2024 Hurricanes - The Aftermath

MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

neonzx suggested a separate thread for storm recoveries. We had a similar thread for Hurricane Ida. With all the destruction and massive recovery in store from Hurricane Helene, I think it merits a separate thread. I'm just labeling it for the 2024 hurricanes though.

By the way, I just made a donation to the World Central Kitchen charity. They have a good reputation and I know they are on the ground right now.
Tim Walz’ Golden Rule: Mind your own damn business!
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

:yeahthat: I was just wanting to start a rant about all those people that pop up in YT videos and claim FEMA is nowhere. It's just as the lady explains cause FEMA is not the organization that drives in with heavy equipment.

people on YT :torches:
Mrich

Post by Mrich »

Voters in western North Carolina will have more options to vote in the presidential election:
https://www.newsobserver.com/news/polit ... 94944.html

Since Asheville skews blue, this could help swing the state for Harris.
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

https://www.cnn.com/2024/10/07/politics ... index.html
The White House dinged Ron DeSantis for reports the Republican governor of Florida has refused calls from President Joe Biden and Vice President Kamala Harris as officials continue hurricane recovery efforts and prepare for another to make landfall later this week.

“It’s up to him if he wants to respond to us or not,” White House press secretary Karine Jean-Pierre told reporters at Monday’s press briefing.

Harris, a White House official told CNN, has reached out to DeSantis multiple times in the time since Hurricane Helene made landfall in his state, but the governor has not taken the vice president’s calls. When Biden visited Florida last week to survey storm damage on the ground, DeSantis declined to join him, instead holding a press conference with reporters four hours south of the area the president toured.

“We invited the governor, right, to come and survey the damage areas with the president – obviously, we were in Florida, we invited the governor of Florida to come, it was his decision not, to not attend or not be there with the president,” Jean-Pierre said. “The president has reached out around Hurricane Helene. He reached out. It is up to the governor, it is really up to the governor.”

DeSantis told reporters Monday that he had not been aware of the vice president’s reach outs, claiming at a press briefing in Tallahassee, “I didn’t know she called me.”
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Post by northland10 »

Mrich wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2024 6:19 pm Voters in western North Carolina will have more options to vote in the presidential election:
https://www.newsobserver.com/news/polit ... 94944.html

Since Asheville skews blue, this could help swing the state for Harris.
The GOP rep for NC-11 (the western part of NC) was not on the list as voting against FEMA funding. Any question how Madison would have voted?

For completeness.. I am not making a judgment call on all of Edwards's actions, just the fact that he was not on the list.
101010 :towel:
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

Ashville area, freshly posted but from 28 Sept onwards

from earlier:

Return to “General Stuff”