Russia Invades Ukraine

chancery
Verified:

Re: Russia Invades Ukraine

Post by chancery »

Foggy wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2022 1:04 pm As much as we're all outraged and sickened by the pointless violence and this stupid war ... as much as the world is reacting as one, supporting the Ukrainians in their hour of need ...
:snippity:
I know Saddam was not Zelenskyy. I know there were other differences. But I think Americans should remember what we did, this week. We have less of a right to criticize than some nations.
:yeahthat:

I think about that constantly, and about how much moral capital our country would have if we hadn't embarked on that pointless war.
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

A must watch. Captured Russian soldier spills his guts as to what's been on his mind since he came to Ukraine. 10 minutes and worth every one.

Chilidog

Post by Chilidog »

Actually, that's not a Russian soldier.

He's a civil policeman.

That's why he is being so open. The Russian government put him in a position where he would be violating international law if he followed orders.
RVInit

Post by RVInit »

“A know-it-all is a person who knows everything except for how annoying he is.”

— Demetri Martin
Dave from down under

Post by Dave from down under »

Slim Cognito wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2022 1:06 pm Crap. I hate it when reality rears it’s ugly head.
Out of our population of about 27 Mil we had about 1 mil in the streets protesting against our joining that Bush's unjustified invasion.

bloody bastards..
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

:brokenheart:

CNN has a video of a young boy on the border with Poland (presumably he just crossed from Ukraine). Unless his family is far ahead of him or steps behind him (not holding my breath), he's all alone with just his bag and he's crying uncontrollably. Just heartbreaking.

Pamela Brown (CNN) said viewers had contacted them for more info, and they were working on it. If anyone sees updates before I do, please update here. So sad...
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

Foggy wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2022 1:04 pm As much as we're all outraged and sickened by the pointless violence and this stupid war ... as much as the world is reacting as one, supporting the Ukrainians in their hour of need ...
I know Saddam was not Zelenskyy. I know there were other differences. But I think Americans should remember what we did, this week. We have less of a right to criticize than some nations.
I'd comment but people would accuse me of being anti-american.
Hic sunt dracones
keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

Post by keith »

Suranis wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2022 8:31 pm
I'd comment but people would accuse me of being anti-american.
I think this is a safe place to speak your mind, Suranis.

The US invasion of Iraq was a war crime and Bush and his advisors should be tried as war criminals.

It was the first out and out US war of aggression since 1812 when US invaded Canada. (Incursions into Mexico were just that, illegal but only incursions).

ETA. Oh I almost forgot Cuba... set up by the media, the US excuse to invade Cuba and trigger the Spanish-American war was ill-informed, but I'm not really sure it could be classified as a war of aggression - but maybe it could - so the premise of my post is under a cloud.
Be assured that a walk through the ocean of most souls Would scarcely get your feet wet
jcolvin2
Verified:

Post by jcolvin2 »

keith wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2022 9:51 pm It was the first out and out US war of aggression since 1812 when US invaded Canada. (Incursions into Mexico were just that, illegal but only incursions).
Not sure the War of 1812 was entirely a war of aggression. While there were tensions regarding the Northwest Territories, I think the US was moved to act in part by the seizure of trading vessels (which were endeavoring to trade with Napoleonic France) and the British Navy's impressment of US citizens.
Kriselda Gray
Verified:

Post by Kriselda Gray »

p0rtia wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2022 2:22 pm A must watch. Captured Russian soldier spills his guts as to what's been on his mind since he came to Ukraine. 10 minutes and worth every one.
Thanks for sharing this, it's very interesting to hear what he has to say.
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

No idea if this is true. :?
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

Volkonski wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2022 10:52 pm No idea if this is true. :?
I think that thousands of veterans may be going to Ukraine, but I believe they are going strictly on their own, as individual volunteers.
Luke
Location: @orly_licious With Pete Buttigieg and the other "open and defiant homosexuals" --Bryan Fischer AFA

Post by Luke »

Disinformation Alert: Check Sources.

We all need this reminder, fake stories and deep fake video are tools of war.
OrlyLicious 🇺🇸 @Orly_licious·1m
Friends, beware of disinformation about #StandWithUkraine️: redfishstream is Kremlin. "Millions Reposting Kremlin Misinformation by Mistake - Kremlin-backed media outlet masquerading as left-wing news source racks up likes & shares on #Ukraine posts"

(Sort of an interesting idea... wonder if Fogbow could have a Disinformation Alert topic, it fits with the Mission Statement -- that would be something we could promote to the bigger web as a place to check to see if information is accurate. Probably too much work but a topic for internal use at least)
Lt Root Beer of the Mighty 699th. Fogbow 💙s titular Mama June in Fogbow's Favourite Show™ Mama June: From Not To Hot! Fogbow's Theme Song™ Edith Massey's "I Got The Evidence!" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5jDHZd0JAg
busterbunker

Post by busterbunker »

Ever since I discovered this joint, I've been using it as an Information/Disinformation Alert resource.

In other words, thank you.
Uninformed

Post by Uninformed »

:yeahthat:
If you can't lie to yourself, who can you lie to?
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

keith wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2022 9:51 pm I think this is a safe place to speak your mind, Suranis.
*sigh* Ok.

Basically I feel that the war was taking all the goodwill America had built up, then the states urinated on the worlds leg with Bush. Then you had the 11th of September, the States had the sympathy and goodwill of the world, and then they took a bucket of urine and dumped it all over the worlds head, and all for a lie a 3 year old could have seen through.

And while they did that we were all supposed to keep feeling sympathy for the 11th of September attacks while stinking from the urine.

Now, the Euro stats have been still a bit like spoiled kids by demanding the USA do the heavy lifting in terms of Arms defence while they do not much. So they have been a bit hypocritical.

But yes, you dragged the world into a war with a tissue of lies, abandoned Afghanistan when you had a real chance of doing something right just so a dickhead could have HIS WAR, and have acted all butt hurt when people have pointed it out since, and pulled out the dirty greasy tarpaulin of NINE ELEVENEN to shut people up.

I'm in a country where people were blowing one another up for decades and the UK has been bombed loads of times. The 11th of September was a serious attack but it was a one time pinprick in a country behind a huge moat. It ranks right up my Nose when you use NINA EHVENEN as an excuse, and stick to tell people to shut up at any criticism.

And as a result the world became an unstable place. And you use that instability and NINE EHEVENENENENEN to launch 6 or 7 new carriers while your roads crumble, and your people are ground down more and more into poverty.

Probably more harsh than I intend. I love the States but bloody heck guys.
Hic sunt dracones
keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

Post by keith »

Suranis wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2022 5:46 am :snippity:

Perfectly sane rant, as far as I'm concerned, and accurate as well.
Be assured that a walk through the ocean of most souls Would scarcely get your feet wet
Maybenaut
Verified: ✅✅

Post by Maybenaut »

keith wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2022 9:51 pm

The US invasion of Iraq was a war crime and Bush and his advisors should be tried as war criminals.

It was the first out and out US war of aggression since 1812 when US invaded Canada. (Incursions into Mexico were just that, illegal but only incursions).

ETA. Oh I almost forgot Cuba... set up by the media, the US excuse to invade Cuba and trigger the Spanish-American war was ill-informed, but I'm not really sure it could be classified as a war of aggression - but maybe it could - so the premise of my post is under a cloud.
And you forgot Hawaii in 1893 when US Marines assisted in the overthrow of a Monarch who could not defend herself.
"Hey! We left this England place because it was bogus, and if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too!" -- Thomas Jefferson
W. Kevin Vicklund

Post by W. Kevin Vicklund »

Suranis wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2022 5:46 am
keith wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2022 9:51 pm I think this is a safe place to speak your mind, Suranis.
*sigh* Ok.

Basically I feel that the war was taking all the goodwill America had built up, then the states urinated on the worlds leg with Buh. Then you had the 11th of September, the States had the sympathy and goodwill of the world, and then they took a bucket of urine and dumped it all over the worlds head, and all for a lie a 3 year old could have seen through.

And while they did that we were all supposed to keep feeling sympathy for the 11th of September attacks while stinking from the urine.

Now, the Euro stats have been still a bit like spoiled kids by demanding the USA do the heavy lifting in terms of Arms defense while they do not much. So they have been a bit hypocritical.

But yes, you dragged the world into a war with a tissue of lies, abandoned Afghanistan when you had a real chance of doing something right just so a dickhead could have HIS WAR, and have acted all butt hurt when people have pointed it out since, and pulled out the dirty greasy tarpaulin of NINE ELEVENEN to shut people up.

I'm in a country where people were blowing one another up for decades and the UK has been bombed loads of times. The 11th of September was a serious attack but it was a one time pinprick in a country behind a huge moat. It ranks right up my Nose when you use NINA EHVENEN as an excuse, and stick to tell people to shut up at any criticism.

And as a result the world became an unstable place. And you use that instability and NINE EHEVENENENENEN to launch 6 or 7 new carriers while your roads crumble, and your people are ground down more and more into poverty.

Pretty much my view from within the States (not sure what Buh is referring to, though, but everything else, absolutely yes).
Dave from down under

Post by Dave from down under »

Buh = Bush ?
Chilidog

Post by Chilidog »

Back to the war.

Unconfirmed, but supposedly the Ukrainians sank a Russian patrol boat in the Black Sea last night when they hit it with GRADs. (Captured from the Russians).

Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: Inventor of flag baseball

Post by Foggy »

Off Topic
One last off-topic, then I'm done.

I took my three year old son and marched in Raleigh against the invasion of Iraq, back in Jan. 2003, before the war even started. I remember the march quite well, we had a great time and spoke to lots of the young'uns. The last time before that I marched against a war, half those people weren't even born yet.

But I marched. That's all I could really do. I knew it was a stupid, stupid war.
Katie Porter '28
Chilidog

Post by Chilidog »

And.....

Another interesting analysis of other factors / pressure on Moscow.

bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Post by bill_g »

Street in front of Russian DC consulate renamed Zelensky Way by street theater group.

bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Post by bill_g »

Return to “Russian Invasion of Ukraine”