Daylight Savings Time 2021 Began: Mar 14 Ends: Nov 7

What To Do About Daylight Savings Time's Twice Yearly Changes?

Keep It at DST
27%
Keep It at Standard time (without DST)
18%
Keep It like it is now, Spring Ahead, Fall Back
45%
Other
9%

Total votes: 11

AndyinPA
Verified:

Re: Daylight Savings Time 2021 Began: Mar 14 Ends: Nov 7

Post by AndyinPA »

"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Post by neonzx »

Reality Check wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 4:20 pm
neonzx wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 8:18 pm :snippity:
There are many areas of my county that don't even have street lights. And there have been deaths with kids waiting for their bus in the dark.
Yes, we who are old enough remember we went on extended daylight savings time back in the 1970's during the first oil embargo to "save energy" and the perception was it was putting children catching school buses in the dark in peril whether the statistics backed it up or not. I think that experiment lasted for all of a year.
If you are curious, this is the last traffic death related to a student waiting for a bus in Lee County. It was a hit-and-run. It took LE two months to track down the vehicle and the driver.
https://www.news-press.com/story/news/2 ... 792982002/
He only got 2 years. smh

Also, too, not only are there no street lights, but there are no sidewalks. After her death, the whole community came together to try and mitigate the issues by installing picnic tables at stops with reflectors and luminescence paint so these kids didn't have to sit on the grass or stand in the road. The sheriff's dept provided clip on strobe lights to kids.

I would prefer that we just stay on standard time year round and if businesses want to implement summer hours they are free to do so.
I don't much care either way -- pick one and stick to it. But I mentioned Florida already passed staying on DST year round (because of tourism, which is where the state generates the majority of it's revenue -- extra hour of beach time $$). The US Congresss will eventually get around to approving it.
somerset

Post by somerset »

neonzx wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 9:53 pm
Reality Check wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 4:20 pm
neonzx wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 8:18 pm :snippity:
There are many areas of my county that don't even have street lights. And there have been deaths with kids waiting for their bus in the dark.
Yes, we who are old enough remember we went on extended daylight savings time back in the 1970's during the first oil embargo to "save energy" and the perception was it was putting children catching school buses in the dark in peril whether the statistics backed it up or not. I think that experiment lasted for all of a year.
If you are curious, this is the last traffic death related to a student waiting for a bus in Lee County. It was a hit-and-run. It took LE two months to track down the vehicle and the driver.
https://www.news-press.com/story/news/2 ... 792982002/
He only got 2 years. smh

Also, too, not only are there no street lights, but there are no sidewalks. After her death, the whole community came together to try and mitigate the issues by installing picnic tables at stops with reflectors and luminescence paint so these kids didn't have to sit on the grass or stand in the road. The sheriff's dept provided clip on strobe lights to kids.

I would prefer that we just stay on standard time year round and if businesses want to implement summer hours they are free to do so.
I don't much care either way -- pick one and stick to it. But I mentioned Florida already passed staying on DST year round (because of tourism, which is where the state generates the majority of it's revenue -- extra hour of beach time $$). The US Congresss will eventually get around to approving it.
My feelings exactly.
Reality Check
Verified: ✅ Curmudgeon

Post by Reality Check »

I think most of us know this but I think it needs to be said. Daylight savings time does not save one minute of daylight. The amount of daylight is determined by two things, the date and the latitude at which you are located*. That is it. I would bet if you polled 100 people (not on the Fogbow) about half would say that daylight savings time creates more daylight.

*Yes, I am a nerd and I know that the eccentricity of the earth's orbit around the sun is a factor in determining actual sunrise and sunset on a particular day of the year. It does not change the discussion about DST.
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Post by neonzx »

Reality Check wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 8:18 am I think most of us know this but I think it needs to be said. Daylight savings time does not save one minute of daylight. The amount of daylight is determined by two things, the date and the latitude at which you are located*. That is it. I would bet if you polled 100 people (not on the Fogbow) about half would say that daylight savings time creates more daylight.

*Yes, I am a nerd and I know that the eccentricity of the earth's orbit around the sun is a factor in determining actual sunrise and sunset on a particular day of the year. It does not change the discussion about DST.
Yep, all it does is shift the clock... by one single hour. It never had anything to do with farmers or any of that BS.
We get an extra hour of daylight in the evening at the expense of an extra hour of darkness in the early morning.
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

Fear not, the Vernal Equinox is in four little days. Before you know it, the Sun will rise another hour earlier. :thumbsup:

'Course, the day after the Equinox we'll be hit by an enormous asteroid, in an extinction event that will end all life on Earth. Unless it misses us by 1.25 million miles, like they're saying. :dance:
The more I learn about this planet, the more improbable it all seems. :confuzzled:
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

I think DST was somewhat less of a problem before they extended it. I used to start at the end of April (when the mornings would have been light at an earlier time). I can't remember exactly when it ended, but I'm pretty sure it was before Halloween.

https://www.timeanddate.com/time/change/usa
Historically, there were no uniform rules for DST from 1945 to 1966. This caused widespread confusion, especially in transport and broadcasting. The Uniform Time Act of 1966 aligned the switch dates across the USA for the first time.

Following the 1973 oil embargo, the US Congress extended the DST period to 10 months in 1974 and 8 months in 1975, in an effort to save energy.

After the energy crisis was over in 1976, the DST schedule in the US was revised several times. From 1987 to 2006, the country observed DST for about 7 months each year.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler

Return to “General Stuff”