Spreadnecks: COVIDIOTS, Anti-Maskers, Anti-Vaxxers, Etc.

We have ALL your misinformation, plus some TRUE FACTS and SCIENCE.
p0rtia

Re: Coronavirus Anti-Maskers, Anti-Vaxxers, Etc.

Post by p0rtia »

bob wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 6:08 pm
Slim Cognito wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 6:00 pm Call your dentist and ask what steps they're taking.

Mine makes you call before entering the lobby to answer health questions. If there's room (4 chairs that used to have maybe 15), you can enter. They take your temp. Everyone is masked and lots of signs about following CDC requirements. Lots of sanitizer and plexiglass shields (with signs instructing people to NOT peak around) when you check in and out.
:yeahthat:

My dentist is very transparent about the processes the office is using. I'm comforted by not only knowing what the processes are, but that the staff is happy to discuss them, your concerns, etc., with you.

If you get a dismissive vibe or a "THaT VIoLaTEs HIppA," switch dentists. (But still see a dentist.)
It also depends on the positivity and vaccination rates in your county. I've been to my dentist twice this summer. Once when positivity was at 1 percent. Today when it is at 3 percent, and vaccination rate at 54 percent with at least 1 shot. It's a rural area, and the staff at the office are all vaccinated. I'm vaccinated. That's good enough for me. In a metropolitan area with a 15 percent rate, I might hold off.

For example, I held off in Jan when I was in Fla.
MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

I know there are folks wanting to proclaim that their religion forbids them from getting this vaccination, so I was very glad to see this clear statement from a Catholic Bishop -

ZinWhit

Post by ZinWhit »

Agency - the LDS get out of Church jail card.

Nice III% flag.
Conservation is what conservation does and it sure ain't preservation.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

:brickwallsmall: :brickwallsmall: :brickwallsmall:

Cheering no masks has become, to me, like cheering death.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

Not all the Mormons are crazy, leadership issued this statement encouraging both masks and vaccinations:
Dear Brothers and Sisters:

We find ourselves fighting a war against the ravages of COVID-19 and its variants, an unrelenting pandemic. We want to do all we can to limit the spread of these viruses. We know that protection from the diseases they cause can only be achieved by immunizing a very high percentage of the population.

To limit exposure to these viruses, we urge the use of face masks in public meetings whenever social distancing is not possible. To provide personal protection from such severe infections, we urge individuals to be vaccinated. Available vaccines have proven to be both safe and effective.

We can win this war if everyone will follow the wise and thoughtful recommendations of medical experts and government leaders. Please know of our sincere love and great concern for all of God’s children.

The First Presidency

Russell M. Nelson

Dallin H. Oaks

Henry B. Eyring
https://www.deseret.com/faith/2021/8/12 ... cine-masks

Guess they have more allegiance to Trumpism than to Mormonism.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
slq

Post by slq »

AndyinPA wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 3:16 pm :brickwallsmall: :brickwallsmall: :brickwallsmall:

Cheering no masks has become, to me, like cheering death.
:yeahthat: And cheering the right to allow their children to contract COVID and die.
"Try not. Do. Or do not. There is no try."
--Yoda
Lani

Post by Lani »

The new government vaccine mandate isn't going well.

Attorneys: 1,200 first responders will file lawsuit against COVID vaccine mandate
The attorneys announced that they plan to file the lawsuit on Friday in order to try to stop the mandate which takes effect Monday, Aug. 16. This one is on behalf of police officers, firefighters and other first responders.

“They’re just asking for the chance to choose,” said attorney Shawn Luiz. “It’s a personal, autonomous, healthcare decision, and everyone should make their own choice, whether or not they want to take a vaccine or not.”

“I have to choose between that career that I’m committed to or put in an experimental drug that I don’t know what it’s gonna do to me in my body, or I got to give all that up,” said Capt. Kaimi Pelekai of the Honolulu Fire Department.

Pelekai says the City just sent county workers a letter saying they either have to get vaccinated or show proof of religious or medical exemption by Monday — or they could lose their job. KHON2 is asking the City about the letter.

When the governor announced the mandate last week, he said unvaccinated workers have the option of getting tested weekly. Representatives for the union members in the class action lawsuit say this is a violation of their collective bargaining agreement, and it runs into a whole set of problems for the workers.
https://www.khon2.com/coronavirus/hawai ... e-mandate/

So much whiny bullshit. The religious exemption just means an employee checks a box for the exemption. That's it. Ditto for the medical exemption. Check one of those two boxes, get a weekly covid test. Pick a free test site or pick a not free test.
Image You can't wait until life isn't hard anymore before you decide to be happy.
dan1100

Post by dan1100 »

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/08/13/covid-v ... posts.html

It doesn't say up from where, but still good news.
The share of job posts that require a Covid vaccine were up 34% on Aug. 7 when compared to the prior month, according to Indeed data. (The analysis uses a seven-day moving average.)

Other jobs ads aren’t as specific; they ask for vaccination without explicitly mentioning Covid. Those listings are up 90% over the same period.

“They don’t mean the polio vaccine. It’s so apparent [they mean Covid-19],” according to AnnElizabeth Konkel, an economist at the Indeed Hiring Lab who authored the analysis.
edit: I found the original article the CNBC story is based on. A lot more information which I'll try to look at later.

https://www.hiringlab.org/2021/08/12/jo ... ion-climb/
tek

Post by tek »

I have to choose between that career that I’m committed to or put in an experimental drug that I don’t know what it’s gonna do to me in my body
Maybe not what I want in a first responder. Oh, and, GFY.
Lani

Post by Lani »

tek wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 5:45 pm
I have to choose between that career that I’m committed to or put in an experimental drug that I don’t know what it’s gonna do to me in my body
Maybe not what I want in a first responder. Oh, and, GFY.
I read that the fire department guy was on the news last night, crying about the vaccine. :roll:
Image You can't wait until life isn't hard anymore before you decide to be happy.
LM K
Occupation: Professor Shrinky Lady, brainwashing young adults daily!

Post by LM K »

Lani wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 5:18 pm The new government vaccine mandate isn't going well.

Attorneys: 1,200 first responders will file lawsuit against COVID vaccine mandate
The attorneys announced that they plan to file the lawsuit on Friday in order to try to stop the mandate which takes effect Monday, Aug. 16. This one is on behalf of police officers, firefighters and other first responders.

“They’re just asking for the chance to choose,” said attorney Shawn Luiz. “It’s a personal, autonomous, healthcare decision, and everyone should make their own choice, whether or not they want to take a vaccine or not.”

“I have to choose between that career that I’m committed to or put in an experimental drug that I don’t know what it’s gonna do to me in my body, or I got to give all that up,” said Capt. Kaimi Pelekai of the Honolulu Fire Department.

Pelekai says the City just sent county workers a letter saying they either have to get vaccinated or show proof of religious or medical exemption by Monday — or they could lose their job. KHON2 is asking the City about the letter.

When the governor announced the mandate last week, he said unvaccinated workers have the option of getting tested weekly. Representatives for the union members in the class action lawsuit say this is a violation of their collective bargaining agreement, and it runs into a whole set of problems for the workers.
https://www.khon2.com/coronavirus/hawai ... e-mandate/

So much whiny bullshit. The religious exemption just means an employee checks a box for the exemption. That's it. Ditto for the medical exemption. Check one of those two boxes, get a weekly covid test. Pick a free test site or pick a not free test.
No one is taking away these employee's jobs. Employees can stay as long they get the vaccine. The vaccine is now a job requirement.

Get the jab or change employers.

To my knowledge, every covid vaccine mandate lawsuit has failed. Employers and schools can absolutely mandate vaccination.
"The jungle is no place for a cellist."
From "Take the Money and Run"
Lani

Post by Lani »

Yes, it's true that federal EEO laws do not prevent an employer from requiring all employees physically entering the workplace to be vaccinated for COVID-19 - so long as employers comply with the reasonable accommodation provisions of the ADA and Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 and other EEO considerations.

So medical issues and religious beliefs can exempt some people from the mandate. Employer can move employee to remote work or where there are fewer encounters with others and/or test them for the virus..
LM K
Occupation: Professor Shrinky Lady, brainwashing young adults daily!

Post by LM K »

Lani wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 10:02 pm Yes, it's true that federal EEO laws do not prevent an employer from requiring all employees physically entering the workplace to be vaccinated for COVID-19 - so long as employers comply with the reasonable accommodation provisions of the ADA and Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 and other EEO considerations.

So medical issues and religious beliefs can exempt some people from the mandate. Employer can move employee to remote work or where there are fewer encounters with others and/or test them for the virus..
Agreed. Medical and religious exemptions must be verified. Folks can't walk into HR and say they have a medical condition that means they can't vaccinate. Verification from a healthcare provider is necessary.

Same with religious exemptions. Employers are cracking down on religious exemptions and are now requiring documentation that the employee is actively practicing their religion.
"The jungle is no place for a cellist."
From "Take the Money and Run"
Frater I*I
Verified: ✅Verified Devilish Hyena

Post by Frater I*I »

Probably not gonna affect Hawaii because...

Those people who live in these wonderful GQP controlled states are gonna learn that those "right to work" laws are about to bite them in the a$$

:rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:
"He sewed his eyes shut because he is afraid to see, He tries to tell me what I put inside of me
He's got the answers to ease my curiosity, He dreamed a god up and called it Christianity"

Trent Reznor
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Post by bill_g »

raison de arizona wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 3:19 pm Not all the Mormons are crazy, leadership issued this statement encouraging both masks and vaccinations:
Dear Brothers and Sisters:

We find ourselves fighting a war against the ravages of COVID-19 and its variants, an unrelenting pandemic. We want to do all we can to limit the spread of these viruses. We know that protection from the diseases they cause can only be achieved by immunizing a very high percentage of the population.

To limit exposure to these viruses, we urge the use of face masks in public meetings whenever social distancing is not possible. To provide personal protection from such severe infections, we urge individuals to be vaccinated. Available vaccines have proven to be both safe and effective.

We can win this war if everyone will follow the wise and thoughtful recommendations of medical experts and government leaders. Please know of our sincere love and great concern for all of God’s children.

The First Presidency

Russell M. Nelson

Dallin H. Oaks

Henry B. Eyring
https://www.deseret.com/faith/2021/8/12 ... cine-masks

Guess they have more allegiance to Trumpism than to Mormonism.
Golden idols never fell out of use.
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

I like this Quora answer.
485CB5B3-8242-4D79-A651-57BBD966A3D5.jpeg
485CB5B3-8242-4D79-A651-57BBD966A3D5.jpeg (419 KiB) Viewed 996 times
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Post by bill_g »

filly

Post by filly »

p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

Wow. It is cathartic to hear the above rant by the wonderful Trae Crowder.

But wow. His anger and frustration are real, and thus moving.
Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

It seems like the tipping point is near. Maskhole fatigue is gripping the country; it won’t be long until we’re all screaming in frustration at the stupid selfish.
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

Phoenix520 wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 5:28 pm It seems like the tipping point is near. Maskhole fatigue is gripping the country; it won’t be long until we’re all screaming in frustration at the stupid selfish.
This is just nuts.

I agree about the tipping point, but what do you think will happen? Seems to me at some point, the MSM and elected/career government workers / health sector has got to say, "What y'all right wing nutters are saying has nothing to do with health or rationality; you're just playing politics and you are yourselves a public menace."
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Post by northland10 »

There are, or were until the lastest spikes, non-Trumpists who were having mask fatigue. Our former interim rector (tradition is for them to leave one month before a new permanent rector starts) was frustrated with the return to the building committee as many of them were pushing for making masks optional. She consulted the incoming Rector and others and made a command decision to continue with masks. Her decision was it was easier to relax restrictions instead of forcing a new rector to have to increase restrictions in her for 2 weeks (the new rector also has an infant who cannot be masked or vaccinated). I supported this and every day, I see it was an extremely wise decision. Other parishes are having to backtrack. It also allows us to sing since we are masked, at least for now.

The simple fact is, there is fatigue among many, and I get that. However, we need to remind each other that we are doing this, not for ourselves but for our sisters and brothers in our communities, and the world. I realize with some of the right, doing for others is not a high priority.

For me, should I need strength to continue, I look back to the words Presiding Bishop of the Episcopal Church, Michael Curry:
The reason for wearing the face mask is I wear it so that I don't spread anything to you. I wear it to protect you. It's a small inconvenience, a little sacrifice that actually may be a symbol of what it means to love. And the possible miracle could be that if I wear to protect you from me, and you wear it to protect me from you, or the virus within you, we get protected and we all win. And that is the power of love.

If I make room for you, and you make room for me, and if we will work together to create a society where there is room for all of God's children, where every human being, every one of us is treated as a child of God, created in the image and likeness of God, where everybody is loved, everybody is honored, everybody is respected, everybody is created as a child of God. If we work together to build that kind of society and don't give up, then love can save us all.
We were the mask, not for ourselves, but for all humanity.
101010 :towel:
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

:yeahthat:

:lovestruck:
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler

Return to “COVID-19 and its several variants”