Hijack This Thread

zekeb
Occupation: Stable genius. One who tosses horseshit with a pitchfork and never misses the spreader.

Re: Hijack This Thread

Post by zekeb »

I have an ASUS AC5300. They make a matching extender for it. It's a bit pricey and probably is a bit too fast for DSL. Look for a triband model. It will automatically shift to a lower speed when the signal is weak.
Largo al factotum.
Azastan
Verified:

Post by Azastan »

zekeb wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 8:17 pm I have an ASUS AC5300. They make a matching extender for it. It's a bit pricey and probably is a bit too fast for DSL. Look for a triband model. It will automatically shift to a lower speed when the signal is weak.
Do you have any recommendations for a brand? I'd like it to work consistently, be relatively inexpensive (less than $200 would be great), and be easy for a non-geek to set up, please.
Patagoniagirl

Post by Patagoniagirl »

^Yeah,me too.
zekeb
Occupation: Stable genius. One who tosses horseshit with a pitchfork and never misses the spreader.

Post by zekeb »

I've always used Linksys until I switched to ASUS. ASUS is a little more pricey. Netgear probably has some decent ones at a good price too. Go to Amazon and search "wifi extenders." I don't know what distance is involved. If your current wifi router is nearest the barn, there might not be much more you can do. My ASUS is a high power model, but it set me back $300+.
Largo al factotum.
tek

Post by tek »

I too am an Asus fan. That said, for this job some of the cheapo units should be OK.

I have a couple TP-Link single-band extenders that I use off and on (damned cinderblock construction is impervious to wifi), and they are fine.

Depending on the signal situation at the barn, you may want to get something you can mount outdoors. Take your phone or laptop out to the barn and do a signal survey to see what the situation is.

One thing I've learned with extenders (non-mesh) is do NOT use the feature that lets the extender have the same SSID ("wireless name") as the base unit. This will cause you no end of trouble, because unlike a mesh setup the handoffs between the base and the extender just won't work right.
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

I'm not gonna go into a lot of research, because I don't have the time. But one of my techie bros swears that a "mesh network" is far superior to any wifi extender. I think they're a little pricey (maybe $300?), but you should definitely goog it and see if it might work for you, Azastan.
🎶 We went for a ride,
We got outside,
The sand was hot,
She wanted to dance ... 🎶
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

Foggy wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 7:59 am I'm not gonna go into a lot of research, because I don't have the time. But one of my techie bros swears that a "mesh network" is far superior to any wifi extender. I think they're a little pricey (maybe $300?), but you should definitely goog it and see if it might work for you, Azastan.
Definitely google it because a friend was asking the same question about an extender the other day and all of our techie friends said anything but a mesh network to just add basically one more device or hit one more spot. There was a lot of technical jargon, but it sounds like the mesh thing is for pretty specific applications.

I'll see if I can find the original info they gave her with all the right words they used. I do know they all recommended she call her internet provider and ask what they suggest before she spent any money on something.
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

I own four extenders and a couple of wired access points.

I've never paid more than 30 bucks for any of them.

They work fine.

I run my network (Florida) to four different buildings. Sight to sight helps.

I researched getting a fancy system that might eliminate the occasional problems (always solved by unplugging and plugging in again) or increase bandwidth. I've never been able to justify the expense.
Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

Our Oregon trip was aces. Mr520 had perfect weather for rafting -hot as hell during the day, 30° cooler at night.

The first day was the “shake down cruise”, 2 hours of flat water, riffles, and class I-II rapids from Hogg Creek to Galice Resort. (“Resort” in this context means hot showers and real toilets.) Does your raft have a hole? Is your oar about to snap? Now is when you find and fix because you’re doomed once you enter the gorge. The mr was in a cataraft he’d just bought.

I wasn’t going so I spent the day as support team, running errands and driving shuttle while they did the shake down and met them at the Galice Lodge across the street from the Resort for dinner.

The river becomes permit only, Wild and Scenic, from Galice on down, inaccessible except for a couple of fire roads. Above Galice the river is a popular place. No permits needed, huge jet boats carrying 50 people roaring back and forth (actually, up and down) rafts and inflatable kayaks… Busy. Below Galice, permits are limited.

I’m glad I got to be there. Because one week later…

https://www.mailtribune.com/top-stories ... ce-resort/

It’s a monumental tragedy in the rafting community.

(Can’t figure out how to embed, sorry)
Azastan
Verified:

Post by Azastan »

zekeb wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 5:24 am I've always used Linksys until I switched to ASUS. ASUS is a little more pricey. Netgear probably has some decent ones at a good price too. Go to Amazon and search "wifi extenders." I don't know what distance is involved. If your current wifi router is nearest the barn, there might not be much more you can do. My ASUS is a high power model, but it set me back $300+.
The barn is about 75 feet away. It may very well be that an extender might not do me much good for barn wi-fi :confuzzled: .
tek wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 6:24 am I too am an Asus fan. That said, for this job some of the cheapo units should be OK.

I have a couple TP-Link single-band extenders that I use off and on (damned cinderblock construction is impervious to wifi), and they are fine.

Depending on the signal situation at the barn, you may want to get something you can mount outdoors. Take your phone or laptop out to the barn and do a signal survey to see what the situation is.

One thing I've learned with extenders (non-mesh) is do NOT use the feature that lets the extender have the same SSID ("wireless name") as the base unit. This will cause you no end of trouble, because unlike a mesh setup the handoffs between the base and the extender just won't work right.
My laptop actually works quite well out there, as I discovered yesterday. My mobile phone, however, does not. There's one spot out there where I get a reliable signal though. It's beginning to sound as if a cheapie extender might work just as well as the pricier ones, so I will see if any of the Buy Nothing groups have anyone getting rid of a cheapie.

Thanks everyone!
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

Azastan wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 1:28 pm Duplicate post...weird.
It's not a bug. it's a feature conspiracy ;)
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Post by neonzx »

Azastan wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 1:19 pm
The barn is about 75 feet away. It may very well be that an extender might not do me much good for barn wi-fi :confuzzled: .

My laptop actually works quite well out there, as I discovered yesterday. My mobile phone, however, does not. There's one spot out there where I get a reliable signal though. It's beginning to sound as if a cheapie extender might work just as well as the pricier ones, so I will see if any of the Buy Nothing groups have anyone getting rid of a cheapie.
Is your home router dual band? If so, your laptop may be connecting on 2.4ghz while your phone may be connecting on 5ghz. 2.4ghz is slower but has greater range than 5ghz.

See this site for an explanation:

What’s the difference between 2.4GHz and 5GHz WiFi?

Coverage

2.4GHz WiFi covers a longer range than 5GHz WiFi, making it ideal if you need the signal to reach a larger area, such as large retail shops, bars with different floors and hotels with a pool area.

Without taking any external factors or major obstacles into consideration, a lot of standard WiFi routers operating on the 2.4GHz frequency can reach up to 150 feet (46m) indoors and 300 feet (92m) outdoors.

In comparison, those using the 5GHz frequency usually reach around one-third of these distances.

It’s worth noting that this kind of coverage can be hampered depending on what specific 802.11 protocol it runs, the strength of your device transmitter and physical obstructions. :snippity:
zekeb

Post by zekeb »

75 feet should be do-able without an extender, if your wifi unit is at the wall closest to the barn. My cell picks up my neighbor's wifi from a half a block away. As neonzx said, having a dual band phone will maximize your range. Any newer phone should have this.
Largo al factotum.
Azastan
Verified:

Post by Azastan »

neonzx wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 3:37 pm
Is your home router dual band? If so, your laptop may be connecting on 2.4ghz while your phone may be connecting on 5ghz. 2.4ghz is slower but has greater range than 5ghz.

Good question--I will find out.
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

So this one perplexes me in the Is That Legal sense...
► Show Spoiler
Video unavailable
This video is no longer available due to a copyright claim by Superior Court of California, County of Los Angeles.
This is an audio recording of Brittany Spears conservatorship hearing. Apparently the court in question forbids recording? Is my understanding. But is it not an abuse of the system for the court to claim a copyright to the recording? Are court hearings really automatically copyrighted by the court in question? 'Cause that just don't seem right.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
fierceredpanda
Location: BAR Headquarters - Turn left at the portrait of George III
Occupation: Criminal defense attorney. I am not your lawyer. My posts != legal advice.

Post by fierceredpanda »

covfefe wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 11:18 pm So this one perplexes me in the Is That Legal sense...
► Show Spoiler
Video unavailable
This video is no longer available due to a copyright claim by Superior Court of California, County of Los Angeles.
This is an audio recording of Brittany Spears conservatorship hearing. Apparently the court in question forbids recording? Is my understanding. But is it not an abuse of the system for the court to claim a copyright to the recording? Are court hearings really automatically copyrighted by the court in question? 'Cause that just don't seem right.
Yeah, I have no idea about the copyright claim. Most courts forbid (under penalty of contempt) any audio/visual recording without prior approval by the judge, but I've never heard of a court claiming an intellectual property interest like that. I wonder if the court just wanted the unlawfully-recorded video taken down and (like so many aggrieved persons in the past) knew that a dubious DMCA claim is the fastest way to get YouTube to act.

Also apologies for my sparse posting the last couple weeks. I'm loving the new job, but it comes with a lot less freedom to, say, browse Fogbow mid-day than when I was working for myself.
"There's no play here. There's no angle. There's no champagne room. I'm not a miracle worker, I'm a janitor. The math on this is simple. The smaller the mess, the easier it is for me to clean up." -Michael Clayton
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

fierceredpanda wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 7:10 am I wonder if the court just wanted the unlawfully-recorded video taken down and (like so many aggrieved persons in the past) knew that a dubious DMCA claim is the fastest way to get YouTube to act.
That was my first thought, too. Youtube pulls copyright claims immediately and then takes their sweet time reviewing them. Until then though, it stays unavailable.
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

I'm loving the new job, but it comes with a lot less freedom to, say, browse Fogbow mid-day than when I was working for myself.
- FRP

Hooray!!!!! Glad the job is working out for you! (Pun intended.)

Your employer should know Fogbow is an ESSENTIAL legal research site!!!

Have you realized yet you are working for the MAN? You are a gubbmint employee now. :mrgreen:
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
RVInit

Post by RVInit »

:lol:
There's a lot of things that need to change. One specifically? Police brutality.
--Colin Kaepernick
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

:rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:
Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

Mr520 asked me the other night:

What do you think of Amazon’s logo. What is it supposed to be?

Dunno, never given it much thought. A smile, maybe? For their Amazon Smile?

Have you ever thought it looks like Bezo’s penis?

(Spraying cold beverage) No, can’t say that I have. But….I will from now on. Thanks!
zekeb

Post by zekeb »

The Epoch Times. Has anyone else received a free sample of this asswipe "newspaper"? I received mine in the mail today. One look at the front page and I decided that it wasn't worth opening. Let's just say it's a means of communicating with the right wing nut job crowd. Of course the literate will read it to see how people think on a different galaxy.
Largo al factotum.
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

Re the Amazon logo:
Kate 520-Have you ever thought it looks like Bezo’s penis?
Every time I see it. :biggrin:
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
Uninformed

Post by Uninformed »

“Ukraine plans for women to march in high heels spark outrage”:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-57706617
If you can't lie to yourself, who can you lie to?
RVInit

Post by RVInit »

Yeah, military women marching in form fitting pants and high heels is definitely an idea that came from a man that loves to look at women.
There's a lot of things that need to change. One specifically? Police brutality.
--Colin Kaepernick

Return to “General Stuff”