Weather Alerts

neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Weather Alerts

Post by neonzx »

It is looking like it will stay offshore on it's current track off SW Florida. It will still bring winds and rain.
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Weather Alerts

Post by northland10 »

If that hooks a bit (i.e., the ball goes more to the left), that is going to get near Mexico Beach, which was whacked by Michael not long ago. A bit of a slice would be preferred as that would send it into that pocket between Tallahassee and Perry, where nothing is right on the shoreline. The would provide a buffer from the storm surge. From what I can tell, it is pretty heavy with trees so the wind would be an issue for the small hamlets inland.
101010 :towel:
Rolodex

Weather Alerts

Post by Rolodex »

Yeah we're watching closely. We're right in the middle of that cone. It looks like it may veer a bit east of us (sorry, Cedar Key), but there's still a lot of time for things to change once it gears up in the Gulf. In 2018, Michael zoomed from 1 to a 5 in about 3 days and moved quickly. It pretty much destroyed our lake house in the Panhandle - 50 miles inland. Our home in AL was fine, never even lost power.

Spending the next couple of days getting the boat off the boat lift in the dock and into the garage and the waverunner inside, too. Also, the outdoor furniture has to be crammed into the house. *sigh*
Do the right thing. It will gratify some people and astonish the rest. - Mark Twain
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Weather Alerts

Post by RTH10260 »

:twisted: nothing that a sharpie cannot correct, or just nuke it ;)
Volkonski
Verified:

Weather Alerts

Post by Volkonski »

We have Tropical Storm Helene.

It is now forecast to come ashore on the Florida panhandle as a major hurricane on Thursday.
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Rolodex

Weather Alerts

Post by Rolodex »

RTH10260 wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2024 8:54 pm :twisted: nothing that a sharpie cannot correct, or just nuke it ;)
Yeah, last time, he drew that extra bubble on the forecast map, taking in our location. Thank goodness he's an idiot and that hurricane didn't affect us. I have no idea why he'd want to include a state that wasn't in the forecast. What's the point?
Do the right thing. It will gratify some people and astonish the rest. - Mark Twain
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Weather Alerts

Post by Slim Cognito »

I think he misspoke but could never admit he misspoke so he had to bend the hurricane to his will.
ImageImageImage x5
AndyinPA
Verified:

Weather Alerts

Post by AndyinPA »

Slim Cognito wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2024 1:07 pm I think he misspoke but could never admit he misspoke so he had to bend the hurricane to his will.
Yes, I think he had mentioned Alabama incorrectly and couldn't stand to be called out for it.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Rolodex

Weather Alerts

Post by Rolodex »

AndyinPA wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2024 1:15 pm
Slim Cognito wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2024 1:07 pm I think he misspoke but could never admit he misspoke so he had to bend the hurricane to his will.
Yes, I think he had mentioned Alabama incorrectly and couldn't stand to be called out for it.
That was from before Georgia was on his radar (probably only showed up after the 2020 election) and he didn't know the difference between Alabama and Georgia (us southern states all run together). I feel sure geography isn't a strong suit for him.
northland10

Weather Alerts

Post by northland10 »

Rolodex wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2024 1:19 pm ...and he didn't know the difference between Alabama and Georgia (us southern states all run together). I feel sure geography isn't a strong suit for him.
Y'all talk funny.
Rolodex

Weather Alerts

Post by Rolodex »

northland10 wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2024 1:41 pm
Rolodex wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2024 1:19 pm ...and he didn't know the difference between Alabama and Georgia (us southern states all run together). I feel sure geography isn't a strong suit for him.
Y'all talk funny.
Actually, the number of accents down here is really something. I grew up in Houston, which is diverse but still southern (y'all and fixin' to used even in the big city, plus it was part of east Texas which is really deep south). But when we moved here, I discovered a bunch of new expressions I'd never heard before as well as pronunciations and different accents.

Some I call "southern" and some I'd call "country" or "hick." The Southern is softer and more like the fake accents you hear (Vivien Leigh in gone with the wind). What's really funny is when our community theater does a show set in the south and people start ramping up the accent. I'm like...y'all...just talk. You already sound like that!

But different parts of even this small state has varying accents. It's really interesting. When we had an out of town visitor once, we introduced them to our neighbors. Our visitor said it took a few minutes to completely understand our neighbors - but that it was like a jump rope where once you jump in, you have the rhythm. LOL
Volkonski
Verified:

Weather Alerts

Post by Volkonski »

Hoping for the best for Florida Fogbowers!

The latest Helene forecasts are scary. :eek: Might be Cat 4 at landfall. Deadly storm surge. Rain and flooding all the way up to Georgia and the Carolinas.
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Rolodex

Weather Alerts

Post by Rolodex »

Looks like it might wobble west, which is bad for me, but the east side is gonna get tagged. Poor Cedar Key - 3rd storm in 13 months.

Expecting 6" of rain or so here, but our place in WNC is expecting 8-12! And Atlanta is getting hit! Gee whiz these storms are so crazy now.
Got my favorite storm treats stashed - croissants and Nutella!
MN-Skeptic

Weather Alerts

Post by MN-Skeptic »

I was looking at the rain forecasts for Atlanta and near Asheville, NC. I have sisters in each city. At the moment, my weather app is predicting 6½" of rain total for Atlanta and 10" of my sister in western NC. Oh my!
Tim Walz’ Golden Rule: Mind your own damn business!
AndyinPA
Verified:

Weather Alerts

Post by AndyinPA »

The Weather Channel is all over it.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: grumpy ol' geezer

Weather Alerts

Post by Foggy »

Here we're only supposed to get an inch and a half, nothing we can't handle. Y'all in flood areas be careful!
I'm Foggy and I forget if I approved this message.
Rolodex

Weather Alerts

Post by Rolodex »

I think my structure(s) will be fine. It's the being without power for a long time that's a PITA.

No one needs to feel the least bit sorry for me, but all 3 of my houses are in the "cone." LOL The one in FL panhandle got zapped by Michael in 2018 and we had to basically rebuild. We usually miss the worst of things here in AL (plus my house is rated to 120 mph). Our place west of Asheville is in the zone of 10" or so of rain. It won't flood but that much rain just isn't any good. It's mainly a short term rental but no one's scheduled in this week.

I'm downloading some stuff to watch in case the internet goes down. I'll have power, somewhat, from my whole house generator (you've seen those Generac ads on the weather channel? We put one in when we built in 2010). So I have fridge, microwave and some outlets (coffee!! CPAP!!) but I can't control the internet. If cell towers still work, then I can hot spot stuff with my phone.

I feel so bad for the people on the FL coast; they've really gotten wollaped, and it's their primary residences.
northland10

Weather Alerts

Post by northland10 »

Tyndall Air Force Base sent their F-35s to Nevada (Nellis).

https://www.airandspaceforces.com/tynda ... ut-of-way/

Some F-22s were damaged during Michael so they probably don't want to lose a bunch of 82.5 million dollar planes (which is still waayyyyy cheaper than an F-22).
northland10

Weather Alerts

Post by northland10 »

Rolodex wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2024 4:13 pm I feel so bad for the people on the FL coast; they've really gotten wollaped, and it's their primary residences.
While temp and humidity are my primary reasons for finding no interest in moving to Florida and nearby areas, hurricanes are also on the list. Yes, we get tornados in my area, but in the grand scheme, they are far less common to hit in the same place multiple times (and no storm surge).

People would say they would not live up where I used to live because of the snow. Snow is easy to deal with. It is far less an issue than hurricanes or tornados blowing everything away. Also, less heat and humidity up north.
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Weather Alerts

Post by neonzx »

And the waiting is the hardest part
around 2am they say for south Florida.

Probably will be sleeping.
pipistrelle

Weather Alerts

Post by pipistrelle »

northland10 wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2024 9:14 pm
Rolodex wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2024 4:13 pm I feel so bad for the people on the FL coast; they've really gotten wollaped, and it's their primary residences.
While temp and humidity are my primary reasons for finding no interest in moving to Florida and nearby areas, hurricanes are also on the list. Yes, we get tornados in my area, but in the grand scheme, they are far less common to hit in the same place multiple times (and no storm surge).

People would say they would not live up where I used to live because of the snow. Snow is easy to deal with. It is far less an issue than hurricanes or tornados blowing everything away. Also, less heat and humidity up north.
Skeeters the size of B-52s. And black flies with teeth.

(I'm a fan of up north, even if I lose blood and chunks of flesh.)
northland10

Weather Alerts

Post by northland10 »

pipistrelle wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2024 9:18 pm Skeeters the size of B-52s. And black flies with teeth.

(I'm a fan of up north, even if I lose blood and chunks of flesh.)
I was north, but not as far as the UP, so small children were not at risk of being carried off by skeeters. There are signs in Mackinac City and St. Ignace that tell drivers firewood and black flies are not to be transported over the bridge.
Rolodex

Weather Alerts

Post by Rolodex »

I've lived in the hot and humid my whole life (except for a 3 year stint in Nashville) and I hate it. I hate daylight savings time because it's hot later in the evening. I pretty much don't go outside during the summer.
poplove
Verified: ✅💚💙💜☮️💐🌈⚽️🥥🌴✅

Weather Alerts

Post by poplove »

northland10 wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2024 9:09 pm Tyndall Air Force Base sent their F-35s to Nevada (Nellis).

https://www.airandspaceforces.com/tynda ... ut-of-way/

Some F-22s were damaged during Michael so they probably don't want to lose a bunch of 82.5 million dollar planes (which is still waayyyyy cheaper than an F-22).
And Las Vegas weather is in the low 100s for the next week and no rain in the forecast.
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Weather Alerts

Post by RTH10260 »

Helene now projected as Category 4 hurricane, could get stronger: Updates

John Bacon, Cheryl McCloud, Jeff Burlew, Christopher Cann, Dinah Voyles Pulver, Jorge L. Ortiz and Minnah Arshad, USA TODAY
Updated Thu, September 26, 2024 at 9:58 AM GMT+2

TALLAHASSEE, Fla. – Hurricane Helene is now predicted to reach Florida as a Category 4 hurricane, part of a frightening forecast of 130-mph winds and high storm surge that brings a dire scenario for hundreds of miles of the state's coast as entire communities are forced to flee.

Helene reached hurricane status Wednesday and was forecast to grow more powerful and dangerous before making landfall Thursday evening on Florida's Gulf Coast as a devastating Category 4 storm, up from an expectation earlier Wednesday that it would arrive as a Category 3 hurricane.

"Weakening is expected after landfall, but Helene's fast forward speed will allow strong, damaging winds, especially in gusts, to penetrate well inland across the southeastern United States, including over the higher terrain of the southern Appalachians," the National Hurricane Center said.

The NHC warned that "a catastrophic and deadly storm surge is likely along portions of the Florida Big Bend coast, where inundation could reach as high as 20 feet above ground level, along with destructive waves.''

This is the “worst case for the Tallahassee region and Big Bend of Florida,” said Craig Fugate, former administrator of the Federal Emergency Management Agency and a former director of the Florida Division of Emergency Management. “Storm surge will most likely set records along the coast.”

The highest landfall probability is somewhere along the eastern part of the Florida Panhandle − possibly the Big Bend area, the curve of Florida's peninsula around the Gulf of Mexico − late Thursday, AccuWeather forecasters said. Near where Helene makes landfall, general rainfall of 8-12 inches is expected, with 2 feet of rain possible in isolated areas.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/tropical-sto ... 24219.html
(original USA Today)

Return to “General Stuff”