Assault on the Capitol (DC)

SlimSloSlider

Re: Assault on the Capitol (DC)

Post by SlimSloSlider »

Maybenaut wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 1:25 pm
oh, I don’t disagree. I was just thinking of how the British government treated the IRA as political prisoners. They kept them segregated, didn’t make them wear prison garb, etc. Until Margaret Thatcher showed up and changed all that. Treating them like criminals was actually one of the things that started bringing them to the negotiating table. I know it’s not the same situation, but it was just a thought that I had.
That’s largely inaccurate.
Thatcher fomented the hunger strikes and escalation.
She exacerbated things.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/HM_Prison_Maze

Negotiations became probable and eventually possible as demographics forced the Protestant’s hands in the North and as the Republic, increasingly prosperous, became, by a vast majority, wholly uninterested in integrating the North, an economic basketcase. Adams and his fellow thugs, pragmatists, saw possibilities through regular politics and an escape from an unwinnable war.
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

AndyinPA wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 4:10 pm https://www.salon.com/2021/10/27/video- ... ike-pence/
John Eastman, the former Trump lawyer who authored the infamous "coup memo" on how to overturn the 2020 election, was caught on camera saying his coup plan would have worked if it wasn't for former Vice President Mike Pence.

Lauren Windsor, a progressive activist who is known for posing incognito to draw out revealing statements from Republicans and conservatives, spoke to Eastman at an event hosted by The Claremont Institute, Eastman's employer.

Pretending to be an outspoken Trump supporter, Windsor tells Eastman, "I read your memo and I thought it was solid in all of its legal arguments. And I was floored that Mike Pence didn't do anything. Why didn't he act on it? You gave him the legal reasoning to do that."

"I know, I know," replied Eastman.
Rachel had more last night.

There's the full video at the link.
I listened to an article from an hour long interview with him on, uh, Federalist I think earlier this week or last. He claimed that the infamous memo was just blue skying in terms of putting to paper everything that was being said, then his job was to ORALLY shoot each of them down, not a blueprint for overthrow. :lol: very convenient!
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
Frater I*I
Verified: ✅Verified Devilish Hyena

Post by Frater I*I »

noblepa wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 12:36 pm
They are probably segregated because the drug dealers, murderers and rapists didn't want anything to do with them.
Even evil has standards...
"He sewed his eyes shut because he is afraid to see, He tries to tell me what I put inside of me
He's got the answers to ease my curiosity, He dreamed a god up and called it Christianity"

Trent Reznor
Maybenaut
Verified: ✅✅

Post by Maybenaut »

SlimSloSlider wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 2:32 pm
Maybenaut wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 1:25 pm
oh, I don’t disagree. I was just thinking of how the British government treated the IRA as political prisoners. They kept them segregated, didn’t make them wear prison garb, etc. Until Margaret Thatcher showed up and changed all that. Treating them like criminals was actually one of the things that started bringing them to the negotiating table. I know it’s not the same situation, but it was just a thought that I had.
That’s largely inaccurate.
Thatcher fomented the hunger strikes and escalation.
She exacerbated things.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/HM_Prison_Maze

Negotiations became probable and eventually possible as demographics forced the Protestant’s hands in the North and as the Republic, increasingly prosperous, became, by a vast majority, wholly uninterested in integrating the North, an economic basketcase. Adams and his fellow thugs, pragmatists, saw possibilities through regular politics and an escape from an unwinnable war.
Yeah, OK. I’m just remembering things from the hazy days of my youth (and what I learned from American media back then). I’ll shut up now. :bag:
"Hey! We left this England place because it was bogus, and if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too!" -- Thomas Jefferson
RVInit

Post by RVInit »

Why are the judges accepting these plea deals? Are they required to do that? Those judges should be saying no way, these people engaged in sedition and should be charged accordingly.
"It actually doesn't take much to be considered a difficult woman. That's why there are so many of us."

--Jane Goodall
bob

Post by bob »

RVInit wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 4:51 pm Why are the judges accepting these plea deals? Are they required to do that?
No.

But rejecting a plea agreement isn't "easy," both from practical and political perspectives.
Those judges should be saying no way, these people engaged in sedition and should be charged accordingly.
That would likely be a bridge too far, as prosecutors have wide discretion whether and how to charge.

But, in theory, a federal court could assign an independent prosecutor if there's the belief the DOJ is pulling punches.
Image ImageImage
RVInit

Post by RVInit »

Bob, you are so great about answering us non-lawyer type questions. Thank you so much! :bighug:

Also the rest of the lawyers are appreciated too, as you all often give us the benefit of your insight, too. Thanks much to all of you!
"It actually doesn't take much to be considered a difficult woman. That's why there are so many of us."

--Jane Goodall
Gregg

Post by Gregg »

bill_g wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 8:55 am Two words: solitary confinement.

Two more: steel box.

And: In desert.
Dry Tortuga

I'm just sayin... :smoking:
Supreme Commander, Imperial Illuminati Air Force
:dog:

You don't have to consent, but I'm gonna tase you anyway.
Gregg

Post by Gregg »

noblepa wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 12:36 pm
:snippity:
Maybe we should call them "Group W" and give them a separate bench to sit on.

They are probably segregated because the drug dealers, murderers and rapists didn't want anything to do with them.
Arlo Guthrie Libelz, which we don't take lightly. Its just about as bad as saying something bad about Douglas Adams. :fingerwag: :towel:

Supreme Commander, Imperial Illuminati Air Force
:dog:

You don't have to consent, but I'm gonna tase you anyway.
Whatever4

Post by Whatever4 »

Gregg wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 2:26 am

Dry Tortuga

I'm just sayin... :smoking:
All those empty containers with nowhere to put them causing supply chain issues… (see new thread in Economy)
Optimism is a good characteristic, but if carried to an excess, it becomes foolishness.
—Theodore Roosevelt
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

Don't forget those secret tunnels under Walmart ;)
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

Fuck the DOJ.

Kendra

Post by Kendra »

Another day, another sentencing hearing.

!!! Gruppo is cooperating with the US House Select Jan6 Committee too.. per attorney
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

https://www.politico.com/news/2021/10/2 ... ion-517585
Michael Riley, the Capitol Police officer charged with helping a Jan. 6 rioter attempt to evade the FBI, has resigned from the force, ending his 26-year tenure as he prepares to fight the case against him.

Riley, who was suspended after federal prosecutors indicted him earlier this month, allegedly urged a participant in the Capitol breach — just days after the attack — to delete incriminating social media posts. He later deleted his own messages with the alleged rioter, who was arrested in January, about two weeks after Jan. 6.
neeneko

Post by neeneko »

p0rtia wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 10:41 am Fuck the DOJ.
I wonder how much of that is coming from the sheer volume of cases and difficulty coordinating all the people working on them.
bob

Post by bob »

Image ImageImage
noblepa

Post by noblepa »

bob wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 1:34 pm
And, if like some of the other insurrectionists who have already been sentenced, they are given probation, the terms should specify that they must report, in person, to a probation officer in DC, once a month. After all, they could report by phone from anywhere in the world.

Unfortunately, I suspect that the Feds have corrections officers located everywhere, and they can be assigned to one in Florida.
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

FBI has arrested Jia Liu of New York in US Capitol breach case. Feds allege he climbed thru broken window on Jan 6 while wearing US flag hood

Court docs say Liu is assigned to the 6th Communication Battalion, US Marine Forces Reserve.
Maybenaut
Verified: ✅✅

Post by Maybenaut »

Kendra wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 4:49 pm
FBI has arrested Jia Liu of New York in US Capitol breach case. Feds allege he climbed thru broken window on Jan 6 while wearing US flag hood

Court docs say Liu is assigned to the 6th Communication Battalion, US Marine Forces Reserve.
He’ll likely get booted from the reserves, but they probably don’t have any jurisdiction over him unless he was in an active status at the time. Which seems unlikely.
"Hey! We left this England place because it was bogus, and if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too!" -- Thomas Jefferson
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

A comment

Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

What are the chances Eastman cooperates?*

https://www.washingtonpost.com/investig ... story.html
During Jan. 6 riot, Trump attorney told Pence team the vice president’s inaction caused attack on Capitol

As Vice President Mike Pence hid from a marauding mob during the Jan. 6 invasion of the Capitol, an attorney for President Donald Trump emailed a top Pence aide to say that Pence had caused the violence by refusing to block certification of Trump’s election loss.

The attorney, John C. Eastman, also continued to press for Pence to act even after Trump’s supporters had trampled through the Capitol — an attack the Pence aide, Greg Jacob, had described as a “siege” in their email exchange.

“The ‘siege’ is because YOU and your boss did not do what was necessary to allow this to be aired in a public way so that the American people can see for themselves what happened,” Eastman wrote to Jacob, referring to Trump’s claims of voter fraud.
► Show Spoiler
ImageImageImage x5
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

Very long but very thorough timeline of January 6.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics ... urrection/
Before During After
BLOODSHED
For 187 harrowing minutes, the president watched his
supporters attack the Capitol — and resisted pleas to stop them.
ImageImageImage x5
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

WP seems to be committed to putting the case together, since the DOJ apparently can't be bothered*.

Rocking it.

*Okay, I know that various in the know people took Garland's words last week to 100 percent imply that they are on the case and after the top dogs and TFG himself, and I hope it's true. But still--this has been an appalling summer and fall for democracy. Accent on the "fall."
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

also part of WaPo's J6 investigation
RED FLAGS - As Trump propelled his supporters to Washington, law enforcement agencies failed to heed mounting warnings about violence on Jan. 6.
Oct. 31, 2021

As the head of intelligence at D.C.'s homeland security office, Harvin led a team that spotted warnings that extremists planned to descend on the Capitol and disrupt the electoral count.

The head of intelligence at D.C.’s homeland security office was growing desperate. For days, Donell Harvin and his team had spotted increasing signs that supporters of President Donald Trump were planning violence when Congress met to formalize the electoral college vote, but federal law enforcement agencies did not seem to share his sense of urgency. On Saturday, Jan. 2, he picked up the phone and called his counterpart in San Francisco, waking Mike Sena before dawn.

Sena listened with alarm. The Northern California intelligence office he commanded had also been inundated with political threats flagged by social media companies, several involving plans to disrupt the joint session or hurt lawmakers on Jan. 6.

He organized an unusual call for all of the nation’s regional homeland security offices — known as fusion centers — to find out what others were seeing. Sena expected a couple dozen people to get on the line that Monday. But then the number of callers hit 100. Then 200. Then nearly 300. Officials from nearly all 80 regions, from New York to Guam, logged on.

In the 20 years since the country had created fusion centers in response to the attacks of Sept. 11, 2001, Sena couldn’t remember a moment like this. For the first time, from coast to coast, the centers were blinking red. The hour, date and location of concern was the same: 1 p.m., the U.S. Capitol, Jan. 6.

Harvin asked his counterparts to share what they were seeing. Within minutes, an avalanche of new tips began streaming in. Self-styled militias and other extremist groups in the Northeast were circulating radio frequencies to use near the Capitol. In the Midwest, men with violent criminal histories were discussing plans to travel to Washington with weapons.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics ... table-main
sad-cafe

Post by sad-cafe »

Pence was right in not getting into a car during this terrorist attack

Return to “The January 6 Insurrection, including Criminal Cases”