Jeffs and 10 Others Indicted for Food Stamp Fraud Conspiracy and Money Laundering

SueDB

Jeffs and 10 Others Indicted for Food Stamp Fraud Conspiracy and Money Laundering

Post by SueDB » Tue Feb 23, 2016 6:11 pm

Jeffs Indictment

conspiracy to commit food stamp fraud... ouch.... oh and money laundering.... :like:

“If You're Not In The Obit, Eat Breakfast”

Remember, Orly NEVAH disappoints!

mmmirele

Re: Jeffs Indictment for Food Stamp Fraud Conspiracy

Post by mmmirele » Tue Feb 23, 2016 6:24 pm

SueDB wrote:Jeffs Indictment

conspiracy to commit food stamp fraud... ouch.... oh and money laundering.... :like:

Lotta people doing the happy dance this afternoon. That indictment is definitely worth a read. More than a few people have mentioned the Al Capone resemblance: couldn't actually put the gang out of business, but indictments for tax evasion (Al Capone), SNAP fraud and money laundering (this gang) will really eviscerate the leadership.

Dolly

Post by Dolly » Tue Feb 23, 2016 6:25 pm

News coverage. Two different links - appears to be same story

Polygamous church leaders indicted, arrested for food stamp fraud

http://www.sltrib.com/news/3571913-155/ ... fullpage=1

http://www.sltrib.com/news/3571913-155/ ... fullpage=1

Avatar by Tal Peleg Art of Makeup https://www.facebook.com/TalPelegMakeUp

Sterngard Friegen

Post by Sterngard Friegen » Tue Feb 23, 2016 7:04 pm

I've read the indictment. A lot of the indicted activities demonstrate the Government's willful ignorance of the phenomenon known as the fungibility of money, but there are also egregiously illegal transactions as well, including the purchase of a tractor with SNAP funds and phantom transactions involving no purchases at all.

I also note there is a lot of inside information in the indictment, so it will be interesting to see who the undercover agents or snitches are.

Finally, the indictment seeks forfeitures -- of money but that will be translated into personal and real property. Much as Morris Dees and the SPLC broke up the KKK in the 1980s and 1990s, a successful prosecution of this indictment will break up the FLDS. It's about time.

Azastan

Post by Azastan » Tue Feb 23, 2016 7:29 pm

I had a former co-worker indicted and convicted of fraud involving SNAP funds. She was sentenced to 21 months in prison, 3 years of supervised release, and owed $1,490,255 in restitution for Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) fraud.

http://www.justice.gov/archive/usao/waw ... kwong.html

The FLDS is in big trouble. I wonder how many people are going to donate to their defense fund?

TexasFilly

Post by TexasFilly » Tue Feb 23, 2016 9:40 pm

Azastan wrote:I had a former co-worker indicted and convicted of fraud involving SNAP funds. She was sentenced to 21 months in prison, 3 years of supervised release, and owed $1,490,255 in restitution for Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) fraud.

http://www.justice.gov/archive/usao/waw ... kwong.html

The FDLS is in big trouble. I wonder how many people are going to donate to their defense fund?
Why everybody who is still in the cult. Any construction company etc. owned by an FDLS member has already been taken over by the Jeffs mafia. A bit more money laundering before the entire operation is taken down. :pray:

I love the poorly educated!!!

I believe Anita Hill! I believe Dr. Ford!

Notorial Dissent

Post by Notorial Dissent » Tue Feb 23, 2016 10:07 pm

If they're going after money laundering, which I well suspect they should, this could bring the whole rotten house of cards down.

The fact that you sincerely and wholeheartedly believe that the “Law of Gravity” is unconstitutional and a violation of your sovereign rights, does not absolve you of adherence to it.

2strange

Post by 2strange » Tue Feb 23, 2016 11:01 pm

Last week the RollingStone did an article on the Jeffs and the communities in question:
http://www.rollingstone.com/culture/fea ... s-20160209

AdmiralOsnacks

Re: Jeffs and 10 Others Indicted for Food Stamp Fraud Conspiracy and Money Laundering

Post by AdmiralOsnacks » Wed Feb 24, 2016 7:37 am

This is interesting.
Two of the people who are on the run avoiding arrest are Warren and Lyle's brothers, Nephi and Isaac. Seth, another brother, was arrested on Wednesday too.
http://kutv.com/news/local/son-of-jaile ... rren-jeffs

Neither Nephi nor Isaac are named in the unsealed indictment.

I'm hoping there is something to this remark from KUTV.

Nephi and Isaac are Warren's primary go-to guys for getting his messages to his remaining flock.

Fortinbras

Re: Jeffs and 10 Others Indicted for Food Stamp Fraud Conspiracy and Money Laundering

Post by Fortinbras » Wed Feb 24, 2016 8:35 am

I was, for a year or so, on the distribution list for Warren Jeff's periodic announcements to the world (issued from his prison cell every month or so). Each was about four pages of 13-point type ..... but incredibly badly written. Sentences that defied diagramming, words misused, wandering thoughts, and the like. Not just the result of poor education but indicative of mental damage. The gist, month after month, was that all the nations of the world and all the people should recognize the divine mission and supremacy of Warren Jeffs.

Frankly, if I had any clout in the Bureau of Prisons, I'd keep him under strict communications monitoring, especially as it now seems he was commanding a criminal conspiracy from inside the prison.

AdmiralOsnacks

Post by AdmiralOsnacks » Wed Feb 24, 2016 9:43 am

Warren is in a Texas Department of Corrections facility, not BOP. They do monitor his correspondence and communications. Testimony to such was given by TDC staff in the ongoing federal civil rights case in Phoenix against the towns of Hildale and Colorado City.

I know what you mean about his writings; they are painful to read on many levels.

Before his Texas trial, I read literal reams of his "dictations" going back to 2002. One thing I learned in doing so is that he will speak and write in somewhat "coded" language understood by those closest to him who are "in the know."

I'll never forget how it felt one night when I realized that his many references to a "training" audiotape for his wives was in fact the audiotape of the rape of a 12-year-old "bride."

Warren has a messiah complex in my opinion and my observation is that he does exhibit mental illness.

He will issue communication to the flock and to his insiders about this latest development. He is not capable of letting something of this magnitude go without a response.

Naturally, he will include something on the lines of how evil the government is, persecution, and so on.

AdmiralOsnacks

Post by AdmiralOsnacks » Wed Feb 24, 2016 9:57 am

In a development late Tuesday, the U.S. Attorney's Office filed a 14-page motion requesting the court hold the two Jeffs, Wayman and Allred without bond because they are a flight risk and, "there are no conditions that will reasonably assure their appearance as required."

In support of the motion, prosecutors stated that the FLDS leaders had "developed an elaborate system for moving and hiding members of the group to avoid law enforcement detection" including "houses of hiding" and "places of refuge." In addition, FLDS leaders were accustomed to using aliases, disguises, false identification documents, pre-paid phones, pre-paid debit cards and vehicles rented by others to avoid apprehension, the motion stated.
http://rapidcityjournal.com/news/local/ ... 05625.html

The article also includes an account of the uneventful arrest of Seth Jeffs in South Dakota.

I'm still sorting through everything from yesterday.

I hope they are successful in holding at least Lyle and John Wayman without bond. Information indicates that Wayman has been a critical cog in the FLDS financial machine for many years under Warren's reign. Actually, I hope the prosecutors prevail on holding all four -- Lyle, Seth, Allred and Wayman.

AdmiralOsnacks

Post by AdmiralOsnacks » Wed Feb 24, 2016 10:24 am

Nate Carlisle at the Salt Lake Tribune has provided a brief "who's who" with regard to Warren Jeffs' full brothers.

All five of Warren's full brothers are covered in this piece: LeRoy, Lyle, Nephi, Isaac, and Seth.

Lyle and Seth are charged in the indictment.
Warren Steed Jeffs has perhaps 65 siblings. He relies on a few of his full brothers to help him run and administer the polygamous Fundamentalist Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints while he serves a sentence of up to life in prison for crimes related to taking underage girls as wives.

He is most dependent upon on Lyle, but there are other brothers closest to him. None has been charged with any crimes related to bigamy or sex abuse.
http://www.sltrib.com/home/3192072-155/ ... rothers-in

mmmirele

Post by mmmirele » Wed Feb 24, 2016 12:57 pm

Here's some tweets from Ben Winslow (Fox 13 SLC and one of the news experts on polygamy in Utah/Arizona) at today's magistrate judge hearing. Read from the bottom up:

Ben Winslow ‏@BenWinslow 8m8 minutes ago
#FLDS leader Lyle Jeffs’ lawyer just left the courthouse refusing to comment. @fox13now #Utah

Ben Winslow ‏@BenWinslow 39m39 minutes ago
Judge Pead says meanwhile, both Lyle Jeffs and John Wayman will remain in U.S. Marshals custody. Hearing over. @fox13now #FLDS #Utah

Ben Winslow ‏@BenWinslow 40m40 minutes ago
Looks like both Feds and defense want to call witnesses. Hearings could take a while. @fox13now #FLDS #Utah

Ben Winslow ‏@BenWinslow 41m41 minutes ago
Wayman’s lawyer demands a detention hearing ASAP. He wants a hearing for Friday for his client. @fox13now #FLDS #Utah

Ben Winslow ‏@BenWinslow 41m41 minutes ago
Jeffs’ attorney calls the detention motion “unprecedented,” and asks for time to review it. Hearing on March 7. @fox13now #FLDS #Utah

Ben Winslow ‏@BenWinslow 42m42 minutes ago
Judge Pead wants to talk detention. Feds don’t want them released. (Because, Warren Jeffs.) @fox13now #FLDS #Utah

Ben Winslow ‏@BenWinslow 44m44 minutes ago
Judge Pead says the next hearing will be March 21 in #StGeorge (where the case may be based). @fox13now #FLDS #Utah

Ben Winslow ‏@BenWinslow 45m45 minutes ago
#FLDS leader Lyle Jeffs stands and pleads “Not guilty, sir.” Wayman also enters a not guilty plea. @fox13now #Utah

Ben Winslow ‏@BenWinslow 46m46 minutes ago
Judge Pead says it looks like #FLDS leader Lyle Jeffs qualifies for a public defense attorney. He asks for it. @fox13now #Utah

Ben Winslow ‏@BenWinslow 47m47 minutes ago
“If you have the money, you’re welcome to hire any attorney you like,” Judge Pead tells Jeffs and Wayman. @fox13now #FLDS #Utah

Ben Winslow ‏@BenWinslow 48m48 minutes ago
Right now, it looks like #FLDS leader Lyle Jeffs is going to get a public defender. Judge Pead reading their rights. @fox13now #Utah

Ben Winslow ‏@BenWinslow 49m49 minutes ago
ALL RISE! U.S. Magistrate Judge Dustin Pead is on the bench. @fox13now #FLDS #Utah

mmmirele

Post by mmmirele » Wed Feb 24, 2016 1:03 pm

A couple of things about the hearing:

1) Lyle Jeffs has the money to pay for the best defense in the country, because he and his brothers looted it from the church and the "United Order" and, I might add, those SNAP funds.

2) Given what we know about how Warren Jeffs was moved from various "houses of refuge" (read: hiding) over the months he was on the loose, it would be insanely nuts to allow any of these people out of jail pretrial. You can't trust the police in the twin towns-the feds are trying to prove in a civil case that was going on in Phoenix until the judge fell ill earlier this week that the Marshal's office is wholly owned and operated by the FLDS and does the work of Warren Jeffs. Given how Jeffs was moved all over the USA while he was on the loose, there's literally no place except for a well-guarded jail cell for any of these people until the trial. And this is not "unprecedented," but as a lawyer, that's what the guy is supposed to say.

AdmiralOsnacks

Post by AdmiralOsnacks » Wed Feb 24, 2016 3:45 pm

Newest article from the SLT.
On Oct.15, Charlene Jeffs was worried her estranged husband would take their two youngest children to his ranch in South America, she told a Washington County Sheriff's detective.

Others in the polygamous Fundamentalist Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints did not know that Lyle Jeffs, who for years has run the day-to-day operations of the sect for his imprisoned brother Warren Jeffs, had such a ranch, Charlene told the detective. But Charlene was able to describe it to agents and tell them how Lyle used the fire department in Hildale to create false IDs, which she feared could be used by her husband to steal her children.
http://www.sltrib.com/news/3576812-155/ ... crime-in-a

Looking more and more like Lyle will be in stir for awhile.

I wondered what the South America thing was. Now we know.

AdmiralOsnacks

Post by AdmiralOsnacks » Wed Feb 24, 2016 5:15 pm

[Nephi Steed] Allred is regarded as one of the primary suspects. The government alleges he acted as a courier or personal caretaker during the time Warren Jeffs was in hiding and listed as one of the country’s most wanted fugitives prior to the prophet’s eventual arrest in Southern Nevada, and that he helped relocate Warren Jeffs’ wives at the time.

:snippity:

“Allred is … (or) was a key player in moving funds around for Warren Jeffs and the FLDS church. (He) is very gifted at accounting and setting up corporations and has used his business accounts to move around a lot of money for Warren Jeffs,” the court filing states.
More:

http://www.thespectrum.com/story/news/2 ... /80867762/

AdmiralOsnacks

Post by AdmiralOsnacks » Wed Feb 24, 2016 6:05 pm

One of Lyle Jeffs' sons said his father once told him he was confident he was "10 steps ahead of the government."

But as Jeffs was led into a federal courtroom Wednesday, shackled and in a jail jumpsuit, he wouldn't lift his eyes to where his now estranged son sat in the gallery, and Thomas Jeffs said he knew that the law had finally caught up.
"These 'places of refuge' are closed to outsiders, gated, and monitored," the motion states. "People in the system use pre-paid cellular telephones to route calls through multiple devices so that individuals’ locations cannot be identified. The system also includes a secure Internet protocol phone system to provide confidential communication. To facilitate undetected travel, people use vehicles leased or owned by others. People in the system use aliases, disguises and false identification documents. Participants in the system use cash and prepaid debit cards to avoid detection."
A brother of Lyle Jeffs, who is no longer a member of the FLDS Church, told FBI investigators in 2015 that the houses of hiding are really "houses of hostage where young girls and others are kept," according to documents filed in federal court. "The bedrooms all had locks on the outside of the doors."
More:

http://m.deseretnews.com/article/865648 ... grqovAw0oQ

Northland10

Post by Northland10 » Wed Feb 24, 2016 6:07 pm

2strange wrote:Last week the RollingStone did an article on the Jeffs and the communities in question:
http://www.rollingstone.com/culture/fea ... s-20160209
That was a long and good read.

North-land: of the family 10
UCC 1-106 Plural is Singular, Singular is Plural.

mmmirele

Post by mmmirele » Wed Feb 24, 2016 9:41 pm

One lone cop went out and apprehended Seth Jeffs in Pringle, SD. One.cop.
CUSTER | While hundreds of federal agents were raiding two towns in Arizona and Utah Tuesday morning, breaking down doors and leveling fraud charges against the leaders of a religious sect, a lone Black Hills lawman ventured to the sect's local compound and nabbed his man.

:snippity:

At about 10 a.m. Tuesday, Wheeler, armed with an arrest warrant, traveled alone to the FLDS compound near Pringle, but Jeffs wasn't there. Wheeler's target soon was spotted nearby traveling with four or five females in a white Ford Excursion.

“We made the arrest on the highway,” Wheeler said late Tuesday, as if his action were routine instead of part of a massive, concerted bust. Jeffs offered no resistance when he was detained about 4 miles south of Custer on U.S. Highway 385, Wheeler said.
http://rapidcityjournal.com/news/local/ ... 05625.html

Seth Jeffs was in the Pennington County Jail as of this morning.

Fortinbras

Post by Fortinbras » Wed Feb 24, 2016 10:51 pm

Warren Jeffs most assuredly thinks of himself as the messiah and, I might add, some other FLDSC leaders (such as Ervil Lebaron) similarly because of some Mormon prophecy of someone "mighty and strong". Not a lot of space between them and Charlie Manson.

mmmirele

Post by mmmirele » Thu Feb 25, 2016 12:30 am

I don't know that Warren thinks of himself as the "One Mighty And Strong." But for sure Ervil LeBaron though he was. And he was a scary, scary dude, whose reach went beyond the grave. I remember how flipped out the local PD in Houston were over the deaths of two people (a father and his little girl) in June 1988. The father had been on a hit list Ervil had left behind after he died in a Texas prison in 1981. Just as a side note, a friend of mine met Ervil and Verlan LeBaron in Mexico when his father, a sociologist, took him along on a trip. He told me it was one of the creepiest experiences of his life, and it was in the mid-1960s, before Ervil really was known for his "I AM THE LAW OF THE LORD" killings.

[bbvideo=560,315][/bbvideo]

This video is from around 2007. Warren claims in it that he was not the prophet, that he was never the prophet. And, while he was in jail awaiting trial on one set of charges or another (before Texas got hold of him and put him away for good), he kept fasting so much that he ended up in the regional hospital in Kingman, AZ because he was near death more than once. Warren, I'd say, is kinda crazy. But he's not the only oneI've met one polygamist prophet (now since passed beyond the veil) and a number of his wives and you have got to be crazy to get involved in that stuff.

AdmiralOsnacks

Post by AdmiralOsnacks » Thu Feb 25, 2016 8:23 am

mmmirele wrote:I don't know that Warren thinks of himself as the "One Mighty And Strong." But for sure Ervil LeBaron though he was. And he was a scary, scary dude, whose reach went beyond the grave. I remember how flipped out the local PD in Houston were over the deaths of two people (a father and his little girl) in June 1988. The father had been on a hit list Ervil had left behind after he died in a Texas prison in 1981. Just as a side note, a friend of mine met Ervil and Verlan LeBaron in Mexico when his father, a sociologist, took him along on a trip. He told me it was one of the creepiest experiences of his life, and it was in the mid-1960s, before Ervil really was known for his "I AM THE LAW OF THE LORD" killings.

[bbvideo=560,315][/bbvideo]

This video is from around 2007. Warren claims in it that he was not the prophet, that he was never the prophet. And, while he was in jail awaiting trial on one set of charges or another (before Texas got hold of him and put him away for good), he kept fasting so much that he ended up in the regional hospital in Kingman, AZ because he was near death more than once. Warren, I'd say, is kinda crazy. But he's not the only oneI've met one polygamist prophet (now since passed beyond the veil) and a number of his wives andyou have got to be crazy to get involved in that stuff.
In his writings (his Priesthood Records and his Revelations) there are many references of Warren being the "marred servant" from Isaiah 52 and 3rd Nephi.

These references go back to at least June 2014 when Warren and his flock were focused on building the temple in Texas for the "redemption of Zion."

The manifestation of the "marred servant" heralds the Second Coming and the Redemption of Zion from my limited understanding.

When I say I think Warren has a messiah complex, it is meant in this context.

I think it is relevant to this indictment as far as some of those indicted fully and wholly believe that, as their Prophet, Warren atones for their "sins" for this purpose.

To disobey him is tantamount to risking their eternal salvation and delaying the Redemption of Zion.

Going by his previous communications and actions, Warren will place the responsibility for this indictment upon his followers as he does with his own incarceration: their "wicked ways," not "fervent" enough in their prayers, and so on. He also weaves these events into scripture to reinforce his version of theology, his role, and that of the FLDS people.

As far as being crazy to get involved with the FLDS form of fundamentalism, it has been extremely rare for "outsiders" to join them. Most are born into it -- from the cradle to the grave.

"We don't know what we don't know" is how a dear friend of mine puts it.

That friend is former FLDS who left a very long time ago, but has remained in touch and in tune with what happens in the FLDS lives because it affects her family and other loved ones.

Fortunately there are many former FLDS members and others who continue to reach out with love and understanding to those who remain subject (due to their spirtual beliefs) to the dictates of Warren and his henchmen.

The LeBarons under Ervil -- a horror story that almost makes Warren's FLDS seem benign. Almost, but not quite.

I read that Washington County Attorney Brock Belnap is involved in this case as a special prosecutor for the US Attorney's office. I'm relieved to know this because he should have an understanding of why some of the indicted folks were involved and the differences between pawns, rooks, knights, and bishops.

For the sake of the pawns, Belnap should have the discernment to proceed accordingly against them and against the more powerful players.

I don't mean to hijack this into a religion discussion, but it seems pretty much impossible to look at criminality within the FLDS without that context as it is the centerpoint of their actions for many of them.

I do think it is true that some involved are also motivated by their lusts for greed, power, and worse. Lyle in particular being a good example of one motivated less by obedience to the Prophet and more by his own power drive in its manifestations.

AdmiralOsnacks

Post by AdmiralOsnacks » Thu Feb 25, 2016 8:59 am

Seth Jeffs initial appearance in Rapid City -- detention hearing set for Monday, Feb. 29:
Federal prosecutors, fearing that religious-sect leader Seth Jeffs will flee to avoid prosecution, are asking a judge to keep Jeffs behind bars until his trial on suspicion that he and others of his sect defrauded the federal food stamp program and laundered millions of dollars in illegally gained cash.
There was no decision on the motion Wednesday. Federal Magistrate Judge Daneta Wollman set a 9 a.m. Monday hearing to decide if Jeffs should be detained until his trial.

The prosecution argues that Jeffs and his codefendants pose a significant flight risk as they might use the FLDS’s network of hideouts, along with an arsenal of disguises, fake IDs, and disposable cellphones, to disappear before their court dates.
http://rapidcityjournal.com/news/local/ ... 910b6.html

AdmiralOsnacks

Post by AdmiralOsnacks » Thu Feb 25, 2016 10:25 am

St. George, Utah initial appearances yesterday (Feb. 24). All three currently held in the Washington County in Purgatory.
Winford Johnson Barlow, 50, and Ruth Peine Barlow, 41, of Hildale and Kristal Meldrum Dutson, 55, of Colorado City each entered not guilty pleas to charges of conspiracy to commit Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program benefits fraud and conspiracy to commit money laundering.
Five other suspects named in the case had not yet been arrested as of Wednesday morning. They include Allred, Colorado City resident Hyrum Bygnal Dutson, 55, and Hildale residents Kimball Dee Barlow, 51, Rulon Mormon Barlow, 45, and Preston Yates Barlow, 41.
The FLDS suspects who appeared in court Wednesday are asking to be freed from custody pending trial. The government opposes release of the four primary suspects but Assistant U.S. Attorney Matt Bell acknowledged he would await more background information regarding the trio in St. George’s court before deciding whether to continue asking for their custody.

Braithwaite scheduled a hearing Monday afternoon to review the situation, but allowed for the possibility that the Barlows and Dutson could be released sooner if the attorneys reach agreement among themselves.
http://www.thespectrum.com/story/news/2 ... /80867762/

Return to “Other Fringe Groups & Individuals”