Assault on the Capitol (DC)

Slim Cognito
Verified:

Re: Assault on the Capitol (DC)

Post by Slim Cognito »

Do Olympians get any kind of participation prize and, if so, can they be yanked?
My Crested Yorkie, Gilda and her amazing hair.

ImageImageImage x4
Jim

Post by Jim »

Slim Cognito wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 2:21 pm Do Olympians get any kind of participation prize and, if so, can they be yanked?
Not that I know of, but they may lose sponsorships and advertising opportunities.
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

I hope the feds are "following the money" which helped Denney and Hazard make the "Rally" a reality.
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

Quite a closing

In argument for release from pretrial jail in Jan 6 case, Robert Morss concludes:

"What the Republic needs is.. faith in elections, not politicized law enforcement criminalizing everyone who disagrees w/ the political party that has been credited with the win"
johnpcapitalist
Verified: ✅ Totally legit!

Post by johnpcapitalist »

Jim wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 2:56 pm
Slim Cognito wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 2:21 pm Do Olympians get any kind of participation prize and, if so, can they be yanked?
Not that I know of, but they may lose sponsorships and advertising opportunities.
I'm not sure Klete Keller was a big enough star to have major endorsement deals. A quick scan of the articles about his conviction suggests he was working as an independent contractor in commercial real estate, a job he lost as soon as he was arrested. I didn't see anything about endorsement deals that disappeared.
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

Happening now: Robert Scott Palmer, who attacked cops at the Capitol on Jan. 6 while wearing an American flag sweatshirt emblazoned with Donald Trump’s name, is about to be sentenced.

This will likely be the longest prison term in a Jan. 6 case to date.
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

Frater I*I
Verified: ✅Verified Devilish Hyena

Post by Frater I*I »

63 months for him.
"He sewed his eyes shut because he is afraid to see, He tries to tell me what I put inside of me
He's got the answers to ease my curiosity, He dreamed a god up and called it Christianity"

Trent Reznor
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

Frater I*I wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 1:57 pm 63 months for him.
Not enough, but it'll do....

ImageImageImage x4
johnpcapitalist
Verified: ✅ Totally legit!

Post by johnpcapitalist »

Slim Cognito wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 2:04 pm
True, but the symbolic castration of No Moar Gunz is for life.
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

Kendra wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 12:41 pm https:// twitter.com/MacFarlaneNews/status/1471896472870219780
Quite a closing

In argument for release from pretrial jail in Jan 6 case, Robert Morss concludes:

"What the Republic needs is.. faith in elections, not politicized law enforcement criminalizing everyone who disagrees w/ the political party that has been credited with the win"
:think: what when those disagreeing turn to criminal activities...
Tiredretiredlawyer

johnpcapitalist wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 2:08 pm
Slim Cognito wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 2:04 pm
True, but the symbolic castration of No Moar Gunz is for life.
:dance: :bwahaha: :blissy: :bunny: :rockon: :banana:
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

MAGA rioter: Trump supporters were 'entitled' to attack the Capitol because the president gave permission
Matthew Chapman
December 16, 2021

On Thursday, NBC4 Washington's Scott MacFarlane reported that an accused January 6 Capitol insurrectionist, Robert Morss of Pennsylvania, is making a novel argument in a new court filing arguing for his pretrial release from jail. According to Morss, he had the right to do what he did — because President Donald Trump had authorized it.

"Whatever transpired once they arrived at the Capitol, the protesters were entitled to do as the President directed," said Morss in the filing. He also added that "government agents may have been involved" in turning the demonstration violent.

https://www.rawstory.com/robert-morss-2656052930/
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

from the article above:
Morss is one of many Capitol riot defendants claiming that their actions were in some way encouraged or sanctioned by the former president, who was impeached for incitement to insurrection shortly after leaving office. Thus far, judges have not accepted this argument.
But, but, but...trump's speech was....."extremely calming."

ImageImageImage x4
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Post by bill_g »

Finally, one of these MF'ers is telling the truth. He was acting on directions from his president.
Maybenaut
Verified: ✅✅

Post by Maybenaut »

“Novel” and “finally”? Haven’t a lot of these folks been saying this from the beginning?
"Hey! We left this England place because it was bogus, and if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too!" -- Thomas Jefferson
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

Maybenaut wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 9:27 am “Novel” and “finally”? Haven’t a lot of these folks been saying this from the beginning?
Yes, I would say it's been the number 1 defense. "I was sent by the [real] president!"
Tiredretiredlawyer

https://deadline.com/2021/12/bobs-burge ... 234899204/
‘Bob’s Burgers’ Actor Jay Johnston Benched Over Alleged Participation In Capitol Riot

Jay Johnston, who voiced Bob Belcher’s (H. Jon Benjamin) business rival Jimmy Pesto in 43 episodes of Bob’s Burgers, has been sidelined from the Fox animated series due to his alleged involvement in the January 6 Capitol Riot.

The Daily Beast reported Friday about Johnston’s indefinite hiatus from the series. While any possible involvement of Johnston in the events of the 6th is unclear, he’s allegedly seen in multiple photos captured at the scene last year by the FBI. Thus far, the actor has been neither arrested nor charged in connection to the riot.

Sources confirm to Deadline that Johnston, who had been recurring on Bob’s Burgers, has not been brought back to do an episode since Jan. 6, 2021, and there are no plans for his character to be featured in the foreseeable future. Reps for Fox and 20th Television Animation, which produces the series, had no comment.
noblepa

Post by noblepa »

He did win some medals in 2000, 2004 and 2008. I don't know if they were bronze, silver or gold. Those can be revoked. A few have been revoked in the past, but I doubt that the IOC will do so. They probably don't want to be seen as getting involved in US politics. I believe that past revocations have been for athletes found to have used performance enhancing drugs.
noblepa

Post by noblepa »

palmer wrote: After Palmer pleaded guilty, and said he took responsibility for attacking police, he posted on GiveSendGo that he was actually acting in self-defense.
IANAL, but it is my understanding that one is not normally allowed to engage in "self defense" against a police officer. That's called "resisting arrest" and/or "assaulting a police officer". Under certain conditions, officers are allowed to use force to subdue a suspect. When one is arrested, the suspect is supposed to acquiesce to the orders from the officer. Unless the officer has used excessive force, resistance may not be futile, but it is illegal.

Resisting arrest is, in itself, a crime. Even if you are acquitted of the original crime for which you were arrested, you can still be convicted of resisting.
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

Ya, generally medals are revoked for stuff that happens around the time you won the Medal. What you do after your sport career is over is none of their business in their view. And rightly so, imo.
Hic sunt dracones
Ben-Prime
Verified: ✅MamaSaysI'mBonaFide

Post by Ben-Prime »

noblepa wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 12:13 pm
palmer wrote: After Palmer pleaded guilty, and said he took responsibility for attacking police, he posted on GiveSendGo that he was actually acting in self-defense.
IANAL, but it is my understanding that one is not normally allowed to engage in "self defense" against a police officer. That's called "resisting arrest" and/or "assaulting a police officer". Under certain conditions, officers are allowed to use force to subdue a suspect. When one is arrested, the suspect is supposed to acquiesce to the orders from the officer. Unless the officer has used excessive force, resistance may not be futile, but it is illegal.

Resisting arrest is, in itself, a crime. Even if you are acquitted of the original crime for which you were arrested, you can still be convicted of resisting.
Indeed, isn't that the argument these types usually used when someone of a racial, religious, or gender identity minority or some other flavor of cultural/countercultural expression runs afoul of the law and is beaten savagely merely for inquiring of a cop?
But the sunshine aye shall light the sky,
As round and round we run;
And the truth shall ever come uppermost,
And justice shall be done.

- Charles Mackay, "Eternal Justice"
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

Today's Numbers
The number of federal cases against individuals involved in the Capitol Hill Siege stands at 703. According to our latest analysis of the cases:

Average age: 39-years-old
Individuals came from 45 states and the District of Columbia
Cases have been brought against 612 men (87%) and 91 women (13%)
The largest numbers came from Florida (75), Pennsylvania (63), and Texas (63)
The majority (>80%) were charged in part using evidence from their personal social media accounts, others' accounts, or both
81 (12%) have military experience (73 Veterans, 2 National Guard, 4 Reserve, 1 Active Duty, 1 Attending Basic Training)
151 (21%) have pleaded guilty
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

Thanks for posting that, pip. Very interesting. Nice to step back and see the big picture.
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

Suranis wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 12:17 pm Ya, generally medals are revoked for stuff that happens around the time you won the Medal. What you do after your sport career is over is none of their business in their view. And rightly so, imo.
I agree.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams

Return to “The January 6 Insurrection, including Criminal Cases”