Tim Eyman--Washington state tax nut

These people are weird, but we like to find out what weird people are doing and thinking. It's a hobby.
Azastan
Verified:

Tim Eyman--Washington state tax nut

Post by Azastan »

I thought we had mentioned WA state's favourite initiative filer for NO MOAR TAXES, but it must have been in the previous iteration of Fogbow.

Anyway, poor Tim is getting served poorly just in time for the holidays:

Tim Eyman, the serial initiative filer and conservative provocateur who owes the state of Washington more than $5 million after years of “particularly egregious” campaign finance violations, is in default and is now staring at the court-ordered sale of his assets.
Eyman is under a court-ordered plan requiring him to make monthly $10,000 payments to pay down his fine and other fees. He has missed his last four monthly payments.
A U.S. bankruptcy judge last week found Eyman in default and, over Eyman’s protest, ordered his bankruptcy case shifted from Chapter 11 to Chapter 7.
Chapter 7 means that the court appoints a trustee who will be responsible for selling Eyman’s assets and distributing the proceeds to his debtors, in this case, primarily, the state of Washington.
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Re: Tim Eyman--Washington state tax nut

Post by bill_g »

Haha.
notorial dissent

Post by notorial dissent »

Azastan wrote: Fri Dec 24, 2021 8:07 am I thought we had mentioned WA state's favourite initiative filer for NO MOAR TAXES, but it must have been in the previous iteration of Fogbow.

Tim Eyman, the serial initiative filer and conservative provocateur who owes the state of Washington more than $5 million after years of “particularly egregious” campaign finance violations, is in default and is now staring at the court-ordered sale of his assets.
Eyman is under a court-ordered plan requiring him to make monthly $10,000 payments to pay down his fine and other fees. He has missed his last four monthly payments.
A U.S. bankruptcy judge last week found Eyman in default and, over Eyman’s protest, ordered his bankruptcy case shifted from Chapter 11 to Chapter 7.
Chapter 7 means that the court appoints a trustee who will be responsible for selling Eyman’s assets and distributing the proceeds to his debtors, in this case, primarily, the state of Washington.
How tragic!!! :point: :rotflmao:
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

I saw that yesterday. Well deserved coal in his stocking.
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

Kendra wrote: Fri Dec 24, 2021 12:22 pm I saw that yesterday. Well deserved coal in his stocking.
He can’t keep either coal or stocking.
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

Well he should just draw the money from his Birth Certificate account. Or give them an IOU.
Hic sunt dracones
noblepa

Post by noblepa »

Suranis wrote: Fri Dec 24, 2021 12:29 pm Well he should just draw the money from his Birth Certificate account. Or give them an IOU.
Yeah, can't he give them a promisory note? I thought that those things were the same as cash.
Azastan
Verified:

Post by Azastan »

pipistrelle wrote: Fri Dec 24, 2021 12:23 pm
Kendra wrote: Fri Dec 24, 2021 12:22 pm I saw that yesterday. Well deserved coal in his stocking.
He can’t keep either coal or stocking.
And he's vowing to keep fighting (is grifted money shielded from being seized in bankruptcy?):
Eyman said he is “absolutely committed to appealing the AG’s ridiculously unconstitutional restrictions so what he’s doing to me and my family never happens to anyone else ever again.”

“The process has already been the punishment,” Eyman said in a statement. “The last 9 years of investigation and litigation has cost me everything I’ve ever earned in my lifetime.”
John Thomas8

Post by John Thomas8 »

Suranis wrote: Fri Dec 24, 2021 12:29 pm Well he should just draw the money from his Birth Certificate account. Or give them an IOU.
I keep hearing about this "birth certificate account" and can't fit my head around it.
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

John Thomas8 wrote: Fri Dec 24, 2021 3:13 pm I keep hearing about this "birth certificate account" and can't fit my head around it.
The core of is that people have no real idea why money in bank accounts accrue interest. So you just tell someone the government put money into a bank account when you are born, then harvest the interest that magically appears in the account. That's essentially all there is to the basic concept.

You could substitute "the stock market" for "the bank" in some variations

The rest is stimulating a bit of greed in the Mark so they will buy into the possibility that it is true.
Hic sunt dracones
scirreeve

Post by scirreeve »

LOL - I read that earlier today. He is such a fucking loser poot.
noblepa

Post by noblepa »

Suranis wrote: Fri Dec 24, 2021 3:23 pm
John Thomas8 wrote: Fri Dec 24, 2021 3:13 pm I keep hearing about this "birth certificate account" and can't fit my head around it.
The core of is that people have no real idea why money in bank accounts accrue interest. So you just tell someone the government put money into a bank account when you are born, then harvest the interest that magically appears in the account. That's essentially all there is to the basic concept.

You could substitute "the stock market" for "the bank" in some variations

The rest is stimulating a bit of greed in the Mark so they will buy into the possibility that it is true.
If that worked, why wouldn't the government simply deposit money in its own name? And what happens to the principle when you die and haven't claimed your "birth bond"?

I have heard variations on the story in which the original deposit is not the government's own money. It comes from the payment they received when they sold each of us to The Vatican/George Soros/The Lizard People/China/(insert your own bogeyman here).

Not only do these people not understand why bank deposits accrue interest, I submit that they have no real idea what money and wealth actually are. The concept of money and the way an economy and banking systems work are far more complex than most people realize, right Gregg?

When I was much younger, one of my first jobs after college was as a computer programmer at a large-ish bank in Cleveland. One night, the DDA (Demand Deposit Account - checking) posting program crashed and I got a call about 2:00 am. Back then you couldn't dial in from your home computer. I had to get in my car and drive to the operations center. I was sitting there with a cup of vending machine coffee, a hexadecimal calculator and a memory dump, trying to figure out why the program crashed. It suddenly dawned on me that I was playing with about a billion dollars of other people's money. The files weren't just keeping track of money or wealth that existed somewhere else in the real world, like a parts inventory at a car factory. Those ones and zeroes actually WERE the money.

If the parts inventory I mentioned was somehow lost, the parts themselves would still be there and could be counted. If the files I was dealing with were lost and could not be recovered, that money would effectively disappear. So would the bank, for that matter.
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Post by bill_g »

noblepa wrote: Sat Dec 25, 2021 1:27 am If the parts inventory I mentioned was somehow lost, the parts themselves would still be there and could be counted. If the files I was dealing with were lost and could not be recovered, that money would effectively disappear. So would the bank, for that matter.
No pressure there. (gulp)
noblepa

Post by noblepa »

bill_g wrote: Sat Dec 25, 2021 7:57 am
noblepa wrote: Sat Dec 25, 2021 1:27 am If the parts inventory I mentioned was somehow lost, the parts themselves would still be there and could be counted. If the files I was dealing with were lost and could not be recovered, that money would effectively disappear. So would the bank, for that matter.
Yeah. When I realized that, I had to take a break, get another cup of coffee and calm down before I returned to my task. It WAS a bit jarring for a 23 year old kid to realize what he was holding in his hands.

Of course, we had backups of backups, so losing the data entirely was unlikely in the extreme, but still . . .
keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

Post by keith »

An Australian study in the mid 80's came to the conclusion that if a bank's entire computer system failed for no more than three days the bank itself would cease to exist. I never bought into that doomsday scenario 100%, but it did generate a lot interest in funding proper backup systems at the board level, and it was a lot easier to get stuff done for a while.
Has everybody heard about the bird?
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

noblepa wrote: Sat Dec 25, 2021 5:07 pm
Yeah. When I realized that, I had to take a break, get another cup of coffee and calm down before I returned to my task. It WAS a bit jarring for a 23 year old kid to realize what he was holding in his hands.

Of course, we had backups of backups, so losing the data entirely was unlikely in the extreme, but still . . .
Say that again when your master input tape suddenly becomes unreadable, and you need to make a step back to the tapes of the previous day to rebuild by running the previous day production runs. And then get the surprise that the master input tapes for the previous day are suddenly unreadable, repeat and rinse and tears and sweat until the second to last generation is workable (out of a seven day pool). So 6x 4+ hours of rerun to reconstruct "current" state, then catch up late additional three days of missed productions. :doh: Investigation into this issue showed that the tape pool used for these generations showed wear and tear as they had never been replaced since the beginning or time. Also determined that for this kind of critical data a better quality tape product with slightly higher price tag would overall be more cost effective.

PS. Emergency solution at the time would have been to restart off of separate biweekly or monthly backups, with getting input freshly keypunched to cards from paper trail. Disruption would have been in the range of a month :cantlook:
shannon
Verified:

Post by shannon »

Azastan wrote: Fri Dec 24, 2021 8:07 am I thought we had mentioned WA state's favourite initiative filer for NO MOAR TAXES, but it must have been in the previous iteration of Fogbow.

My heart bleeds Purple Polkadots
Mad Geoscientist GRADUATE STUDENT in Training
noblepa

Post by noblepa »

keith wrote: Sat Dec 25, 2021 6:13 pm
An Australian study in the mid 80's came to the conclusion that if a bank's entire computer system failed for no more than three days the bank itself would cease to exist. I never bought into that doomsday scenario 100%, but it did generate a lot interest in funding proper backup systems at the board level, and it was a lot easier to get stuff done for a while.
We almost had that happen once. It was in mid-december of 1973, I think.

Banks are required by law to produce a transaction journal and a trial balance every day.

Our DDA posting program had checks and balances six ways from sunday, in order to stop anything from getting out of balance. Unfortunately, it turns out that the balancing totals for the deposits and withdrawals for a single day could not handle any number larger than $999,999,999.99. (For you older techies out there, that is a six byte packed decimal number)

This was back when Christmas Club accounts were still a thing. People deposited a little bit every payday throughout the year, and withdrew it all in December to buy presents.

One day, a lot of people cleaned out their Christmas accounts. Add that to the normal traffic and the withdrawals for that day exceeded $1B. The computer blithely threw away the leading 1, which, of course threw the system way out of balance. It should be the case that yesterdays-balance + todays-deposits - todays-withdrawals = todays-balance. But when you through away $1B of withdrawals, that equation isn't going to work. As we debugged the problem, we discovered that all would be well if BOTH deposits and withdrawals for a single day exceeded $1B, but on this fateful day, Deposits were less than $1B and withdrawals were more than $1B. At the time, our DDA total deposits usually ran about $700-800M.

Our system was set up so that if, after running the posting program, anything was out of balance, it would refuse to run any of the follow-on programs, mostly reports, including the aforementioned transaction journal and trial balance.

This put the entire bank in a pretty pickle. By law, the bank wasn't supposed to open its doors if those two reports were not produced. If the bank (National City Bank of Cleveland, now part of PNC) had not opened its doors, it would have been seen as a bank failure. A failure of a bank of that size would have had major ramifications nationally, even though the bank was actually still very much solvent.

While we worked diligently to correct the problem, the bank opened as usual. I never found out if the higher-ups in the bank simply chose to ignore the law, or if they quietly contacted the authorities, explained the situation and got approval to open anyway.

I was only involved with the posting program, but I was relatively inexperienced, so, given the importance of the situation, others fixed the problem. I don't know if we were able to make our usual deposit with the Federal Reserve or not. That was a different set of programs.
Timathy

Post by Timathy »

Wow, I didn't even know about that, honestly! So, was this situation solved anyhow or not? I do agree that he deserved that, and I think he didn't even expect it, especially at that time of the year. The last thing I read about this case was about the Washington State Superior Court holding some oral arguments to determine whether the state's capital gains tax is an excise tax or an income tax, as that's unconstitutional. And the fact that Tim said about the income tax only made the situation even worse. However, he has a good point there, and I even want to start making paystubs on https://www.paystubcreator.net/ as I genuinely don't want the income to be taxed.
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

Welcome, Timathy. :bighug:
The more I learn about this planet, the more improbable it all seems. :confuzzled:
Azastan
Verified:

Post by Azastan »

Timathy wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 7:13 am Wow, I didn't even know about that, honestly! So, was this situation solved anyhow or not? I do agree that he deserved that, and I think he didn't even expect it, especially at that time of the year.
The latest I've seen has Tim bravely defending himself against Bob Ferguson's crack team of lawyers against poor little Tim.
...where we talk about the AG bullying my lawyer off the case by saying he “wasn’t competent” to represent me because he was a sole practitioner who couldn’t possibly handle the AG’s unlimited legal barrage.

So for the next 9 months, I (a non-lawyer) was forced to defend myself against the AG’s team of professional attorneys, paralegals, and staff.
(sub-context, SEND MONEY)

He's still busily trying to make himself relevant (and SEND MONEY).
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

Hi, Timathy!!! :wave:
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
jcolvin2
Verified:

Post by jcolvin2 »

Timathy wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 7:13 am And the fact that Tim said about the income tax only made the situation even worse. However, he has a good point there, and I even want to start making paystubs on https://www.paystubcreator.net/ as I genuinely don't want the income to be taxed.
What income do you not want to be taxed? I think the tax only reaches profits from the sale of long term capital gains assets (not including real estate or retirement accounts) if the amount of such profits exceed $250,000 on an annual basis. I do not understand how using a "paystubcreator" might help avoid the tax.
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

Welcome whittakerturbeville! New voices always welcome here! :bighug:
The more I learn about this planet, the more improbable it all seems. :confuzzled:
Azastan
Verified:

Post by Azastan »

whittakerturbeville wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 7:58 am Oh, I have no idea how I missed this piece of information. Thanks for posting it! I remember reading about this guy years ago. Isn't he one of the most prominent anti-tax activists in America? That'll do him well then! Like anyone else, I hate paying taxes with all my heart. However, I understand that it is absolutely necessary. Cheers!
This won't keep our boy down! It's yet another grifting opportunity to him.

(are you local to the PNW?)

Return to “Other weirdos”