Weather Alerts

Rolodex

Weather Alerts

Post by Rolodex »

Reporting in from the edge of cone of uncertainty. It seems to have wobbled a bit to the east, which is bad for Georgia, but better for us in Alabama.

It started raining here about 9am central and so far it's just a light rain, and no wind. It should get worse as the day goes on, with the worst early this evening (unless Helene wobbles again).

Y'all check in if you're in the path and let us know what's going on.

Not sure if it was an omen, but early this morning after I poured my first cup of coffee, I went to look out of a set of windows/french doors on the front of the house. On one window was a snail, scooching his/her way up the window. Meanwhile out on the driveway, there was a turtle "scurrying" along. A race of the slows.
Do the right thing. It will gratify some people and astonish the rest. - Mark Twain
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: grumpy ol' geezer

Weather Alerts

Post by Foggy »

Dry as a bone in my neck of the woods, but not for much longer.

bone.jpg
bone.jpg (222.71 KiB) Viewed 269 times
I'm Foggy and I forget if I approved this message.
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Weather Alerts

Post by Slim Cognito »

Friends in the Cape Coral/Fort Myers area just told me it was still dry but the winds are picking up.
ImageImageImage x5
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Weather Alerts

Post by neonzx »

Wind is steady around 30mph with gusts around 60mph.

Rain not heavy.

The School District of Lee county has announced they will reopen tomorrow on the regular schedule.
Volkonski
Verified:

Weather Alerts

Post by Volkonski »

Helene has become Cat 4.
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Rolodex

Weather Alerts

Post by Rolodex »

It seems to have slipped a bit more east again. It's barely been sprinkling here all afternoon. I expect rain and wind to pick up later this evening.

The Weather Channel app on my Roku has a thing called "Florida Landfall Cams." There are 4 wind)ows on the screen, live cams from Sarasota, Cedar Key and Mallacha and the 4th with Weather Chan people (it's the normal WC channel. They're interviewing DeSatan right now so I have it muted. Earlier today some moron was running up to one of the cams with his big ass trump flag. With waves splashing over him.

Hope everyone got out of the serious surge areas. I saw a post on my fb that Taylor Co (Perry, FL) told residents who stayed after a mandatory evac to write their name and SS on their arms with a marker. They had even provided buses to help folks leave (it's a high poverty area).
Do the right thing. It will gratify some people and astonish the rest. - Mark Twain
Chilidog

Weather Alerts

Post by Chilidog »

The latest image

IMG_2896.jpeg
IMG_2896.jpeg (399.41 KiB) Viewed 195 times
Chilidog

Weather Alerts

Post by Chilidog »

IMG_2897.jpeg
IMG_2897.jpeg (241.13 KiB) Viewed 192 times
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Weather Alerts

Post by neonzx »

Rolodex wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2024 6:48 pm Hope everyone got out of the serious surge areas. I saw a post on my fb that Taylor Co (Perry, FL) told residents who stayed after a mandatory evac to write their name and SS on their arms with a marker. They had even provided buses to help folks leave (it's a high poverty area).
I recall earlier today that that the storm surge was unsurvivable. Or similar word. As much as 20ft of storm. Surge. :shock:
Rolodex

Weather Alerts

Post by Rolodex »

...and now there seems to be a disturbance below the Yucatan peninsula, where Helene was born. :cantlook:
Shizzle Popped
Verified:

Weather Alerts

Post by Shizzle Popped »

Hope everybody in the path stays safe and dry.

We're just up for a little collateral damage here in Indy but they're still forecasting 50 mph gusts and a couple of inches of rain. My wife was supposed to come back from my dad's outside of St. Louis tomorrow afternoon but has decided to wait until Saturday. She got caught in a storm earlier in the year and watched a couple of semis get blown off the road. She's understandably reluctant to drive into another storm.
"Let us tenderly and kindly cherish, therefore, the means of knowledge. Let us dare to read, think, speak, and write."
John Adams
AndyinPA
Verified:

Weather Alerts

Post by AndyinPA »

Smart lady!
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
MN-Skeptic

Weather Alerts

Post by MN-Skeptic »

This may have been posted at some time, but I’ll share it here. A map of the U.S. showing the past 24 hours rainfall. I have a sister in the North Carolina area which is getting a lot of the rain.

https://maps.cocorahs.org/
Tim Walz’ Golden Rule: Mind your own damn business!
RVInit

Weather Alerts

Post by RVInit »

It's getting blustery outside now. windy and we've had a little rain so far. I am watching the trees blowing around.
"It actually doesn't take much to be considered a difficult woman. That's why there are so many of us."

--Jane Goodall
Volkonski
Verified:

Weather Alerts

Post by Volkonski »

Helene up to 140 mph.
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Rolodex

Weather Alerts

Post by Rolodex »

The jog east has made everything pretty much bypass us. We even had our supper club meet and it was like a slightly rainy night; no standing water or flooded streets (the ones that usually flood in a downpour). Little to no wind, but that might pick up later.

Hope everyone here keeps their power!
AndyinPA
Verified:

Weather Alerts

Post by AndyinPA »

Good news for you!
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
MN-Skeptic

Weather Alerts

Post by MN-Skeptic »

There's a pediatric emergency room doctor I've recently started following on Instagram. She lives in the Tampa area and knew that there was a strong possibility that her house would be affected by the storm surge. Her children are at her parents while she is at the hospital for the duration. They moved a lot of things out of the house earlier today and installed a camera inside and outside to monitor. Yeah... her house is flooding.

Her Instagram site -

Her Facebook page - https://www.facebook.com/drbeachgem10
Tim Walz’ Golden Rule: Mind your own damn business!
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Weather Alerts

Post by RTH10260 »

Hurricane Helene live tracker: Storm makes landfall as Category 4 in Florida, latest updates and projected path for Georgia

Yahoo News Staff
Updated Fri, September 27, 2024 at 5:42 AM GMT+2

Hurricane Helene made landfall Thursday night in Florida's Big Bend coast as a monster Category 4 storm, lashing the state with winds up to 140 mph and life-threatening storm surges.

More than 900,000 customers were already without power in Florida, as the exceptionally large storm brought damaging conditions hours ahead of its arrival. Flooding was reported up and down Florida's coast, from Fort Myers to Clearwater, with record surge levels reported across the Tampa area. Storm surges up to 20 feet had been predicted for the storm.

Officials have been sounding the alarm for days, urging residents to heed evacuation orders and not underestimate the storm. A state of emergency was declared in Florida, Georgia, South Carolina, and North Carolina.

Helene will bring far-reaching effects beyond Florida, with the storm expected to carry heavy rains, strong winds, and the potential for flash flooding as far as the Appalachian Mountains.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/live/hurrica ... 22132.html

Return to “General Stuff”