"Freedom Convoys" "People's Convoy" Canadian & US Trucker Protests against COVID Vaccine Mandates & Other Grievances

Trying to make sense of a crazy world, with limited success mostly
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Re: "Freedom Convoy" Canadian Trucker Protest against COVID Vaccine Mandates and Other Grievances

Post by raison de arizona »

I notice there doesn't seem to be any actual trucks in this video...
Truckistan Amb. Poso 🏁 @JackPosobiec wrote: The Freedom Convoy has dispatched an element to the Ottawa Airport who are just driving around the loop honking all morning
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
Mr brolin
Verified: ✅ as vaguely humanoid

Re: "Freedom Convoy" Canadian Trucker Protest against COVID Vaccine Mandates and Other Grievances

Post by Mr brolin »

So...... the extent of the support appears to consist of one SUV driving onto an on ramp .... :confuzzled: :yankyank:
bob

Post by bob »

RVInit wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 10:13 am I really wish reporters would quit saying the Freedom Convoy "by Canadian truckers". The Freedom Convoy HAS some Canadian truckers but it mostly consists of outsiders.
Speaking of which, has anyone seen Mike Volin lately? :think:
Image ImageImage
RVInit

Post by RVInit »

bob wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 1:22 pm
RVInit wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 10:13 am I really wish reporters would quit saying the Freedom Convoy "by Canadian truckers". The Freedom Convoy HAS some Canadian truckers but it mostly consists of outsiders.
Speaking of which, has anyone seen Mike Volin lately? :think:
:lol: I did that on purpose.
“A know-it-all is a person who knows everything except for how annoying he is.”

— Demetri Martin
MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

As much as I understood and empathized with BLM shutting down freeways with their protests, I also recognized that it was a technique which alienated many people in the community. At least the freeway shutdowns from BLM protests were relatively short lived. The Canadian truckers (or whoever) are pissing off a LOT of people. A similar protest shutting down freeways on Super Bowl Sunday will also alienate a lot of folks. But, I guess they really don’t care.
raison de arizona

I'm not a fan of BLM shutting down freeways, but it was a hassle when they shut down one for an hour, this is shutting down a whole border for weeks. Far more than just a hassle. Also:

Numbers are dwindling? Maybe?
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
filly

Post by filly »

It's currently 37 degrees F in Ottawa but when it gets colder later today, bring out the water cannons.
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Truckers' bridge blockade forces shutdowns at auto plants
The truck blockade at the U.S. border by Canadians protesting the country’s COVID-19 restrictions is tightening the screws on the auto industry, forcing Ford, Toyota and General Motors to shut down plants or otherwise curtail production

https://abcnews.go.com/Health/wireStory ... s-82799596
Ford said its Windsor, Ontario, engine plant reopened Thursday after being shut down on Wednesday because of a lack of parts. But the factory and the company’s assembly plant in Oakville, Ontario, near Toronto, were operating at reduced capacity, the automaker said.

On the U.S. side, GM canceled the second shift on Wednesday and the first shift on Thursday at its SUV factory outside Lansing, Michigan.

Toyota said it will not be able to manufacture anything at three Canadian plants for the rest of the week because of parts shortages. Honda reported that its plant in Alliston, Ontario, north of Toronto, had to suspend production on one assembly line on Wednesday, but that it was back in operation Thursday.

Stellantis, formerly Fiat Chrysler, said it was forced it to shorten shifts at several plants.
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Gregg

Post by Gregg »

RVInit wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 11:19 am
raison de arizona wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 11:09 am They're putting Americans out of work at this point, that aspect should be publicized widely.
This too. Also.
Yes, my motorcar plant is closing Monday.
Supreme Commander, Imperial Illuminati Air Force
:dog:

You don't have to consent, but I'm gonna tase you anyway.
Gregg

Post by Gregg »

raison de arizona wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 1:02 pm I notice there doesn't seem to be any actual trucks in this video...
Truckistan Amb. Poso 🏁 @JackPosobiec wrote: The Freedom Convoy has dispatched an element to the Ottawa Airport who are just driving around the loop honking all morning
So "dispatched an element" looks an awful lot like "conspiracy to something" to me.
Supreme Commander, Imperial Illuminati Air Force
:dog:

You don't have to consent, but I'm gonna tase you anyway.
filly

Post by filly »

I saw on Twitter that these people are making multiple fake 911 calls to the Ottawa emergency center. Not verified but the probability of truth is high.
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Noticed on Google Maps that the Peace Bridge between Buffalo NY and Ontario is red with traffic. Don't know if this is a blockade or just heavy traffic trying to avoid the Detroit area bridges.
ScreenHunter_366 Feb. 10 13.45.jpg
ScreenHunter_366 Feb. 10 13.45.jpg (173.84 KiB) Viewed 973 times
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

I’m not at home right now, posting from my iPhone. But I used Google Maps to get a close up look at Ottawa and you can see all the streets that are closed in the downtown area. And looking at Detroit/Windsor, you can see the bridge that is closed there and all the streets closed in Windsor.
Kriselda Gray
Verified:

Post by Kriselda Gray »

MN-Skeptic wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 1:50 pm As much as I understood and empathized with BLM shutting down freeways with their protests, I also recognized that it was a technique which alienated many people in the community. At least the freeway shutdowns from BLM protests were relatively short lived. The Canadian truckers (or whoever) are pissing off a LOT of people. A similar protest shutting down freeways on Super Bowl Sunday will also alienate a lot of folks. But, I guess they really don’t care.
No, they want people pissed off. They want people angry enough about wht they're doing to demand the government give them what they want so they'll go away. I suppose you're right in that they don't care what damage the bad PR does to the trucking industry in the long haul, but right now the main thing they care about is making people angry.
raison de arizona

Kriselda Gray wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 3:30 pm
MN-Skeptic wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 1:50 pm As much as I understood and empathized with BLM shutting down freeways with their protests, I also recognized that it was a technique which alienated many people in the community. At least the freeway shutdowns from BLM protests were relatively short lived. The Canadian truckers (or whoever) are pissing off a LOT of people. A similar protest shutting down freeways on Super Bowl Sunday will also alienate a lot of folks. But, I guess they really don’t care.
No, they want people pissed off. They want people angry enough about wht they're doing to demand the government give them what they want so they'll go away. I suppose you're right in that they don't care what damage the bad PR does to the trucking industry in the long haul, but right now the main thing they care about is making people angry.
Methinks they are miscalculating what people are going to demand. We don't negotiate with terrorists! That is so 70s.
Kriselda Gray
Verified:

Post by Kriselda Gray »

raison de arizona wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 3:51 pm
Kriselda Gray wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 3:30 pm
Methinks they are miscalculating what people are going to demand. We don't negotiate with terrorists! That is so 70s.
I hope so, but with so many people seemingly ok with so much of what the right-wing has been doing, I'm not all that confident. I mean, here, there's a good chance some of people who helped plan the terror attack on Jan 6th will get elected - or re-elected - to office
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Dozens of vehicles were involved in disrupting traffic at Ottawa's airport

https://www.cnn.com/americas/live-news/ ... index.html

Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Canadian government is sending additional officers and resources to several protests

https://www.cnn.com/americas/live-news/ ... index.html
Prime Minister Justin Trudeau's government announced it would send additional officers and resources to protests throughout the country, adding that the Royal Canadian Mounted Police, Canada’s national police force, continue to show decisive action at protests across the country.

“The RCMP are going to be sending additional reinforcements to Ottawa. I also can advise that the RCMP will be sending reinforcements to Windsor, and in addition to that, the RCMP have added additional resources at Coutts in Alberta,” said Marco Mendicino, Canada’s public safety minister, during a news briefing in Ottawa Thursday.

Mendicino said he would not be disclosing details for operational reasons.

“The plan is to make sure police have all the resources they need,” he said, adding, “our top priority is to make sure that these illegal blockades end.”
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Canadian officials seek injunction to clear Ambassador Bridge blockade

https://www.mlive.com/public-interest/2 ... ckade.html
Windsor officials requested a court injunction Thursday, Feb. 10 to clear protesters blocking the Ambassador Bridge on the Canadian sign of the international crossing.

The action will enable police to remove demonstrators and restore the flow of traffic on the busiest trade route between Michigan and Canada.

“The economic harm that this occupation is having on international trade is not sustainable, and it must come to an end,” said Windsor Mayor Drew Dilkens during a press briefing.

Frustrations escalated on both sides of the border Thursday as a Canadian trucker protest entered a fourth day.
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Federal Conservatives reverse course on supporting trucker blockades, call for an end to all barricades

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/politic ... ter-first/
The federal Conservatives have reversed course and called for the trucker blockades at border crossings to end, as the crisis has grown ever bigger with a third demonstration in Manitoba joining those in Alberta and Ontario.

“I am asking you to take down the blockades,” interim Conservative Leader Candice Bergen said in the House of Commons Thursday morning. “It’s time to remove the barricades and the trucks for the sake of the economy.”

Before her election as interim leader, Ms. Bergen met with protesters blockading downtown Ottawa last week and called them “passionate, patriotic and peaceful.” She has since called on Prime Minister Justin Trudeau to extend an “olive branch” to the demonstrators and meet with them.

“To all of you who are taking part in the protests. I believe the time has come for you to take down the barricades, stop the disruptive action and come together. The economy that you want to see reopen is hurting,” she said. “Farmers, manufacturers, small businesses and families are suffering. I believe this is not what you want to do.”
Chilidog

Post by Chilidog »

Good luck getting those demons back into their box.
poplove
Verified: ✅💚💙💜☮️💐🌈⚽️✅

Post by poplove »

talia jane
@taliaotg
A trucker convoy chat created to organize supplies for a state on the East Coast won Olympic gold in mental gymnastics today when someone suggested they center POC voices to make it harder for mainstream media to note the convoy’s popularity with white nationalists.

poplove
Verified: ✅💚💙💜☮️💐🌈⚽️✅

Post by poplove »

Funds for the protest are frozen for now.
Katie Simpson
@CBCKatie
NEW - Ontario Premier Doug Ford’s Office put out this statement about the protest fundraiser GiveSendGo:
Luke
Location: @orly_licious With Pete Buttigieg and the other "open and defiant homosexuals" --Bryan Fischer AFA

Post by Luke »

Now that this nonsense has started interrupting the economy, like Gregg and others, mentioned, the backlash is going to be swift.

More on the Doug Ford tweet above. This is interesting, what will GiveSendGo do about it?

Andrew Lawton @AndrewLawton 3h
BREAKING: The Ontario government says it has effectively frozen all donations made to the trucker convoy through GiveSendGo. It is now a criminal offence to have any "dealing" with money from donations through this platform.

Lt Root Beer of the Mighty 699th. Fogbow 💙s titular Mama June in Fogbow's Favourite Show™ Mama June: From Not To Hot! Fogbow's Theme Song™ Edith Massey's "I Got The Evidence!" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5jDHZd0JAg

Return to “Current Politics”