Assault on the Capitol (DC)

Kendra

Re: Assault on the Capitol (DC)

Post by Kendra »

**1,000**

Body worn camera footage reviewed by federal prosecutors from Jan 6, "Displays approximately 1,000 events that may be characterized as assaults on federal officers"

Per court filings this week by US Dept of Justice
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

DOJ on Capitol defendant Jose Padilla: "The defendant is facing up to 104 years in prison, including three offenses which each carry a statutory maximum penalty of twenty years."
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
dan1100

Post by dan1100 »

Does the fact that they haven't sued any of the Proud Boys or Oath Keepers who have cut deals and pled out indicate coordination with the DOJ to squeeze out more cooperation? Or something else?

RVInit

Post by RVInit »

Slim Cognito wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 10:17 am I'd been thinking of posting this thought in the former guy thread but it seems to fit with RV''s comment:

Last weekend, when trump was boo'd by his own panzees over his vaccine remark, Mr. Tough Guy immediately backed off and reverted to the MAGA "freedumbs" shtick. What I want to know is, once back on the plane, how the OSG responded to being boo'd by the very people he (correctly) said wouldn't leave him if he murdered someone on Fifth Ave. He thought they'd follow him anywhere. Apparently, they have drawn the line.

(Just a guess - I bet whomever talked him into mentioning the vaccine got their asses kicked.)
Exactly.

I think all these ignorant, hateful, racist, scum have always been out there, but because they never were in a large group of like minded people who were egged on and rewarded for their hateful views, they kept themselves in check. Former guy encouraged and rewarded the worst of the worst attitudes and behavior and, once unleashed, even he cannot reel them back in. Once they realized they are not such a small minority, that just empowered them. I don't see how they get reeled in, ever. Now that they know they aren't such a small minority, they are not embarrassed to let it all hang out.

When a member of John McCain's audience said that Obama was a Muslim that hates America and McCain corrected her, she shut the fuck up because even if there were 30% of the audience that had those same thoughts, each of those people individually did not know they were one of a fairly large group of people who had the same racist opinions. When they think they are a small minority, they aren't as likely to act out. Former guy unleashed a hell that even he can't control now.
“A know-it-all is a person who knows everything except for how annoying he is.”

— Demetri Martin
Gregg

Post by Gregg »

Slim Cognito wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 10:17 am I'd been thinking of posting this thought in the former guy thread but it seems to fit with RV''s comment:

Last weekend, when trump was boo'd by his own panzees over his vaccine remark, Mr. Tough Guy immediately backed off and reverted to the MAGA "freedumbs" shtick. What I want to know is, once back on the plane, how the OSG responded to being boo'd by the very people he (correctly) said wouldn't leave him if he murdered someone on Fifth Ave. He thought they'd follow him anywhere. Apparently, they have drawn the line.

(Just a guess - I bet whomever talked him into mentioning the vaccine got their asses kicked.)
FWIW, they are still totally cool with him taking out a random lib on 5th Avenue.
Supreme Commander, Imperial Illuminati Air Force
:dog:

You don't have to consent, but I'm gonna tase you anyway.
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

https:// twitter.com/MacFarlaneNews/status/1430935449468608513
One high profile former federal prosecutor just told me... the lawyers behind this civil suit "are very, very good" .. and "speak volumes" about the suit's credibility
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

Facebook, Twitter, etc., don't help the situation with these people. It's easier to find like-minded people these days. Add the former guy to the mix to enable them, and voilà, January 6.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

Court has unsealed Jan 6 case against Jeffrey Brown of California

Feds say Brown is seen deploying chemical spray at police at US Capitol

Per court docs, feds talked to witness in July about be-on-the-lookout photo showing Brown
noblepa

Post by noblepa »

Volkonski wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 11:42 am
Of course, Trump is going to claim sovereign immunity, saying that he can't be sued for actions he took as President. He will also demand that the DOJ provide his legal defense.

We all know that such immunity comes into play when the actions are within the scope of his job. Hasn't one court already ruled that his rally on Jan. 6 was held in his capacity as a candidate, not as POTUS?

I'm confident that the DOJ, under Biden, will deny his request for a publicly funded defense. Will a court uphold that decision, or will the court allow him immunity?
SuzieC
Verified:

Post by SuzieC »

Agree. And so Trump will have to pay his own lawyers, again. Even if he never goes to prison, he is self-bankrupting.
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

It wasnt the Former guy that raised this beast. It was the Tea arty. Thats when the Republican party began to be captured by the people who actually believed the lies they had been pumping out for decades. The former guy just adapted his speech to appeal to them.

I think he was shocked when he was Booed. He actually believed his hope that he was in control, and thought if he could persuade them to get vaccinated he could show hos powr and claim credit for when the numbers eventually come down. But the beast turned on him instantly
Hic sunt dracones
Dave from down under

Post by Dave from down under »

US police officer Michael Byrd who fatally shot Ashli Babbitt at Capitol riot says it was 'last resort'

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-08-27/ ... /100413392

The US Capitol Police officer who fatally shot a woman as she tried to force her way into the House of Representatives during the January 6 attack says the shooting was a "last resort" and he believed she posed a threat to members of Congress.

Key points:
Michael Byrd said he had no choice but to shoot Ashli Babbitt,
The shooting occurred when hundreds of rioters fought their way into the Capitol on January 6
The Capitol Police review of the shooting concluded it may have saved lives
filly

Post by filly »

Dave from down under wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 2:24 am US police officer Michael Byrd who fatally shot Ashli Babbitt at Capitol riot says it was 'last resort'

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-08-27/ ... /100413392

The US Capitol Police officer who fatally shot a woman as she tried to force her way into the House of Representatives during the January 6 attack says the shooting was a "last resort" and he believed she posed a threat to members of Congress.

Key points:
Michael Byrd said he had no choice but to shoot Ashli Babbitt,
The shooting occurred when hundreds of rioters fought their way into the Capitol on January 6
The Capitol Police review of the shooting concluded it may have saved lives
s

Why on earth did he release his name? I know the terrorists (including T***p) claimed to know his identity but this strikes me as very dangerous to his life.
Dave from down under

Post by Dave from down under »

It added that the officer's family had "been the subject of numerous credible and specific threats".

His name was always going to be leaked by the Trumpists...
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

Just my arrogant opinion but they've probably been making plans to protect him and his family since January, knowing sooner or later the name would drop. I'm also guessing those plans are now finalized and it was better for him to come forward and tell his own story in an effort to take some of the insurrectionist-friendly assholes power away.

(not that I'm not frightened for Officer Byrd and his family's safety.)
ImageImageImage x4
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

I've never been on any right-wing websites, but I'd heard his name before. I do not remember where, though.

His name would have been out there more commonly one way or another. It's good for him to tell his story. I've been worried about his security for months, but have assumed that's being taken care of.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

AndyinPA wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 10:32 am I've never been on any right-wing websites, but I'd heard his name before. I do not remember where, though.

His name would have been out there more commonly one way or another. It's good for him to tell his story. I've been worried about his security for months, but have assumed that's being taken care of.
I assumed authorities knew there was going to be a riot/insurrection at the Capitol January 6, and now we know that was wrong.
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

:waiting:
filly

Post by filly »

Kendra wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 11:44 am

:waiting:
IIRC this guy was turned in by his fellow Marines. Semper Fi MF'er!
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

Trevor Noah took out a full page ad in the NY Times yesterday advertising his "firm's" services...
Insurrection humor! :thumbsup:
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: Inventor of flag baseball

Post by Foggy »

"Lectern theft" :lol:

:oldman: would be so proud!
Don't mind me, I just fell out of a coconut tree. 🥥🌴
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

UPDATE: A judge today ruled that Maj. Christopher Warnagiris *can* still possess firearms while he awaits trial. He is under indictment on 9 counts, including assaulting police and obstruction of an official proceeding. #CapitolRiot
Quote Tweet
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

n new court filing, accused OathKeeper conspirator Joshua James argues he didn't assault police on Jan 6

James argues he "squeezed past" police & became "enmeshed" .. and was trying to help officer

And made "incidental" contact with police

(more)

Return to “The January 6 Insurrection, including Criminal Cases”