Russia Invades Ukraine

Chilidog

Re: Russia Invades Ukraine

Post by Chilidog »

on the funny side....

Edit.

It may not actually be true.

But imagine in the muzak version of "The Girl From Ipanema" was playing.
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

RVInit

Post by RVInit »

Malcolm Nance brought up an interesting idea on the Independent American podcast. Fly loaded drones into Ukraine and allow Ukraine to take control of them , use to down Russian aircraft then land in Ukraine for refueling and reloading. A lend-lease kind of thing. Instead of no fly zone.
“A know-it-all is a person who knows everything except for how annoying he is.”

— Demetri Martin
Chilidog

Post by Chilidog »

The flag of Ukraine
9B2FC363-76FF-4C0E-970B-C7D66AC38662.jpeg
9B2FC363-76FF-4C0E-970B-C7D66AC38662.jpeg (329.41 KiB) Viewed 939 times
RVInit

Post by RVInit »

Malcolm Nance brought up an interesting idea on the Independent American podcast. Fly loaded drones into Ukraine and allow Ukraine to take control of them , use to down Russian aircraft then land in Ukraine for refueling and reloading. A lend-lease kind of thing. Instead of no fly zone. Once they enter Ukrainian airspace they are used by Ukrainian forces as needed.

— Demetri Martin
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Володимир Зеленський@ZelenskyyUa·4mHad a phone conversation with 🇧🇬 Prime Minister @KirilPetkov. On the agenda of the talks - the course of countering Russian aggression, sanctions pressure on Russia, help of partners to 🇺🇦. We appreciate the support of 🇧🇬 for Ukraine's accession to the EU. #StopRussia

(That's the flag of Bulgaria.)
chancery
Verified:

Post by chancery »

RVInit wrote: Sat Mar 05, 2022 1:56 pm Malcolm Nance brought up an interesting idea on the Independent American podcast. Fly loaded drones into Ukraine and allow Ukraine to take control of them , use to down Russian aircraft then land in Ukraine for refueling and reloading. A lend-lease kind of thing. Instead of no fly zone.
Tricky legal arguments don't work here.
humblescribe
Verified:

Post by humblescribe »

chancery wrote: Fri Mar 04, 2022 6:37 pm
Foggy wrote: Fri Mar 04, 2022 6:28 pm Corduroy roads like that were used by the British in the run-up to the Battle of Saratoga, too also.

But I have no idea how a horsie is supposed to keep good footing on a surface like that. That's gotta be brutal on the horsies.
General Sherman's engineers famously were able to build 10-14 miles of corduroys per day as his armies rampaged through the Carolinas in 1865.
More recently (not that recent, but still several decades later), Imperial County wanted to have a road from Yuma to San Diego. The only problem were the sand dunes across the SE portion of the county that did not allow proper grading or paving with materials known at the time.

They decided to build a plank road for automobiles to navigate across said dunes. This plank road became US80 in the '20s before it was paved.

http://gbcnet.com/ushighways/US80/US80_plank_road.html

Maybe not exactly the same as a corduroy road, but quite similar in design and purpose.
"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others whenever they go." O. Wilde
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

Rubio and Daines. They were asked specifically NOT to do this to protect Zelenskyy.
Hidden Content
This board requires you to be registered and logged-in to view hidden content.
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

What an asshole.
Hidden Content
This board requires you to be registered and logged-in to view hidden content.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
poplove
Verified: ✅💚💙💜☮️💐🌈⚽️✅

Post by poplove »

:rotflmao:
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

Cut them out of any future communications.
tek

Post by tek »

fucking assholes.

Trying to look important.

/ffs
RVInit

Post by RVInit »

chancery wrote: Sat Mar 05, 2022 2:40 pm
RVInit wrote: Sat Mar 05, 2022 1:56 pm Malcolm Nance brought up an interesting idea on the Independent American podcast. Fly loaded drones into Ukraine and allow Ukraine to take control of them , use to down Russian aircraft then land in Ukraine for refueling and reloading. A lend-lease kind of thing. Instead of no fly zone.
:rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: So, if we are going to start making rules that we are not allowed to report on what other people are saying unless if passes "untricky" legal argument, that would eliminate about 75% or more of our postings on the Fogbow.

I'll be sure to tell Malcolm that you find his "legal argument" tricky, although I don't think he was trying to make any kind of legal argument.

— Demetri Martin
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

Douglas MacGregor, nominated by Trump as ambassador to Germany; appointed by Trump as sr advisor to the Secretary of Defense, says Russian forces have been “too gentle” and “I don’t see anything heroic” about Zelensky.

This is the Putin wing of the GOP.
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

To be clear, the Russians are shooting in the air over their heads. But yeah.

Oleksiy Sorokin @mrsorokaa wrote: ⚡️Occupied regional capital Kherson is going full Orwell today.

Russians seized the local TV tower & began airing Russian propaganda networks. Now, SBU says they are moving in people from Crimea to stage a scene where Russian troops are greeted as “liberators.”

“War is Peace.”
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
Greatgrey
Verified: 💲8️⃣

Post by Greatgrey »

What's the Frequency, Kenneth?
Kriselda Gray
Verified:

Post by Kriselda Gray »

Foggy wrote: Fri Mar 04, 2022 12:33 pm Un-retweet is a very 21st century verb. I can but gape in wonder. :?
Off Topic
I LOVE your current avatar, Foggy - very evocative
Kriselda Gray
Verified:

!

Post by Kriselda Gray »

Foggy wrote: Fri Mar 04, 2022 2:55 pm So to summarize the thoughts in my dinky brainbone, the Russians are having real trouble completing the conquest of Ukraine, but they might have plenty more resources.
:snippity:
I'm against WWIII.
Ditto on that last comment!

One of the concerns I have is that while we're getting reports of a lot of low morale among the Russian troops, leading to soldiers trying to get captured or otherwise get out of combat, that means that most likely the weakest of their fighters are quickly being filtered out of the overall army, leaving the more committed soldiers to try and carry out their military goals. So, Russia ends up with a smaller number of soldiers overall, but the ones that are left are likely to be able to be more effective against the Ukrainian resistance. Right now, the soldiers who are (quite understandably) scared, depressed, confused by their leaderships lies and looking for a way out are the weak link in Russia's war chain. Once they're gone, I'm afraid it's going to get a lot harder for the Ukrainians and in a situation like that, it would be so easy to lose hope.

I know we can't directly intercede and I get why that is - see Foggy's last line that I quoted above - but I sure as Hel with there was a country that *could*
chancery
Verified:

Post by chancery »

RVInit wrote: Sat Mar 05, 2022 6:03 pm
chancery wrote: Sat Mar 05, 2022 2:40 pm
:rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: So, if we are going to start making rules that we are not allowed to report on what other people are saying unless if passes "untricky" legal argument, that would eliminate about 75% or more of our postings on the Fogbow.

I'll be sure to tell Malcolm that you find his "legal argument" tricky, although I don't think he was trying to make any kind of legal argument.
Who said anything about "rules that we are not allowed to report on what other people are saying." :confuzzled:

What I meant was that Nance's suggestion implied a "legalistic" argument that flying drones into Ukraine that were turned over to Ukrainian forces shouldn't be treated as the equivalent of the U.S. operating the drones against Russian forces itself.

There's no umpire here. The goal is to avoid a nuclear confrontation, and clever-sounding fig leafs won't help.
Kriselda Gray
Verified:

Post by Kriselda Gray »

Foggy wrote: Fri Mar 04, 2022 6:28 pm Corduroy roads like that were used by the British in the run-up to the Battle of Saratoga, too also.

But I have no idea how a horsie is supposed to keep good footing on a surface like that. That's gotta be brutal on the horsies.
My understanding is that when using horses (or, before that, men) to pull the heavy objects on the tree trunks, they'd lay the tree trunks in shortly in front of the heavy object but behind the horses or men. Once the object had rolled over a section of the trunks, they'd pick up the ones from behind it and bring them around and put them in front of it again. But that kept the horses/men from having to walk on the tree trunks and let them make use of the nice, flat(ish) ground.
Kriselda Gray
Verified:

Post by Kriselda Gray »

bill_g wrote: Sat Mar 05, 2022 12:49 pm Needs verification.

Hat tip to suranis about deleting the ? and beyond from the link.
I know Russia isn't a member of the ICC (neither are we) but is there any organization that could hold them responsible for their war crimes? Are they a party to the Geneva Convention? What kind of enforcement does it provide?

Return to “Russian Invasion of Ukraine”