so all is good in the freezer.

The refrigerator is one of those French door styles with the freezer at the bottom and an ice maker in the refrigerator door. Some of the ice in the ice maker had melted and refrozen but most of the cubes were still intact. But to be safe I'm going to throw out the cottage cheese and hotdogs.

User avatar
tek
Posts: 1714
Joined: Fri Nov 16, 2012 6:02 pm
Location: Happy Valley, MA
Occupation: Damned if I know

Re: Hijack this thread

Post by tek » Sun Jul 09, 2017 6:01 pm

vic wrote:But to be safe I'm going to throw out the cottage cheese and hotdogs.
To be safe, I always throw out cottage cheese whenever I find it in my refrigerator.

But I still bear the scars of being forced to eat cottage cheese in second grade by the nuns.. I warned them that they really didn't want me to eat it, but "they persisted" ...
Fast talkin' guys with strange red eyes
Have put things in your head
And started your mind to wonderin'

User avatar
phelana
Posts: 2119
Joined: Sun Mar 13, 2016 8:05 pm
Location: In the psych ward

Re: Hijack this thread

Post by phelana » Sun Jul 09, 2017 6:06 pm

June bug wrote:Lani - if you're looking for access to WaPo and the Times, as well as the Star Advertiser plus some international papers too - I just heard you can get it with your Hawaii State Library card. I haven't done it yet but you can sign up for it online I believe. Check with your local branch for more info.
Oh, I had forgotten that I can probably access it that way with my library card.
Beatrice: Sigh no more, ladies, sigh no more. Men were deceivers ever. One foot in sea and one on shore, to one thing constant never. Then sigh not so but let them go and be you blithe and bonny, converting all your sounds of woe into hey nonny nonny.

User avatar
Tiredretiredlawyer
Posts: 3220
Joined: Tue May 10, 2016 2:56 pm
Location: Animal Planet
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 5 dogs, 2 cats, the neighbor's cat, and 1 horse

Re: Hijack this thread

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Sun Jul 09, 2017 6:26 pm

tek wrote:
vic wrote:But to be safe I'm going to throw out the cottage cheese and hotdogs.
To be safe, I always throw out cottage cheese whenever I find it in my refrigerator.

But I still bear the scars of being forced to eat cottage cheese in second grade by the nuns.. I warned them that they really didn't want me to eat it, but "they persisted" ...


As nuns are wont to do.
“I’ve been hooked since my first smell of C-4.” Linda Cox, first female Air Force Explosive Ordnance Disposal Technician, first to lead her own unit, go to war, be awarded a Bronze Star, and hold the highest enlisted rank of chief master sergeant.

User avatar
DejaMoo
Posts: 3073
Joined: Tue Jan 25, 2011 1:19 pm
Occupation: Agent of ZOG

Re: Hijack this thread

Post by DejaMoo » Sun Jul 09, 2017 7:56 pm

<Rant on>

So I have a RWNJ brother. He's also a religious fundie, hasn't had a television since the 1970s 'cause as far back as that the fundie churches were telling their brainwashed victims congregants that they couldn't trust the mass media. His church went further by outright forbidding its obedient zombies members from watching/reading/listening to the mainstream media.

He lives out in the boondocks, listens occasionally to right-wing and religious radio, otherwise all his knowledge bullshit comes from his church, including his fellow gullible conspiracy believers church members. The stuff he believes and treats as factual is familiar to all of us reading the nut threads on TFB. He's fallen repeatedly for scams - in fact, he can be relied upon to ignore advice and entreaties and hand over cash to total strangers promising him the moon. Sometimes, after the fact, he's called me for advice and assistance in trying to get his money back. But he never learns. This extends to his online activity, which has caused him to infect his pc over and over again. He brings it to me, I clean it up, give him the security lecture, give it back. Rinse and repeat. Like I said, he never learns.

I'm a liberal, educated, in fact work in public education. Obviously, we have nothing but parents in common.

For years I've been trying to keep a relationship with him because . . . well, because despite everything, including his angry, hateful, gun- and pain-obsessed personality (he used to raise livestock, his favorite part was figuring out a new and creative way to kill them every year), I felt if only we could find some common ground, we could actually have a relationship. And as a good liberal, relationships, outreach and common ground are some of my values. So I tried to focus on our childhood, on agriculture, the weather. . . anything non-controversial. And, of course, he never could leave well enough alone, but had to "educate" me about politics and religion.

I've tolerated it all these years. Except for now. He voted for Trump. He's a true believer, even though he's worried he's going to lose his healthcare. He's condescendingly lecturing me and my other siblings, telling us we live in an information bubble and don't even try to learn the real news. Yeah, Mr. Backwoods Hillbilly is telling me I'm ignorant and stupid, and that's why I vote Democratic.

He effed up his pc again. He's been calling and calling for the past three weeks, wanting to set up a time for me to get his pc and fix it up again. And I.just.can't. Not anymore. This is the guy who's convinced he's better informed and smarter than me, yet he's the one who keeps screwing things up. And then he calls me for help. Every.Single.Time. Yet, according to him, I'm the dumb one.

I can't do it anymore. Mr. RWNJ is going to have assume some personal responsibility. This liberal isn't going to save him from the consequences of his actions any more.

<Rant off>

I feel a little better now.

User avatar
Sugar Magnolia
Posts: 8252
Joined: Sun Apr 01, 2012 6:44 am

Re: Hijack this thread

Post by Sugar Magnolia » Sun Jul 09, 2017 8:04 pm

Good for you honey! As long as he has someone to bail him out, he has no reason to change. And really, what are you out? Chances are he already poor mouths you, so that won't be any different.

User avatar
phelana
Posts: 2119
Joined: Sun Mar 13, 2016 8:05 pm
Location: In the psych ward

Re: Hijack this thread

Post by phelana » Sun Jul 09, 2017 8:16 pm

DejaMoo wrote:<Rant on>

So I have a RWNJ brother. He's also a religious fundie, hasn't had a television since the 1970s 'cause as far back as that the fundie churches were telling their brainwashed victims congregants that they couldn't trust the mass media. His church went further by outright forbidding its obedient zombies members from watching/reading/listening to the mainstream media.

He lives out in the boondocks, listens occasionally to right-wing and religious radio, otherwise all his knowledge bullshit comes from his church, including his fellow gullible conspiracy believers church members. The stuff he believes and treats as factual is familiar to all of us reading the nut threads on TFB. He's fallen repeatedly for scams - in fact, he can be relied upon to ignore advice and entreaties and hand over cash to total strangers promising him the moon. Sometimes, after the fact, he's called me for advice and assistance in trying to get his money back. But he never learns. This extends to his online activity, which has caused him to infect his pc over and over again. He brings it to me, I clean it up, give him the security lecture, give it back. Rinse and repeat. Like I said, he never learns.

I'm a liberal, educated, in fact work in public education. Obviously, we have nothing but parents in common.

For years I've been trying to keep a relationship with him because . . . well, because despite everything, including his angry, hateful, gun- and pain-obsessed personality (he used to raise livestock, his favorite part was figuring out a new and creative way to kill them every year), I felt if only we could find some common ground, we could actually have a relationship. And as a good liberal, relationships, outreach and common ground are some of my values. So I tried to focus on our childhood, on agriculture, the weather. . . anything non-controversial. And, of course, he never could leave well enough alone, but had to "educate" me about politics and religion.

I've tolerated it all these years. Except for now. He voted for Trump. He's a true believer, even though he's worried he's going to lose his healthcare. He's condescendingly lecturing me and my other siblings, telling us we live in an information bubble and don't even try to learn the real news. Yeah, Mr. Backwoods Hillbilly is telling me I'm ignorant and stupid, and that's why I vote Democratic.

He effed up his pc again. He's been calling and calling for the past three weeks, wanting to set up a time for me to get his pc and fix it up again. And I.just.can't. Not anymore. This is the guy who's convinced he's better informed and smarter than me, yet he's the one who keeps screwing things up. And then he calls me for help. Every.Single.Time. Yet, according to him, I'm the dumb one.

I can't do it anymore. Mr. RWNJ is going to have assume some personal responsibility. This liberal isn't going to save him from the consequences of his actions any more.

<Rant off>

I feel a little better now.
You could fix it one last time...to block anything with Trump or conspiracy theories. Install Social Fixer on Facebook, set to block the word Trump.

Actually, thinking about that, you could collect the IP addresses and domains of some of these sites and block them with a host file.
Beatrice: Sigh no more, ladies, sigh no more. Men were deceivers ever. One foot in sea and one on shore, to one thing constant never. Then sigh not so but let them go and be you blithe and bonny, converting all your sounds of woe into hey nonny nonny.

Sunrise
Posts: 381
Joined: Fri Nov 04, 2016 3:29 pm

Re: Hijack this thread

Post by Sunrise » Sun Jul 09, 2017 9:28 pm

phelana wrote:
You could fix it one last time...to block anything with Trump or conspiracy theories. Install Social Fixer on Facebook, set to block the word Trump.

Actually, thinking about that, you could collect the IP addresses and domains of some of these sites and block them with a host file.
Ooooh, I really like the way you think.......revenge being so sweet and all that.

And DejaMoo, good for you for asserting yourself.

To both of you, :clap: :clap: :clap: :bighug: :bighug: :bighug:

User avatar
Kendra
Posts: 3516
Joined: Fri Aug 05, 2016 7:53 am

Re: Hijack this thread

Post by Kendra » Mon Jul 10, 2017 11:00 am

Since I have no idea where in the multiple Trump threads to stick this...I pick here.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the ... c1300d3310
President Trump calls CNN “fake news,” and White House press secretary Sean Spicer seldom takes questions from the network's journalists, but counselor to the president Kellyanne Conway could not get enough of CNN on Monday.

For 35 minutes, Conway sparred with anchor Chris Cuomo, mostly over press coverage. A standard TV appearance lasts five to 10 minutes, and Cuomo tried several times to wrap up the interview, saying that producers were telling him through an earpiece that the White House wanted to end it.

But Conway kept going, and CNN blew past one commercial break after another to let her spirited exchange with Cuomo play out.

Your people say you have to go, by the way,” Cuomo told Conway at the 28-minute mark. “So you make sure that the White House press office doesn't yell at me. … I've got people yelling in my ear that you have to go.

User avatar
MRich
Posts: 663
Joined: Sun Aug 22, 2010 4:07 pm

Re: Hijack this thread

Post by MRich » Mon Jul 10, 2017 4:03 pm

A while back we were discussing "Buffy the Vampire Slayer" and I mentioned it was taken off Netflix. Well, fyi I see that it's on Hulu now.

User avatar
GreatGrey
Posts: 8882
Joined: Tue Jun 16, 2009 6:06 am
Location: Living in the Anthropocene

Re: Hijack this thread

Post by GreatGrey » Mon Jul 10, 2017 11:28 pm

For our punsters....

Why do Swedish warships have bar codes on the sides?

So that when they return to port, they can Scandinavian.
I am not "someone upthread".
Trump needs to be smashed into some kind of inedible orange pâté.

User avatar
Sterngard Friegen
Posts: 40532
Joined: Wed Aug 05, 2009 12:32 am
Location: Trump International - Malibu

Re: Hijack this thread

Post by Sterngard Friegen » Mon Jul 10, 2017 11:34 pm

:brickwallsmall:

User avatar
Tiredretiredlawyer
Posts: 3220
Joined: Tue May 10, 2016 2:56 pm
Location: Animal Planet
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 5 dogs, 2 cats, the neighbor's cat, and 1 horse

Re: Hijack this thread

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Mon Jul 10, 2017 11:46 pm

GreatGrey wrote:For our punsters....

Why do Swedish warships have bar codes on the sides?

So that when they return to port, they can Scandinavian.
:thankyou:
“I’ve been hooked since my first smell of C-4.” Linda Cox, first female Air Force Explosive Ordnance Disposal Technician, first to lead her own unit, go to war, be awarded a Bronze Star, and hold the highest enlisted rank of chief master sergeant.

User avatar
Estiveo
Posts: 6435
Joined: Tue Oct 20, 2009 7:31 pm
Location: Trouble's Howse

Re: Hijack this thread

Post by Estiveo » Mon Jul 10, 2017 11:56 pm

Ermagerd.
"Moths are velvety-soft abominations attracted to light." --Puck, reporter from Breaking Cat News

User avatar
Volkonski
Posts: 13215
Joined: Sat Mar 02, 2013 4:44 pm
Location: Texas Gulf Coast and North Fork of Long Island
Occupation: Retired Mechanical Engineer

Re: Hijack this thread

Post by Volkonski » Tue Jul 11, 2017 2:51 pm

In Manhattan. Mrs. V. Gets new hip tomorrow. Have to be at hospital at 5:30 am. :(
Image“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.”
― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace

User avatar
Tiredretiredlawyer
Posts: 3220
Joined: Tue May 10, 2016 2:56 pm
Location: Animal Planet
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 5 dogs, 2 cats, the neighbor's cat, and 1 horse

Re: Hijack this thread

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Tue Jul 11, 2017 3:12 pm

Volkonski wrote:In Manhattan. Mrs. V. Gets new hip tomorrow. Have to be at hospital at 5:30 am. :(
Better get your dance moves ready, V.
“I’ve been hooked since my first smell of C-4.” Linda Cox, first female Air Force Explosive Ordnance Disposal Technician, first to lead her own unit, go to war, be awarded a Bronze Star, and hold the highest enlisted rank of chief master sergeant.

User avatar
RVInit
Posts: 3941
Joined: Sat Mar 05, 2016 4:31 pm

Re: Hijack this thread

Post by RVInit » Tue Jul 11, 2017 3:39 pm

Good luck! I have every confidence Mrs V will have a very successful surgery and she'll be walking perfectly before you know it. :thumbs: It'll be a good thing.
"I know that human being and fish can coexist peacefully"
--- George W Bush

User avatar
Volkonski
Posts: 13215
Joined: Sat Mar 02, 2013 4:44 pm
Location: Texas Gulf Coast and North Fork of Long Island
Occupation: Retired Mechanical Engineer

Re: Hijack this thread

Post by Volkonski » Tue Jul 11, 2017 4:30 pm

Our younger cancer survivor daughter just called. She got a job as a special education aide in a Dallas area school district. :thumbs:

She had to leave her former job because of the cancer treatment.

Pay is 24K $ which is not princely but she can live on that sharing an apartment with her boyfriend and she gets summers off.

Mrs. V. and I look forward to not having to support her starting in September. ;)
Image“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.”
― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace

User avatar
RVInit
Posts: 3941
Joined: Sat Mar 05, 2016 4:31 pm

Re: Hijack this thread

Post by RVInit » Tue Jul 11, 2017 4:47 pm

:thumbs: Wonderful. With all the bad stuff that is happening, I am happy to hear good things happening to good people. It's just right, that's all there is to it. :cheer1: :cheer:
"I know that human being and fish can coexist peacefully"
--- George W Bush

User avatar
Tiredretiredlawyer
Posts: 3220
Joined: Tue May 10, 2016 2:56 pm
Location: Animal Planet
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 5 dogs, 2 cats, the neighbor's cat, and 1 horse

Re: Hijack this thread

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Tue Jul 11, 2017 6:15 pm

Volkonski wrote:Our younger cancer survivor daughter just called. She got a job as a special education aide in a Dallas area school district. :thumbs:

She had to leave her former job because of the cancer treatment.

Pay is 24K $ which is not princely but she can live on that sharing an apartment with her boyfriend and she gets summers off.

Mrs. V. and I look forward to not having to support her starting in September. ;)
Congratulations!!!!!!!!
“I’ve been hooked since my first smell of C-4.” Linda Cox, first female Air Force Explosive Ordnance Disposal Technician, first to lead her own unit, go to war, be awarded a Bronze Star, and hold the highest enlisted rank of chief master sergeant.

User avatar
June bug
Posts: 5674
Joined: Wed Jul 01, 2009 3:29 pm

Re: Hijack this thread

Post by June bug » Tue Jul 11, 2017 7:10 pm

Great news about your youngest, V! And I've known several people who had hip replacements and they all swear by 'em - good luck to Mrs. V! :bighug:

Post Reply

Return to “The Lounge”