Kamala Harris for President - 2024

Ben-Prime
Verified: ✅MamaSaysI'mBonaFide

Post by Ben-Prime »

Off Topic
MN-Skeptic wrote: Sat Aug 10, 2024 3:26 pm
neonzx wrote: Sat Aug 10, 2024 2:45 pm 90s. On a cable TV series (not the major networks). Crappy actor.
Actually, syndicated, not cable. I know because my husband and I used to watch Hercules, the show Sorbo was in. It was a fun sort of action hero show with some good humor. It didn't need good acting. It was just fun. Plus Sorbo was a Minnesota native, so there was that. It also created the spin-off Xena, Warrior Princess and both my husband and I loved that show.

Once upon a time you never would have learned how awful certain people - actors, writers, etc. - were. The internet changed that. It affects the authors I read, the TV shows I watch, and the movies I go to now.
To be fair, it also amplified the voices of some interesting and good people. The Lucy Lawless tweets noted above mention John Fugelsang. He's a great example. John was one of my RAs at NYU in the late 1980s. He's a niche celebrity now, and respected in that niche, but 35 years ago he was a late teens/early 20something college kid helping other college kids grow up and safely explore their expanded boundaries. I will probably never speak to him again in my life and he will never remember me, but I will never forget and always love that man for the example he set for me when I so desperately needed one.
But the sunshine aye shall light the sky,
As round and round we run;
And the truth shall ever come uppermost,
And justice shall be done.

- Charles Mackay, "Eternal Justice"
MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

I’m hoping for an uber Blue Wave so that President Harris can get real change enacted.
Tim Walz’ Golden Rule: Mind your own damn business!
sad-cafe

Post by sad-cafe »

I live in Kansas in a blue dot around a sea of red.

I hope they come here..but am not holding my breath

Obama came to ElDorado in 08 but that is where his grandparents lived...

Just once I would love a huge Dem rally like that in Wichita. We have an arena that holds 20 thousand, another right outside Wichita that holds 15 thousand

not to mention the Koch Arena that houses WICHITA STATE BASKETBall

there is a place!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

Resume18 wrote: Sat Aug 10, 2024 2:30 pm Who is Kevin Sorbo?
It's fashionable to downplay Hercules these days because people want stuff like that to go away, but seriously, Herc was a very successful show. It was franchised around the world and went on for 6 seasons. It was pretty much the "Friends" or "the Big Bang Theory" of the era. And he pushed it's success into greenlighting a Pretty decent Sci Fi Show that went on for 2 seasons.

I mean I didn't much like Andromeda as it was very much the Kevin Sorbo show. But, sorry guys, the guy was a successful actor on a good, light, campy, and extremely successful take on Greek Mythology. Snarling about it now is just rewriting history in a Trumpian fashion. You can leave the guy his successes AND disagree with his opinions and not even like him very much. That's healthy.
Hic sunt dracones
Dr. Ken

Post by Dr. Ken »

Suranis wrote: Sat Aug 10, 2024 10:26 pm
It's fashionable to downplay Hercules these days because people want stuff like that to go away, but seriously, Herc was a very successful show. It was franchised around the world and went on for 6 seasons. It was pretty much the "Friends" or "the Big Bang Theory" of the era. And he pushed it's success into greenlighting a Pretty decent Sci Fi Show that went on for 2 seasons.

I mean I didn't much like Andromeda as it was very much the Kevin Sorbo show. But, sorry guys, the guy was a successful actor on a good, light, campy, and extremely successful take on Greek Mythology. Snarling about it now is just rewriting history in a Trumpian fashion. You can leave the guy his successes AND disagree with his opinions and not even like him very much. That's healthy.
I actually used to watch it when I was younger then Andromeda. Until he made kull the Conquerer. Which was originally going to be a Conan movie. Ugh it was god awful
ImageImagePhilly Boondoggle
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

Some of us genuinely didn’t know who he was.
poplove
Verified: ✅💚💙💜☮️💐🌈⚽️🥥🌴✅

Post by poplove »

@TrumpsTaxes
Incredible.

Total donations across ActBlue have now reached *$500,000,000* in the three weeks since Kamala announced her candidacy.

You read that right:

We've raised A HALF A BILLION DOLLARS for Democrats and Democratic causes since July 21st.
Reddog

Post by Reddog »

pipistrelle wrote: Sat Aug 10, 2024 11:14 pm Some of us genuinely didn’t know who he was.
Same here. The show probably wasn’t targeting my demographic anyway.
I hate to judge actors abilities, but I do have the utmost respect for the multitude of minor character actors. Without them a great show would be, uh, not great. Conversely a lackluster show with good ensemble and character acting can go on to be a classic.

I really don’t understand his comment about her saying the “n” word. To be honest it baffles me. Sounds like a six-pack statement.
miss meh

Post by miss meh »

Reddog wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2024 2:26 am
I really don’t understand his comment about her saying the “n” word. To be honest it baffles me. Sounds like a six-pack statement.
I speak MAGA!!!! :callonme:

There's that certain type of white person who really, really resents the fact that black folks get to use the n-word freely, but they themselves cannot. So if she says it, and doesn't get shit for it from other black people, it will "prove" that she's actually black.

Edited to add:
I'm also convinced that what Trump said at the NABJ conference last week about her suddenly "turning black" was intentional. He (or his campaign) thought he could make black folks resentful/mad at her for supposedly "pretending" to be black to score political points. The photo of her in a sari with her Indian relatives was all over MAGA-verse right after he said that.
RVInit

Post by RVInit »

pipistrelle wrote: Sat Aug 10, 2024 11:14 pm Some of us genuinely didn’t know who he was.
:yeahthat: Yeah, it was the comments that tipped me off that he must be "someone", so I looked it up. Not impressed.
“A know-it-all is a person who knows everything except for how annoying he is.”

— Demetri Martin
RVInit

Post by RVInit »

— Demetri Martin
Ben-Prime
Verified: ✅MamaSaysI'mBonaFide

Post by Ben-Prime »

Off Topic
Dr. Ken wrote: Sat Aug 10, 2024 11:12 pm

I actually used to watch it when I was younger then Andromeda. Until he made kull the Conquerer. Which was originally going to be a Conan movie. Ugh it was god awful
My friends from then, when we get together, still quote "By this axe, I rule!" at the gaming table, though, I will admit.
But the sunshine aye shall light the sky,
As round and round we run;
And the truth shall ever come uppermost,
And justice shall be done.

- Charles Mackay, "Eternal Justice"
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

poplove wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2024 1:30 am
@TrumpsTaxes
Incredible.

Total donations across ActBlue have now reached *$500,000,000* in the three weeks since Kamala announced her candidacy.

You read that right:

We've raised A HALF A BILLION DOLLARS for Democrats and Democratic causes since July 21st.
https://x.com/TrumpsTaxes/status/1822401343539069205
Beware, Teh Donald has promised to run only on his wealth and not take any donations, even support the RNC himself ...

You say what :?: 2016 :oopsy:
Dr. Ken

Post by Dr. Ken »

Reddog wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2024 2:26 am
Same here. The show probably wasn’t targeting my demographic anyway.
I hate to judge actors abilities, but I do have the utmost respect for the multitude of minor character actors. Without them a great show would be, uh, not great. Conversely a lackluster show with good ensemble and character acting can go on to be a classic.

There were some decent guest actors such a Bruce campbell. Also Marton Csokas and Karl Urban got their start on hercules and the spinoff Xena
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

miss meh wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2024 3:23 am

There's that certain type of white person who really, really resents the fact that black folks get to use the n-word freely, but they themselves cannot. So if she says it, and doesn't get shit for it from other black people, it will "prove" that she's actually black.
:snippity:
miss meh! Hi! :wave:
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

:yeahthat:
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Post by neonzx »

Yep! Don't become complacent just because your choice is up in the "polls". Only poll that matters is on election day.
RVInit

Post by RVInit »

The first minute of this video indicates the amount of excitement Harris and Walz are generating. Trucker John* shows the crowd at 4:16, Harris was scheduled to speak at 8:45 (I think). They closed the doors at 4:30 according to Trucker John. At the point where he's in line at 4:16 he says they told him there is a 50/50 chance of him getting in because they are already at capacity according to how many people are in line. At around the 5 minute mark he has gotten in and is commenting and showing the crowd. There is already a speaker, he says there is at least 20,000 people here.

*I've never heard of him before, this just came up as a recommendation on YouTube and I just started listening to it. His description says he was in the "nosebleed" section. If they had to open up those upper sections we are talking about huge attendance.

— Demetri Martin
bob

Post by bob »

Off Topic
It was successful for its era, but it was in no way a "Friends" equivalent. People, for whatever reason, still engage in "Friends" nostalgia. Reference are still made it, there was the reunion show, etc. "Hercules" had none of that resonance.

But a show that carries a special place in the hearts of Millennials and Gen Z? "Xena," the "Hercules" spin off. Which actually was more popular in its day than "Hercules."
Sorbo is enjoying a late-life resurgence because he went down the same road as other old, angry, White dudes in entertainment: Chuck Woolery, James Woods, Jon Voight, Rob Schneider, etc.
Image ImageImage
miss meh

Post by miss meh »

Tiredretiredlawyer wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2024 8:37 am

:thumbup:
June bug

Post by June bug »

miss meh wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2024 1:33 pm
Tiredretiredlawyer wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2024 8:37 am

:thumbup:
And many thanks, miss meh, for the explanation. :thumbsup:
Resume18

Post by Resume18 »

bob wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2024 1:17 pm
Off Topic
It was successful for its era, but it was in no way a "Friends" equivalent. People, for whatever reason, still engage in "Friends" nostalgia. Reference are still made it, there was the reunion show, etc. "Hercules" had none of that resonance.

But a show that carries a special place in the hearts of Millennials and Gen Z? "Xena," the "Hercules" spin off. Which actually was more popular in its day than "Hercules."

Sorbo is enjoying a late-life resurgence because he went down the same road as other old, angry, White dudes in entertainment: Chuck Woolery, James Woods, Jon Voight, Rob Schneider, etc.
This is the only reference I had for a person named Kevin Sorbo. I have never seen him in anything that I can recall.
Like as the waves make towards the pebbled shore,
So do our minutes hasten to their end . . .
Dr. Ken

Post by Dr. Ken »

New Turtle

Post by New Turtle »

NC is getting so close I think Foggy can deliver the state for Harris.

Return to “US President”