tek

Re: New York State Investigations of Trump and Related

Post by tek »

:waiting:
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

:popcorn: :bunny: :cheer2: :cheer1: :groupdance:
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

If that's starting with the little fish, I'm stocking up on bait.
ImageImageImage x4
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

I don't suppose it will be televised? I've got popcorn and everything.

Also, I don't have a subscription to WSJ so only the first four paragraphs are available to me. Are there any good nuggets buried deeper?
ImageImageImage x4
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

I'm guessing Weisselberg thinks he's hidden the bodies deep enough the jury will never find them. Shirley he knows trump ain't coming back to pardon him.
ImageImageImage x4
LM K
Occupation: Professor Shrinky Lady, brainwashing young adults daily!

Post by LM K »

Slim Cognito wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 12:14 pm I don't suppose it will be televised? I've got popcorn and everything.

Also, I don't have a subscription to WSJ so only the first four paragraphs are available to me. Are there any good nuggets buried deeper?
I was able to read the article, but when I went back to copy/paste, I hit the paywall.

The rest of the article talks about how charges against Weisselberg and the Trump Org are the first dominos to fall in a much larger investigation.

According to CNN, Weisselberg's attorney recently told investigators that Weisselberg will not cooperate with the investigation. I suspect that "recently" means on Mon or Tues of this week.
"The jungle is no place for a cellist."
From "Take the Money and Run"
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Post by northland10 »

How long until Trump starts saying that he did not really know Weisselberg well or what he was doing and that Weisselberg is a loser?
101010 :towel:
Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

I suspect that "recently" means on Mon or Tues of this week.
I googled this on Monday of this week; the news was then about a week old.
Uninformed

Post by Uninformed »

It seems probable that without cooperation from someone inside the DFO’s “mob” it becomes more unlikely that any prosecutions will result in him suffering severe penalties. Obviously where there is any incontrovertible documentary evidence of offences the odds improve, but that’s what expensive counsel (and convoluted financial laws/regulations) are for.
If you can't lie to yourself, who can you lie to?
noblepa

Post by noblepa »

Slim Cognito wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 1:16 pm I'm guessing Weisselberg thinks he's hidden the bodies deep enough the jury will never find them. Shirley he knows trump ain't coming back to pardon him.
Besides, it is the State of New York that is charging Weisselberg, not the federal government. Even as President, TFG couldn't pardon him, although it wouldn't surprise if he thought he could.
noblepa

Post by noblepa »

If they indict Weisselberg and a few more Trump Organization employees, does that give them grounds to declare it a "corrupt organization" within the meaning of the RICO statutes?

What kind of penalties would a successful RICO prosecution lead to?
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

noblepa wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 3:00 pm If they indict Weisselberg and a few more Trump Organization employees, does that give them grounds to declare it a "corrupt organization" within the meaning of the RICO statutes?

What kind of penalties would a successful RICO prosecution lead to?
My outsiders view is that it takes more than a couple of people in HR who promised perks and a couple of people in Accounting who ought to have know the IRS rules better, to designate a corrupt organization. Workers who onyl take promised benefits hardly count imho. On the other hand if the benefits would only benefit those in the upper ranks, one could assume they knew better, but who complains when the company vouches with the respective IRS forms.
chancery
Verified:

Post by chancery »

noblepa wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 3:00 pm If they indict Weisselberg and a few more Trump Organization employees, does that give them grounds to declare it a "corrupt organization" within the meaning of the RICO statutes?
No.

(Long before we had heard about @popehat, I framed my own rule regarding RICO. The answer is always "no.")
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

Weisselburg's ex DIL was on CNN. Still flakey as ever. I don't know why they bother, but if anyone's interested, she said he wouldn't turn on trump because trump was holding something over his head. It could be true. There's a reason he's not saving his own skin, or possibly that of his son, but I wouldn't bet anything on her word.
ImageImageImage x4
Gregg

Post by Gregg »

wavey davey wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 9:22 am
sugar magnolia wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 9:23 pm Oh no, part of my fantasy is that any and all assets, current and future, are seized to pay off his fines and debts.
When Jeffrey Skilling went down, I remember his wife whining about having to sell off their assets. She said "We're down to our last 6 houses". Wow, talk about tone deaf.

That was Kenny Lay's wife, but yeah.
Supreme Commander, Imperial Illuminati Air Force
:dog:

You don't have to consent, but I'm gonna tase you anyway.
John Thomas8

Post by John Thomas8 »

Wake me when they start sending these dirtballs to ADX Florence. It's all bullshit, nothing of consequence happens to these mutts.
Frater I*I
Verified: ✅Verified Devilish Hyena

Post by Frater I*I »

John Thomas8 wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 5:03 pm Wake me when they start sending these dirtballs to ADX Florence. It's all bullshit, nothing of consequence happens to these mutts.
I'm forced to agree...
"He sewed his eyes shut because he is afraid to see, He tries to tell me what I put inside of me
He's got the answers to ease my curiosity, He dreamed a god up and called it Christianity"

Trent Reznor
Gregg

Post by Gregg »

Slim Cognito wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 4:06 pm Weisselburg's ex DIL was on CNN. Still flakey as ever. I don't know why they bother, but if anyone's interested, she said he wouldn't turn on trump because trump was holding something over his head. It could be true. There's a reason he's not saving his own skin, or possibly that of his son, but I wouldn't bet anything on her word.
She's an attention whore. She makes sure to say "I'm willing to testify!" every time she gets in front of a camera. Sounds very much to me that no one has asked her to testify, because she's not credible and she's a little hurt about that.
Supreme Commander, Imperial Illuminati Air Force
:dog:

You don't have to consent, but I'm gonna tase you anyway.
Maybenaut
Verified: ✅✅

Post by Maybenaut »

New York grand jury returns criminal indictments against Trump’s company and its CFO, the first from prosecutors probing the former president’s business dealings
NEW YORK — A grand jury in Manhattan filed criminal indictments Wednesday against former president Donald Trump's company and its longtime chief financial officer, according to two people familiar with the indictments.

The indictments against the Trump Organization and its CFO, Allen Weisselberg, will remain sealed until Thursday afternoon, leaving the specific charges against them unclear. Earlier Wednesday, people familiar with the case said the charges were related to allegations of unpaid taxes on benefits for Trump Organization executives.

Weisselberg is expected to surrender Thursday morning at the office of Manhattan District Attorney Cyrus R. Vance Jr. (D), two people familiar with the plan said. He is expected to be arraigned later in the day in front of a state court judge. The Trump Organization will also be arraigned, represented in court by one of its attorneys.

The criminal charges against the Trump Organization and Weisselberg are the first to result from the investigations by Vance and New York Attorney General Letitia James (D) and represent a dramatic turn in the long-running probes.

Attorneys for both the Trump Organization and Weisselberg declined to comment Wednesday.

Spokespeople for Vance and James — who teamed up to investigate Trump’s business dealings this year after years of working on separate tracks — also declined to comment.

Vance did not respond to a question from a reporter as he left his office Wednesday afternoon. The people familiar with the indictments spoke on the condition of anonymity to disclose private actions.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics ... story.html
"Hey! We left this England place because it was bogus, and if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too!" -- Thomas Jefferson
John Thomas8

Post by John Thomas8 »

Maybenaut wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 7:56 pm New York grand jury returns criminal indictments against Trump’s company and its CFO, the first from prosecutors probing the former president’s business dealings
NEW YORK — A grand jury in Manhattan filed criminal indictments Wednesday against former president Donald Trump's company and its longtime chief financial officer, according to two people familiar with the indictments.

The indictments against the Trump Organization and its CFO, Allen Weisselberg, will remain sealed until Thursday afternoon, leaving the specific charges against them unclear. Earlier Wednesday, people familiar with the case said the charges were related to allegations of unpaid taxes on benefits for Trump Organization executives.

Weisselberg is expected to surrender Thursday morning at the office of Manhattan District Attorney Cyrus R. Vance Jr. (D), two people familiar with the plan said. He is expected to be arraigned later in the day in front of a state court judge. The Trump Organization will also be arraigned, represented in court by one of its attorneys.

The criminal charges against the Trump Organization and Weisselberg are the first to result from the investigations by Vance and New York Attorney General Letitia James (D) and represent a dramatic turn in the long-running probes.

Attorneys for both the Trump Organization and Weisselberg declined to comment Wednesday.

Spokespeople for Vance and James — who teamed up to investigate Trump’s business dealings this year after years of working on separate tracks — also declined to comment.

Vance did not respond to a question from a reporter as he left his office Wednesday afternoon. The people familiar with the indictments spoke on the condition of anonymity to disclose private actions.
Meh, so what? It's not like there's going to be anything of consequence happen from these charges.
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

John Thomas8 wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 8:12 pm
Maybenaut wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 7:56 pm New York grand jury returns criminal indictments against Trump’s company and its CFO, the first from prosecutors probing the former president’s business dealings

Meh, so what? It's not like there's going to be anything of consequence happen from these charges.
Then why do you keep wasting your time reading and commenting?
John Thomas8

Post by John Thomas8 »

sugar magnolia wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 8:19 pm
Then why do you keep wasting your time reading and commenting?
Because it's interesting in a vaguely sad sorta way to observe folks that think the law applies to everyone equally.
Luke
Location: @orly_licious With Pete Buttigieg and the other "open and defiant homosexuals" --Bryan Fischer AFA

Post by Luke »

Glenn Kirschner @glennkirschner2 49m
Happy Indictment Eve Everyone: NY DA Vance/Grand Jury Set to Indict Trump Organization & Trump's CFO Allen Weisselberg. Tomorrow is the opening bell in the long fight for justice. And #JusticeMatters

Brian Tyler Cohen @briantylercohen 18m
BREAKING: A grand jury has indicted the Trump Organization and its CFO, Allen Weisselberg, over allegations of unpaid taxes on benefits for Trump Organization executives. Weisselberg will turn himself in tomorrow.

I Smoked Trump Org Criminal Charges @BlackKnight10k 3m
Trump Organization is officially indicted. Meanwhile, Hillary Clinton is sitting at home sipping her tea and scrolling through her emails.

:thumbsup:

:lol:

Lt Root Beer of the Mighty 699th. Fogbow 💙s titular Mama June in Fogbow's Favourite Show™ Mama June: From Not To Hot! Fogbow's Theme Song™ Edith Massey's "I Got The Evidence!" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5jDHZd0JAg

Return to “The Big Lie & Aftermath of The Former Guy”