Eyeglasses and masks

We have ALL your misinformation, plus some TRUE FACTS and SCIENCE.
LM K
Occupation: Professor Shrinky Lady, brainwashing young adults daily!

Eyeglasses and masks

Post by LM K »

So, I've upgraded my mask and am now wearing KN95s.

I wear glasses, and my glasses fog up like crazy when wearing my KN95. I initially had this problem when I wore disposable masks, but figured out how to wear disposable masks without fogging my glasses up.

I've had no luck adjusting to my KN95. My glasses fog up like crazy. I use a lanyard with my masks; I have a small face and masks tend to be too loose. No matter how I adjust my mask, with/without a lanyard, my glasses fog up.

I use anti-fog wipes on my glasses, but they leave streaks, which is driving me nuts.

Any recommendations for an anti-fog product for glasses with an anti-reflective coating?
"The jungle is no place for a cellist."
From "Take the Money and Run"
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Re: Eyeglasses and masks

Post by Slim Cognito »

Keep a small pkg of tissue handy. When you need to do masks/glasses, fold one sheet of tissue into a thin strip, place it across the bridge of your nose under your mask. The tissue will absorb the moisture. (learned it from nurse SiL.)
My Crested Yorkie, Gilda and her amazing hair.

ImageImageImage x4
dan1100

Post by dan1100 »

I have the same problem with the KN-95 and to a lesser extent with any ear mask.

I've pretty much have gone to the real 3M N95 that uses the back of the neck and back of the head straps. Everybody is different, but for me the difference in seal is night and day.

It does make bifocals totally useless, so I am switching glasses to read in public.
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Post by northland10 »

Slim Cognito wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 3:16 pm Keep a small pkg of tissue handy. When you need to do masks/glasses, fold one sheet of tissue into a thin strip, place it across the bridge of your nose under your mask. The tissue will absorb the moisture. (learned it from nurse SiL.)
I usually have one tome on Sunday morning's when I end up with the steaming, though only on the right side. I normally wear my mask nearly into my eye and the glasses forward, but the extra hard breathing from music-making sometimes causes an issue (reading music with one side steamed is no fun). I can sometimes fix it by tightening the right side (it is an over-the-ear mask but the loops are adjustable).

This mask is good for singing because the seam keeps the center away from the mouth.
101010 :towel:
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Post by bill_g »

Slim Cognito wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 3:16 pm Keep a small pkg of tissue handy. When you need to do masks/glasses, fold one sheet of tissue into a thin strip, place it across the bridge of your nose under your mask. The tissue will absorb the moisture. (learned it from nurse SiL.)
Thx. I'll have to try that.
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

This has never worked for me. I’ve given up. The masks with metal strips help some.
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

dan1100 wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 3:24 pm I have the same problem with the KN-95 and to a lesser extent with any ear mask.

I've pretty much have gone to the real 3M N95 that uses the back of the neck and back of the head straps. Everybody is different, but for me the difference in seal is night and day.

It does make bifocals totally useless, so I am switching glasses to read in public.
I have these and I still get some fogging even though they’re tight.
Chilidog

Post by Chilidog »

Try wearing a mask with both glasses AND hearing aids.

:(
Mr brolin
Verified: ✅ as vaguely humanoid

Post by Mr brolin »

I cheat...... :biggrin:

During lock down the lenses in both my eyes went from "couple of specs, couple of years to ripen then we'll have a look" to "Ahhhhhh, i'll write an immediate referral to a surgeon"

Both lenses liquified, sucked out and replaced over a one week period

Now i suddenly have no need for the Mr Magoo's after mumble mumble years...First thing to make a difference.....no steaming up with a mask.... :thumbsup:
keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

Post by keith »

I'm told that surgeons wrar masks that are taped down under the eyes so their glasses don't fog.
Be assured that a walk through the ocean of most souls Would scarcely get your feet wet
Sam the Centipede

Post by Sam the Centipede »

Based on seeing patients and visitors struggling with Type IIR (blue surgical) masks in the hospital, the first step to possible happiness is bending the wire before putting it on. Fold (almost) completely at the center then fold back about 90° about 15 mm or ½ inch from the center. Then put the mask on slightly high up the nose, and pull into place.

As you pull and push the mask onto the nose the wire will spread to fit, and it's easier to get a tight (or tightish) fit by spreading out the white with the nose than by squeezing it with fingers when it's already on.

I'm not saying this cures the fogging problem, but a good fit can mitigate it. I don't get problems unless I step outside and the lenses themselves get cold and mist up on going back into the warm. We have to change masks frequently so it's not practical to do much more.

That's only me experience; others will have different advice.
Lani

Post by Lani »

I have a smallish face and struggled with foggy glasses and slipping masks. I found an article about some tips for smallish faces that recommended folding up the lowest tier of the pleated blue disposable mask (less height, better fit under the chin). Pinch the wire before putting on the mask. And twist the elastic strings once before putting them over the ears.
Image You can't wait until life isn't hard anymore before you decide to be happy.
Reddog

Post by Reddog »

I seemed to have some luck if by adjusting the glasses if the lenses were cold, (causing condensation from warm exhaled air), by setting the nosepads on the mask instead of directly on the bridge of the nose. My theory is that this allows more ambient air (lower humidity) to reach the rear of the lens.

I prefer the 3m 8210 myself, and always had a box of them around the house e.g. working in the attic. The supply dried up and 1 mask was selling for more than what I had paid for a box of 20. Just now the price has come back down to pre-covid levels, and available again. Worst thing about them is removing the strap while wearing a hat, hardhat.

I also have a PAPR (3M TR-800) that has no fogging problems at all, (inconvenient, yes, but better than breathing PbO dust). I need to get new filters for it, I couldn't get any a year ago, but the supply may have opened up since then. 3M had a global hold on items like that, reserving sales only for medical uses.
noblepa

Post by noblepa »

I haven't used KN95's or other sophisticated masks, and I wear bifocals.

I've found that, by sliding my glasses down my nose, and not right up against my face, the fogging is decreased quite a bit. This does cause a little problem in that it effectively changes the optical properties of the reading portion. If I'm in a store and need to read a price tag, for example, I need to push them back in place.
chancery
Verified:

Post by chancery »

Lifelong* glasses wearer and fog sufferer here.**

For what it's worth, I've found surgical masks and most cloth masks to create so much fog that I carry my glasses in my hand, popping them on when I need to read a sign or a label.

On the other hand, K94 masks are much better for me. YMMV
___
* Since I was eight or nine.

** Rain hoods are extremely prone to create fogging conditions, in my experience. Way back in the 1970s, the wonderful Sierra Designs, a pioneering manufacturer of outdoor equipment, addressed the problem by introducing a hoodless poncho with a drawstring collar, meant to be worn with a sou’wester hat. Great idea, I meant to get one, along with a sou’wester, but it wasn’t popular and didn't last long in the catalog.

I keep thinking about getting a sou’wester, but it's hard to know what to do with them when they're not on your head. I do have a cherished "crushable" rain hat, which serves pretty well.
filly

Post by filly »

I found some good KN95 masks on Amazon that have good bendable nose pieces that greatly reduce the fogging issue. Thanks for this thread because it reminded me to order more. My new dentist gave us some super 3M KN95 masks but we are saving them for the plane trip home )if that ever happens).
filly

Post by filly »

filly wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 12:53 pm I found some good KN95 masks on Amazon that have good bendable nose pieces that greatly reduce the fogging issue. Thanks for this thread because it reminded me to order more. My new dentist gave us some super 3M KN95 masks but we are saving them for the plane trip home )if that ever happens).
Meant to type 94 instead of 95. Oxycodone. The 3M is only available to medical professionals.
Reddog

Post by Reddog »

filly wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 12:55 pm
filly wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 12:53 pm I found some good KN95 masks on Amazon that have good bendable nose pieces that greatly reduce the fogging issue. Thanks for this thread because it reminded me to order more. My new dentist gave us some super 3M KN95 masks but we are saving them for the plane trip home )if that ever happens).
Meant to type 94 instead of 95. Oxycodone. The 3M is only available to medical professionals.
I think 95 was correct to begin with. good link at 3m https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/personal-he ... -all-info/

I had used lens cleaning/coating products that caused the moisture to condense in larger particles so they didn't have the fogging effect. That would be similar to SCUBA products, (though I was taught to spit on the lens and rinse). I don't think anybody spits on their eyeglasses.

I can see why face size is problematic,(nose profile too). The problem is the masks are basically one-size-fits-all.

3M still lists N95 as available to Health Professionals, but I picked up a box of 20 at our local Minerds a few days ago, at a reasonable price. I haven't found anything better when working on the house, attic insulation, drywall, plaster/lath, scraping popcorn ceilings.
dan1100

Post by dan1100 »

Reddog wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 1:31 pm
filly wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 12:55 pm
:snippity:

3M still lists N95 as available to Health Professionals, but I picked up a box of 20 at our local Minerds a few days ago, at a reasonable price. I haven't found anything better when working on the house, attic insulation, drywall, plaster/lath, scraping popcorn ceilings.
I bought 20 of the real 3M N95's on Amazon a couple of months ago.
Frater I*I
Verified: ✅Verified Devilish Hyena

Post by Frater I*I »

So I'll offer my advice here, but it might not work so well for all. In the Corps when were getting ready to head out to the firing range, we got an unscented, plain bar of soap. We we're told to rub the soap on the interior glass, then slowly wipe off until there was barley a film to the naked eye, never had a fog issue. Warning how ever, this was to keep the glasses from fogging up due to gas blow back from the rifle, yet I found it equally useful when I had to mask up in class.

Take it for what you will.
"He sewed his eyes shut because he is afraid to see, He tries to tell me what I put inside of me
He's got the answers to ease my curiosity, He dreamed a god up and called it Christianity"

Trent Reznor
Sam the Centipede

Post by Sam the Centipede »

One little consolation for those peering through misted lenses: that irritating barrier in front of your eyes helps keep virus particles in the air from settling in your eyeballs and possibly entering your body that way.
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

I wear these multi-layer Cotton Masks made by a local Dress alteration shop. What I do is tuck the top of the mask under my glasses so the glasses trap the cotton between my nose and the glasses. Not only is that great for my nose, it stops the glasses misting up. :thankyou:
Hic sunt dracones
LM K
Occupation: Professor Shrinky Lady, brainwashing young adults daily!

Post by LM K »

Thanks, y'all! This has been helpful!

I tried K95s. My right jaw was significantly damaged in a car accident 10 years ago. My jaw isn't stable enough to wear a K95.

Regarding masks purchased online. Most KN95s sold online are ineffective because sellers are being very misleading about the maker of their masks. According to the CDC, 60% of masks sold online are counterfeits.

Below are 2 articles by NYT. I didn't snip anything from the first article. I snipped some sections from the second article; NYT gives a long list of recommended masks, making the article incredibly long.

The articles are posted as spoilers for scrolling help.
► Show Spoiler
Article 2.
► Show Spoiler
"The jungle is no place for a cellist."
From "Take the Money and Run"

Return to “COVID-19 and its several variants”