I might be a juror

mojosapien
Occupation: Desktop support. Retired juror for the next three years, thanks.
Verified:

I might be a juror

Post by mojosapien »

In the goddam case
Think like a fortune cookie. ©2022-Mojosapien
mojosapien
Verified:

Re: I might be a juror

Post by mojosapien »

SORI vs <-> Opiods
I'll take my chances. <-first born->
mojosapien
Verified:

Post by mojosapien »

6 vs 20 alts?????
John Thomas8

Post by John Thomas8 »

Being on a jury was some of the most fun I've ever had.
mojosapien
Verified:

Post by mojosapien »

they have now found me....

The form has signed and returned gloriously with zero conditions
<<-->>Joan Baez
Respect to the judge who has addressed us all.
mojosapien
Verified:

Post by mojosapien »

Goddam ad infinitum.
johnpcapitalist
Verified: ✅ Totally legit!

Post by johnpcapitalist »

The best advice I ever got was to reschedule your jury service for a Friday, ideally between Thanksgiving and the end of the year. Major trials usually start on either Mondays or Tuesdays, and Fridays are usually reserved for one-day trials like drunk driving.

The suggested backup plan was to come across as a bloviating know-it-all, which some people tell me is not much of a stretch for me. Not biased towards one side or the other, but acting as if you're the smartest guy in the room.

#1 worked for me last year. I got summoned in June, scheduled for a Friday in December, and got a text Thursday night saying I wasn't needed. I'm off the hook for five years now.
Azastan
Verified:

Post by Azastan »

johnpcapitalist wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 9:18 am The best advice I ever got was to reschedule your jury service for a Friday, ideally between Thanksgiving and the end of the year.
You can reschedule your jury service here, but...I don't think you 'pick your date' quite the same way you do.
Estiveo
Verified:

Post by Estiveo »

Yeah, I don't know about elsewhere, but here, jury duty always starts on Monday with you on call throughout the week. The one time I did have to reschedule, I got to pick a week, not a day.

That said, I've found my two times serving on a jury to be rewarding experiences. I even got to be foreman once.
Image Image Image Image
Maybenaut
Verified: ✅✅

Post by Maybenaut »

I honestly don’t understand why some people don’t want to serve on a jury. It’s one of the few selfless acts you can do for a stranger.

I’ve never been summoned, but I’d gladly serve if called.
"Hey! We left this England place because it was bogus, and if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too!" -- Thomas Jefferson
johnpcapitalist
Verified: ✅ Totally legit!

Post by johnpcapitalist »

Maybenaut wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 9:37 am I honestly don’t understand why some people don’t want to serve on a jury. It’s one of the few selfless acts you can do for a stranger.

I’ve never been summoned, but I’d gladly serve if called.
I would be happy to serve on a jury for a simple trial that lasted a day or two. However, it would be a serious problem for work if I got grabbed for a four month corporate civil suit. The company would pay my salary, so it wouldn't be an economic hardship for me. But, like many highly skilled professionals, my unique experience would not be easily replaced on a short term basis.
Estiveo
Verified:

Post by Estiveo »

Maybenaut wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 9:37 am I honestly don’t understand why some people don’t want to serve on a jury. It’s one of the few selfless acts you can do for a stranger.
:yeahthat:

During selection the first time I served, the judge wasn't having it with anyone's excuses or attitude. There was a pool of about 75 people for a projected 4 day trial, and what a bunch of crybabies! Much hardships!

I only saw him excuse two people, a new mom with an infant at home, and a guy who was heading off for an 18 month assignment overseas. Everyone else trying to skive off was rescheduled after a lecture on civic responsibility, and being asked how many weeks it would take to resolve their "minor scheduling issues."
Image Image Image Image
tesibria

Post by tesibria »

Estiveo wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 10:13 am
:yeahthat:

During selection the first time I served, the judge wasn't having it with anyone's excuses or attitude. There was a pool of about 75 people for a projected 4 day trial, and what a bunch of crybabies! Much hardships!

I only saw him excuse two people, a new mom with an infant at home, and a guy who was heading off for an 18 month assignment overseas. Everyone else trying to skive off was rescheduled after a lecture on civic responsibility, and being asked how many weeks it would take to resolve their "minor scheduling issues."
:clap: :clap: :clap:
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

Here you are called in for one day. If you don't get picked that day, your obligation is fulfilled. You can also call in the night before to see if you are still needed.

I have never served. A couple of times I had legitimate reasons (illness, out of the country), but the last time, I was chosen. The same day I was picked (literally at the last moment of the day), came when we had my granddaughter for the week. If I'd been selected, it would have been inconvenient, but okay as my husband could have taken care of her (about four years old at the time). Later the same day, hours before I was picked, my husband had a case that was suddenly going to trial. He had to meet with the attorneys and prep for testimony, so watching her suddenly was a really big problem. I plead my case to the person (strange name; can't come up with it now*) to take to the judge. He told me to come in for duty the next day, and he would let me know then. I went in, and was told the judge had excused me. He also said I was very lucky as he was probably the only judge on the bench that would have done that. I really appreciated it. I don't know what we would have done had he not, as the babysitting was out of my son-in-law and daughter's business necessity.

It was actually a high-profile criminal case, and normally I would have liked sitting on that trial. The trial did last the whole week, and the man is spending life in prison.

*Edited: the strange name is Tip Staff.

Also edited a few typos.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
neeneko

Post by neeneko »

Huh.

Oddly enough, I've never actually been called to jury duty.. ever. My partner has about half a dozen times over the last decade, but for whatever reason, my number just never came up.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

neeneko wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 11:12 am Huh.

Oddly enough, I've never actually been called to jury duty.. ever. My partner has about half a dozen times over the last decade, but for whatever reason, my number just never came up.
I'd been flying under the radar for a long time, but a few months before that jury summons, I had changed my political affiliation from Independent to Democratic so that I could vote in the primary (Independents can't here), and I'm positive that's why I was summoned.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
neeneko

Post by neeneko »

AndyinPA wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 11:20 am I'd been flying under the radar for a long time, but a few months before that jury summons, I had changed my political affiliation from Independent to Democratic so that I could vote in the primary (Independents can't here), and I'm positive that's why I was summoned.
Huh. You think making a change bumped you up the queue or something?

Heh.. since moving from PA to DE a few years ago, my partner has been summoned yet again. Still all quiet for me.
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

I've been called twice. Once I was selected (and juror #1 at the head of the line), case was an assault charge. We jurors spent more time in the jury room while the lawyers and prosecutors argued. After a few days of that, mistrial was declared.

Second time it was a father/daughter rape thing and jury pool was huge. I thought when my drawn number was in the 50s range chances of getting in the chair was slim. During the voir whatever they call thing, the defense attorney gave me a pass.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

neeneko wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 12:06 pm
AndyinPA wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 11:20 am I'd been flying under the radar for a long time, but a few months before that jury summons, I had changed my political affiliation from Independent to Democratic so that I could vote in the primary (Independents can't here), and I'm positive that's why I was summoned.
Huh. You think making a change bumped you up the queue or something?

Heh.. since moving from PA to DE a few years ago, my partner has been summoned yet again. Still all quiet for me.
Yeah, I do. I hadn't had a juror summons in more than 20 years. It could have been a coincidence, but I didn't think so. No way to know for sure, of course. I had thought of changing back, but never did. I've never been called back.
bob

Post by bob »

Juror lists are culled from a variety of sources, including voter registration (which would include a change, such as affiliation).

So it is quite possible making this change put you back in the pool.

But it also could have been renewing your driver's license, paying property tax, etc.
Image ImageImage
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

bob wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 12:26 pm Juror lists are culled from a variety of sources, including voter registration (which would include a change, such as affiliation).

So it is quite possible making this change put you back in the pool.

But it also could have been renewing your driver's license, paying property tax, etc.
I changed my voter registration as I renewed my driver's license! Double whammy! :biggrin:
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

I had always wanted to be a juror. I got the call for a federal jury after I retired because of fibromyalgia pain and random incidents of acute energy loss. I wanted to serve but felt it unfair to the litigants as I might be "normal" one day and unable to drive the next. Then there are the acute vasovagal/ISB incidents where I look like I'm about to die and an ambulance is needed. I would have handled the Victorian social world well - drama and fainting couches. :biggrin:
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

mojosapien wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 1:53 am Goddam ad infinitum.
If you get selected, mojo, stop reporting it here and elsewhere. If we don't see you for a while we know you are doing your civic duty.
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
bob

Post by bob »

I've been in the box (i e., examined by the attorneys) twice: once for a high-profile murder case, once for sex-in-public case.

The prosecutor bumped me both times.
Image ImageImage
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

I've been called a few times, but every time I've just had to go sit at the courthouse for the day and then get released with a note that I'm good for the next four years or whatever. Always a bridesmaid.

It's always had the uncanny ability to come at a particularly inopportune time, but the only time I got out of it (or tried, for that matter) was immediately following the birth of my son, where I asked for and received a deferment for a few months, after which I went in and didn't get selected.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams

Return to “Law and Lawsuits”