Assault on the Capitol (DC)

Wendybird

Re: Assault on the Capitol (DC)

Post by Wendybird »

Another one from Montana (Belgrade is 10 minutes northwest from Bozeman). It's behind a paywall, so I did a copy/paste.

BELGRADE BUSINESS OWNER ARRESTED IN CONNECTION TO CAPITOL RIOTS
By Melissa Loveridge; Bozeman Chronicle Staff Writer Mar 17, 2021

"The FBI arrested the owner of a Belgrade firearm academy earlier this week in connection to the Jan. 6 attack on the U.S. Capitol.

Andrew Cavanaugh of Bozeman is accused of knowingly entering and remaining in a restricted building without lawful authority and violent entry and disorderly conduct on Capitol grounds, according to criminal complaints and an arrest warrant filed Monday in U.S. District Court in Washington, D.C., the day of Cavanaugh’s arrest.

Cavanaugh wore a hat with the name of his business, Tactical Citizen, while participating in the riots, according to the FBI. Federal agents identified Cavanaugh in a video taken in the Capitol and posted on the conservative social media site Parler.

The video showed Cavanaugh on the first floor of the U.S. Capitol in the Small House Rotunda. At one point, a man taking the video shouts to “Drag them out by their (expletive) hair,” appearing to be talking about U.S. Senators and Representatives, and Cavanaugh responds with “Yeah!”

Cavanaugh’s hat helped lead law enforcement to him, according to court documents, as did posts on his public Facebook page about buying plane tickets to go to Washington on the day of the riots.

Photos on his Facebook also showed Cavanaugh in the same Tactical Citizen hat that he appeared to wear while in the Capitol.

Law enforcement also reviewed videos of Cavanaugh going through the Bozeman-Yellowstone International Airport on January 9, exiting the jetway from a plane that arrived from Denver.

In that footage, Cavanaugh was also wearing the hat.

Cavanaugh is a former U.S. Marine, according to the Tactical Citizen website, with deployments in Iraq and Afghanistan. According to the Secretary of State’s business search, Cavanaugh opened Tactical Citizen in 2019.

The arrest documents signed by United States Magistrate Judge Zia M. Faruqui were unsealed Tuesday. Calls to Tactical Citizen and the District of Montana U.S. Attorney’s Office were not returned Wednesday."

https://www.bozemandailychronicle.com/n ... ad437.html
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

Next time, they will all come in costume. Live and learn.

Next time.
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Post by bill_g »

Attack of the plushies!!!
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

bill_g wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 2:32 pm Attack of the plushies!!!
Expect to see an uptick in Halloween Costume Emporiums, specially in men's sizes, open year-round.
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Post by bill_g »

p0rtia wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 2:36 pm
bill_g wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 2:32 pm Attack of the plushies!!!
Expect to see an uptick in Halloween Costume Emporiums, specially in men's sizes, open year-round.
GI Joe in urban camo will be the top seller.
Luke
Location: @orly_licious With Pete Buttigieg and the other "open and defiant homosexuals" --Bryan Fischer AFA

Post by Luke »

p0rtia wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 2:31 pm Next time, they will all come in costume. Live and learn.

Next time.
Still makes me laugh that since they didn't wear masks cause freedumb, they were more recognizable. They sure showed us! :lol:

Florida's had its fair share of insurrectionists too also.

It's one thing to see the kids doing this, but seeing 55-year-olds like that woman whose husband filed for divorce is unbelievable. Being all in on RWNJ radio, TV and websites 24/7 really does a number on your head. Tried it a few years ago, listened all day to RW talk radio with Fox News in the background, and just looked at Breitbart & other RW news sites. It's nuts, your whole perspective gets skewed. Even the ads for survival food, medical quackery and precious metals is depressing. Some enterprising lawyer should try to sue the RW media ecosystem for making their client so unhinged and crazy that they thought they really should storm the Capitol.

Do charges and convictions like this end up on your credit report? Have been thinking of what the practical ramifications will be for these clowns.
Lt Root Beer of the Mighty 699th. Fogbow 💙s titular Mama June in Fogbow's Favourite Show™ Mama June: From Not To Hot! Fogbow's Theme Song™ Edith Massey's "I Got The Evidence!" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5jDHZd0JAg
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Citadel cadet, Army recruit latest from SC charged in US Capitol riot

https://www.postandcourier.com/news/cit ... 17b28.html
Elias Irizarry and Elliot Bishai face charges of knowingly entering or remaining in any restricted building without lawful authority, knowingly engaging in disorderly or disruptive conduct in any restricted buildings, and violent entry and disorderly conduct on Capitol grounds, according to federal court documents.

:snippity:

They were released on $25,000 unsecured bond after a hearing March 16 at the federal courthouse in Columbia. They have another hearing March 22. The men said nothing during the hearing.

Irizarry, 19, is a freshman at The Citadel who has hometowns in Fort Mill and just outside Los Angeles. He remains a cadet at the school pending an investigation, a spokeswoman said.

Bishai, 20, also is from Fort Mill. He was slated to attend Oklahoma State University in its ROTC program with plans to become an Air Force pilot, according to a Facebook post for the Gastonia Civil Air Patrol.
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Rock Hill teen charged in Jan. 6 Capitol riot no longer part of Republicans at Citadel

https://www.heraldonline.com/news/local ... 29869.html
A Citadel cadet from Rock Hill charged in connection with the U.S. Capitol riot on Jan. 6 has been kicked out of the Republican club at the school, according to club officials.

Elias Irizarry is the son of actor Vincent Irizarry. Vincent Irizarry was in the Clint Eastwood film “Heartbreak Ridge” and other television and movie roles. Elias was had been active in Republican politics as a teen in New Jersey and York County, S.C.

Bishai and Irizarry both are charged with violent entry and disorderly conduct on Capitol grounds, illegally and knowingly entering or remaining in a restricted building, and knowingly engaging in disorderly or disruptive conduct in any restricted building or grounds. Each of the respective charges is a misdemeanor and carries penalties of a year or less in prison under federal law.
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Chilidog

Post by Chilidog »

Only criminal wear masks.

They honestly thought that people would look at them as hero's.

They really didn't think this whole thing through that well.
Frater I*I
Verified: ✅Verified Devilish Hyena

Post by Frater I*I »

Volkonski wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 4:47 pm Citadel cadet, Army recruit latest from SC charged in US Capitol riot

https://www.postandcourier.com/news/cit ... 17b28.html
Elias Irizarry and Elliot Bishai face charges of knowingly entering or remaining in any restricted building without lawful authority, knowingly engaging in disorderly or disruptive conduct in any restricted buildings, and violent entry and disorderly conduct on Capitol grounds, according to federal court documents.

They were released on $25,000 unsecured bond after a hearing March 16 at the federal courthouse in Columbia. They have another hearing March 22. The men said nothing during the hearing.

Irizarry, 19, is a freshman at The Citadel who has hometowns in Fort Mill and just outside Los Angeles. He remains a cadet at the school pending an investigation, a spokeswoman said.

Bishai, 20, also is from Fort Mill. He was slated to attend Oklahoma State University in its ROTC program with plans to become an Air Force pilot, according to a Facebook post for the Gastonia Civil Air Patrol.
Participating in a insurrection against your own government, great way to start your military career. I guess the standards have gone down compared to when I joined in 94 :bored:
"He sewed his eyes shut because he is afraid to see, He tries to tell me what I put inside of me
He's got the answers to ease my curiosity, He dreamed a god up and called it Christianity"

Trent Reznor
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

4977414F-4C71-4830-9896-DA1E211F7906.jpeg
4977414F-4C71-4830-9896-DA1E211F7906.jpeg (363.33 KiB) Viewed 3179 times
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics ... li=BBnb7Kz
Democratic Rep. Ruben Gallego of Arizona, a Marine Corps veteran, last week called on Veterans Affairs Secretary Denis McDonough to withdraw benefits from active-duty service members, veterans, or military retirees who participated in the deadly January 6 Capitol riot.

"The behavior of these individuals is not representative of the large population of American veterans, the vast majority of whom served honorably and are appalled by the thought of insurrection in the country they served," he wrote in a letter. "Yet, many of the veterans and service members who attacked their own government actively and enthusiastically enjoy benefits not available to their fellow citizens."

Such benefits include access to disability compensation, more affordable healthcare options, and vocational opportunities.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

AndyinPA wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 11:26 am https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics ... li=BBnb7Kz
Democratic Rep. Ruben Gallego of Arizona, a Marine Corps veteran, last week called on Veterans Affairs Secretary Denis McDonough to withdraw benefits from active-duty service members, veterans, or military retirees who participated in the deadly January 6 Capitol riot.

"The behavior of these individuals is not representative of the large population of American veterans, the vast majority of whom served honorably and are appalled by the thought of insurrection in the country they served," he wrote in a letter. "Yet, many of the veterans and service members who attacked their own government actively and enthusiastically enjoy benefits not available to their fellow citizens."

Such benefits include access to disability compensation, more affordable healthcare options, and vocational opportunities.
I get this, but aren’t they entitled to due process?
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

pipistrelle wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 11:44 am
AndyinPA wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 11:26 am https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics ... li=BBnb7Kz

I would hope he means after a trial and a guilty verdict.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Eaststander

Post by Eaststander »

It’s just hilarious to think of these bozos getting their comeuppance after proudly posting their misdeeds on social media. Restores my faith in Karma.
noblepa

Post by noblepa »

AndyinPA wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 12:30 pm
pipistrelle wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 11:44 am
I would hope he means after a trial and a guilty verdict.
Does the law(s) authorizing such benefits in the first place, allow for those benefits to be withdrawn? I can see that there might be a provision that incarcerated prisoners, or those convicted of a felony should lose their benefits, but I seriously doubt that Congress ever dreamed that they needed to include a provision to withdraw benefits in the event of armed insurrection.

It might not be legally possible to withdraw those benefits, even though it seems like the right thing to do.
Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

SuzieC wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 10:44 pm Glad to hear it. I know it is considered mean and a no-no to make fun of looks but the more these insurrectionists can be mocked and scorned, the better, as far as I am concerned.
I think the rule is
If they’re born like that, no go
If they do it to themselves, go!

Those’re my guidelines, anyway. ;)
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

https://www.washingtonpost.com/national ... story.html
Two months into one of the biggest criminal investigations in U.S. history, prosecutors are preparing to start plea discussions as early as this week with many of the more than 300 suspects charged in the U.S. Capitol riot — even as investigators race to piece together larger conspiracy cases against those suspected of the most serious crimes, according to people familiar with the discussions.

The planned plea talks follow efforts by the D.C. U.S. attorney’s office, which is overseeing the prosecutions, to first create a system for efficiently organizing what they expect will be upward of 400 criminal cases and the growing pile of associated evidence, these people said. Like others, they spoke on the condition of anonymity to discuss an ongoing investigation.

“We hope to start extending plea offers within the next week or so,” said one person familiar with the investigation.

FBI agents and prosecutors are rushing to understand the actions and intentions of not just individuals, but also extremist groups like the Proud Boys and Oath Keepers, and exactly how a mob of roughly 800 people broke into the Capitol on Jan. 6 — a process that has drawn complaints from some defendants who argue their cases are being delayed to accommodate the Justice Department’s heavy workload.
LM K
Occupation: Professor Shrinky Lady, brainwashing young adults daily!

Post by LM K »

2 Frontline documentaries about the insurrection.

Trump's American Carnage:

https://www.pbs.org/video/trumps-americ ... ge-cgbssm/

American Insurrection will air on April 13.
"The jungle is no place for a cellist."
From "Take the Money and Run"
Dave from down under

Post by Dave from down under »

Any plea deal that doesn’t involve conviction for a felony will have a counter deterrent effect.
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

Dave from down under wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 4:56 pm Any plea deal that doesn’t involve conviction for a felony will have a counter deterrent effect.
They aren't all charged with a felony.
Dave from down under

Post by Dave from down under »

sugar magnolia wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 6:03 pm
Dave from down under wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 4:56 pm Any plea deal that doesn’t involve conviction for a felony will have a counter deterrent effect.
Perhaps they all should be..
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

Dave from down under wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 6:40 pm
No argument from me. I think if they stepped foot inside the Capitol they should have a sedition charge added to whatever pissant misdemeanor charges they catch.
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Post by northland10 »

sugar magnolia wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 7:04 pm
Dave from down under wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 6:40 pm

No argument from me. I think if they stepped foot inside the Capitol they should have a sedition charge added to whatever pissant misdemeanor charges they catch.
While true, the DOJ has to measure their capacity with what they believe they can get. On the lower level ones, they could go after a felony, but that would take more resources and increase the risk they lose it all in aquittal. If they offer a plea with a felony without having other felonies charged, the defendant may well take their chances as a felony for a smaller level person would be harder to get in court and take more time and effort to accomplish it. I would assume the DOJ wants to make sure they have the capacity to really hit the bigger ones.

Sedition, like conspiracy, is likely harder to prosecute. Unlike trespassing or theft, sedition can be in the eye of the beholder. While I may think all of their actions should be considered sedition, it is up to those in the jury box.
101010 :towel:
Azastan
Verified:

Post by Azastan »

https://lawandcrime.com/u-s-capitol-sie ... ers-claim/

Lawyers for Mr Young put up the following compelling argument for letting their client out of jail:
“The psychological burdens of being detained pending trial are very real for Mr. Young. Since he has no previous experience with the criminal justice system, being detained is taking an extremely high toll on his mental well-being,” the motion stated. “Prior to being detained, Mr. Young was a mentally strong and stable person with no history of mental disorders. His current emotional and psychological state is owing entirely to the fact that he has been detained and is unable to rely upon his normal social support systems. Because he is such a strong family man, locking him up away from his wife and children with the prospect of an extremely long period of time before trial is even scheduled is causing potentially irreparable psychological and emotional damage to Mr. Young.”

Return to “The January 6 Insurrection, including Criminal Cases”