New iphone, other smartphones and other technology

SueDB

Postby SueDB » Thu Oct 09, 2014 11:38 pm

I got a HTC One Max last year not too long after they came out. I've been really happy with it. It's the first phone that has really been readable, and I have kinda fat fingers which makes it hard on the small screens.

You can follow the action, which gets you good pictures.
You can follow your instincts, which'll probably get you in trouble.
Or... you can follow the money - The Two Jakes -

Foggy

Postby Foggy » Fri Oct 10, 2014 6:10 am

Today we got Vonage. :D

"The only thing more dangerous than an idea is a belief. And by dangerous I don't mean thought-provoking. I mean: might get people killed." - Sarah Vowell

magdalen77

Postby magdalen77 » Fri Oct 10, 2014 12:32 pm

Today we got Vonage. :D

Wow, now you can make intergalactic phone calls. At least that's what the ads say. :D

Foggy

Postby Foggy » Fri Oct 10, 2014 3:17 pm

Extually, the damn base isn't working, and I've been on hold for 20 minutes waiting for some support. I'm getting sick of being told to go to the website and read the FAQ. My cable modem is working perfectly. My cable from the modem to the base is not the problem -- if I connect the cable to a computer instead I can get online. So they gave me a faulty piece of equipment, and there isn't going to be a FAQ that says "What if we gave you a faulty piece of equipment?"

So they're in trouble when they do answer the phone, but I have a speakerphone, so I'll wait, if it takes 4 hours. The longer I have to wait, the more acerbic I'll be. :angry:

"The only thing more dangerous than an idea is a belief. And by dangerous I don't mean thought-provoking. I mean: might get people killed." - Sarah Vowell

Foggy

Postby Foggy » Fri Oct 10, 2014 4:10 pm

They finally understood that it was a faulty piece of equipment and are sending me new stuff.

So I got that goin' for me. Which is nice. :D

Plutodog

Postby Plutodog » Sun Oct 12, 2014 3:27 am

So...they decided they didn't want to mess with a mad-as-a-wet-hen Rooster, eh? :angry:

We are not sinners. We are not abominations. We were not born broken, and we do not need salvation. We have embraced our right to think beyond the boundaries of religion. We are living and loving our lives free from faith. -- Sarah Morehead

Sterngard Friegen

Postby Sterngard Friegen » Mon Oct 13, 2014 9:26 am

They finally understood that it was a faulty piece of equipment and are sending me new stuff.

So I got that goin' for me. Which is nice. :D

I've got a few questions. :sterngard:

How long were you on hold?

Did you let 'em have it?

Was there an argument before Vonage agreed to give you new equipment?

What were the magic words you used?

How long did it take before Vonage gave in?

Foggy

Postby Foggy » Mon Oct 13, 2014 10:51 am

How long were you on hold?

About 20 minutes.

Did you let 'em have it?

Nah. The guy who answered was a genuinely nice guy. Soon as he realized I was right, he was really helpful.

Was there an argument before Vonage agreed to give you new equipment?

It took me about 5 minutes to convince the guy it was bad equipment.

"That's really rare, they're supposed to test it before they ship it."

But once I told the guy what I had done to narrow it down to bad equipment, he didn't have much choice but to agree. You connect the base to your cable modem with a cable. Before I called them, I took the cable out of the base and connected it to a computer, and I was online. So I knew (1) the cable modem port worked, and (2) the cable worked. There being only three pieces of equipment in the chain and two of them being proved worthy, that kinda narrowed things down.

What were the magic words you used?

"I am not the entity known as FOOGIE; I'm a flesh and blood man with a soul." :mrgreen:

How long did it take before Vonage gave in?

Like I said, 5 minutes. The handset is supposed to "register" with the base. When I read him the error message "Registration failed" he was all done and the whole rest of the phone call was him getting enough info to ship me new equipment.

Now, if the new equipment doesn't work when it gets here in the next couple days ...

Sterngard Friegen

Postby Sterngard Friegen » Mon Oct 13, 2014 10:55 am

Good luck. It reminds me of the time I was trying a case in Superior Court in Santa Monica. The street had been repaved and all the parking meters in front of the courthouse had been removed. So I parked in front. No signs. No meters.

Well, when I came out that afternoon signs and meters had been installed and guess who got a ticket. I fought the ticket and won. I was told the refund would be mailed shortly. That was seven years ago. :taptap:

ZekeB

Postby ZekeB » Mon Oct 13, 2014 10:57 am

You need to have a Citizen's Grand Slam Jury look into that, Stern.

Sterngard Friegen

Postby Sterngard Friegen » Mon Oct 13, 2014 10:58 am

You need to have a Citizen's Grand Slam Jury look into that, Stern.

Well it would be right at the courthouse. And bonus -- there is a Denny's down the street.

Family Liberty Patriot

Postby Family Liberty Patriot » Mon Oct 13, 2014 11:05 am

That's a trillion-dollar lien, that is.
"Trump/Palin 2016: Because it is what America deserves." -TBogg

SueDB

Postby SueDB » Mon Oct 13, 2014 12:04 pm

Some times you have to ask tech support to suspend their belief system for a moment as in -

ME: Yes, Yes, Yes, I KNOW it can't do that. Yep, impossible, uh, but just for a moment - humor me and pretend it DID happen. Now what can WE do about it???

Reality Check

Postby Reality Check » Mon Oct 13, 2014 2:32 pm

Foggy

I am curious. Where do you plug in their box? Does it plug into the router or directly into the cable modem? I have cable for phone and Internet. Recently I decided I wanted to purchase my own modem but you can't buy a modem that does both at least that I could find. However I found I could keep the cable company's modem for the phones and buy my own for Internet. I just had to add a splitter. The cable tech on the phone had a real time setting up both remotely though. I was on the phone a good hour before he got both to work correctly. My furnace room looks like a data center.
“The reality of what we really are is often times found in the small snips, way down at the bottom of things.” – Jean Shepherd

Foggy

Postby Foggy » Mon Oct 13, 2014 3:50 pm

We have Time-Warner Cable. The cable modem for Internet is in my office, and it's got 4 plugin ports for cat-5 cables and also broadcasts wireless. I can access it by opening a browser and going to 192.168.0.1.

Then there's another modem for the phones in another room, but still Time-Warner. And we have two landlines in the house, to make up for the schlemiels who don't have a landline at all. :taunt: One for business, one for personal. However, because it's not a business installation (which costs a LOT more) the lines don't roll over from one to the other. If you're on the phone on one line and somebody calls that line, they go on call waiting. Wifehorn is terrible about call waiting -- she thinks it's really rude to tell somebody "I have another call coming in. Gimme a minute to get rid of them and I'll be right back to you." 'Course, the person on call waiting hears the phone ringing and ringing, but nobody picks up. It's like the business is closed with no answering machine to record calls. She makes me crazy. She also insists on using a gmail account when I have professional email accounts using our domain name. I use bill.bryan@domain_name.com. She uses domain_name@gmail.com.

"Yanno, my friends laugh at anyone who's pretending to run a business and uses gmail," says I.

"Thunderbird can't do _____!" she says.

Umm, yes it can if you take an hour to learn how to use it. My Thunderbird collects all my email from -- I kid you not -- more than 20 email addresses that belong to me. I'd never be able to handle all my email without it, and she thinks it's horrible and unusable. Oh well, that's a subject for a different rant.

Now, I don't fully understand the Vonage system yet, because I couldn't get it running and play with it. But it's web-based, so plugged into my Internet modem. It uses the wireless network. It comes with two phones: one for Wifehorn, one for me. I'm pretty sure it has two lines, and it's supposed to roll over, or at least provide answering machine service if somebody calls while you're on the phone. Supposed to have a lot of other bells and whistles, but I'll report on those after I have a chance to check them out. We know some people who have Vonage and highly recommend them, so we're giving it a try. Our phone is already getting busier as the next open enrollment period closes in on us. When it hits, we expect to be swamped with calls.

But I'll know more about the phones by the end of this week, in a perfect world. More will be revealed.

SueDB

Postby SueDB » Mon Oct 13, 2014 3:56 pm

The Vonage modem connects to the cable/phone modem via a cat5e/6 straight through cable (should be no need for a crossover or x-over) There are ports where the two telephones for the two lines/two numbers can be plugged in. The rest is pretty much just software as far as how the calls are handled. If you have DHCP enabled on the modem (means you can plug something into the modem and it just works without a lot of roaring and screaming (manual configuration) ...

then your modem should automatically pick up the IP address, get on the network, and connect (or phone home) to mama.

jonbeck

Postby jonbeck » Mon Oct 13, 2014 4:00 pm

it is 2014, the novelty of having your own domain on your email has worn off. A some hosting services do not even offer email service, or make you pay for it Gmail works better than any email service, so why not use it?

SueDB

Postby SueDB » Mon Oct 13, 2014 4:03 pm

2 downsides - some systems and 911 don't mix as far as autolocating your house etc) and the other is when the power goes out. For one, you need a battery back up to run the modem for how ever long the power is out. APC makes tons of back-ups for small installations.

Now the power out is 2 problems in one - if you are like Comcast out here - your cable system draws power from the local grid. When the power goes out, so does the cable, so does the internet based phone. Comcast has been known to run portable generators to keep the nodes charged up during extended outages.

The other is that if you're power is off due to a cut wire, your cable wiring may have been cut in the same tube/accident.

I'm not knocking Vonage, it's just nice to let my friends know some of the limitations.

I have a hardwire POTS myself as both Ms SueDB and I have health issues where the loss of 911 in an emergency could be quite serious.

Qworst, err Century tel or whatever it is this week has an all you can eat long distance package cheap for those that bring up long distance fees versus internet phone service. It helps to ask your phone company to compete for your dollar/business.

SueDB

Postby SueDB » Mon Oct 13, 2014 4:04 pm

it is 2014, the novelty of having your own domain on your email has worn off. A some hosting services do not even offer email service, or make you pay for it Gmail works better than any email service, so why not use it?

You don't get a second chance to make a first impression.

Foggy

Postby Foggy » Mon Oct 13, 2014 4:29 pm

Yeah, what SueDB said.

'Course, the base station for the Vonage in this case has no configurable options until the phones register with the base. Then you can config if you don't have DHCP (but my cable modem does have DHCP).

The base station has three lights and a button. The button makes the phones beep in case you misplace one. It can reset the base station too if you hold it down for a while, I think.

One light shows power is on, one shows that it's connected to the network, and the third shows that phones are connected. I couldn't get anything but the power light to light up.

The setup is like this => Coax cable comes out of the wall, connects to the cable modem. Cat5/6 cable plugs into the cable modem at one end, into the base station at the other.

Coax --> cable modem --> cable --> base station

When I plugged in the cable to the base station, it didn't connect to the network and the network light wouldn't go on and the phones wouldn't register with the base.

But if I plugged the same damn cable into a computer, the computer got an IP address from the DHCP function of the cable modem and the computer could connect to the Web just fine. That's how I know for sure the cable modem and the Cat5 cable are not the problem. They work.

Should get the new base station by the end of the week. Then we'll move forward from there.

Return to “Computers & Internet”