Ghislaine Maxwell trial

tek

Re: Ghislaine Maxwell trial

Post by tek »

"I have a rule, you have your next witness or you rest," she said.
:boxing: :daydreaming:
Res Ipsa

Post by Res Ipsa »

More breaking: Defense reveals that FBI seized Millions of documents, data & files from devices in 2019 search of Jeffrey Epstein’s home — only a fraction of which thd Govt has made public in the case. What are on those other files?
This is the classic "God of the gaps" kind of stuff that keeps the conspiracy crap alive.

If my home office were raided, and 16 years worth of computers, devices, and electronic media were seized, the government would also have "millions of documents, data & files" from those devices.

I just bought a new computer last week and migrated my normal stuff to it. So, in one week, the disk has 221.04 GB of data stored on it - apps, data, music, photo, the works.

BFD.

But, "they" killed Epstein to cover up the powerful cabal of pedophiles which, apparently, Maxwell didn't know about or, for whatever reason, none of it came out in her trial for sex trafficking. So, "look over here! Millions of files! It must be in there and the FBI is covering it up!"

https://www.cnn.com/2021/12/15/politics ... index.html
Washington (CNN)Frustrated JFK researchers say there is little new to learn in Wednesday's release of previously classified documents collected as part of the government review into the 1963 assassination of President John F. Kennedy.

The vast majority of the almost 1,500 documents released by the National Archives as new appear to be duplicates of previously released documents with only a few redacted words now revealed, often the name of a CIA case officer or the location of an overseas agency station that investigators had already pieced together. Some have no changes whatsoever.

The release still leaves more than 10,000 documents either partially redacted or withheld entirely, which won't be seen until December 2022 at the earliest under an order issued by President Joe Biden in October.
This tweet is a classic example of dropping some flakes in the goldfish bowl. I'm sure the gunman on the grassy knoll is hiding in those other 10,000 documents.
Dr. Ken

Post by Dr. Ken »

ImageImagePhilly Boondoggle
Res Ipsa

Post by Res Ipsa »

And the Twitter replies are off to the races again on the assumption that anyone who ever flew anywhere on one of Epstein's planes was somehow engaged in child sexual abuse despite the obvious lack of anything to support that assumption.
filly

Post by filly »

Well it is kind of odd when you own your own big ass Boeing to fly around with an underling.
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

[
Here's What the Jury Notes Reveal About the First Full Day of Ghislaine Maxwell Deliberations”

The Maxwell jury finished for the day at 5 p.m.

This is what they asked to look at—and what that means.

With analysis by
@MitchellEpner

https://lawandcrime.com/live-trials/ghi ... berations/ via
@lawcrimenews[
somerset

Post by somerset »

Res Ipsa wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 10:28 am
More breaking: Defense reveals that FBI seized Millions of documents, data & files from devices in 2019 search of Jeffrey Epstein’s home — only a fraction of which thd Govt has made public in the case. What are on those other files?
This is the classic "God of the gaps" kind of stuff that keeps the conspiracy crap alive.

If my home office were raided, and 16 years worth of computers, devices, and electronic media were seized, the government would also have "millions of documents, data & files" from those devices.

I just bought a new computer last week and migrated my normal stuff to it. So, in one week, the disk has 221.04 GB of data stored on it - apps, data, music, photo, the works.

That's all? ;)
Dr. Caligari

Post by Dr. Caligari »

pipistrelle wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 5:14 pm Haven’t they had months to line up witnesses and prep?
Yes, but witnesses don't want to sit around for days waiting to testify. My experience as a trial lawyer was that, if you can't get a witness to court with only 2 or 3 hours' notice, you won't get them at all.
J.D., Miskatonic University School of Law
Res Ipsa

Post by Res Ipsa »

somerset wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 6:10 pm
Res Ipsa wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 10:28 am

That's all? ;)
Lol, yeah, my BIG archive is copied onto two external disks, one of which is kept at another location.

But the "Ooglebytes of data seized" thing has become something of a set piece in clickbait yellow journalism of the type posted above.

Most people have "thousands of files" in the smartphone they carry around all day, but never really think about it that way. In these types of stories - "police seize thousands of documents and files in raid on suspected crime boss", the implicit understanding between the author and reader is that there is a huge secret trove of damning information because, yeah, when I'm engaged in longstanding criminal activity I keep an office cabinet with a file system organized by 18 USC sections to record my misdeeds with meticulous care. Now, sure, there are folks like Philly's famous "fast Eddy" (Google that one for a trippy story) who kept plastic garbage bags full of evidence accumulated over the years, and it is those kinds of stories with whom this type of empty-calorie clickbait is intended to resonate.

Eventually, we'll never see these "thousands of files" which will ONLY mean that the authorities are covering them up, thus proving the extent of the conspiracy.

But the "legit" reporting is also intended to resonate with the conspiracy theory underground, in the same way that political rhetoric can take an apparent high road by only borrowing certain catch phrases or themes from those emails that are passed around by crazy uncles. It's why Sarah Palin could say things along the lines of "who really is Barack Obama?" without expressly stating any particular birther theory - because the audience is already primed to answer that question for themselves by the undercurrent of bullshit on social media.

The media has been doing the same thing with the Maxwell trial. The actual story of this useless bag of flesh attaching herself to a warped parasite of the wealthy and powerful isn't really tremendously interesting beyond the circle of those involved and affected. But what gets the eyeballs is the "any day now" hype of the Big Reveal, The Storm, Judgment Day - the final apocalyptic reckoning when the evildoers will be exposed and deposed so that all of my imagined bogeymen will be vanquished.

So, yeah, a wealthy influence-trader flew people around on his airplane. What makes that front-page news? Particularly when its news we've all heard before. Oh, oh, but now we know HOW MANY TIMES and WHERE THEY WENT! Holy cow! Trump and his varying entourage flew from Palm Beach to New York and back a few times. Wow! Gosh ,that MUST mean they are all abusing teenagers!
filly

Post by filly »

Of course the trial is not about the public and yellow journalism clickbait.
LM K
Occupation: Professor Shrinky Lady, brainwashing young adults daily!

Post by LM K »

"The jungle is no place for a cellist."
From "Take the Money and Run"
Res Ipsa

Post by Res Ipsa »

filly wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 9:16 am Of course the trial is not about the public and yellow journalism clickbait.
The trial is about a soulless woman who attached herself to a wealthy man and catered to his fetishes by assisting in the grooming and procuring of young women.

The driver of public interest in the trial has little to do with what the trial is about, what the charges are, and what is the evidence supporting those charges. The media and social media personalities have glommed onto this proceeding as a way of attracting clicks and eyeballs from an audience which is already primed to confirm pre-existing beliefs in a narrative as old as gossip itself.
filly

Post by filly »

And this differs from other high profile scandalous trials? Maybe in the number of prominent men who were associated with Epstein, and there are many, however, Maxwell is not charged with crimes involving Bill Clinton, Bill Gates, Prince Andrew, the Dotard, etc.

There is so much media that is out of control that the term "yellow journalism" seems a bit antiquated.
filly

Post by filly »

Back to what the jurors are doing: they asked for different colored Post-It notes and the definition of "enticement" and the Judge apparently referred them to the jury instructions:

poplove
Verified: ✅💚💙💜☮️💐🌈⚽️✅

Post by poplove »

Adam Klasfeld
@KlasfeldReports
Now Ghislaine Maxwell jurors want the transcript of ex-Epstein pilot David Rodgers’ testimony.
12:03 PM · Dec 27, 2021·Twitter for iPhone

About 10 years ago, I was on a federal jury for a criminal trial and we asked for a transcript of a witness during deliberation. Judge denined, saying we had to rely on our memory and notes. But it was a very short trial, just 4 days.
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

As the jury still deliberates in the Maxwell case, Prince Andrew tries to stave off Virginia Giuffre's civil lawsuit by arguing that the U.S. court may not have jurisdiction.

The prince is attacking Giuffre's ties to Colorado, claiming she's "actually domiciled in Australia."
LM K

Post by LM K »

Judge Nathan enters and reads a jury note.

"Our deliberations are moving along, and we are making progress."

They want to adjourn at 5 p.m. and come in at 9 a.m.
Lawyers, how do you interpret this?
LM K

Post by LM K »

raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

Verdict incoming, reportedly... (from the Twitters)
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
LM K

Post by LM K »

raison de arizona wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 4:55 pm Verdict incoming, reportedly... (from the Twitters)
Holy cow!!

I hope to dog that Maxwell is found guilt on at least one charge. Guilty verdicts on all 6 charges would be amazing.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

Also reporting on MSNBC. Jury being led in.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
LM K

Post by LM K »

For those wishing to refresh their memory about the charges against Maxwell.
Ghislaine Maxwell is charged with six counts in her federal trial in New York related to what prosecutors say are her efforts to groom and traffic underage girls to be sexually abused by her close companion Jeffrey Epstein.

She has pleaded not guilty to six federal counts: sex trafficking of a minor, enticing a minor to travel to engage in criminal sexual activity, transporting a minor with the intent to engage in criminal sexual activity, and three counts of conspiracy.
:snippity:
Much more at the link.

Maxwell is facing 70 years.
LM K

Post by LM K »

Guilty on 5 of 6 charges!
LM K

Post by LM K »

This is much better than I expected!!
filly

Post by filly »

GUILTY on all but Count Two.

Return to “Law and Lawsuits”