Assault on the Capitol (DC)

Suranis

Re: Assault on the Capitol (DC)

Post by Suranis »

I have it on good authority that he was just about to reveal the truth about Obama's birth certificate.
Hic sunt dracones
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

Mo Brooks on his insurrection incitement: trump made me do it!

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/mo-brook ... 0409fb2eb9
GOP Lawmaker Sued Over Inciting Insurrection: Trump White House Made Me Do It
Rep. Mo Brooks, who spoke at the Trump rally before the attack, claims he did it only because the White House asked him to.
“Today is the day American patriots start taking down names and kicking ass,” Brooks said at the rally. He repeated Trump’s baseless claims that the November presidential election had been stolen and asked if those in the crowd were ready to fight.

Brooks argued in his motion Friday that he can’t be sued because he was acting under the scope of his job as a federal employee, during work, and his speech fell under his duties as a member of Congress.

“Brooks only gave an Ellipse Speech because the White House asked him to, in his capacity as a United States congressman,” the filing said. “But for the White House request, Brooks would not have appeared at the Ellipse Rally.”

Brooks had cast doubt on the legitimacy of the 2020 election won by Joe Biden in the lead-up to the Jan. 6 riot at the Capitol, despite there being no evidence the 2020 vote was not secure. He repeated that fiction in the court filings, insisting that the election was rife with fraud and that Trump should be the current president.
Can this defense work? Sure, he was asked to appear. Will he claim he was asked to incite an insurrection?
My Crested Yorkie, Gilda and her amazing hair.

ImageImageImage x4
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Post by bill_g »

Frater I*I wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 11:44 pm
northland10 wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 10:28 pm Possible, but recklessness is a capacity that the right-wing has in abundance. No mask, no vax, no helmet, don't pay attention to lights (which are communist anyway).
I laughed at that way more than I should have, but I'm not sorry :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:
Motorcycle accidents are the gnarleyest. Cars only get bent. People turn into meatbags. Not pretty.

I've been witness to a couple. Gave testimony against the motorcyclist in a civil case once where meatbag survived, and I even rendered aid to him at the time. He wanted a lifetime of care, but in the moment he just wanted to pass everyone on the right and get through the light as fast as he could. Instead he took the scenic route diagonally through a woman's passenger window, missed her child in a rear car seat, out the back window, into the grill of the car behind her as they turned left. His bike throttle got stuck at full speed. It turned into a crazy machine bouncing wildly everytime the rear wheel hit the road. It hit a lot of cars before landing upside down on the tripod of the handlebars and seat so I could run up and turn off the gas tank fuel valve. Ape hangers finally made sense.

The only aid I could render at the time was to stop other people from rendering aid. He had a helmet and full leathers. Despite the impossible pose he had on the pavement, there was nothing we could do for him except to not help, and wait for the EMT's. It was also my first experience telling people to put away their camera phones. It's not a petting zoo, and that ain't your kid. Ugh.
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

Good thing you were there. The thought of do-gooders moving someone with a possible neck/spinal cord injury without proper reinforcement horrifies me.
My Crested Yorkie, Gilda and her amazing hair.

ImageImageImage x4
jemcanada2

Post by jemcanada2 »

bill_g wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 9:05 am
Frater I*I wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 11:44 pm
northland10 wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 10:28 pm Possible, but recklessness is a capacity that the right-wing has in abundance. No mask, no vax, no helmet, don't pay attention to lights (which are communist anyway).
I laughed at that way more than I should have, but I'm not sorry :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:
Motorcycle accidents are the gnarleyest. Cars only get bent. People turn into meatbags. Not pretty.

I've been witness to a couple. Gave testimony against the motorcyclist in a civil case once where meatbag survived, and I even rendered aid to him at the time. He wanted a lifetime of care, but in the moment he just wanted to pass everyone on the right and get through the light as fast as he could. Instead he took the scenic route diagonally through a woman's passenger window, missed her child in a rear car seat, out the back window, into the grill of the car behind her as they turned left. His bike throttle got stuck at full speed. It turned into a crazy machine bouncing wildly everytime the rear wheel hit the road. It hit a lot of cars before landing upside down on the tripod of the handlebars and seat so I could run up and turn off the gas tank fuel valve. Ape hangers finally made sense.

The only aid I could render at the time was to stop other people from rendering aid. He had a helmet and full leathers. Despite the impossible pose he had on the pavement, there was nothing we could do for him except to not help, and wait for the EMT's. It was also my first experience telling people to put away their camera phones. It's not a petting zoo, and that ain't your kid. Ugh.
When I was quite young, a motorcycle with a man and a woman on it raced past my family’s car. My dad said “damn fools are going to get themselves killed!” In a few minutes we came upon the scene of a horrible accident. They had been struck by a train and instantly killed. My dad took charge of the scene as an off duty cop. He made my sisters and I get down in the back seat so that we couldn’t see anything. Other families were letting their kids run around and look at the bodies. My dad was so pissed at them and what they were letting their kids see. What I saw was traumatic enough for me to remember it all these years later.
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

Court orders General Counsel of US House of Representatives to respond by July 27 to request by Rep Mo Brooks (R-AL) to certify he was acting in the "scope of his employment" on Jan 6

Brooks is being sued by Rep Eric Swalwell (D-CA) for role in inciting Insurrection
:whistle:
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

Kendra wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 10:39 am https:// twitter.com/MacFarlaneNews/status/1412781284829638657
Court orders General Counsel of US House of Representatives to respond by July 27 to request by Rep Mo Brooks (R-AL) to certify he was acting in the "scope of his employment" on Jan 6

Brooks is being sued by Rep Eric Swalwell (D-CA) for role in inciting Insurrection
:whistle:
Is it in the "scope of employment" for a member of Congress to speak to a rally, especially a (post-)election rally of a candidate? Wouldn't such a speech be considered in the private sphere of an elected official?
bill_g

Post by bill_g »

Slim Cognito wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 10:12 am Good thing you were there. The thought of do-gooders moving someone with a possible neck/spinal cord injury without proper reinforcement horrifies me.
Amen to that.
bill_g

Post by bill_g »

jemcanada2 wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 10:29 am When I was quite young, a motorcycle with a man and a woman on it raced past my family’s car. My dad said “damn fools are going to get themselves killed!” In a few minutes we came upon the scene of a horrible accident. They had been struck by a train and instantly killed. My dad took charge of the scene as an off duty cop. He made my sisters and I get down in the back seat so that we couldn’t see anything. Other families were letting their kids run around and look at the bodies. My dad was so pissed at them and what they were letting their kids see. What I saw was traumatic enough for me to remember it all these years later.
Yep. I've had similar occur, said the same thing, and minutes later caught up to The Accident. Unlike your Dad, other people witnessed it and were already working the scene while the rest of us waited for the rural first responders. I put on my safety orange and just helped flag traffic through in the meantime. People gawked, but I don't recall kids running hither and yon.
Reddog

Post by Reddog »

I still enjoy riding, but things happen fast sometimes.
About 45 years ago an older gentleman turned left in front of me. I slid into the other lane and missed him, but collided with a nice lady, who was following him,who felt awful about it. I can still remember my head hitting her bumper, to this day I can’t not ride without a helmet.

My great fortune was that a man out cutting his grass seen it happen and came over to give aid. He had been a medic in Vietnam. He kept spectators away. Prevented me from removing helmet, and got a sweater from someone to cover me with. All while palpating to determine the extent of my injuries.

I had broken ribs, punctured lung, and loose teeth that took a while to firm up.

This was a near zero speed accident. She had been stopped, and I was sliding to a stop. Made the front page of the local paper. My 15 minutes of fame.
Reddog

Post by Reddog »

Edit above from “can’t not “ to won’t
I carried the photo for years, and still is the first photo in my photo album.
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Post by neonzx »

Reddog wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 1:34 pm Edit above from “can’t not “ to won’t
Hey, by law, I have to wear a seat belt in my car -- and my car as all sorts of safety things going on, air bags, etc.

Don't know how the motorcycle lobby managed exceptions to basic safety things like helmets. :cantlook: My friend's 25yo son often rides his bike with no helmet while wearing a t-shirt, shorts, and flip-flops. :? Insanity.
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Post by northland10 »

Once had to swerve to miss hitting a Harley with a helmetless driver. Why did he cause me to have to swerve out of the way? He was on the phone, handheld (well back and forth from hand to shoulder-held). Not sure how you could actually hear a handheld phone on a hog.
101010 :towel:
Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

Just after we finished the Red Cross First Aid course, the mr and I came upon a motorcycle accident. The bike’s wheels were still spinning; no emergency vehicles yet.

The rider was crumpled on the sidewalk, already gone. I wanted to go help, we were freshly certified - but he wouldn’t let me, for all the reasons.

A few weeks later we had an opportunity, though, at the river. A young woman had gotten a foot trapped in the rocks in the shallow but swift river. She panicked, lost her footing with the other foot and fell. The current kept her under. :crying:
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

This is how tourists behave, right?
bill_g

Post by bill_g »

Kendra wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 2:33 pm
This is how tourists behave, right?
Depends on the hotel, the band, and how much adult "recreations" were consumed.
bill_g

Post by bill_g »

neonzx wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 1:42 pm
Reddog wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 1:34 pm Edit above from “can’t not “ to won’t
Hey, by law, I have to wear a seat belt in my car -- and my car as all sorts of safety things going on, air bags, etc.

Don't know how the motorcycle lobby managed exceptions to basic safety things like helmets. :cantlook: My friend's 25yo son often rides his bike with no helmet while wearing a t-shirt, shorts, and flip-flops. :? Insanity.
I think the idea is if you make murdercycles as safe as cars, they aren't bikes anymore. It is rather pointless to be safely strapped to a hunk of steel hurtling at 60mph or faster with open air all around you. The tale of Humpty Dumpty speaks to this issue.
Jim

Post by Jim »

Kendra wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 2:33 pm This is how tourists behave, right?
American tourists are world famous for being about the worst...
MsDaisy
Verified:

Post by MsDaisy »

neonzx wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 1:42 pm :snippity:
:cantlook: My friend's 25yo son often rides his bike with no helmet while wearing a t-shirt, shorts, and flip-flops. :? Insanity.
:shock: :faint:

You should try to convince him to do a ride along with his local rescue squad sometime. Such rides have opened an eye or two :thumbsup:
SuzieC
Verified:

Post by SuzieC »

https://www.cltampa.com/news-views/flor ... &stream=to

Some Floriduh Republicans are holding a "Free Our Patriots" rally, calling for the Jan. 6 insurrectionists to be released. This will become the new normal in the party. There is no bottom.
Luke
Location: @orly_licious With Pete Buttigieg and the other "open and defiant homosexuals" --Bryan Fischer AFA

Post by Luke »

From Ali "Alexander" Akbar on Telegram has some lovely news if true (but it's Akbar and who know what "reclaimthenet" is:
ALI ALEXANDER 🇺🇸, [08.07.21 13:40]
Delete Facebook

Facebook to ban anyone who’s charged (not convicted) in connection with the riot at the US Capitol on January 6 and may start "fact-checking" claims that the riot was staged.

Facebook has also made untrue claims about me and Stop the Steal in a leaked internal report. It’s so bizarre because it’s so provably untrue. And they banned me even though I’ve not been accused or charged with any crime.

https://reclaimthenet.org/facebook-bans ... january-6/
The Reclaim panic is based on this WaPo story: https://www.washingtonpost.com/technolo ... ght-trump/

Will Miki Booth, who bragged about being there, be baned? 8-)
Lt Root Beer of the Mighty 699th. Fogbow 💙s titular Mama June in Fogbow's Favourite Show™ Mama June: From Not To Hot! Fogbow's Theme Song™ Edith Massey's "I Got The Evidence!" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5jDHZd0JAg
Flatpoint High
Occupation: professional pain in the ass, voice actor & keeper of the straight face
Verified:

Post by Flatpoint High »

SuzieC wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 11:59 am https://www.cltampa.com/news-views/flor ... &stream=to

Some Floriduh Republicans are holding a "Free Our Patriots" rally, calling for the Jan. 6 insurrectionists to be released. This will become the new normal in the party. There is no bottom.
They are calling them "political prisoners" and of course will fundraise off of them
castigat ridendo mores.
VELOCIUS QUAM ASPARAGI COQUANTUR
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

Jan 6 defendant Couy Griffin - a county commissioner in New Mexico - asked a court to DISMISS criminal charge, arguing feds didn't prosecute some of the protestors at Brett Kavanagh Supreme Court confirmation hearings (among other reasons)

It.... didn't work ==>
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Post by northland10 »

Reminds me of 7th graders, without the maturity. "Billy did it and he didn't get in trouble."

Welcome to the party of personal responsibility.
101010 :towel:
June bug

Post by June bug »

northland10 wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 2:30 pm Reminds me of 7th graders, without the maturity. "Billy did it and he didn't get in trouble."

Welcome to the party of personal responsibility.
Not to mention that the Kavanaugh protesters occupied the steps; they didn’t invade the Capitol.

Return to “The January 6 Insurrection, including Criminal Cases”