Paris Olympics - July 26th to August 11th (did I mention it's in Paris?)

p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

Q: When did the pole vaulting boys get so cute?
keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

Post by keith »

p0rtia wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2024 1:21 pm Q: When did the pole vaulting boys get so cute?
Maybe just about the same time the track and field women started competing almost nekkid?
Be assured that a walk through the ocean of most souls Would scarcely get your feet wet
poplove
Verified: ✅💚💙💜☮️💐🌈⚽️🥥🌴✅

Post by poplove »

@Gerashchenko_en
A gymnast from Algiers was competing in the 2024 Olympics and almost fell down. A cat saved the day!

(Joking, guys! Just thought you'd like seeing this clip)
keith

Post by keith »

14yo Australian kid wins skateboard gold and now every kid on the train is talking about it.

Another sport for Aussie land to dominate?
Be assured that a walk through the ocean of most souls Would scarcely get your feet wet
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

So why was an 11 yr old competing in the park skateboarding?

I thought we were past that.
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: grumpy ol' geezer

Post by Foggy »

Well, this has been a fun, and successful, Olympics. I'm watching women's shotput, France v. Spain for the gold in men's soccer, and all sorts of stuff. Anna Hall the heptathlete.

Mostly good weather. Excellent venues for the various sports. And, I hate to mention it but this is the world we live in, no terrorist attacks. Everybody secure, everybody just focused on the sports and not international politics.

Can't wait for Los Angeles '28
I'm Foggy and I forget if I approved this message.
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Our older daughter and SIL are at the women's football finals at the Olympics right now. USA leads 1-0 at 66 minutes.
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
poplove
Verified: ✅💚💙💜☮️💐🌈⚽️🥥🌴✅

Post by poplove »

Volkonski wrote: Sat Aug 10, 2024 12:34 pm Our older daughter and SIL are at the women's football finals at the Olympics right now. USA leads 1-0 at 66 minutes.
USWNT WINS GOLD!!!! :cheer1: :cheer1: :cheer1:
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

I think I can hear our daughter cheering all the way from France. ;)
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

For those keeping score the USA women have now won 5 Olympic golds, more than any other national team.
Foggy
Dick Tater

Post by Foggy »

Now that I've seen how crazy good athletes they are, I can understand how breaking became an Olympic sport. That's just awesome.
keith

Post by keith »

Foggy wrote: Sat Aug 10, 2024 4:29 pm Now that I've seen how crazy good athletes they are, I can understand how breaking became an Olympic sport. That's just awesome.
Yeahbt, breakers didn't want it to happen. Breaking is a cultural event, not a sport.

The Aussie B-girl is a Professor who writes scholarly papers on the cultural importance of break dancing. She took the whole thing as a bit of a joke in my opinion.

And it won't be in LA. LA will have Cricket - more gold for Aussieland!
Sam the Centipede

Post by Sam the Centipede »

Growing up I saw the Olympics as primarily a major athletics (or track and field in USAian) with a pile of other traditional sports tacked on, mainly competitions for individuals.

At that age I hadn't known about the Olympics' cultural and artistic competitions in its earlier years. One reason (I read) those were abandoned was apparently because the early Olympics had a strong amateur principle and it was believed that the art competitions were being exploited by professional artists to promote their work.

Pierre de Coubertin modeled his games on two things: the Olympian Games of a small town in the midlands of England, and the sporting traditions of the English "public schools" (the expensive fee -charging schools, Eton, Harrow, Winchester, etc.).

So there was the snobbery of amateurism: decent chaps play sports for pleasure , camaraderie and self-improvement, only lower class people play for cash or (non-token) prizes. The fact that poor people couldn't afford to take time off from earning a wage for unpaid games, not our problem! Anyway, those ill-bred oiks might have the cheek to beat a good chap! Heavens, they might even start trying!

It jarred a little when more sports that weren't played at those schools came in, but that was mainly because one learns at a certain age that things change. But I like it! It hurts no-one, is it brings pleasure to some, fine.

One consistent trend I welcome in these games is the more healthy attitude of competitors in interviews. Instead of being grumpy at not getting a gold, they are delighted at winning a silver or bronze. They know how hard they and their opponents trained, and only one person or team can be ultimate winner, and there is often a chunk of luck involved (is this the day when everything goes perfectly? ehen the 50-50s work?).

And in the yoof sports, the BMX and skateboard tricks, for example, there is a culture of being genuinely happy for others who do well – they all know the work behind that amazing trick!
Foggy
Dick Tater

Post by Foggy »

There are 8 billion Earthlings now. This is a selection of some of the best of us. I love the camaraderie of the athletes, supporting and encouraging each other to be their best. Both men and women hugging each other after the event. I was never great at sports, but I loved to play. Athletes are, for the most part, good people.

The women from Botswana kicked butt in the 4x400. The dude from Norway left everybody behind. Steph Curry went unconscious, he literally couldn't miss a shot. I'm not a fan of diving, but whatever. It's been great to watch. Spectacular. And I have it all in my library so I can watch the rest of the summer, and all fall and winter.

Looking forward to the closing ceremony.
Foggy
Dick Tater

Post by Foggy »

The thing about breaking is, if I saw a dog or a cat doing anything like that, I would take them to the vet immediately. :shock:
Foggy
Dick Tater

Post by Foggy »

USA women's basketball team, gold medal by a single point over France! The French player stepped on the 3 point line in the final shot of the game, so it was only a two-pointer or it would have gone to OT. Super exciting finish!

:oldman:
Edit: My power washer broke today when I pulled it out. :blackeye: Well, it was probably 15 years old, the motor is frozen or sumpin'. So I reckon I can watch a little more of the Games for a few minutes.
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

This was posted on social media by an account that claims to be Army Ranger(s). I'm not buying it.
Friends in Paris tell me that Paris is empty. The Olympics is an expensive flop. Restaurants are making no money. Tourists have not arrived. I guess they ensured that would happen with their trans-graphic opening ceremony. What has also driven people away is the Olympics is 100% cashless and all products and services are via QR Code. People literally checked out of hotels because of it. Cashless is FAILING
I'm betting Volkonski's daughter saw people. :twisted:
Foggy
Dick Tater

Post by Foggy »

Stade de France certainly has had a packed stadium for most of the track and field events. I think they're getting good attendance. I'm 71 and I can deal with QR codes on everything. It's free to get a QR app and, umm ... I mean, you do have online banking in the twenty first century, amirite yesno?

Yeah, that sounds like hokum.

France is doing really well in the Games. They were in the gold medal games in men's and women's basketball, though they lost both to the US. Lots of track and field medals. The host country is a great group, they're getting roaring crowds everywhere, and they are fourth in total medals at 64, 16 of them gold and 26 silvers. Not too shabby, and that helps to get more crowds.
Foggy
Dick Tater

Post by Foggy »

I just have to say, Lydia Ko.

Women's golf is not my favorite. I suspect Hell is a place where they make me watch golf on the Tee Vee all the time.

Men's, women's, nothankyouverymuch. A good walk, ruined. :blackeye:

But then Lydia Ko comes along with a gold medal in golf, which means she's in the LPGA Hall of Fame at the decrepit old age of 27. She's the 35th and youngest inductee. She is dominant in the sport of golf, and she plays for New Zealand, even though she was born in South Korea. New Zealand has 20 medals, including 10 golds.

I gotta find more video of the golf now. :think:
Rolodex

Post by Rolodex »

Closing ceremonies today!

I sincerely hope all those ignorant yahoo grumps who complained so loudly and stupidly about boycotting or how awful the opening ceremonies were will keep their word and not watch. And while not watching, just stfu and let the rest of us enjoy it.
Do the right thing. It will gratify some people and astonish the rest. - Mark Twain
Foggy
Dick Tater

Post by Foggy »

Yeah, it looks like sunny and hot (85° F., 30° C.), no rain in sight. Gonna be beautiful. Starting in 24 minutes.
Foggy
Dick Tater

Post by Foggy »

So the US won the most total medals, 40 golds, 44 silvers, and 42 bronzes, for a total of 126. China is next with 91 medals, followed by Great Britain, France, and Australia down there.

Cole Hocker, a new Olympic record, Hocker's Shocker in the 1500 meters. Sydney McLaughlin-Levrone, a new world record in the women's 400 meter hurdles at 50.37 seconds.

I'm watching the Closing Ceremony, but not really listening. I am highly allergic to advertisements and commercial messages, and on live television you can't skip past that stuff. I could get sick!
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

Oh Lord. It's so French.
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

Foggy wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2024 12:07 pm Stade de France certainly has had a packed stadium for most of the track and field events. I think they're getting good attendance. I'm 71 and I can deal with QR codes on everything. It's free to get a QR app and, umm ... I mean, you do have online banking in the twenty first century, amirite yesno?
The cashless thing is definitely affecting music festival attendance so complaints from Paris don't surprise me. And if on-line banking (not at all like the cashless systems) was anything like the festivals use, nobody would use it. I have friends who are just now getting refunds from April from a cashless fest that hosed up the taxes or something. Their refunds are all in the $0.11 to $2.50 range, 4 months later. Would you accept that from your bank? Long lines, no way to tip, can't use a debit or credit card, and a big fat PITA to add money to your wristband and the whole cashless thing is a nightmare.
Foggy
Dick Tater

Post by Foggy »

OK, and no, I haven't tried total cashless. Maybe they'll fix it before I do.

I guess maybe there will be more reports about cashless Paris and whether it really affected attendance. Well, except for the hotel occupancy. We'll get unproven comments, but nothing accurate about that, imho.

Still, the French seem to be pretty happy with the results. I saw many thousands in the stands, but maybe they didn't stay in hotels. Attendance at the actual sports events seemed pretty good.

Anyway, it's all over now except for the American right-wing critique of the Closing Ceremony, which will be stupid and probably racist too also. I'm looking forward to it. :liar:

And tomorrow we get to see a whole new planet, totally different from the one you inhabit today.

Return to “Foreign Countries and Culture”