2016 US Senate: Nevada

Joseph Robidoux III

Post by Joseph Robidoux III »

Sen Reid will run for re-election in 2016, maybe.Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid (D-Nev.) doesn’t sound like he’s going anywhere, suggesting to local reporters that he’s a good bet to seek reelection in 2016.“Sure, why not?” Reid said when asked about whether he would seek a sixth term.[/break1]washingtonpost.com/blogs/post-politics/wp/2013/02/21/harry-reid-on-reelection-sure-why-not/]http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/pos ... e-why-not/

Addie

Post by Addie »

CBS News

Senate's top Democrat makes big career announcement

The top Democrat in the Senate announced Friday that he would not run for re-election in 2016.

Senate Minority Leader Harry Reid of Nevada said Friday morning that he wouldn't be running for a sixth term.

"We have to make sure that the Democrats take control of the Senate again," Reid said. "And I feel it is inappropriate for me to soak up all those resources on me when I could be devoting those resources to the caucus, and that's what I intend to do."

"The very least you can do in your life is to figure out what you hope for." - Barbara Kingsolver

Addie

Post by Addie »

New York Times

Harry Reid Says He Won’t Seek Re-Election

WASHINGTON — Senator Harry Reid, the tough tactician who has led Senate Democrats since 2005, will not seek re-election next year, bringing an end to a three-decade congressional career that culminated with his push of President Obama’s ambitious agenda against fierce Republican resistance.

Mr. Reid, 75, who suffered serious eye and facial injuries in a Jan. 1 exercise accident at his Las Vegas home, said he had been contemplating retiring from the Senate for months. He said his decision was not attributable either to the accident or to his demotion to minority leader after Democrats lost the majority in November’s midterm elections.

“I understand this place,” Mr. Reid said. “I have quite a bit of power as minority leader.”

He has already confounded the new Republican majority this year by holding Democrats united against a proposal to gut the Obama administration’s immigration policies as well as a human-trafficking measure Democrats objected to over an anti-abortion provision.

“I want to be able to go out at the top of my game,” said Mr. Reid, who used a sports metaphor about athletes who try to hang on too long. “I don’t want to be a 42-year-old trying to become a designated hitter.”

"The very least you can do in your life is to figure out what you hope for." - Barbara Kingsolver

mimi

Post by mimi »

I don't blame him one bit. But Sharron Angle got more votes than I ever woulda thought she could. 45% of th vote.

I'm not saying Angle would run again, but if they got someone slightly less crazy... :-?

mimi

Post by mimi »

right wingers are tweeting with dancing gifs.

Jon Ralston is tweeting his thoughts.

Jon Ralston @RalstonReports

I wonder if/when Reid called his anointed choice to succeed him, ex-AG Catherine Cortez Mastio, now parked at university system sinecure.

DSCC: "There is a talented pool of Nevada Democrats who are ready to step up to the plate..." RalstonFact: Um, no.

NV Dems have a very weak bench. Others to consider but all behind ex-AG Masto: @dinatitus @LucyFlores @KateMarshallNV Someone named Reid

There are more tweets. Apparently even his kids didn't know.

And weigel is commiserating that he'll have to go to Vegas and hang with Ralston to cover the news. haha!

mimi

Post by mimi »

You might know some of these nuggets, but I'd bet you haven't hear all of 'em.

Harry Reid choked a man for trying to bribe him, and 10 more facts about the Senate leader

http://www.vox.com/2015/3/27/8299635/harry-reid-retires

gatsby

Post by gatsby »

I've never understood what kind of "exercise" accident he had. Did a barbell fall on his eye? It was bad enough that he's covered the eye with an opaque lens in his glasses. Is that eye now blind? Or is it just that he didn't want anyone seeing it while it heals?

mimi

Post by mimi »

he was using an exercise band and it snapped.

He's "nearly blind" in that eye.

mimi

Post by mimi »

Washington Post @washingtonpost

Harry Reid endorses Chuck Schumer to succeed him as Senate Minority Leader wapo.st/1xFse7A

Sterngard Friegen

Post by Sterngard Friegen »

Washington Post @washingtonpost Harry Reid endorses Chuck Schumer to succeed him as Senate Minority Leader wapo.st/1xFse7A :explode: :explode: :explode: :explode: :explode: :explode: :explode: :explode: :explode: :explode: :explode: :explode: :explode:

Addie

Post by Addie »

Slate

This Is the Woman Harry Reid Wants to Replace Him in the Senate

Senate Minority Leader Harry Reid announced Friday morning that he’s retiring, and he’s wasting no time trying to coronate his successor. The Washington Post is reporting that the outgoing senator—who would have been up for re-election in 2016—says he favors the state’s former attorney general, Catherine Cortez Masto, as his replacement.

The Nevada Senate race in 2016 could be pretty interesting. Reid was widely perceived as one of the most vulnerable Democratic incumbents, but his open seat could give Republicans an even better pickup opportunity (though that thesis is hotly debated, as Jeff Singer details at Daily Kos Elections).

If Cortez Masto runs, she could be quite competitive. After being term-limited out of the attorney general’s office, she became executive vice chancellor of the Nevada System of Higher Education, which oversees colleges and universities in the state. During her short time there, she’s drawn national attention for her position on campus carry legislation. USA Today reports that current Nevada policy gives college presidents veto power over whether or not someone can carry a weapon on campus. But the Nevada Legislature is considering legislation that would take that power away from them, allowing people over 21 to carry concealed weapons on college campuses. Cortez Masto is an adamant opponent of that change.

“The law works right now and from our perspective, it does not need to be changed,” she told USA Today. “The need for them to have this broad authority to carry a concealed weapons doesn’t exist. This is a solution in search for a problem that doesn’t exist.”

Dolly

Re: 2016 US Senate: Nevada

Post by Dolly »

Jon Ralston has several tweets about Sharron Angle filing for Nevada Senate
Jon Ralston
@RalstonReports
I host Ralston Live statewide on PBS, have @rgj column, email newsletter and site. Politico Mag contributing editor. ralstonreports@gmail.com
Las Vegas, NV
ralstonreports.com
https://twitter.com/RalstonReports

Jon Ralston ‏@RalstonReports 1h1 hour ago
Jon Ralston Retweeted Nancy Kuhns
Yes, it's true! Sharron Angle has filed for the U.S. Senate. Happy days are here again, except for @RepJoeHeck.

Michelle Rindels
@RindelsAP
Nevada-based politics reporter for The Associated Press. NAHJ Region 7 Director. Email me: mrindels@ap.org. Call me: 702-382-7440
Las Vegas, NV
ap.org
https://twitter.com/RindelsAP

Michelle Rindels ‏@RindelsAP 57m57 minutes ago
LAS VEGAS (AP) — Nevada conservative Sharron Angle is making an encore bid for the U.S. Senate seat being vacated by Democratic Sen. Reid.

vanity post at Free Republic.
Sharron Angle Filing for Nevada Senate Run 2016
3/18/2016 | Self
Posted on 3/18/2016, 3:29:48 PM by mad_as_he$$

Sharron Angle at SoS office right now filing.
http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/3410985/posts
Avatar by Tal Peleg Art of Makeup https://www.facebook.com/TalPelegMakeUp

Plutodog

Re: 2016 US Senate: Nevada

Post by Plutodog »

*groan* :madguy:
The only good Bundy is an Al Bundy.

Return to “U.S. Senate”