Hijack This Thread

AndyinPA
Verified:

Re: Hijack This Thread

Post by AndyinPA »

https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/las- ... index.html
(CNN) — As of Tuesday, December 14, some travelers going to Las Vegas may notice a change in their itineraries.
That day, the airport formerly known as McCarran International Airport is set to become Harry Reid International Airport. Its FAA code, LAS, will stay the same.

The Clark County Board of Commissioners voted in February in favor of renaming McCarran after Harry Reid, the powerful Democrat who served Nevada in the US Senate for decades, including a stint as majority leader during the Obama administration from 2007 to 2015.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

AndyinPA wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 1:44 pm https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/las- ... index.html
(CNN) — As of Tuesday, December 14, some travelers going to Las Vegas may notice a change in their itineraries.
That day, the airport formerly known as McCarran International Airport is set to become Harry Reid International Airport. Its FAA code, LAS, will stay the same.

The Clark County Board of Commissioners voted in February in favor of renaming McCarran after Harry Reid, the powerful Democrat who served Nevada in the US Senate for decades, including a stint as majority leader during the Obama administration from 2007 to 2015.
That must have frosted some cookies.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

The same Harry Reid who sold the NV nuclear geological deposits to China :?:
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

raison de arizona wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 1:55 pm
AndyinPA wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 1:44 pm https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/las- ... index.html

That must have frosted some cookies.
All I’m going to say about frosted cookies is FOREVER WASHINGTON NATIONAL.
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Post by northland10 »

With codes you need not worry about renaming since codes almost always (AFAIK) stay the same. Therefore:

- O'Hare - ORD which came from Orchard Field
- Kansas City International - MCI from the old Mid-Continent International name it once had.
- Reagan (or Washington) National Airport - DCA I am not sure if it was ever named DC Airport in the past or they just used DCA for DC. I don't know if Napakiak Airport got WNA first and therefore, it was taken.
101010 :towel:
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
northland10

Post by northland10 »

For this next Sunday, we are singing a paraphrased version of the Magnificat (where Mary says in good King's English "My soul doth magnify the Lord..." or Magnificat anima mea Dominum for Suranis). It is set to a simple Swedish folk song. Unfortunately, the tune has similarities to another tune I know well, so when singing it in my head, I sadly slip into the other tune and get something like this.

My heart sings out with joyful praise to God who raises me,
Who came to me when I was low and changed my destiny
The Holy One, the Living God, is always full of grace
I put on women's clothing and hang around in bars

I hope I can get through this on Sunday.
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

:yeahthat:
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Estiveo
Verified:

Post by Estiveo »

Liz always has a plan for everything, yet she never actually seems to do anything.
Image Image Image Image
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

northland10 wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 7:40 pm For this next Sunday, we are singing a paraphrased version of the Magnificat (where Mary says in good King's English "My soul doth magnify the Lord..." or Magnificat anima mea Dominum for Suranis). It is set to a simple Swedish folk song. Unfortunately, the tune has similarities to another tune I know well, so when singing it in my head, I sadly slip into the other tune and get something like this.

My heart sings out with joyful praise to God who raises me,
Who came to me when I was low and changed my destiny
The Holy One, the Living God, is always full of grace
I put on women's clothing and hang around in bars

I hope I can get through this on Sunday.
And the other lyrics..... :biggrin:
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

https://www.washingtonpost.com/dc-md-va ... nd-escape/
After four months on the run in the Maryland suburbs, two zebras that escaped from an exotic animal farm have been caught.

Spokespeople for the U.S. Department of Agriculture’s Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service and Prince George’s County Department of the Environment confirmed that the zebras had been captured, but could not provide details on when the recovery took place.

Neither the USDA nor Prince George’s County Animal Services were involved in the capture, but were notified Monday that the zebras had been recovered and returned to their herd last week. Prince George’s County officials said they had spent weeks working with the zebra caretakers trying to lure them into a corral using food and other zebras from the herd.
MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

An obituary worth sharing - Renay Mandel Corren
El Paso, TX—A plus-sized Jewish lady redneck died in El Paso on Saturday.

Of itself hardly news, or good news if you're the type that subscribes to the notion that anybody not named you dying in El Paso, Texas is good news. In which case have I got news for you: the bawdy, fertile, redheaded matriarch of a sprawling Jewish-Mexican-Redneck American family has kicked it. This was not good news to Renay Mandel Corren's many surviving children, grandchildren and great-grandchildren, many of whom she even knew and, in her own way, loved. There will be much mourning in the many glamorous locales she went bankrupt in: McKeesport, PA, Renay's birthplace and where she first fell in love with ham, and atheism; Fayetteville and Kill Devil Hills, NC, where Renay's dreams, credit rating and marriage are all buried; and of course Miami, FL, where Renay's parents, uncles, aunts, and eternal hopes of all Miami Dolphins fans everywhere, are all buried pretty deep. Renay was preceded in death by Don Shula.

Because she was my mother, the death of zaftig good-time gal Renay Corren at the impossible old age of 84 is newsworthy to me, and I treat it with the same respect and reverence she had for, well, nothing. A more disrespectful, trash-reading, talking and watching woman in NC, FL or TX was not to be found. Hers was an itinerant, much-lived life, a Yankee Florida liberal Jewish Tough Gal who bowled 'em in Japan, rolled 'em in North Carolina and was a singularly unique parent.
There’s much, much more at the link. A fun read, highly recommended.
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

That's an obituary I want!
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

I hear ya, trl! Aspirations!
Greatgrey
Verified: 💲8️⃣

Post by Greatgrey »

Finally! A PACER app!

What's the Frequency, Kenneth?
northland10

Post by northland10 »

I was browsing through a house info website and one included extra feature of the property:

Fenced Yard
Storage
Jetted Tub
Dishwasher
Lawn
Dryer
Mother-in-Law
Microwave
Pool
Laundry: In Unit

And regarding the Pacer app for iPad. That will be great when I am back to going to the office, and have a new iPad.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

Coolest obit I ever read! :lol:
roadscholar

Post by roadscholar »

northland10 wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 7:14 pm I was browsing through a house info website and one included extra feature of the property:

Fenced Yard
Storage
Jetted Tub
Dishwasher
Lawn
Dryer
Mother-in-Law
Microwave
Pool

And regarding the Pacer app for iPad. That will be great when I am back to going to the office, and have a new iPad.
“Mother-in-law” is truncated slang for a detached or semi-detached suite on a property, where such a relative might be housed.
The bitterest truth is more wholesome than the sweetest lie.
northland10

Post by northland10 »

Ah.. I learn something new every day. I just assumed they were including a real mother-in-law as a feature (or maybe a bug).
keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

Post by keith »

MN-Skeptic wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 1:31 am An obituary worth sharing - Renay Mandel Corren

El Paso, TX—A plus-sized Jewish lady redneck died in El Paso on Saturday.
:snippity:
There’s much, much more at the link. A fun read, highly recommended.
That's a good'un.

My wife and in-laws set up an obit for my father-in-law that read like a race horse description kind of thing - he was a horse racing fanatic, had owned horses in the past, and won a couple of important races in Australia.
Has everybody heard about the bird?
tek

Post by tek »

northland10 wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 9:48 pm Ah.. I learn something new every day. I just assumed they were including a real mother-in-law as a feature (or maybe a bug).
Gotta be careful writing the purchase and sale agreement, they might be! :batting:
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Post by bill_g »

northland10 wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 9:48 pm Ah.. I learn something new every day. I just assumed they were including a real mother-in-law as a feature (or maybe a bug).
aka ADU - Accessory Dwelling Unit - detached residential housing on the same tax lot as the primary dwelling. Portland is permitting them to increase the available affordable rental housing. There is a break in property taxes as well.
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Post by bill_g »

tek wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 7:06 am
Gotta be careful writing the purchase and sale agreement, they might be! :batting:
It also reads as if there may be some laundry to take care of once you move it.
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

roadscholar wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 9:46 pm
northland10 wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 7:14 pm I was browsing through a house info website and one included extra feature of the property:

Fenced Yard
Storage
Jetted Tub
Dishwasher
Lawn
Dryer
Mother-in-Law
Microwave
Pool

“Mother-in-law” is truncated slang for a detached or semi-detached suite on a property, where such a relative might be housed.
It also refers to a separate suite within the main home, usually on the other side of the house than the other bedrooms.

Return to “General Stuff”