Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

Derek Chauvin trial: The murder of George Floyd

Atticus Finch

Re: Derek Chauvin trial: The murder of George Floyd

Post by Atticus Finch »

I understand that his wife divorce him. Isn't she entitled to a portion of his retirement?
You don't need religion to have morals. If you can't determine right from wrong then you lack empathy, not religion.
bob

Post by bob »

Atticus Finch wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 2:06 pm I understand that his wife divorce him. Isn't she entitled to a portion of his retirement?
Probably.

Some states award the former spouse an interest in the retirement account for gains accrued during the marriage. And there are methods for former spouses to protect their interests.

But states' laws are different, so "it depends." And often the spouse with the retirement account will buy out the former spouse (to prevent a nonconsensual early withdrawal).

In other words, it may be all his, notwithstanding the divorce.
Image ImageImage
LM K
Occupation: Professor Shrinky Lady, brainwashing young adults daily!

Post by LM K »

Chauvin doesn't want to cash out his retirement accts because he thinks he can have an actual life after he's released. Which is possible.

How much can Chauvin raise via donations for a private attorney?
"The jungle is no place for a cellist."
From "Take the Money and Run"
RVInit

Post by RVInit »

I wonder if he truly has any regrets. I guess as long as you are looking at an appeal you can't afford to let reality sink in and actually take responsibility, even if you are only keeping those thoughts to yourself. It's hard to have a whole lot of compassion for him, given the way he smirked while everyone was telling him he his basically killing George Floyd. I thought the video evidence taken by the young lady (I forget her name and way too tired to look it up, my apologies) was damning, but I watched quite a bit of the video of the trial and day three featured the police cams. Wow. Lots of additional evidence was gleaned about what Chauvin was doing with his right hand outside of the view of the bystanders. He was torturing George Floyd, pulling his fingers back as well as causing his wrist to press into the handcuffs. Chauvin's actions were pure evil and that isn't a word I typically use. He is a thug through and through.
There's a lot of things that need to change. One specifically? Police brutality.
--Colin Kaepernick
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

He regrets he's in prison.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

:winner:
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
humblescribe
Verified:

Post by humblescribe »

I thought the trial judge bent over backwards to give him a fair trial. Of course, I do not know all the gory details with pre-trial litigation and any potential errors within the trial itself.

I'm wondering just what this particular appeal can raise that would have enough meat on the bone for the appellate justices to (1) grant an appeal and (2) decide for the defendant and toss aside the verdict.

I guess in Minnesota pension money is not off limits for the determination of indigence. Gonna be too bad that ole Derek is gonna have to take out some of his pension to pay for his appeal.

Derek, buddy--old pal--here is some tax advice: Under the Trumpian Tax Act of 2017, single taxpayers do not have a filing requirement if their gross income for 2021 is less than $12,400 (essentially the standard deduction for single taxpayers.) Since you are under 59 1/2 years of age, there is usually a penalty for early distributions of your qualified pension plan funds. However, there is a nifty exception for you youngsters: Substantially equal periodic payments! That's right! Cut a deal with the counsel of your choice and pay them on the installment method. As long as your annual distributions are less than $12,400 and substantially equal, you avoid both income tax and the 10% penalty.

(Although you'll still have to file the 5329 to avoid the presumptive penalty due to your age.)
"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others whenever they go." O. Wilde
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

From CNN adverts/promos, Don Lemon has an interview airing tonight with several jurors from Chauvin's trial.
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
filly

Post by filly »

Joyce Vance suggests he may be doing this to get transferred to a federal prison, which she says many prisoners prefer.
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

I would guess he is doing it to get himself out of the limelight and Media circles as fast as possible.
Hic sunt dracones
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Post by neonzx »

Is his divorce finalized?
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Post by northland10 »

filly wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 5:14 pm Joyce Vance suggests he may be doing this to get transferred to a federal prison, which she says many prisoners prefer.
Given his history as a police officer and his actions leading to incarceration, I could understand why he might prefer federal prison over state prison.
101010 :towel:
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crime/de ... smsnnews11
Derek Chauvin moved to federal prison in Arizona
MINNEAPOLIS -- The ex-police officer who killed George Floyd is now in federal custody in Arizona.

Derek Chauvin is serving more than 20 years for the murder and for violating Floyd's civil rights.

A plea deal allows him to serve his sentence in a federal prison, which is considered safer for a former officer.
You can visit him, raison! :biggrin:
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
DrIrvingFinegarten

Post by DrIrvingFinegarten »

I guess the lawsuit isn’t going to go anywhere because you can’t slander the dead, but why has the lie that George Floyd od’d on Fentanyl gained so much traction even after Chauvin was convicted of murder?
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

I actually looked up the Coroners report a few weeks ago as I kept hearing this. I'm not used to reading these things but it looked to me that the amount in Floyds blood was 10 times less than the minimum dose that could be lethal.

Kanya West needs an intervention and someone to shove a rag in his mouth. The guy has mental health issues but we are a Society where famous crazy people get their insane yammering broadcast all over the world.
Hic sunt dracones
DrIrvingFinegarten

Suranis wrote: Wed Oct 19, 2022 3:33 am I actually looked up the Coroners report a few weeks ago as I kept hearing this. I'm not used to reading these things but it looked to me that the amount in Floyds blood was 10 times less than the minimum dose that could be lethal.

Kanya West needs an intervention and someone to shove a rag in his mouth. The guy has mental health issues but we are a Society where famous crazy people get their insane yammering broadcast all over the world.

Interesting. The game of right wing telephone has it as 5-10 times enough to kill him.
DrIrvingFinegarten

How do I respond to something like this?
If Chauvin had detained someone w/ his knee that didn’t have meth & fentanyl in their system, they wouldn’t have died. Our ability to breathe is comprised in that position but not much. He was in that position bc he asked, & bc he was resisting the Cops.
Did you see the report that showed how much meth & fentanyl he had in his system? When was the last time you had a man put his body weight on your lower neck/shoulders? It doesn’t restrict your breathing, which is why officers are trained to detain that wa
Listen up- watch the video of George Floyd when he tragically passed & you’ll see him saying he couldn’t breathe throughout the ordeal. The only reason he ended up on the ground is bc he asked to be on the ground.
Dave from down under

Post by Dave from down under »

Tell them that “their attempts to deny reality and normalise murder shows their depravity to everyone.”
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

DrIrvingFinegarten wrote: Wed Oct 19, 2022 9:32 pm How do I respond to something like this?
You tell them that a Jury looked at ALL the evidence, not just selected chunks of it that have been packaged for idiots. And looking at that they sent the guy down.

Anyway seems I misread the autopsy. His blood concentrations were 11 NG/ML. However there seems to be 2 autopsy reports out there and the other one has the blood concentration at 0.11Mg/ML so that's the one I probably saw.

https://lawandcrime.com/live-trials/liv ... d-it-here/

According to this website, that is below the lethal dosages typically seen for Fentanyl alone. Problem, is that it really is a powerful drug and can be legal in small quantities when multiple drugs are involved.

Operations use Fentanyl as an anesthesia at proportions greater that what Floyd had.

https://www.emcdda.europa.eu/publicatio ... entanyl_en
The recommended serum concentration for analgesia is 1–2 ng/ml and for anaesthesia it is 10–20 ng/ml. Blood concentrations of approximately 7 ng/ml or greater have been associated with fatalities where poly-substance use was involved. While fatalities have been reported after therapeutic use, many deaths have occurred as a result of the misuse of pharmaceutical products.

Using a method capable of measuring both of the 3-methylfentanyl isomers, a report on an epidemic of 3-methylfentanyl fatalities in Estonia (Ojanperä et al. (2008)) stated that the average combined concentration of the isomers was — at 1.9 ng/ml — approximately 10 times lower than the concentrations found in Canadian and US fatalities attributed solely to fentanyl (ranging from 17–25 ng/ml) (Hull et al. (2007), Martin et al. (2006).
Hic sunt dracones
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

ask them where Barack Obama was born.

It's the standard control
DrIrvingFinegarten

Their answer about the jury is this
The jury was massively pressured to choose the verdict that they did. The fact is he wouldn’t have died had he not had so much meth & fentanyl in his system. He was complaining of not being able to breathe from the start.
Maybe I should just take the loss on this one?
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

Pressured? By who? WHat is their evidence for it?

And the sign that they have jack shit is that they spent over half their response talking about something else. That shows they don't like that subject of the jury so they want to drag the discussion away from it. So basically ignore it when they start blathering about the fentalyl dose and breathing problems and just hammer on their Jury. And when they cant bring up any reason for believing the Jury was pressured, say that.

Thats pretty much the tax I use on facebook. If a guy keeps saying something or trying to change the subject or say I said something different, I simply repeat what I said before and keep the subject on what I want to talk about. In this case just hammer on the Jury, that it saw ALL the evidence, THEY saw the video, THEY saw that he would have been talking about breathing problems, THEY would have seen the doctors talking about what the pressure on his back would have done to him.

Jury jury jury. Ignore them talking about everything else, Jury. Demand proof of pressure on the Jury etc. If they want to talk about other shit, talk about the Jury. If they bring up links read the links becasue I guarantee you that they wont say what they are claiming the links say.

They want you spinning in circles by continuously bringing up other shit. Be a bacon slicer. Be solid and relentless. Its a lot less energy than spinning in circles and will piss them off as it puts the pressure on them
Hic sunt dracones
DrIrvingFinegarten

Then there was this from another guy
Again, the whole reason he was restrained is because he was resisting. They put him in the back of the car and he fought his way out the other side. He was resisting the entire time. You're either blind or extremely ignorant mixed with a lot of intellectual inferiority.
Dave from down under

Post by Dave from down under »

Ask he why he wants to excuse murder.

Because as posted above the jury didn't excuse murder.

Return to “Law and Lawsuits”