Merck's Molnupiravir - The First Covid-19 Pill (maybe)

We have ALL your misinformation, plus some TRUE FACTS and SCIENCE.
Lani

Merck's Molnupiravir - The First Covid-19 Pill (maybe)

Post by Lani »

WASHINGTON — Merck & Co. said Friday that its experimental Covid-19 pill reduced hospitalizations and deaths by half in people recently infected with the coronavirus and that it would soon ask health officials in the U.S. and around the world to authorize its use.

If cleared, Merck's drug would be the first pill shown to treat Covid-19, a potentially major advance in efforts to fight the pandemic. All Covid-19 therapies now authorized in the U.S. require an IV or injection.

Merck and its partner Ridgeback Biotherapeutics said early results showed patients who received the drug, called molnupiravir, within five days of Covid-19 symptoms had about half the rate of hospitalization and death as patients who received a dummy pill. The study tracked 775 adults with mild-to-moderate Covid-19 who were considered higher risk for severe disease due to health problems such as obesity, diabetes or heart disease.

:snippity:

Merck’s pill works by interfering with an enzyme the coronavirus uses to copy its genetic code and reproduce itself. It has shown similar activity against other viruses.
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/me ... 0-n1280536
Image You can't wait until life isn't hard anymore before you decide to be happy.
tek

Re: Merck's Molnupiravir - The First Covid-19 Pill (maybe)

Post by tek »

Merck’s pill works by interfering with an enzyme the coronavirus uses to copy its genetic code and reproduce itself.
It's a virus 'bortion pill!
My religion prevents me from taking it!
/s
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Post by bill_g »

tek wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 7:55 am
Merck’s pill works by interfering with an enzyme the coronavirus uses to copy its genetic code and reproduce itself.
It's a virus 'bortion pill!
My religion prevents me from taking it!
/s
Unfortunately, that is probably not far off the mark. I can hear that argument already.
bill_g

Post by bill_g »

Lani wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 7:43 am
WASHINGTON — Merck & Co. said Friday that its experimental Covid-19 pill reduced hospitalizations and deaths by half in people recently infected with the coronavirus and that it would soon ask health officials in the U.S. and around the world to authorize its use.
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/me ... 0-n1280536
Yea Science! Go Team!
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

Oh please, oh please, oh please...

Just had a thought. Doesn't Merck make ivermectin? If so, you know what happens next.
ImageImageImage x5
Sam the Centipede

Post by Sam the Centipede »

Excellent news! It's a neat mode of action, rather like a cat walking across a keyboard when the virus is replicating its RNA.

I read up a little about it. To avoid sending people to sleep inadvertantly, my off-the-cuff lay synopsis is under the spoiler:
► Show Spoiler
humblescribe
Verified:

Post by humblescribe »

Slim Cognito wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 9:39 am Oh please, oh please, oh please...

Just had a thought. Doesn't Merck make ivermectin? If so, you know what happens next.
I do not think Merck manufactures Ivermectin. They do manufacture a similar anthelmintic, Panacur, for ruminants and other quadrupeds.

https://www.merckvetmanual.com/pharmaco ... imidazoles

My biochemistry and organic chemistry was eons ago. Suffice to say that Ivermectin is not a benzimadazole. Ivermectin has a different mechanism to rid an animal of internal parasites.
"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others whenever they go." O. Wilde
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

Cool! Thanks, Sam. :bighug:
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

Hic sunt dracones
W. Kevin Vicklund

Post by W. Kevin Vicklund »

Slim Cognito wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 9:39 am Oh please, oh please, oh please...

Yep, I've already seen the alt-meds spinning the usual conspiracy theory. "Merck doesn't support ivermectin because they can make more money off the new pill." "If they supported ivermectin, they couldn't make back the money they spent on molnupiravir research."
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

Pffeiser has their own pill in Development

https://www.pfizer.com/news/press-relea ... l-covid-19
Pfizer Starts Global Phase 2/3 EPIC-PEP Study of Novel COVID-19 Oral Antiviral Candidate for Post-Exposure Prophylaxis in Adults
Monday, September 27, 2021 - 06:45am

EPIC-PEP (Evaluation of Protease Inhibition for COVID-19 in Post-Exposure Prophylaxis) is the third study launched in this global clinical research program.
New study will evaluate novel protease inhibitor (PF-07321332, co-administered with a low dose of ritonavir) for prevention of illness in adults living in the same household as someone with COVID-19
PF-07321332 has been specifically designed to be administered orally, so that it can potentially be administered at the first sign of infection with, or exposure to, SARS-CoV-2, without requiring patients to be hospitalized

NEW YORK--(BUSINESS WIRE)-- Pfizer Inc. (NYSE: PFE) today announced the start of the Phase 2/3 EPIC-PEP (Evaluation of Protease Inhibition for COVID-19 in Post-Exposure Prophylaxis) study to evaluate the investigational novel oral antiviral candidate PF-07321332, co-administered with a low dose of ritonavir, for the prevention of COVID-19 infection. This Phase 2/3 trial is part of a global clinical research program and is enrolling individuals who are at least 18 years old and live in the same household as an individual with a confirmed symptomatic SARS-CoV-2 infection.

“With the continued impact of COVID-19 around the world, we believe that tackling the virus will require effective treatments for people who contract, or have been exposed to, the virus, complementing the impact that vaccines have had in helping quell infections. If successful, we believe this therapy could help stop the virus early – before it has had a chance to replicate extensively – potentially preventing symptomatic disease in those who have been exposed and inhibiting the onset of infection in others,” said Mikael Dolsten, MD, PhD., Chief Scientific Officer and President, Worldwide Research, Development and Medical of Pfizer. “Given the continued emergence and evolution of SARS-CoV-2 variants and their immense impact, we continue to work diligently to develop and study new ways that our investigational oral antiviral candidate could potentially lower the impact of COVID-19, not only on patients’ lives, but also the lives of their families and household members.”

The Phase 2/3 EPIC-PEP trial is a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled study and will enroll up to 2,660 healthy adult participants aged 18 and older. Participants will be randomly assigned (1:1:1) to receive PF-07321332/ritonavir or placebo orally twice daily for 5 or 10 days. The primary objective will assess safety and efficacy for the prevention of confirmed SARS-CoV-2 infection and its symptoms through Day 14. PF-07321332 is an oral antiviral SARS-CoV-2-3CL protease inhibitor, which has an encouraging pre-clinical profile, including potent in vitro antiviral SARS-CoV-2 and broad coronavirus activity. Results from the Phase 1 clinical trial demonstrated that PF-07321332 was safe and well tolerated.

In addition to this study, the global EPIC program consists of multiple ongoing clinical trials, including one in SARS-CoV-2 infected patients who are at high risk of severe illness (including hospitalization or death), which began in July 2021, and another in infected patients who are at standard risk (i.e., do not have risk factors for severe illness), which began in August 2021.

For more information on the EPIC Phase 2/3 clinical trials for PF-07321332, visit clinicaltrials.gov
Hic sunt dracones
Sam the Centipede

Thanks Suranis! Science doing great stuff again!

More observations from my reading, for those who wish to sound knowledgeable! –
► Show Spoiler
Fiascoist

Post by Fiascoist »

I enjoyed reading this. But, a question. Am I right in understanding this pill works specifically on the virus, in other words, it has to be in your system. It is not a prophylactic, like the vaccine. So, that means taking this only after exposure or a positive test? I still like the idea of it but would like this fleshed out by people who have more knowledge than me.
Sam the Centipede

Fiascoist wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 8:06 pm I enjoyed reading this. But, a question. Am I right in understanding this pill works specifically on the virus, in other words, it has to be in your system. It is not a prophylactic, like the vaccine. So, that means taking this only after exposure or a positive test? I still like the idea of it but would like this fleshed out by people who have more knowledge than me.
Yes, these drugs have no long or medium term prophylactic effect. They are principally aimed at an active ongoing infection.

Let's take it from the top, here's my understanding (but correction is always welcome):

Natural infection: provides long(ish) term protection because your immune system learns how to recognize and respond to the virus. The downside is that this response takes significant time, which can be too long, allowing the virus to wreak damage. The quality of the acquired immune memory is more variable than with vaccines.

Vaccines (all types): provide long(ish) term protection by tricking your immune system into building and remembering immunity targeting the virus, so when infected your body responds rapidly with both antibodies (proteins that cling onto the virus) and killer T-cells to clear the infection.

Antibodies, either as convalescent plasma or as monoclonal antibodies of cocktails of monoclonals, remdesivir, etc.: provide protection against current or impending infection by supplying antibodies when the body is not producing many. They buy time while the body mounts its own response. Only one injection into the bloodstream is needed because the body does not actively clear away these new antibodies, so they persist for (probably) weeks, naturally slowly declining. Because the body did not make these antibodies, it doesn't have the genetic recipe so it cannot simply copy them.

Molnupiravir, Pfizer's protease inhibitor, etc.: these only work against an active infection by preventing the virus from making more virus. They are taken as oral drugs daily or twice daily because the body (the liver) naturally clears them rapidly from the bloodstream, as it does many circulating chemicals. They probably have some side effects such that they should only be taken when infection is known or strongly suspected.

Steroids, etc.: act on the symptoms of Covid-19 or to calm an excessively strong immune response.

Hydroxychloroquine: works against a SARS-CoV-2 infection in some human cell types in a laboratory culture but ineffective in human bodies, probably not very harmful.

Ivermectin: no action against this or other viruses, can be very harmful if self-administered.

Bleach-type products, such as MMS, and other quackery: always harmful.

Vitamins: many people are deficient in vitamin D and keeping levels up is necessary for a good immune system. Other food supplements irrelevant except in a general health way.

Prayer: if you think your god(s) will intervene, fine, but the evidence is lacking.

Homeopathy: see prayer, s/god/placebo/
Edit: Corrected some spelling slips due to finger trouble and misfiring autokorekt.
bill_g

Post by bill_g »

Concise and to the point. Thank you.
Fiascoist

Post by Fiascoist »

Thanks.
humblescribe
Verified:

Post by humblescribe »

I also think that this therapeutic, like most anti-virals, only works in the early stages of infection. Once the viral infection reaches a certain level, the drug is not very effective, if at all.

Unlike antibiotics that can work any time there is a bacterial infection present.

And apologies for not finding that Merck manufactures Ivermectin. I Goggled and Goggled but could not find it. Suffice to say that my Goggling skills ain't so good. :roll:
Sam the Centipede

Yes, that seems correct. It acts against actively replicating virus. Pfizer say:
We have designed PF-07321332 as a potential oral therapy that could be prescribed at the first sign of infection, without requiring that patients are hospitalized or in critical care.
The trial includes symptomatic non-hospitalized patients. The regime in the trial is 10 doses offered 5 days together with ritonavir to slow down metabolism (deactivation) of the drug. That fits with the growth phase of the virus in typical infections.

Any person at high risk (e.g. immunocompromised people) is certainly well-advised to test at the first suspicion of infection because these oral antiviral therapies and the antibody therapies will be most effective when administered early.
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

humblescribe wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 6:08 pm And apologies for not finding that Merck manufactures Ivermectin. I Goggled and Goggled but could not find it. Suffice to say that my Goggling skills ain't so good. :roll:
In your defense, the company is called different things in different parts of the world.
Hic sunt dracones
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Post by northland10 »

Suranis wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 3:19 am
humblescribe wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 6:08 pm And apologies for not finding that Merck manufactures Ivermectin. I Goggled and Goggled but could not find it. Suffice to say that my Goggling skills ain't so good. :roll:
In your defense, the company is called different things in different parts of the world.
Is Goggled a new thing? Sorry, couldn't let it go. I bet auto-correct was just having great fun with that. Using Safari or Edge? They probably try to limit any version of the word Google just out of spite.

You can Google, you can Bling. You can Yahoo and maybe Lycos. Not sure if you can Alta-Vista anymore. But whatever you do, don't Google your Yahoo. That's reserved for Orly.
101010 :towel:
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

northland10 wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 9:29 am
Is Goggled a new thing? Sorry, couldn't let it go. I bet auto-correct was just having great fun with that. Using Safari or Edge? They probably try to limit any version of the word Google just out of spite.

You can Google, you can Bling. You can Yahoo and maybe Lycos. Not sure if you can Alta-Vista anymore. But whatever you do, don't Google your Yahoo. That's reserved for Orly.
Off Topic
Or you can Duck Duck Go it.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

I Bingle.
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
humblescribe
Verified:

Post by humblescribe »

I thought that I was jumping on TFB bandwagon by coining a cutesy word that might find it working its way into the mainstream lexicon on here.

I've seen teh for the; elk for ilk; deninned (or thereabouts) for denied; likely a handful of others that escape my memory. That is why I wrote Goggled instead of Googled. I do not use auto-correct, Safari or Edge. Firefox sans autocorrect.

If I missed your attempt at playful humor, that's on me! :blackeye:
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

humblescribe wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 3:03 pm

I thought that I was jumping on TFB bandwagon by coining a cutesy word that might find it working its way into the mainstream lexicon on here.

I've seen teh for the; elk for ilk; deninned (or thereabouts) for denied; likely a handful of others that escape my memory. That is why I wrote Goggled instead of Googled. I do not use auto-correct, Safari or Edge. Firefox sans autocorrect.

If I missed your attempt at playful humor, that's on me! :blackeye:
Actually, I like Goggled. I never use the other; I might use that. :biggrin:
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: Inventor of flag baseball

Post by Foggy »

Change approved. I thought it was an improvement.

I try like heck to avoid creating new ones, like I always want to write "joak" instead of joke, "poast" instead of post (Thanks for that great poast, Rhoda), and maybe a few others. The nightmare of being the admin, if I do it everyone will. I try to use my powers only for good.

But if someone makes up something clever and it catches on, great. No objection. You know how I know for sure?

:whisper: (I goggled it. Tell me you didn't see that coming.)
Don't mind me, I just fell out of a coconut tree. 🥥🌴

Return to “COVID-19 and its several variants”