It sucks growing old

W. Kevin Vicklund

It sucks growing old

Post by W. Kevin Vicklund »

Why y'all postin' a picture of me at age 16?
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: grumpy ol' geezer

It sucks growing old

Post by Foggy »

So on a day when horking up the entire contents of my stomach wasn't even close to the worst thing that happened to me this morning, I quit. I just quit.

In the morning, this will be a totally different world. :towel:
I'm Foggy and I forget if I approved this message.
June bug

It sucks growing old

Post by June bug »

:bighug: :bighug:
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

It sucks growing old

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

Foggy - :bighug: :bighug: :bighug: :bighug:
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
Foggy
Dick Tater

It sucks growing old

Post by Foggy »

Thanks, ladies, today is a better day. :biggrin:
Slim Cognito
Verified:

It sucks growing old

Post by Slim Cognito »

Don't you hate it when you go to a blues jam and your apple watch keeps bitching the music is too loud?
ImageImageImage x5
Maybenaut
Verified: ✅✅

It sucks growing old

Post by Maybenaut »

:lol:
"Hey! We left this England place because it was bogus, and if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too!" -- Thomas Jefferson
jez
Verified: ✅ Medicated

It sucks growing old

Post by jez »

So the last few weeks, my right hip has decided it doesn't want to do what a hip is supposed to do. It hurts, to say the least. Finally got to an Ortho for x-rays. Good news is nothing is broken, no tendons are torn, there doesn't seem to be a large amount of swelling around the bursa, etc.

It's arthritis. In my hip. So... Celebrex, hot/cold therapy, gentle exercise to help with mobility, and my trusty cane for bad days.
“What is better ? to be born good or to overcome your evil nature through great effort ?”

~Paarthurnax
AndyinPA
Verified:

It sucks growing old

Post by AndyinPA »

:bighug:
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
p0rtia

It sucks growing old

Post by p0rtia »

:bighug:
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

It sucks growing old

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

Dammit, jez! :bighug: :bighug: :bighug:
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
Foggy
Dick Tater

It sucks growing old

Post by Foggy »

Yeah, that's not cool, my friend. What about steroids, and I don't say that facetiously, because steroids have helped me a lot with similar maladies. My surgeon sent me a list of things to try to alleviate pain - it even included aromatherapy, which, it's true I am an aging ex-hippie, but :nope: :talktothehand:

And I'm also gonna suggest a pain management doctor, if they can't fix the underlying issue.

Love you, Jez. :bighug:
jez

It sucks growing old

Post by jez »

Thanks all.

Arthritis runs in the family, on both sides. It was really just a matter of time. I was thinking my hands would go first, actually. My paternal grandmother and maternal great-grandmother both had arthritis so bad in their hands they basically became claws.

As for steroid therapy: I have a very low tolerance for steroids, be it injected, creams, or oral. Those would be a last ditch effort. For now, the NSAIDs are helping, as is the Aspercreme and Icy/Hot. Doesn't totally kill the pain, but I'm able to walk decently without relying heavily on my cane.

Just another pain factor that I will learn to tolerate.
“What is better ? to be born good or to overcome your evil nature through great effort ?”

~Paarthurnax
sugar magnolia

It sucks growing old

Post by sugar magnolia »

jez wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2024 12:33 pm Thanks all.

Arthritis runs in the family, on both sides. It was really just a matter of time. I was thinking my hands would go first, actually. My paternal grandmother and maternal great-grandmother both had arthritis so bad in their hands they basically became claws.

As for steroid therapy: I have a very low tolerance for steroids, be it injected, creams, or oral. Those would be a last ditch effort. For now, the NSAIDs are helping, as is the Aspercreme and Icy/Hot. Doesn't totally kill the pain, but I'm able to walk decently without relying heavily on my cane.

Have you tried Voltaren?
jez

It sucks growing old

Post by jez »

sugar magnolia wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2024 1:45 pm Have you tried Voltaren?
I haven't, but I'll take a look at it. Thanks!

~Paarthurnax
W. Kevin Vicklund

It sucks growing old

Post by W. Kevin Vicklund »

sugar magnolia wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2024 1:45 pm
jez wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2024 12:33 pm Thanks all.

Have you tried Voltaren?
Second the Voltaren. I just picked up a prescription for Dr. Vicklund of a higher dosage than the OTC version of that medication - it helps her a lot. (But as with all things medical, make sure it is right for you and any other medications you take)
p0rtia

It sucks growing old

Post by p0rtia »

FWIW, I also use a lidocaine 4% roll-on. Icy Hot makes one. I buy the generic from amazon, a couple at a time. I also have a prescription for the diclofenac sodium (Voltaren), as it is pricey.

I keep both around, because various parts of me respond better to one or the other.
keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

It sucks growing old

Post by keith »

jez wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2024 11:16 pm
sugar magnolia wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2024 1:45 pm Have you tried Voltaren?
I haven't, but I'll take a look at it. Thanks!
Yeah works pretty well for me. I just use OTC pills.

For me I just use one or two before bed, very occasionally when my hip or back is acting up making it difficult to sleep, or when I've had a particularly busy physical day. I'm pretty stoic about the pain in my hip (arthritis/ bone on bone/ screaming for a bionic replacement) and back arthritis (lower back/ neck), but it does make it hard to sleep sometimes. I am really mindful of not getting addicted, dependent, or tolerant to any pain medication. Nurefen works for me.

The hip was shot full of replacement lubricant about 18 months ago and I can walk pretty good, but it is getting hard to bend enough to trim my toenails or put on socks even. I think its time to see the surgeon for hip number two, but I'm not sure if I'd be overinvesting (a new hip will cost me about $AUD3000 all up this time I think) and the recovery will probably be much longer than the previous one 15 years ago.

P.S. Not only but also, my GP recommended Voltaren gel when I banged my shin and the pain moved down to my ankle. Not sure it really did any good to be honest, but at least I felt I was doing something worth while.
Be assured that a walk through the ocean of most souls Would scarcely get your feet wet

Return to “Whatever Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”