Kyle Rittenhouse, previous owner of a Smith & Wesson M&P15

These people are weird, but we like to find out what weird people are doing and thinking. It's a hobby.
RVInit

Re: Kyle Rittenhouse, previous owner of a Smith & Wesson M&P15

Post by RVInit »

I sure hope the little asswipe is found guilty, otherwise he will likely find himself in another situation where he will convince himself that pointing and shooting is his only option against someone else who is packing a dangerous and oh so scary plastic bag.
There's a lot of things that need to change. One specifically? Police brutality.
--Colin Kaepernick
Gregg

Post by Gregg »

RVInit wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 12:15 am I sure hope the little asswipe is found guilty, otherwise he will likely find himself in another situation where he will convince himself that pointing and shooting is his only option against someone else who is packing a dangerous and oh so scary plastic bag.
Pfft, he'll be a big RWNJ Celebrity with regular appearances on Fox News and OAN up until he's elected to Congress. From Florida where he's gonna move when he's acquitted. To move into an illicit love nest with Laura Loomer.

I know, I just ruined a lot of people's breakfast. :sick:
Supreme Commander, Imperial Illuminati Air Force
:dog:

You don't have to consent, but I'm gonna tase you anyway.
Frater I*I
Verified: ✅Verified Devilish Hyena

Post by Frater I*I »

Gregg wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 1:05 am To move into an illicit love nest with Laura Loomer.
That was beyond the limits of good taste sir.... :fingerwag:
"He sewed his eyes shut because he is afraid to see, He tries to tell me what I put inside of me
He's got the answers to ease my curiosity, He dreamed a god up and called it Christianity"

Trent Reznor
Gregg

Post by Gregg »

Frater I*I wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 1:12 pm
Gregg wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 1:05 am To move into an illicit love nest with Laura Loomer.
That was beyond the limits of good taste sir.... :fingerwag:
Okay, I went too far. Let Webhick feed to the interns....

(oh, wrong site, who is in charge of torturing interns here?)

raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

Hunting laws allowed Kyle Rittenhouse to carry weapon during fatal shootings in Wisconsin, lawyers say
Prosecutor Thomas Binger dismissed the defense argument, saying Rittenhouse's attorneys should tell a jury he was "hunting on the streets" in Kenosha.

Attorneys for Kyle Rittenhouse, who is charged with fatally shooting two people during a protest in Wisconsin last year, argued that hunting laws allowed him to carry the assault-style weapon used during the shootings.

Wisconsin law prohibits anyone under age 18 from being armed, but Rittenhouse’s attorneys argued that state laws only forbid minors to carry short-barreled rifles and shotguns. The other prohibitions pertaining to children fall under hunting laws, which say children under age 12 can’t hunt with guns, Rittenhouse’s attorneys said at a hearing Tuesday.

Rittenhouse, of Antioch, Illinois, was 17 on Aug. 25, 2020, when he fatally shot two men and wounded another man while carrying an AR-15-style semiautomatic rifle at a protest prompted by a police shooting of a Black man, prosecutors have said.

“There appears to be an exception for 17-year-olds,” defense attorney Corey Chirafisi said, the Chicago Tribune reported.

Assistant District Attorney Thomas Binger responded that if the defense wants to tell a jury that Rittenhouse was only hunting, it should do so.

“They can submit evidence that the defendant had a certificate to hunt and he was engaged in legal hunting on the streets of Kenosha that night,”
Binger said, according to the newspaper.
:snippity:
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/hu ... s-n1280950
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
Gregg

Post by Gregg »

I don't think its legal to hunt "colored folk" anymore. Not even in Georgia, certainly not in Wisconsin.

Snark aside, if I was the prosecutor I think I'd love for him to claim he was hunting. I have lots of curious questions about what you were hunting for and why you thought you'd find it where you were at.

There has been some evidence that the ""why" in this case is "to protect businesses from rioters" so that would imply, if you say you were hunting, that you went to hunt rioters. Right?

neeneko

Post by neeneko »

Gregg wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 4:50 pm Snark aside, if I was the prosecutor I think I'd love for him to claim he was hunting. I have lots of curious questions about what you were hunting for and why you thought you'd find it where you were at.
Yeah.. this is really a case of where it might technically be a defense, but the optics are so bad that it wouldn't be worth trying.
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

Last I checked, Deer kind of avoid large protests of people.
Hic sunt dracones
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

In the Washington Post video posted by someone up thread Written house is walking around with his AR15 in a sling and on his hip is a medical bag. He is asking if anyone needs medical assistance. Whut????? That is some cognitive dissonance. :confuzzled:
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
Frater I*I
Verified: ✅Verified Devilish Hyena

Post by Frater I*I »

Gregg wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 4:50 pm I don't think its legal to hunt "colored folk" anymore. Not even in Georgia, certainly not in Wisconsin.

Snark aside, if I was the prosecutor I think I'd love for him to claim he was hunting. I have lots of curious questions about what you were hunting for and why you thought you'd find it where you were at.

There has been some evidence that the ""why" in this case is "to protect businesses from rioters" so that would imply, if you say you were hunting, that you went to hunt rioters. Right?
It was wabbit season....
"He sewed his eyes shut because he is afraid to see, He tries to tell me what I put inside of me
He's got the answers to ease my curiosity, He dreamed a god up and called it Christianity"

Trent Reznor
Estiveo
Verified:

Post by Estiveo »

Frater I*I wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 7:00 pmIt was wabbit season....
Duck season...
Image Image Image Image
Dave from down under

Post by Dave from down under »

“Purge” day….
Maybenaut
Verified: ✅✅

Post by Maybenaut »

Estiveo wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 8:12 pm
Duck season...
Off Topic
► Show Spoiler
"Hey! We left this England place because it was bogus, and if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too!" -- Thomas Jefferson
Estiveo
Verified:

Post by Estiveo »

Maybenaut wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 10:48 pm
Estiveo wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 8:12 pm
Duck season...
Off Topic
► Show Spoiler
Off Topic
► Show Spoiler
Image Image Image Image
andersweinstein

Post by andersweinstein »

raison de arizona wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 1:48 pm
Hunting laws allowed Kyle Rittenhouse to carry weapon during fatal shootings in Wisconsin, lawyers say
Prosecutor Thomas Binger dismissed the defense argument, saying Rittenhouse's attorneys should tell a jury he was "hunting on the streets" in Kenosha.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/hu ... s-n1280950
This is a very stupid misrepresentation of the defense argument by NBC News (and ADA Binger). No one should rely on it.

In fact, the defense argument is completely the opposite: that the statutory language properly construed ONLY bars 16 and 17 year olds from possessing long-barreled rifles if they are in violation of certain hunting regulations. So, they argue, the ban does not apply to Rittenhouse precisely because he was NOT hunting at the time he possessed.

If you go to the language of the statute, you'll find the exception clause 960.48(3)(c) is EXTREMELY convoluted. This raises a very messy question of statutory interpretation. I think the defense interpretation is viable, particularly if you follow the principle that ambiguous statutes should be interpreted in a light most favorable to the defendant.

On the other hand, I concede Chirafisi did a very weak job of presenting it at the pretrial hearing on motion to dismiss. Since this is only a misdemeanor charge for Rittenhouse, it is understandable that his team might not put a whole lot of effort in it. But the issue is MUCH more consequential for Dominick Black who faces felony charge of providing the weapon to a minor which was discharged causing a death, under identical statutory language. I believe that carries 6 years, and prosecution is trying to charge him with two counts because of the two deaths. (Whether the law supports multiple counts this way is also disputed).
andersweinstein

Tiredretiredlawyer wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 6:55 pm In the Washington Post video posted by someone up thread Written house is walking around with his AR15 in a sling and on his hip is a medical bag. He is asking if anyone needs medical assistance. Whut????? That is some cognitive dissonance. :confuzzled:
It seems to have been Rittenhouse's fantasy to apply his lifeguard training to be a kind of combat medic, providing first aid to injured protestors. Video shows him roaming the immediate area around the car lot he was guarding repeatedly chanting "anyone need medical?". Protestors regarded him warily but one injured woman is seen starting to take him up on his offer -- though I believe she is ultimately carried off on the back of another protestor.

In general Rittenhouse does not appear to have been hostile to the protestors.
bob

Post by bob »

andersweinstein wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 11:58 pmThis is a very stupid misrepresentation of the defense argument by NBC News (and ADA Binger). No one should rely on it.
Chicago Tribune: Kyle Rittenhouse attorneys argue Wisconsin hunting laws allowed him to carry the gun he used to kill two people and injure a third.

Pretty impressive for both the Tribune and AP to make the same "stupid misrepresentation" about a "weak" argument.
andersweinstein wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 12:11 amIn general Rittenhouse does not appear to have been hostile to the protestors.
Other than the murders, sure.
Image ImageImage
keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

Post by keith »

Gregg wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 4:50 pm I don't think its legal to hunt "colored folk" anymore. Not even in Georgia, certainly not in Wisconsin.

Does Wisconsin issue tags for Jews (circumstantial conclusion based on surnames only)? Did he forget to put the tags in the ears?
Has everybody heard about the bird?
neeneko

Post by neeneko »

andersweinstein wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 11:58 pm This is a very stupid misrepresentation of the defense argument by NBC News (and ADA Binger). No one should rely on it.
Are you insinuating that the press did not do an adequate job researching the underlying argument and instead went with something sensioantaonal which would bring in more ad dollars? *gasp*
andersweinstein

neeneko wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 7:35 am
andersweinstein wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 11:58 pm This is a very stupid misrepresentation of the defense argument by NBC News (and ADA Binger). No one should rely on it.
Are you insinuating that the press did not do an adequate job researching the underlying argument and instead went with something sensioantaonal which would bring in more ad dollars? *gasp*
Yes, not at all surprising. You really have to get into the weeds of a very confusing clause in the statute to understand what is being argued. Even apart from sensationalist motivations, a journalistic piece is not suitable for doing that.

Still, I think this earlier piece on Dominick Black's motion did a fair job of summarising the defense argument.
Cotton argues that there's also a requirement to trigger the general ban on minors with guns — that they must be in violation of rules for young hunters. One law applies to how and when children under 16 may possess firearms while hunting. Another requires young hunters to obtain a hunter safety education certificate.

The first could not apply because Rittenhouse was 17, Cotton argues, and the second doesn't apply because Rittenhouse wasn't hunting, and therefore wasn't in violation of doing so without a safety education certification.

https://www.jsonline.com/story/news/cri ... 426343002/
That doesn't make clear that this exception would be for long-barreled rifles only, not handguns. On the defense reading, the exception clause would be better described as a "rifle exception" rather than a "hunting exception". But apart from that, it is accurate.
Gregg

Post by Gregg »

keith wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 1:01 am

Does Wisconsin issue tags for Jews (circumstantial conclusion based on surnames only)? Did he forget to put the tags in the ears?
Tags issued from October1st to November 15, limit 3.

As for the lawyerin' about what the hunting thing does or does not mean or how that applies or don't, IANAL and at trial the judge will have to explain that to the jury, but if I was on the jury, no matter how you try to explain it away, in my mind you've planted the idea that this guy got his gun and went hunting...for people. If it is even brought up, that's gonna be a tough thing to shake away from people's minds.

Azastan
Verified:

Post by Azastan »

Gregg wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 1:53 pm

As for the lawyerin' about what the hunting thing does or does not mean or how that applies or don't, IANAL and at trial the judge will have to explain that to the jury, but if I was on the jury, no matter how you try to explain it away, in my mind you've planted the idea that this guy got his gun and went hunting...for people. If it is even brought up, that's gonna be a tough thing to shake away from people's minds.
Yes, I'm not really sure I'd want to introduce that 'defense' and get it stuck in the minds of the jurors that Kyle was out there 'hunting', and so legally allowed to carry a gun at a protest.
Luke
Location: @orly_licious With Pete Buttigieg and the other "open and defiant homosexuals" --Bryan Fischer AFA

Post by Luke »

That wiener dog's got a gun!

Lt Root Beer of the Mighty 699th. Fogbow 💙s titular Mama June in Fogbow's Favourite Show™ Mama June: From Not To Hot! Fogbow's Theme Song™ Edith Massey's "I Got The Evidence!" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5jDHZd0JAg
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

Gregg wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 1:53 pm
keith wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 1:01 am

Tags issued from October1st to November 15, limit 3.

Assuming Anders is correct about the legalities for the sake of argument, it would seem that they are trading a defense to the possession charges (via hunting) for strengthening support for the murder charges. Which seems like a crappy trade. :shrug:
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
Gregg

Post by Gregg »

Are we sure GIL isn't helping?

Return to “Other weirdos”