January 6 Select Committee

Slim Cognito
Verified:

Re: January 6 Commission

Post by Slim Cognito »

RVInit wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 11:05 am What was "Stop the Steal" supposed to actually mean, if it did not mean to prevent Biden from being certified and officially recognized as the President-Elect?
mind blown.
May the bridges I burn light my way.

ImageImageImage x5
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Post by bill_g »

RVInit wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 11:05 am What was "Stop the Steal" supposed to actually mean, if it did not mean to prevent Biden from being certified and officially recognized as the President-Elect?
[devil's advocate]

STOP THE STEAL could have been conducted like any other protest by standing in front of the Capital en masse with signs, singing, shouting et al to show their dissatisfaction.

The Capital was closed to the public preventing their physical presence in the chamber. There were no trees to sit in (logging), or bulldozers to stand in front of (pipeline). They best they could accomplish was to gather a large group, and make their presence known.

[/devil's advocate]
noblepa

Post by noblepa »

bill_g wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 12:29 pm
[devil's advocate]

STOP THE STEAL could have been conducted like any other protest by standing in front of the Capital en masse with signs, singing, shouting et al to show their dissatisfaction.

The Capital was closed to the public preventing their physical presence in the chamber. There were no trees to sit in (logging), or bulldozers to stand in front of (pipeline). They best they could accomplish was to gather a large group, and make their presence known.

[/devil's advocate]
That would have been the rational, civilized way to protest a perceived injustice. But that is just tactics.

The fact remains that the protesters' intent was clearly to disrupt the counting of the electoral votes and to prevent Joe Biden from being certified as the next President. It was nothing less than a coup attempt.
RVInit

Post by RVInit »

By calling it "Stop the Steal" I believe the organizers, as well as Trump himself, were being clear as to their expectations of what would happen. "Protest the Steal" would have indicated they intended the assembled supporters to protest, object, shake their fists, tell us all about it, and otherwise show their displeasure. Using the word "Stop" CLEARLY shows intent to stop Biden from being recognized as the president elect.

That's my story, and I'm a stickin' to it! :P :lol:
"It actually doesn't take much to be considered a difficult woman. That's why there are so many of us."

--Jane Goodall
bob

Post by bob »

The plauble-deniability answer would be they were going to "stop the steal" by "encouraging" the vice president to lawfully and totes constitutionally! :roll: "pause" the certification (to rustle up some alternative slates of electors).

"Just because it was unprecedented doesn't mean it was wrong or done in bad faith," and such weak excuses. :yankyank:
Image ImageImage
New Turtle

Post by New Turtle »

The Brooks Brothers rioters also used that slogan. They were trying to stop the vote counting.
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

bob wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 12:59 pm
The plauble-deniability answer would be they were going to "stop the steal" by "encouraging" the vice president to lawfully and totes constitutionally! :roll: "pause" the certification (to rustle up some alternative slates of electors).

"Just because it was unprecedented doesn't mean it was wrong or done in bad faith," and such weak excuses. :yankyank:
Don’t forget the votes the Georgia people were supposed to flip/fabricate. Betrayal leaves no doubt that it was a coup attempt.

Yes, I know y’all know that and are being facetious but Karl does lay out, sometimes too repetitiously, the many ways tfg tried to steal the election.
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: grumpy ol' geezer

Post by Foggy »

And of course, "Stop the Steal" was a masterful piece of propaganda, because the "steal" was the legitimate election of Joe Biden. By using that short, pithy, simple phrase, they encoded the Big Lie into the entire movement that still supported Trump.

Just calling it "the Steal" was brilliant.

If Biden won, as the disgusting and disreputable World of Sane People insisted, then answer the question: Why would anyone object to stopping the Steal?
I'm Foggy and I forget if I approved this message.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Re: January 6 Committee

Post by AndyinPA »

The title saying Commission has been bothering me for a good while since we never got one. Changed to Committee, which is what we got.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
p0rtia

Re: January 6 Committee

Post by p0rtia »

AndyinPA wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 2:26 pm The title saying Commission has been bothering me for a good while since we never got one. Changed to Committee, which is what we got.
Thanks! May I further suggest "Select Committee"? It has deep historical resonance.

The full name is "The Select Committee to Investigate the January 6th Attack on the U.S. Capitol"

https://january6th.house.gov/
Screen Shot 2022-01-07 at 3.02.37 PM.png
Screen Shot 2022-01-07 at 3.02.37 PM.png (101.29 KiB) Viewed 992 times
AndyinPA
Verified:

Re: January 6 Select Committee

Post by AndyinPA »

Yes, you may! Exactly for the reason you suggest. :thumbsup:
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Greatgrey
Verified: 💲8️⃣

Post by Greatgrey »

Jim Jordan posts 4 page letter saying he’s not gonna cooperate because Benghazi!

Notice he used Judiciary Committee letterhead vs using his personal Representative letterhead. What’s up with that?

What's the Frequency, Kenneth?
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Post by neonzx »

Greatgrey wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 9:39 pm Jim Jordan posts 4 page letter saying he’s not gonna cooperate because Benghazi!
Surprise (not). But remember to address him as "Gym Jordan", the pederast protector.
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

Kevin McCarthy is portrayed in Betrayal as a spineless, feckless, grasping enabler who can taste the House Speakership. That’s all he cares about. He made Mitch McConnell look like a genuine patriot, which is no small feat.
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

https://www.politico.com/news/2022/01/1 ... ion-526752
The public focus of Congress’ Jan. 6 investigation, so far, is what happened in Washington, D.C. Behind the scenes, the probe’s state-level work is kicking into overdrive.

The House committee investigating the Capitol attack has gathered thousands of records from state officials and interviewed a slate of witnesses as it attempts to retrace former President Donald Trump's attempts to subvert the 2020 election, particularly in four key states that swung the presidency to Joe Biden. They're getting ready to take their work public, possibly as soon as the spring.

“We want to let the public see and hear from those individuals who conducted elections in those states,” select panel chair Rep. Bennie Thompson (D-Miss.) said in an interview. He described those witnesses as particularly important given their mandates to keep elections “fair and impartial” while hailing from one political party.
RVInit

Post by RVInit »

Kendra wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 11:36 am https://www.politico.com/news/2022/01/1 ... ion-526752
The public focus of Congress’ Jan. 6 investigation, so far, is what happened in Washington, D.C. Behind the scenes, the probe’s state-level work is kicking into overdrive.

The House committee investigating the Capitol attack has gathered thousands of records from state officials and interviewed a slate of witnesses as it attempts to retrace former President Donald Trump's attempts to subvert the 2020 election, particularly in four key states that swung the presidency to Joe Biden. They're getting ready to take their work public, possibly as soon as the spring.

“We want to let the public see and hear from those individuals who conducted elections in those states,” select panel chair Rep. Bennie Thompson (D-Miss.) said in an interview. He described those witnesses as particularly important given their mandates to keep elections “fair and impartial” while hailing from one political party.
If they have any sense they will hold these hearings during prime time and do everything they can to drag them out and have them televised during those prime time hours.

:pray: :pray: :pray:
"It actually doesn't take much to be considered a difficult woman. That's why there are so many of us."

--Jane Goodall
filly

Post by filly »

Bennie Thompson says they will be held during prime time and they will be on "Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday." Not just a hearing a week.

The question, of course, is whether the media will cover them. MSNBC and CNN certainly will. Fox will probably not. The networks? Who knows?
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

https://www.politico.com/minutes/congre ... e-the-5th/
What's happening: Jonathon Moseley, a lawyer who has represented the far-right militia group in a civil lawsuit and who represents one member facing criminal charges, told POLITICO that he and Oath Keepers head Stewart Rhodes discussed the Jan. 6 panel's subpoena last week.

Moseley added that Rhodes may appear before committee investigators on Jan. 19.

“I believe he will not answer questions but assert the Fifth Amendment,” Moseley said. “Again, though, he is still reviewing these plans with counsel.”

“I believe no one can be sure what the law will be next month or next year, so anyone would have to plead the Fifth Amendment,” Moseley added, citing the government’s prosecutions under a statute barring witness tampering.

Important context: Rhodes has not been charged with any crime in connection to the insurrection and did not enter the Capitol on Jan. 6. But his leadership of Oath Keepers has made him a top focus for congressional investigators.
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

neonzx wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 10:48 pm
Greatgrey wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 9:39 pm Jim Jordan posts 4 page letter saying he’s not gonna cooperate because Benghazi!
Surprise (not). But remember to address him as "Gym Jordan", the pederast protector.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
Kriselda Gray
Verified:

Post by Kriselda Gray »

I'd prefer to not read 4 pages of Jim Jordan's junk - is there a short summary of how he is applying Benghazi to this investigation? It strikes me as odd that anyone would want to bring Benghazi up right now given that it truly was an unending witch hunt where one incident was being investigated multiple times. With Trump, there have been multiple investigations, each over a single incident (or group of incidents) - the main ones being Russia, Ukraine and Jan 6th.
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

Kriselda Gray wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 7:31 pm
I'd prefer to not read 4 pages of Jim Jordan's junk - is there a short summary of how he is applying Benghazi to this investigation? It strikes me as odd that anyone would want to bring Benghazi up right now given that it truly was an unending witch hunt where one incident was being investigated multiple times. With Trump, there have been multiple investigations, each over a single incident (or group of incidents) - the main ones being Russia, Ukraine and Jan 6th.
That was hyperbole. The letter says I Know Nothing About 1/6 and Here's All The Reasons It Was All Your Fault. So I Won't Testify.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

You left out "And you can't make me!"
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Post by bill_g »

Kriselda Gray
Verified:

Post by Kriselda Gray »

raison de arizona wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 7:59 pm That was hyperbole. The letter says I Know Nothing About 1/6 and Here's All The Reasons It Was All Your Fault. So I Won't Testify.
Gotcha, and thanks - sorry for misunderstanding! :D
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics ... d=msedgntp
The Jan. 6 Committee issued subpoenas on Tuesday to three people purportedly involved in discussions with Trump administration officials and rally planners on Jan. 6.

The panel issued subpoenas to Arthur Schwartz, Andy Surabian, and Ross Worthington, all Republican political operatives who worked in support of the Trump administration.
Speaking of Schwartz, see this article from January 2019. A peach :sarcasm:

https://www.thedailybeast.com/how-trump ... -the-media

Return to “The January 6 Insurrection, including Criminal Cases”