Assault on the Capitol (DC)

Notaperson

Re: Assault on the Capitol (DC)

Post by Notaperson »

Perhaps he'll be happier living under an authoritarian regime.

Capitol rioter Evan Neumann applies for asylum in Belarus, says local media
Evan Neumann, who appears to have sat down for an interview with Belarusian state television in a segment entitled “Goodbye, America,” is wanted in the United States on charges of violent entry and disorderly conduct on Capitol grounds, as well as for assaulting, resisting and obstructing law enforcement during civil disorder.
:snippity:
When mass protests broke out across Belarus last year over the presidential election, which the international community has widely denounced as rigged, thousands of demonstrators were brutally beaten by police and arrested. Many said they were tortured in prison.

But Neumann could be welcomed in Belarus as part of the regime’s anti-Western propaganda. Lukashenko, who has been in power since 1994, has said last year’s opposition movement was stoked by the United States to unseat him.

In an excerpt of Neumann’s interview, the Belarusian state television presenter said Neumann “sought justice and asked uncomfortable questions” following the 2020 U.S. elections. The 48-year-old “lost almost everything and is being persecuted by the U.S. government,” the presenter added.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/eu ... story.html
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

pipistrelle wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 9:04 am
raison de arizona wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 11:03 pm Anyone know this guy?
https:// twitter.com/columbiabugle/status/1456439699564900388?s=21
I would google him. WaPo has some good stories on him but I assume they're behind the paywall. He had security clearance and intelligence experience within the alphabet agencies and was a key planner of the insurrection, suggesting tactics that were violent and terrorist in nature. And I saw he also climbed a wall while there.

No doubt he has cancer and a bad back, but they didn't seem to come into play until he was arrested.

I've no doubt the DC jail conditions are miserable, although it's not hard to imagine they're better in the "J6" wing than in the drug dealer wing (so to speak). One of the insurrectionists complains about not being able to get clean nail clippers.

These are active participants in the "Big Lie." It's hard for me personally to believe much of what they say. They want to play up their role as tortured "political prisoner patriots."
This search will pull up relevant WaPo references
https://www.google.com/search?q=site%3A ... s+caldwell
Hidden Content
This board requires you to be registered and logged-in to view hidden content.
Hidden Content
It shows that Calwell was one of the first to be indicted, only two weeks after J6, perhaps his military prominence made him an early target. But already in another article in January there isvthe claim of him being an active organizer with 3%ers.

Re missing pain medication: did he decline attorney representation? A lawyer would have forced the jail to provide the required care.
Maybenaut
Verified: ✅✅

Post by Maybenaut »

Sweet Jesus…

Judge Christopher Cooper denies a request by Capitol rioter Eduardo Gonzalez — who admitted smoking pot in the building that day — to travel to London while he's awaiting sentencing post-guilty plea.

"...finding the request one toke over the line"
"Hey! We left this England place because it was bogus, and if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too!" -- Thomas Jefferson
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

:rotflmao:
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

Sweet Jesus!
ImageImageImage x5
Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

:lol:
The London train will not be on time.
filly

Post by filly »

The Honorable Christopher Cooper, an Obama appointee, is a native of Mobile, Alabama! Undergrad at Yale, summa cum laude and JD from Stanford, with distinction. Was President of the Stanford Law Review. Succeeded Royce Lamberth. :clap:
bob

Post by bob »

RTH10260 wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 10:49 amRe missing pain medication: did he decline attorney representation? A lawyer would have forced the jail to provide the required care.
Caldwell is (was?) represented by David Fischer (of Maryland).

I say possibly "was" because Fischer filed a motion that the judge trashed as unprofessional.

Regardless, a criminal defense lawyer doesn't have a lot of sway over conditions of confinement. If the lawyer can convince the judge the conditions are impairing the ability to prepare for trial (read: create reversible error on appeal), then the judge might order the sheriff to comply.

Unless you draw a judge like Lamberth, who suddenly has an interest in jail conditions.
Image ImageImage
Gregg

Post by Gregg »

RTH10260 wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 10:49 am
pipistrelle wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 9:04 am
raison de arizona wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 11:03 pm Anyone know this guy?
https:// twitter.com/columbiabugle/status/1456439699564900388?s=21
I would google him. WaPo has some good stories on him but I assume they're behind the paywall. He had security clearance and intelligence experience within the alphabet agencies and was a key planner of the insurrection, suggesting tactics that were violent and terrorist in nature. And I saw he also climbed a wall while there.

No doubt he has cancer and a bad back, but they didn't seem to come into play until he was arrested.

I've no doubt the DC jail conditions are miserable, although it's not hard to imagine they're better in the "J6" wing than in the drug dealer wing (so to speak). One of the insurrectionists complains about not being able to get clean nail clippers.

These are active participants in the "Big Lie." It's hard for me personally to believe much of what they say. They want to play up their role as tortured "political prisoner patriots."
This search will pull up relevant WaPo references
https://www.google.com/search?q=site%3A ... s+caldwell
Hidden Content
Hidden Content
It shows that Calwell was one of the first to be indicted, only two weeks after J6, perhaps his military prominence made him an early target. But already in another article in January there isvthe claim of him being an active organizer with 3%ers.

Re missing pain medication: did he decline attorney representation? A lawyer would have forced the jail to provide the required care.
Hidden Content
Supreme Commander, Imperial Illuminati Air Force
:dog:

You don't have to consent, but I'm gonna tase you anyway.
Gregg

Post by Gregg »

Maybenaut wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 1:18 pm Sweet Jesus…

Judge Christopher Cooper denies a request by Capitol rioter Eduardo Gonzalez — who admitted smoking pot in the building that day — to travel to London while he's awaiting sentencing post-guilty plea.

"...finding the request one toke over the line"
Good, I don't want the twerp over there while I am. Besides, with my luck I'd end up next to him on a plane or stuck with him in the lounge for my 9 hour layover in Boston.
Supreme Commander, Imperial Illuminati Air Force
:dog:

You don't have to consent, but I'm gonna tase you anyway.
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

Navy veteran Thomas Edward Caldwell led a band of the Oath Keepers extremist group to Washington on Jan. 6 to storm the U.S. Capitol, federal prosecutors allege, helping to mastermind a violent plot to stop lawmakers from certifying Joe Biden’s presidential victory.

But Caldwell’s attorney, Thomas K. Plofchan, says he isn’t just a retired lieutenant commander. Caldwell also had a top-secret security clearance and served as a section chief for the FBI after leaving the armed forces in 2009, Plofchan said.

Those details were revealed in a motion filed Monday asking a judge to release Caldwell from custody, citing his long military career and ability to pass vetting for the high-security clearance. His attorney also said that Caldwell has disabilities from his military service that would have prevented him from storming the Capitol.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2 ... eeper-fbi/
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

Caldwell has several service-related injuries and other disabilities, his attorney said, including injuries to his shoulders, degenerative lumbar disc disease and chronic knee pain. He underwent spinal fusion surgery in 2010 that failed, the filing said, and has post-traumatic stress disorder.

“Moving, sitting for extended periods of time, lifting, carrying, and other physical activities are extremely painful and Caldwell is limited in his ability to engage in them,” the motion said.

His attorney also said that witnesses “will testify that [Caldwell] never entered the U.S. Capitol Building and that his physical limitations would have prevented him from forcibly entering any building or storming past any barrier.”
tek

Post by tek »

Those details were revealed in a motion filed Monday asking a judge to release Caldwell from custody, citing his long military career and ability to pass vetting for the high-security clearance.
That, to me, is evidence that his brain is now broken.
Azastan
Verified:

Post by Azastan »

tek wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 7:17 am
Those details were revealed in a motion filed Monday asking a judge to release Caldwell from custody, citing his long military career and ability to pass vetting for the high-security clearance.
That, to me, is evidence that his brain is now broken.
That, to me, is evidence that he is even more dangerous than the goons who actually did invade the Capitol, since he was one of the planners of the violence.
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: grumpy ol' geezer

Post by Foggy »

Just saw a tweet from Bob Cesca, that Pence and aides were locked out of their own offices in the Capitol on January 6th, because their digital keycards had been deactivated. :shock:
I'm Foggy and I forget if I approved this message.
raison de arizona

Much more complaining, especially about Federalist Trump judge without experience :lol: at link.

That said, if a 1/10th of what they are saying about conditions is true...
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
filly

Post by filly »

Yes, jails are horrible places to be. As the right wingers like to say (about black and brown people in jail/prison) they should have abided by the law and they wouldn't be there. It never mattered to them if people had actually been convicted of anything. Life should be as miserable as possible! Look at how long the citizens of Maricopa county cheered on Joe Arpaio and his jails. The pink underwear was hilarious! Moldy bologna was better than they deserved! Oh, get beaten to a pulp or murdered by jail guards or a fellow inmate? Tsk tsk. Shit happens.

But when one of their own is in jail, OMG! Before Rharon had her falling out with Admiral Fitzfundfilcher millions of electrons were devoted to the horrid jail conditions in Tennessee! OMG DO YOU KNOW THEY CHARGE PRISONERS AN OUTRAGEOUS AMOUNT OF MONEY TO MAKE PHONE CALLS? They deny people their insulin! OMG OMG OMG.

If your fellow inmates are beating the shit out of you the warden's gonna put you in solitary for your own protection. Maybe the T**** judge will let the poor long suffering guy out. I doubt he'd do it for a black guy.
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

The Shaman's attorney is trying for a hail Mary.

Thread:

AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

Should have thought of that before January 6. :bored:
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Post by northland10 »

filly wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 3:47 pm
Yes, jails are horrible places to be. As the right wingers like to say (about black and brown people in jail/prison) they should have abided by the law and they wouldn't be there. It never mattered to them if people had actually been convicted of anything. Life should be as miserable as possible! Look at how long the citizens of Maricopa county cheered on Joe Arpaio and his jails. The pink underwear was hilarious! Moldy bologna was better than they deserved! Oh, get beaten to a pulp or murdered by jail guards or a fellow inmate? Tsk tsk. Shit happens.

But when one of their own is in jail, OMG! Before Rharon had her falling out with Admiral Fitzfundfilcher millions of electrons were devoted to the horrid jail conditions in Tennessee! OMG DO YOU KNOW THEY CHARGE PRISONERS AN OUTRAGEOUS AMOUNT OF MONEY TO MAKE PHONE CALLS? They deny people their insulin! OMG OMG OMG.

If your fellow inmates are beating the shit out of you the warden's gonna put you in solitary for your own protection. Maybe the T**** judge will let the poor long suffering guy out. I doubt he'd do it for a black guy.
:yeahthat:
Their white privilege in these cases annoys the hell out of me. When it happened to others, especially others of color, they saw no problem and whined that the liberals were coddling the prisoners. Now that they experience the same thing, it is victimhood to the 100th power.

What is even worse is that many are probably only playing for victim sympathy, hoping their stupid white privilege will come to their rescue. How many will walk out realizing there is a problem and change their view? I suspect very little. I know their messiah (TFG) definitely would not change their view.
101010 :towel:
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

There's a sentencing at 11am today for Capitol rioter Scott Fairlamb, who pleaded guilty to punching an officer in the head. Prosecutors are seeking 44 mos in prison, he'll be arguing for 11 mos (basically the time he's already served) https://s3.documentcloud.org/documents/ ... irlamb.pdf
raison de arizona

AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

https://apnews.com/article/donald-trump ... b0d6e6235a

LONDON (AP) — Britain’s Prince Harry has sharply attacked the failure of social media companies to challenge hate online, revealing that he warned the chief executive of Twitter ahead of the Jan. 6 Capitol riots that the site was being used to stage political unrest.

Harry made the comments Tuesday in an online panel on misinformation in California. He said he made his concerns known via email to Twitter CEO Jack Dorsey the day before the riot in Washington.

“Jack and I were emailing each other prior to January 6 where I warned him that his platform was allowing a coup to be staged,” Harry said at the RE:WIRED tech forum. “That email was sent the day before and then it happened and I haven’t heard from him since.”

Twitter declined to comment on Harry’s remarks.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
raison de arizona

Hmm.

Don't know how this will help, but I'm not a defense attorney so... :shrug:

Return to “The January 6 Insurrection, including Criminal Cases”