Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

What are you watching?

Slim Cognito
Verified:

Re: What are you watching?

Post by Slim Cognito »

Here's the twitter link to Wilson's Biden. BTW, Weekend Update was lol funny. Also, spot-on.

Pup Dennis in training to be a guide dog & given to a deserving vet. Thx! ImageImageImage x4
bob

Post by bob »

Slim Cognito wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 8:50 am SNL premiered last night. Owen Wilson does a damn fine Biden.
That wasn't Wilson. (Hosts aren't in the cold open.) Biden was played by newcomer James Johnson.

Johnson is a talented impersonator.
Image ImageImage
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

I was impressed.
Pup Dennis in training to be a guide dog & given to a deserving vet. Thx! ImageImageImage x4
Luke
Location: @orly_licious With Pete Buttigieg and the other "open and defiant homosexuals" --Bryan Fischer AFA

Post by Luke »

With the Facebook outage today, putting this in Spoiler if you have NOT seen Squid Game on Netflix. When you have, it's really funny.

► Show Spoiler

The English dubbing is pretty poor, we went back to the original Korean with subtitles.
Lt Root Beer of the Mighty 699th. Fogbow 💙s titular Mama June in Fogbow's Favourite Show™ Mama June: From Not To Hot! Fogbow's Theme Song™ Edith Massey's "I Got The Evidence!" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5jDHZd0JAg
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Post by bill_g »

Don't you hate it when the stripper turns into a vampire?

Dusk Till Dawn: The Series

On Netflix.

It's Halloween time. Relish in the classic horror genres before leaping into Christmas.
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Post by neonzx »

bill_g wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 9:03 am Don't you hate it when the stripper turns into a vampire?

On Netflix.

It's Halloween time. Relish in the classic horror genres before leaping into Christmas.
The original film, it turns into a vampire movie half way through.

Quentin Tarantino is genius. :lol:

bill_g

Post by bill_g »

neonzx wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 10:18 am

h ttps://m.youtube.com/watch?v=j1-1dUbBjgE
The first season of the series riffs off the movie perfectly.
neonzx

Post by neonzx »

bill_g wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 10:36 am

Ok, to Netflix I will now go...
bill_g

Post by bill_g »

neonzx wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 10:44 am

Enjoy. Season 1 is essentially an eight hour version of the movie.
neonzx

Post by neonzx »

bill_g wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 10:58 am Enjoy. Season 1 is essentially an eight hour version of the movie.
Lmao. There are so many references to other Tarantino films. I just am watching Ep 3 and there is a Big Kuhuna Burger place. :lol:
bill_g

Post by bill_g »

neonzx wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 3:58 pm
bill_g wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 10:58 am Enjoy. Season 1 is essentially an eight hour version of the movie.
Lmao. There are so many references to other Tarantino films. I just am watching Ep 3 and there is a Big Kuhuna Burger place. :lol:
Easter eggs abound.
LM K
Occupation: Professor Shrinky Lady, brainwashing young adults daily!

Post by LM K »

Atypical on Netflix. It's a dramedy.

It's about a high school kid with autism. Keir Gilchrist (United States of Tara) is excellent as Sam.

The series begins as Sam decides it time for him to start dating. Gilchrist did his research on autism. I'm impressed with his acting.

Jennifer Jason Leigh plays the overprotective mom trying to give her son more independence. Leigh is really good in the show. She's also a series producer.

Michael Rapaport plays dad.

Sam loves penguins. I love his love for penguins.
"The jungle is no place for a cellist."
From "Take the Money and Run"
neonzx

Post by neonzx »

bill_g wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 5:12 pm
neonzx wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 3:58 pm
Easter eggs abound.
There best be a "titty twister" bar or I am going to be sorely disappointed 😂
keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

Post by keith »

bill_g wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 9:03 am Don't you hate it when the stripper turns into a vampire?

On Netflix.

It is still my unvarnished opinion thatthe most egregious snub in the history of cinema is that the snake never got an Oscar for is performance.
Has everybody heard about the bird?
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

Comfort TV, The Ghost and Mrs. Muir. Damn, I love that movie and never tire of it.
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Post by northland10 »

I am not watching it yet, because it does not yet exist, but apparently Warner Brothers and J. Michael Straczynski (JMS) are in process of creating a Babylon 5 reboot.

https://www.theverge.com/2021/9/27/2269 ... ros-the-cw

In the article, to give some idea of where he is going, JMS says:
J. Michael Straczynski wrote:To answer all the questions, yes, it’s true, Babylon 5 is in active development as a series for the CW. We have some serious fans over at the network, and they’re eager to see this show happen. I’m hip deep into writing the pilot now, and will be running the series upon pickup. The network understands the uniqueness of Babylon 5 and is giving me a great deal of latitude with the storytelling.

As noted in the announcement, this is a reboot from the ground up rather than a continuation, for several reasons. Heraclitus wrote “You cannot step in the same river twice, for the river has changed, and you have changed.” In the years since B5, I’ve done a ton of other TV shows and movies, adding an equal number of tools to my toolbox, all of which I can bring to bear on one singular question: if I were creating Babylon 5 today, for the first time, knowing what I now know as a writer, what would it look like? How would it use all the storytelling tools and technological resources available in 2021 that were not on hand then?

How can it be used to reflect the world in which we live, and the questions we are asking and confronting every day? Fans regularly point out how prescient the show was and is of our current world; it would be fun to take a shot at looking further down the road. So we will not be retelling the same story in the same way because of what Heraclitus said about the river. There would be no fun and no surprises. Better to go the way of Westworld or Battlestar Galactica where you take the original elements that are evergreens and put them in a blender with a ton of new, challenging ideas, to create something fresh yet familiar. To those asking why not just do a continuation, for a network series like this, it can’t be done because over half our cast are still stubbornly on the other side of the Rim.
And yes, he is very limited in using any past characters since so many have passed beyond the great rim into that place between galaxies where no shadows fall (Michael Garibaldi - Jerry Doyle, Dr. Franklin - Richard Biggs, Commander Sinclare/Valen - Michael O'Hare, GKar - Andreas Katsulas, Delenn - Mira Furlan, Vir - Stephen Furst, and Zack Allen - Jeff Conaway).
101010 :towel:
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

I love “The Ghost and Mrs. Muir” too. Natalie Wood plays the young daughter. George Sanders is his unctuous self.
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

Speaking of bringing things back, Dexter is returning to Showtime in the next few weeks. I was a fan, but I was also glad to see the end of it. I'm debating.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

Just finished the first episode of The Problem with Jon Stewart on Apple TV. I don’t know whether to cry or… Fuck it, I’m going to cry. The first episode was about the burn pits and the horrific diseases our returning service members are suffering from it. And the VA/DOD shrugging their shoulders and saying, we don’t know what caused your cancer/respiratory illness/ulcerative colitis… Just because you were all sleeping 50 feet from a burn pit doesn’t prove anything.

Stewart is attacking this with the same anger he exhibited advocating for the 911 first responders. Despite a few laughs here and there, it is not a comedy so don’t expect to feel good afterwards.

Beau Biden isn’t mentioned, they intentionally try to stay way from blaming this party or that, but I believe I heard burn pits could have caused his brain cancer.
LM K
Occupation: Professor Shrinky Lady, brainwashing young adults daily!

Post by LM K »

AndyinPA wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 9:54 pm Speaking of bringing things back, Dexter is returning to Showtime in the next few weeks. I was a fan, but I was also glad to see the end of it. I'm debating.
Dexter: New Blood will be a limited return with 10 episodes. The first episode airs on Nov 7.
"The jungle is no place for a cellist."
From "Take the Money and Run"
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

LM K wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 10:32 pm
AndyinPA wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 9:54 pm Speaking of bringing things back, Dexter is returning to Showtime in the next few weeks. I was a fan, but I was also glad to see the end of it. I'm debating.
Dexter: New Blood will be a limited return with 10 episodes. The first episode airs on Nov 7.
Limited might do it. :thumbsup:
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
neonzx

Post by neonzx »

bill_g wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 10:58 am
neonzx wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 10:44 am

Enjoy. Season 1 is essentially an eight hour version of the movie.
I did season 1, which is quite good. Then season 2 turns into crap... It's like the writers are not even trying. I gave up. :shrug:
bill_g

Post by bill_g »

neonzx wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 4:57 am I did season 1, which is quite good. Then season 2 turns into crap... It's like the writers are not even trying. I gave up. :shrug:
They continue to riff off the original movie series, and you know how Tarantino likes his homages to B movies. Cheese, sleeze, drama, and over-acting are all part of it. In a 110 minute movie, you can get away with it. But, during a 480 minute ten episode streaming TV binge, it can be wearing.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

I watched Midnight Mass a few weeks ago, which got me into searching for Mike Flanagan-produced/directed movies. I watched Haunting of Bly Manor last year. So my search has taken me into re-watching The Haunting of Hill House, Hush, Doctor Sleep, and last night Ouija: Original of Evil. I didn't realize he had produced that, but it was on in the background yesterday, and I was thinking I wonder if that's his, and it was. So I watched it again later in the evening. Most of these have been on Netflix, but some are on Premium Demand. It's really not that hard to pick out his stuff as, aside from the atmosphere, he uses the same actors repeatedly. Next up: Gerald's Game. That's a Stephen King novel that I read, but I've never seen the movie.

Halloween's coming, guys! I'm always up for a good horror film (or book), but here's the perfect excuse. :biggrin:
bob

Post by bob »

"Discovery Now," a series of fake documentaries from Fred Armisen, Bill Hader, and other SNL alums. Each episode takes aim at a specific "famous" documentary/documentarian.

They are meant to be funny, but not rip-roaringly so, like Spinal Tap; more like gentle-poking homages.
Image ImageImage

Return to “U.S. Culture and Media”