2016 US Senate: Florida

Joseph Robidoux III

Post by Joseph Robidoux III »

Former congressman Allen West (R-Fla.) declined Wednesday to rule out a primary challenge against Sen. Marco Rubio (R-Fla.) in 2016, but also noted that it would be a “pretty heavy lift.”

West said he will not run for office in 2014 but is looking at doing so in 2016. That happens to be when Rubio is up for reelection. West could also run for Congress again, but no other statewide offices are up in 2016.

“As I have always said, I will serve this country in whatever capacity I possibly can, and look, my most important concern is my country,” West said. He added that he might step forward “if I see people that are not taking our country down the right path, if I see people that are not standing up for the right type of principles and putting their own party politics before what is best for the United States of America.”

West lost reelection last year to now-Rep. Patrick Murphy (D-Fla.) in a swing district.

[/break1]washingtonpost.com/blogs/post-politics/wp/2013/06/19/allen-west-wont-rule-out-primary-against-rubio/]http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/pos ... nst-rubio/Then-Congressman Allen West couldn't win election to Congress against a little known candidate in a district (FL-18) rated R+3 by the Cook Political Report yet now he believes he could win a state-wide primary election against a well known and charismatic young conservative.

mimi

Post by mimi »

Yeah, but he'll throw a lot of mud.

Joseph Robidoux III

Post by Joseph Robidoux III »

Yeah, but he'll throw a lot of mud.For most Republican primaries (see [/break1]thefogbow.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=516168#p516168]2014 US Senate: Alaska) I'd say great. However if a Rubio-West primary battle occurs I suspect Allen West's reputation as a hothead would minimize any mud slinging he engages in.

esseff44

Re: 2016 US Senate: Florida

Post by esseff44 »

The US Senate seat now occupied by GOP Presidental candidate Marco Rubio will be up for election in the next general. The main candidates for Democrats going into the primary are Rep. Alan Grayson and Rep. Patrick Murphy who beat out Allen West but is a former Republican who tends to vote with Republicans. Grayson is leading Murphy in what few polls have been taken.

On the GOP side, the Lt. Gov. Carlos Lopez-Cantera has name recognition. He Rubio's friend and also a Cuban-American. Also running and with the lead is Ron DeSantis, a very conservative right winger from North Florida.

We can expect a lot of heat and light emanating from these races.

Grayson is know as a loud-mouth and a bold, brash type who draws outside the lines when it comes to campaigning. As mentioned in an earlier thread, he has gone through an unpleasant split from the mother of his five children. Grayson settled with Lolita after she admitted to bigamy, he was cleared of abuse charges and agreed to an annulment. I have not seen how much she got out of the settlement.

(Note to self: do not believe someone if they tell you they are divorced; check the court records to be sure especially if they came from another country and one where divorce is hard to get.)

More stuff on this race can be found in these two articles:
http://www.theatlantic.com/politics/arc ... te/398639/

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/os- ... story.html#

June bug

Post by June bug »

I can't stand Grayson on a bet, but none of the others in the major parties sound like reasonable alternatives. If I were a Florida voter, I think I'd have to look at third party choices.

Sterngard Friegen

Post by Sterngard Friegen »

Grayson is a reliable liberal. You don't have to go on a date with him to elect him. As long as he votes reliably liberal and caucuses with the Dems I'd vote for him. He wouldn't be my first choice though.

June bug

Post by June bug »

You're right that my personal feelings about him don't matter, :sterngard:. But...when I say I can't stand him on a bet, I'm not speaking personally. I think he's as bad a messenger for Democrats as any I've seen, and I think a lot of Florida Democrats would agree with me. If he's the nominee, it's not just that I don't think he'll win. Worse yet, I think he'll do real damage to the Democrats in a key 2016 swing state.

Addie

Post by Addie »

I'm not too crazy about him, but I'd vote for him.
"The very least you can do in your life is to figure out what you hope for." - Barbara Kingsolver

esseff44

Post by esseff44 »

The polls, though not recent, have Grayson and/or Murphy beating the two GOP likely winners. All things considered, the Dems need that seat and having Grayson keeping it for the next 6 years is a big plus on the Senate votes His record as a lawyer taking on corrupt government contractors is also a plus. He will not be popular with that group and it would be a good thing to have someone with that kind of experience as a watchdog.

If Trump is the GOP nominee, I can't see folks not voting for Hillary because Grayson is on the ballot as the Dem for Senate choice if is bluster the voters don't like.

jmj

Post by jmj »

Poll: Hurt by Trump, Rubio in 'too close to call' U.S. Senate race with Murphy
Democratic U.S. Rep. Patrick Murphy is catching up to Sen. Marco Rubio and is nearly tied with him in a new Quinnipiac University poll that suggests Donald Trump is a drag on the incumbent Republican.

Rubio has a marginal 3-point lead over Murphy, 48 percent to 45 percent, in the latest poll of likely voters. However, last month’s Quinnipiac poll showed Rubio ahead by 13 points, 50 percent to 37 percent. Factoring in the new poll's 3-point error-margin, the Senate race is now "too close to call," Quinnipiac said in a news release.

The cumulative 10-point shift in Murphy’s favor comes amid bad local press for the Democrat and relatively little paid media that would normally lead to such a change.

Quinnipiac’s assistant polling director, Peter A. Brown, suggested Trump’s struggles are hurting Rubio in Florida — just as he appears to be damaging Republican Sen. Pat Toomey in Pennsylvania. Toomey trails his Democratic challenger, Katie McGinty, in the portion of the poll surveying likely Pennsylvania voters.
Read more: http://www.politico.com/states/florida/ ... phy-104657

RVInit

Post by RVInit »

jmj wrote:Poll: Hurt by Trump, Rubio in 'too close to call' U.S. Senate race with Murphy
Democratic U.S. Rep. Patrick Murphy is catching up to Sen. Marco Rubio and is nearly tied with him in a new Quinnipiac University poll that suggests Donald Trump is a drag on the incumbent Republican.

Rubio has a marginal 3-point lead over Murphy, 48 percent to 45 percent, in the latest poll of likely voters. However, last month’s Quinnipiac poll showed Rubio ahead by 13 points, 50 percent to 37 percent. Factoring in the new poll's 3-point error-margin, the Senate race is now "too close to call," Quinnipiac said in a news release.

The cumulative 10-point shift in Murphy’s favor comes amid bad local press for the Democrat and relatively little paid media that would normally lead to such a change.

Quinnipiac’s assistant polling director, Peter A. Brown, suggested Trump’s struggles are hurting Rubio in Florida — just as he appears to be damaging Republican Sen. Pat Toomey in Pennsylvania. Toomey trails his Democratic challenger, Katie McGinty, in the portion of the poll surveying likely Pennsylvania voters.
Read more: http://www.politico.com/states/florida/ ... phy-104657
:fiesta: :happyfamily: :cheer1: :mbounce: :rockon: :banana: :happydance:

YES!
There is a serious amount of anti-Murphy advertisement, I see it all the time. I really thought he wouldn't have a chance against the onslaught.
"I know that human being and fish can coexist peacefully"
--- George W Bush

ImageImage

Notorial Dissent

Post by Notorial Dissent »

It would be so nice of LaRump to do that favor for Rubio after the drubbing he gave him in the Primaries. Couldn't happen to a nicer more deserving individual IMHO. :sarcasm:
The fact that you sincerely and wholeheartedly believe that the “Law of Gravity” is unconstitutional and a violation of your sovereign rights, does not absolve you of adherence to it.

RVInit

Post by RVInit »

Notorial Dissent wrote:It would be so nice of LaRump to do that favor for Rubio after the drubbing he gave him in the Primaries. Couldn't happen to a nicer more deserving individual IMHO. :sarcasm:
I agree. I can't stand Rubio, he's a typical tea bagger right down to the completely dismissive attitude he has toward any opinion different from his own. I hope I hope I hope I hope Murphy beats him. Murphy is the one who beat Allen West and made him a one term Representative.
"I know that human being and fish can coexist peacefully"
--- George W Bush

ImageImage

Notorial Dissent

Post by Notorial Dissent »

He's always struck me as petulant and condescending, as well as just generally dishonest.
The fact that you sincerely and wholeheartedly believe that the “Law of Gravity” is unconstitutional and a violation of your sovereign rights, does not absolve you of adherence to it.

esseff44

Post by esseff44 »

Murphy and Rubio both won their primaries by large margins. DW-S hangs on to her seat.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/pol ... story.html

Foggy

Post by Foggy »

Wow, Murphy kicked Grayson's ass. :dance:
For more information, read it again. || When science is outlawed, only outlaws will have science.

(Fogbow on PayPal)

MsDaisy

Post by MsDaisy »

Not just booed, he got booed clean off the stage! :thumbs:

Attempting To Woo Latino Voters, Marco Rubio Gets Booed At Orlando Festival
Florida Sen. Marco Rubio got booed off a stage in Orlando on Sunday, by a crowd that was overwhelmingly Latino.

It happened at Calle Orange, a street festival in downtown Orlando geared toward the city's large Puerto Rican community. The icy reception was an indication of the challenges that Rubio, a Republican of Cuban heritage, has faced in locking down support from Latinos in Florida as the state's Latino electorate has begun to shift to the left.

Some Latinos, including several people in the crowd, have expressed anger over his endorsement of Donald Trump, who kicked off his presidential campaign last year by disparaging Mexican immigrants.

At first, there was no visible hostility toward Rubio when he arrived at the festival on Sunday. He was greeted by a group of volunteers wearing Rubio campaign t-shirts and playing Plena, a rhythmic style of music native to Ponce, Puerto Rico. The musicians accompanied Rubio as he and his aides walked toward the stage. He stopped for selfies along the way.

Audio at the link
Birfers are toast

Return to “U.S. Senate”