Extinctions

Let's get back to normalcy. Does normalcy fit into your schedule?
Volkonski
Verified:

Extinctions

Post by Volkonski »

Freshwater fish are in "catastrophic" decline with one-third facing extinction, report finds

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/freshwater ... =111969983
Despite their importance, freshwater fishes are "undervalued and overlooked," researchers said — and now freshwater biodiversity is declining at twice the rate of that in oceans and forests.

Eighty freshwater species have already been declared extinct — 16 of them in 2020 alone.

"Nowhere is the world's nature crisis more acute than in our rivers, lakes and wetlands, and the clearest indicator of the damage we are doing is the rapid decline in freshwater fish populations. They are the aquatic version of the canary in the coal mine, and we must heed the warning," said Stuart Orr of the World Wildlife Fund. "Despite their importance to local communities and indigenous people across the globe, freshwater fish are invariably forgotten and not factored into development decisions about hydropower dams or water use or building on floodplains."

Migratory species have dropped by more than three-quarters in the last 50 years, while populations of larger species, known as "megafish," have declined by a "catastrophic" 94%.
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Maybenaut
Verified: ✅✅

Re: Extinctions

Post by Maybenaut »

My sister had some guys from the Virginia Department of Forestry out at her place a couple years ago. We walked around their property and they provided a lot of insight about what they saw in terms of the health of their forest (their property is planted mostly with loblolly pine). Anyhoo, as we walked by one of their two ponds the little frogs jumped from the bank into the water. The forestry guy said that's a good sign because frogs are really sensitive. Now when I walk around our pond I always look out for the frogs jumping in the water, and it makes me really happy to hear them go "plop."
"Hey! We left this England place because it was bogus, and if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too!" -- Thomas Jefferson

Return to “Biden Administration”