Assault on the Capitol (DC)

filly

Re: Assault on the Capitol (DC)

Post by filly »

You are welcome Somerset. Of course I couldn't help but think that McBoom went along with MAGA... until he didn't. With his neighbors and constituents and the MAGidiots threatening him and his family I wonder if he has regrets for buying into the initial BS from the get-go.
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Post by northland10 »

filly wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 12:07 pm You may remember that the Michigan State Senate Oversight Committee investigated and wrote a report dispelling all of the lies about the election being stolen. The report was authored by a fellow named McBroom. He's a religious Republican from the Upper Peninsula, a dairy farmer, and the kind of guy you might suspect would go along with the Big Lie. But instead he wrote a stinging rebuke to all of the lies, and asked the Michigan AG to consider prosecuting those who have grifted off of it.
Here's the thing about the UP, and even, to a point, Northern Lower Michigan (i.e. Northern Michigan). The UP has their own way of living and doing things and do not follow your standard categories. While they do have some militia and other crazy folks (more in Northern lower than the UP) most of the extreme right people and politicians hang out in the eastern part of the state, and especially that buffer around Southeast Michigan that goes from the thumb down to Hillsdale to Adrien at the border (not the larger cities, of course).

In my experience, the Northern republicans tend to be less crazy. The same goes a bit for the Dutch reformed folk on the west side of the state.
101010 :towel:
filly

Post by filly »

While I agree with much of what you wrote there is a large element of the crazy in the Northern lower, even on the west side. Case in point:Congressman Jack Bergsman .Also, too, Antrim County. Like anyplace there are sane folks but they are the minority. The UP is pretty ruby red/MAGA but that is not as true in the areas where there are some colleges and universities. Sault St Marie is not as bad as other places but McBroom is from the other places. I found his interview fascinating though. His honesty may have doomed his political future. I just hope his family stays safe.
keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

Post by keith »

My dad came from a multigenerational farming family around Tawas. He and his twin were the baby of the family so he didnt have any of the inheritance. He and his brothers mostly picked a favorite car plant and went to work. My dad took over my mother's father's place as shop steward when he retired. Anyway, he hated going back to Tawas - most of his siblings did too. The only reason I ever heard was "those people are crazy up there". And this memory is from 60 years ago.
Be assured that a walk through the ocean of most souls Would scarcely get your feet wet
northland10

Post by northland10 »

filly wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 6:58 pm While I agree with much of what you wrote there is a large element of the crazy in the Northern lower, even on the west side. Case in point:Congressman Jack Bergsman .Also, too, Antrim County. Like anyplace there are sane folks but they are the minority. The UP is pretty ruby red/MAGA but that is not as true in the areas where there are some colleges and universities. Sault St Marie is not as bad as other places but McBroom is from the other places. I found his interview fascinating though. His honesty may have doomed his political future. I just hope his family stays safe.
I was not saying Northern Lower and the UP were not mainly GOP, they are and generally have been. Yes, there are crazy there, but this is also where Michael Moore has lived (he used to live in Antrim County but I am not sure if he still lives there now). When Moore started the Traverse City Film Festival, there was a small crazy contingent that went nuts about it, but all they accomplished was looking like fools and giving the TC Film Festival free advertising which made them instantly big instead of slowly building up.
filly

Post by filly »

So, I live in the Northern Lower, but thanks for the explanation. :biggrin:
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Post by neonzx »

RTH10260 wrote: Sun Jul 04, 2021 5:35 pm https://youtu.be/jWJVMoe7OY0
It was posted a few days ago up-thread, but the more people who see this, the better. Excellent. :clap:
RVInit

Post by RVInit »

Just watched the whole thing. It was pretty good, fwiw, I recommend.
“A know-it-all is a person who knows everything except for how annoying he is.”

— Demetri Martin
Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

:? Remind me not to do the touristy thing where these poots live.
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Post by bill_g »

Kate520 wrote: Sun Jul 04, 2021 8:33 pm :? Remind me not to do the touristy thing where these poots live.
I think we should visit their homes their style. Just gather a few hundred freinds, scale the fence, and enter through any window. Hell - bring a chainsaw, and make your own door. Don't forget to take a few momentos.
northland10

Post by northland10 »

bill_g wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 8:12 am
Kate520 wrote: Sun Jul 04, 2021 8:33 pm :? Remind me not to do the touristy thing where these poots live.
I think we should visit their homes their style. Just gather a few hundred freinds, scale the fence, and enter through any window. Hell - bring a chainsaw, and make your own door. Don't forget to take a few momentos.
I would not be wanting to play tourist at these poot palaces, even with my tetanus shot up to date. I remember driving by their estates (as filly reminds me, there are still plenty of crazy on the NW side of Michigan) and you had to beware of what you might step on just as much as to beware of the dogs as the many signs said. The mementos would only be useful for storing on your front lawn (water heaters, cars on blocks, 23 rusted bikes, etc.).

If the insurrectionists were only tourists, then it should a simple matter to keep them out. A few 'garage sale' signs would have easily redirected them elsewhere. For those who managed to miss the signs, some well-placed fudge around the grounds would have slowed them down.
bill_g

Post by bill_g »

FUDGIES!!!!
noblepa

Post by noblepa »

And, don't forget to post videos of yourself doing it on YouTube, and brag about it on FaceBook.
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

memento
bill_g

Post by bill_g »

sugar magnolia wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 11:21 am memento
No thanks. I prefer Werthers. :)
bill_g

Post by bill_g »

noblepa wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 11:04 am
And, don't forget to post videos of yourself doing it on YouTube, and brag about it on FaceBook.
I was going to post a DIY video on how to make an emergency entrance that looks professionally done.
northland10

Post by northland10 »

sugar magnolia wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 11:21 am memento
That's what mine says (now). Actually, momentos are that extra crap you get when attending conferences, i.e. vendor bling.
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

:popcorn:

Also, check out Scott's twitter page, several videos just released.
northland10

Post by northland10 »

I guess this means there is one less going to trial.

Joseph Barnes, Charged Over Capitol Riot, Dies in Motorcycle Crash
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/josep ... np1taskbar
A Texas man charged in connection with the January riot at the U.S. Capitol died in a motorcycle crash last month.

Joseph Cable Barnes, 35, was among hundreds of suspected rioters arrested earlier this year. He was facing multiple charges related to the deadly assault on the Capitol on January 6.

However, police in Austin, Texas, recently identified Barnes as the man who died in a motorcycle crash in June.

In a news release, police said Barnes was on his motorcycle when he ran a red light and collided with a silver Toyota at Capital of Texas Highway and Westbank Drive on June 12. Barnes was pronounced dead at the scene, police said, while the driver of the Toyota was transported to a local hospital with minor injuries.
Frater I*I
Verified: ✅Verified Devilish Hyena

Post by Frater I*I »

northland10 wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 10:04 pm I guess this means there is one less going to trial.

A Texas man charged in connection with the January riot at the U.S. Capitol died in a motorcycle crash last month.

Joseph Cable Barnes, 35, was among hundreds of suspected rioters arrested earlier this year. He was facing multiple charges related to the deadly assault on the Capitol on January 6.

However, police in Austin, Texas, recently identified Barnes as the man who died in a motorcycle crash in June.

In a news release, police said Barnes was on his motorcycle when he ran a red light and collided with a silver Toyota at Capital of Texas Highway and Westbank Drive on June 12. Barnes was pronounced dead at the scene, police said, while the driver of the Toyota was transported to a local hospital with minor injuries.
One has to wonder if he did it intentionally...
"He sewed his eyes shut because he is afraid to see, He tries to tell me what I put inside of me
He's got the answers to ease my curiosity, He dreamed a god up and called it Christianity"

Trent Reznor
northland10

Post by northland10 »

Possible, but recklessness is a capacity that the right-wing has in abundance. No mask, no vax, no helmet, don't pay attention to lights (which are communist anyway).
johnpcapitalist
Verified: ✅ Totally legit!

Post by johnpcapitalist »

northland10 wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 10:04 pm I guess this means there is one less going to trial.

Cue deep state conspiracy theories from the Trump cult in 5...4...3...
Frater I*I
Verified: ✅Verified Devilish Hyena

Post by Frater I*I »

northland10 wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 10:28 pm Possible, but recklessness is a capacity that the right-wing has in abundance. No mask, no vax, no helmet, don't pay attention to lights (which are communist anyway).
I laughed at that way more than I should have, but I'm not sorry :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:
"He sewed his eyes shut because he is afraid to see, He tries to tell me what I put inside of me
He's got the answers to ease my curiosity, He dreamed a god up and called it Christianity"

Trent Reznor
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

johnpcapitalist wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 10:28 pm

Cue deep state conspiracy theories from the Trump cult in 5...4...3...
That was my first reaction.
My Crested Yorkie, Gilda and her amazing hair.

ImageImageImage x4

Return to “The January 6 Insurrection, including Criminal Cases”