New York State Investigations of Trump and Related

Abandon reality, all ye who enter here. *Democracy*Under*Threat*
Azastan
Verified:

Re: New York State Investigations of Trump and Related

Post by Azastan »

Gregg wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 2:04 pm You don't get protection under Chapter 11 to re-organize a criminal enterprise.
That's really a shame, isn't it?
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
noblepa

Post by noblepa »

Gregg wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 2:04 pm The only bankruptcy available to him after a conviction would be a Chapter 7 liquidation, and I'd bet my last dollar he doesn't have enough assets selling under duress to pay off his loans. You don't get protection under Chapter 11 to re-organize a criminal enterprise.
And chapter 11 requires that you need to negotiate with your creditors and restructure the loans. I doubt if any creditors will agree to that.

Creditors can refuse to cooperate and turn a chapter 11 filing into a chapter 7 filing if they feel there is no possibility that the renegotiated loans will be repaid.
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Notaperson

Post by Notaperson »

Woah. IANAL but it sounds a little more serious than we've been led to believe.
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

filly

Post by filly »

Who is Un-indicted Co-Conspirator #1? Guesses?
chancery
Verified:

Post by chancery »

Notaperson wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 3:03 pm Woah. IANAL but it sounds a little more serious than we've been led to believe.
Yes, a bit more serious than I had feared. I'm pleased that the charges are not quite as penny-ante as I had thought they would be. Happy to have been proved wrong.

I particularly like the internal spreadsheet listing all of the under the table compensation as part of direct compensation. As Aaron Reichlin-Melnick (@ReichlinMelnick) tweeted: Moral of the story: Don't "maintain internal spreadsheets" showing that the guy you are paying off the books is being paid off the books.

I'm still a little unclear on the dollar amounts, as the prosecutors keep emphasizing the amounts of federal tax evaded. Those amounts might be relevant to a collateral issue such as the magnitude of total harm caused by the conspiracy (just a hypothetical, haven't looked at the statute). However, the amount of state tax evaded is much less than the amount of federal tax evaded, and at the end of the day the gravity of Weisselberg's state law crimes will be measured primarily by the amount of state tax involved.

And the initial twitter comments suggest that Weisselberg is facing months rather than years in prison.
zekeb
Occupation: Stable genius. One who tosses horseshit with a pitchfork and never misses the spreader.
Verified: ✅Of course

Post by zekeb »

filly wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 3:11 pm Who is Un-indicted Co-Conspirator #1? Guesses?
Someone whose last name begins with a "T"? :think:
Largo al factotum.
bob

Post by bob »

chancery wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 3:21 pmI particularly like the internal spreadsheet listing all of the under the table compensation as part of direct compensation. As Aaron Reichlin-Melnick (@ReichlinMelnick) tweeted: Moral of the story: Don't "maintain internal spreadsheets" showing that the guy you are paying off the books is being paid off the books.
As always:
Image ImageImage
much ado

Post by much ado »

chancery wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 3:21 pm
Notaperson wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 3:03 pm Woah. IANAL but it sounds a little more serious than we've been led to believe.
Yes, a bit more serious than I had feared. I'm pleased that the charges are not quite as penny-ante as I had thought they would be. Happy to have been proved wrong.

I particularly like the internal spreadsheet listing all of the under the table compensation as part of direct compensation. As Aaron Reichlin-Melnick (@ReichlinMelnick) tweeted: Moral of the story: Don't "maintain internal spreadsheets" showing that the guy you are paying off the books is being paid off the books.

I'm still a little unclear on the dollar amounts, as the prosecutors keep emphasizing the amounts of federal tax evaded. Those amounts might be relevant to a collateral issue such as the magnitude of total harm caused by the conspiracy (just a hypothetical, haven't looked at the statute). However, the amount of state tax evaded is much less than the amount of federal tax evaded, and at the end of the day the gravity of Weisselberg's state law crimes will be measured primarily by the amount of state tax involved.

And the initial twitter comments suggest that Weisselberg is facing months rather than years in prison.
If Weisselberg is convicted of NY State income tax evasion, how could the IRS fail to pursue a federal indictment?
dan1100

Post by dan1100 »

At least one reporter thinks banks might start calling their loans.

filly

Post by filly »

That's a good question much ado. It seems that "someone" quashed the SDNY investigation into the hush money payments after Cohen was indicted. I understand the OLC opinion says you can't indict a sitting president, but T**** is no longer the sitting president and there seem to be endless scandals that implicate him in actual crimes that the DOJ is apparently disinterested in pursuing. Which infuriates me. It's the people of the United States who were screwed by his tax evasion schemes.

I voted for Biden primarily to get T**** out of the White House. But I also voted to have a responsible DOJ and I cannot discern any meaningful action they are taking to clean the mountains of shit up.
Estiveo
Verified:

Post by Estiveo »

zekeb wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 3:23 pm
filly wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 3:11 pm Who is Un-indicted Co-Conspirator #1? Guesses?
Someone whose last name begins with a "T"? :think:
Image Image Image Image
filly

Post by filly »

As for Jeff Conney, recall in NYS if you appear before the grand jury you get immunity for the matters you testify about (as long as you don't perjure yourself). So I guess in that sense he could be considered a co-operator.
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

filly wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 3:39 pm That's a good question much ado. It seems that "someone" quashed the SDNY investigation into the hush money payments after Cohen was indicted. I understand the OLC opinion says you can't indict a sitting president, but T**** is no longer the sitting president and there seem to be endless scandals that implicate him in actual crimes that the DOJ is apparently disinterested in pursuing. Which infuriates me. It's the people of the United States who were screwed by his tax evasion schemes.

I voted for Biden primarily to get T**** out of the White House. But I also voted to have a responsible DOJ and I cannot discern any meaningful action they are taking to clean the mountains of shit up.
Wasn't the DOJ basically told to stand down once the OLC opinion came out? If so, the current DOJ would have basically had to start from scratch and it's only been about 6 months so far. I would think that type of investigation would take more then 6 months to conduct.
Maybenaut
Verified: ✅✅

Post by Maybenaut »

Un-indicted co-conspirator # 1 could be Eric Trump. Could also be Weisselberg, Jr. Time, I suppose, will tell.

And, of course,
bob wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 3:25 pm
As always:
The Wire never disappoints.
"Hey! We left this England place because it was bogus, and if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too!" -- Thomas Jefferson
somerset

Post by somerset »

My guess is Allen Weisselberg's #2 (I forget his name).

He's the controller who recently was given immunity for his testimony.
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

If Weisselberg and his son were being paid off books ... what are the chances that the Trump family were being paid off books?
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

somerset wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 4:29 pm

I forget where I saw that, but others are speculating that name too.
MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

Kendra wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 4:41 pm
If Weisselberg and his son were being paid off books ... what are the chances that the Trump family were being paid off books?
It's very tempting for closely held corporations to pay for expenses of their owners and the owners' families. I can't imagine Trump NOT having his company pay for his personal expenses.
Tim Walz’ Golden Rule: Mind your own damn business!
Uninformed

Post by Uninformed »

If the minions were getting a cent then the Trumps were getting a dollar.
If you can't lie to yourself, who can you lie to?
somerset

Post by somerset »

Kendra wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 4:42 pm
somerset wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 4:29 pm

I forget where I saw that, but others are speculating that name too.
Jeff McConney
Jeff McConney, a senior vice president and controller at the Trump Organization, has testified before a grand jury that was stood up by the Manhattan District Attorney's office to determine if charges should be brought against former President Trump and his company.

McConney is one of several witnesses who have testified in front of the grand jury, according to ABC News. His testimony — the first from an employee of the company — indicates that prosecutors have conducted a deep probe into the Trump Organization’s finances.

New York state law mandates that witnesses like McConney are granted immunity on the subject of their testimony. He could still be prosecuted for perjury should he lie, however.
https://thehill.com/regulation/cybersec ... al-counsel
Frater I*I
Verified: ✅Verified Devilish Hyena

Post by Frater I*I »

tek wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 7:00 am :snippity:
Allen Weisselberg, 73, went through a freight entrance to avoid cameras awaiting his arrival in lower Manhattan Thursday,
What!?!?!?! No perp walk!!!!!
"He sewed his eyes shut because he is afraid to see, He tries to tell me what I put inside of me
He's got the answers to ease my curiosity, He dreamed a god up and called it Christianity"

Trent Reznor

Return to “The Big Lie & Aftermath of The Former Guy”