roadscholar

Titan Submersible Vessel

Post by roadscholar »

Foggy wrote: Fri Sep 27, 2024 3:14 pm
roadscholar wrote: Fri Sep 27, 2024 11:47 am
zekeb wrote: Fri Sep 27, 2024 11:41 am
Off Topic
Nice to see that helmet in your avatar.
Note for Foggy: I don't seem to be able to delete this duplicate post. Am I just a dope?
No, you can only delete a post until there's another post after it. If you have a duplicate, try deleting the second one (and hope nobody puts up a new post while you do it).

I hope I explained that adequately, 'cuz I gotta leave the house.
Poyfick! Tanks!
The bitterest truth is more wholesome than the sweetest lie.
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Titan Submersible Vessel

Post by Slim Cognito »

And if you're unable to make a deletion, you can always wipe out the post and simply replace it with (duplicate) so people know to move on.
ImageImageImage x5
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: grumpy ol' geezer

Titan Submersible Vessel

Post by Foggy »

Slim Cognito wrote: Fri Sep 27, 2024 4:23 pm And if you're unable to make a deletion, you can always wipe out the post and simply replace it with (duplicate) so people know to move on.
And if I see that, I can delete anything.
I'm Foggy and I forget if I approved this message.
Sam the Centipede

Titan Submersible Vessel

Post by Sam the Centipede »

Foggy wrote: Sat Sep 28, 2024 6:36 am
Slim Cognito wrote: Fri Sep 27, 2024 4:23 pm And if you're unable to make a deletion, you can always wipe out the post and simply replace it with (duplicate) so people know to move on.
With great power comes great responsibility …
… which the Rushes certainly didn't understand. :(
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Titan Submersible Vessel

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

Foggy wrote: Sat Sep 28, 2024 6:36 am
Foggy, the Great Deleter.
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: grumpy ol' geezer

Titan Submersible Vessel

Post by Foggy »

! Message from: Foggy
I have sworn to use my vast and incomprehensible superpowers only for good.

You can't see my endless blathering in the college football section of the forum, can you?

You're very welcome. :rockon:
I'm Foggy and I forget if I approved this message.
Reality Check
Verified: ✅ Curmudgeon

Titan Submersible Vessel

Post by Reality Check »

RVInit wrote: Fri Sep 27, 2024 11:25 am Now we are getting to the meat and potatoes of the search and rescue operation. Wow. I am really impressed. Here is the first part of Capt Frederick's testimony: I apologize for typos, I'm typing as he's talking. I'm not the best typist as most of you probably already suspect.
-------------------------------------------------------

Captain Jamie Frederick, U.S. Coast Guard Sector Boston

When the call came in, they were an "overdue vessel". A Quick Response Card was put in. Two were put in for this case - Sub serach and rescue, and overdue

:snippity:
I found his testimony very interesting. The software he described was amazing. If a person or boat is lost in the water they can use the type of object, ocean currents, and winds to predict the probability of finding an object at a certain location. From that data they can direct their resources like aircraft to the areas with the highest probability of locating the missing boat, person, aircraft or whatever. Of course a submersible is a different case altogether so they had to come up with their operational plan ad hoc pretty much.

Yes, he was emphatic that had they known that OG was operating at the Titanic they would have been better prepared if something happened. He said it is routine for example that oil companies operating off shore will notify the Coast Guard that they are doing some operation that might carry a higher risk (like setting a module for a platform for example) that they might check what resources are available and even redeploy ahead of time.
p0rtia

Titan Submersible Vessel

Post by p0rtia »

Fascinating stuff, RV. You're an excellent narrator. Thanks!
RVInit

Titan Submersible Vessel

Post by RVInit »

p0rtia wrote: Sat Sep 28, 2024 11:54 am Fascinating stuff, RV. You're an excellent narrator. Thanks!
You're welcome. And thank you as well.
"It actually doesn't take much to be considered a difficult woman. That's why there are so many of us."

--Jane Goodall

Return to “Science”