Dogs!

Lani

Re: Dogs!

Post by Lani »

Question about older dogs. I'll be moving to a condo this year. Ted's old, I'm old, and what about when a tropical storm or hurricane is arriving? I can't take him outside to do his business.

I'm looking for a potty place for him if we can't go outside. Has anyone experienced about that? I'm looking at
Image You can't wait until life isn't hard anymore before you decide to be happy.
FiveAcres

Post by FiveAcres »

Will you have access to a garaged area? See if you can train him to use a piddle pad now. Otherwise, see if you can train him to use a piddle pad in the shower (for easy cleanup.)
Avatar was a photo I took by Killary Fjord in 2005. Killary Fjord is in Northern Connemara, Ireland.
Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

They work but old dogs need time to learn new tricks. FiveAcres is right on -start now. The shower is a great idea!
Maybenaut
Verified: ✅✅

Post by Maybenaut »

He can learn, but FiveAcres and Ms. 520 are right - start now. We waited too late with Joey, and it was heartbreaking to see the distress he experienced because he knew he was supposed to go outside. By the time we tried to teach him, I think his memory was pretty much gone.

Joey wasn’t all that vocal, so when he needed to go, he would go sit by the door. In the old house, even thorough he was pretty much blind, he still knew where the door was. In the new house he didn’t know how to signal us that he needed to go, so we just tried to take him out as often as we could. In the end, though, he couldn’t hold it and went wherever he happened to be. I didn’t care - it wasn’t his fault. We have no carpeting so cleanup wasn’t that big a deal. We tried doggie diapers be he hated those and wriggled out of them - he never once peed in one.
"Hey! We left this England place because it was bogus, and if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too!" -- Thomas Jefferson
Lani

Post by Lani »

Good info!

Also, what about the sprays that supposedly encourage dogs to pee on the mats? Has anybody used one of those sprays?

I'm ordering the pad today so we can get started with training.
Image You can't wait until life isn't hard anymore before you decide to be happy.
jez
Verified: ✅ Medicated

Post by jez »

Well, I decided to do one of those doggie DNA tests from Embark. They had the best ratings and it was on sale.

This is my Lola. Picture taken recently.
The Lola
The Lola
Lola.jpg (36.11 KiB) Viewed 1293 times
The results.... *drum roll please*
► Show Spoiler
To say I was surprised is an understatement.
“What is better ? to be born good or to overcome your evil nature through great effort ?”

~Paarthurnax
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

Some very adventurous parents and grandparents :lol:
Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

I see the Rottie, Pittie and Chow in the square head. Most of the rest are… harder to suss out. She’s sweet and looks smaller than I imagined

Supermutt! I didn’t know that was a class.

Rotties are credibly brave and loyal.

Morons used to dump dogs in our neighborhood because it backs up onto a 409,000 acre National Forest. Half the dogs we’ve lived with were dumped. One, a Rottie mix, stuck around even though we didn’t feed him. One day I was working in the garden and a bear came down the driveway. His path would have taken him within a few feet of me but… Brownie (Sprout named all our dogs between 2001-2009) started herding him away from me and barking his fool head off. The bear, looking annoyed, eventually turned back up to the hills. Brownie sat at the foot of the driveway on guard the rest of the afternoon while I was working.

Needless to say, I fed him. We kept him. Good dog, Brownie. 💕
jez

Post by jez »

Lovely story. :) I have nothing as dramatic with Lola. Found her on Craigslist. She was listed as a Farmdog breed of Terrier (yes, and actual breed and not common in the US). Price was about the same as an adoption agency or rescue, and with me living in an apartment, the rescues and shelters around me were not going to approve. You pretty much had to have a yard and be home full time for some of them.

So, I brought her home and she was smart, cute, sassy, learned easily (only took a few days to pottie train!). As she got over the 20lbs I was expecting, figured out she wasn't the terrier I was expecting. :daydreaming:

She is about 50 lbs, give or take a pound here and there, depending on how many treats she can con out of the roommate.
“What is better ? to be born good or to overcome your evil nature through great effort ?”

~Paarthurnax
Kriselda Gray
Verified:

Post by Kriselda Gray »

jez wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 12:41 pm Well, I decided to do one of those doggie DNA tests from Embark. They had the best ratings and it was on sale.

This is my Lola. Picture taken recently.
Lola.jpg

The results.... *drum roll please*
► Show Spoiler
To say I was surprised is an understatement.
I've been thinking about getting one of those for our new dogs (I'll quit calling them "new" at some point, but one's been with us 6 months and the other only about 3, so they're still "new" to me *g*) All we've been told is "Lab Mix" by the rescue shelters, but we don't know if that's info they got from people who had to surrender the dogs or guesses made by people who found them. Our vet thinks Von, the larger of the two, may also be part Greyhound. I wouldn't be surprised about that :) I may just have to get the tests, though - it'd be so cool to know.

I did one of the tests on me and was shocked to find I wasn't nearly as German as my parents had said - there was a lot of other stuff mixed in that they apparently hadn't known about, including Norwegian, which cracked me up because I'd been studying Norwegian through DuoLingo just for the hell of it before I found that out.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

A German-Norwegian mix probably isn't really unusual. The Germans have a history in Norway, going back to medieval days from the German Hanseatic League. In Bergen, Norway, Bryggen is what's left visually of the League.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
RVInit

Post by RVInit »

There's a lot of things that need to change. One specifically? Police brutality.
--Colin Kaepernick
Kriselda Gray
Verified:

Post by Kriselda Gray »

AndyinPA wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 5:34 pm A German-Norwegian mix probably isn't really unusual. The Germans have a history in Norway, going back to medieval days from the German Hanseatic League. In Bergen, Norway, Bryggen is what's left visually of the League.
Nah, it's not all that unusual, it's just funny to me because much of my spirituality has ties to ancient Norway (via Iceland) and me choosing to learn Norwegian without realizing it's an actual minor part of my heritage. Plus, except for my husband who has almost pure British Islands ancestry, every guy I dated or even wanted to date was either Swedish or Norwegian. There's no real significance to any of it, just some chuckles :)
qbawl

Post by qbawl »

Kriselda Gray wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 11:39 am
AndyinPA wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 5:34 pm A German-Norwegian mix probably isn't really unusual. The Germans have a history in Norway, going back to medieval days from the German Hanseatic League. In Bergen, Norway, Bryggen is what's left visually of the League.
Nah, it's not all that unusual, it's just funny to me because much of my spirituality has ties to ancient Norway (via Iceland) and me choosing to learn Norwegian without realizing it's an actual minor part of my heritage. Plus, except for my husband who has almost pure British Islands ancestry, every guy I dated or even wanted to date was either Swedish or Norwegian. There's no real significance to any of it, just some chuckles :)
That's what they want you to think!
Kriselda Gray
Verified:

Post by Kriselda Gray »

qbawl wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 11:50 am
Kriselda Gray wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 11:39 am Nah, it's not all that unusual, it's just funny to me because much of my spirituality has ties to ancient Norway (via Iceland) and me choosing to learn Norwegian without realizing it's an actual minor part of my heritage. Plus, except for my husband who has almost pure British Islands ancestry, every guy I dated or even wanted to date was either Swedish or Norwegian. There's no real significance to any of it, just some chuckles :)
That's what they want you to think!
:rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:
jez

Post by jez »

Off Topic
Heck, half of North Dakota is a German-Norwegian mix.
Now, back to cute puppies. :thumbsup: :bighug:

~Paarthurnax
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

Lola is BEAUTIFUL!!!!!!
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

Ghosting camouflage :think:
Gregg

Post by Gregg »

"Mom!!!!!,, Boopie put the wrong head on me again!
Supreme Commander, Imperial Illuminati Air Force
:dog:

You don't have to consent, but I'm gonna tase you anyway.
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

Biden sets WH pet policy.
Chilidog

Post by Chilidog »

FiveAcres wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 11:21 am Will you have access to a garaged area? See if you can train him to use a piddle pad now. Otherwise, see if you can train him to use a piddle pad in the shower (for easy cleanup.)
My dog once had a bout with diharea. I had to leave him alone for a bit while I ran some quick chores.

Unfortunately a half hour task turned into a two hour delay and when I got home, I found that he couldn't help himself.

He pooped in the shower.

I was kind of proud of him for figuring that out.
RVInit

Post by RVInit »

Chilidog wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 12:26 pm
FiveAcres wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 11:21 am Will you have access to a garaged area? See if you can train him to use a piddle pad now. Otherwise, see if you can train him to use a piddle pad in the shower (for easy cleanup.)
My dog once had a bout with diharea. I had to leave him alone for a bit while I ran some quick chores.

Unfortunately a half hour task turned into a two hour delay and when I got home, I found that he couldn't help himself.

He pooped in the shower.

I was kind of proud of him for figuring that out.
One time after I finished a bath, Poohie (my cat) jumped into the bathtub after the water was mostly down the drain. She seemed fascinated by the liquid going down the drain. So, the next couple of times she had to pee, she jumped into the tub and squatted right over the drain and peed right into the drainpipe. But she never pooed in the tub. The reason I know she did this is because I caught her jumping out of the tub and went I went over to see, I could see just a very small amount of yellowish liquid surrounding the drain. Once or twice after that I noticed yellow liquid around the drain. I washed the tub each time I noticed the little bit of yellow pee around the drain. She gave up doing that after a couple of times, and went back to peeing in her box, but I thought that was interesting that she decided to pee down the drain after watching water go down the drain. That was many years ago. RIP, Poohie. :(
There's a lot of things that need to change. One specifically? Police brutality.
--Colin Kaepernick
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

Malinois against the laws of physics Jumping the Belgian Shepherd to the brink of fantasy

17 May 2021

Malinois Belgian shepherd dog "flying dog", a breed that is not afraid of heights, in general, they are not afraid of anything :), one might say Malinois do not obey the laws of physics and gravity :)

My friends, I will express my personal opinion about these jumps and flights, I do not condemn such training, but this is Big Sport, "work" on the verge of which never brings health to an athlete. Do you want this? it's up to you to decide, I love my dogs too much to put their health and life at risk! I will add - After watching such videos, ordinary people have a strong desire to get hold of a Malinois puppy :), and this is good, But I advise you at least not to rush, carefully study the character, temperament, and other subtleties of Mali. This breed is ideal in the hands of a professional; for ordinary people, difficulties are possible, on the verge of disappointment.

MsDaisy
Verified:

Post by MsDaisy »

RTH10260 wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 1:36 am
Malinois against the laws of physics Jumping the Belgian Shepherd to the brink of fantasy

17 May 2021

Malinois Belgian shepherd dog "flying dog", a breed that is not afraid of heights, in general, they are not afraid of anything :), one might say Malinois do not obey the laws of physics and gravity :)
:shock: :faint:

Return to “General Stuff”