Weather Alerts

Volkonski
Verified:

Weather Alerts

Post by Volkonski »

Watch out Foggy!

Tropical storm Debby brings tornadoes and more rain to North Carolina after making 2nd US landfall

https://www.cnn.com/2024/08/08/weather/ ... index.html
• “Be prepared for a deluge,” North Carolina governor says: North Carolina Gov. Roy Cooper warned residents Wednesday to brace for major rains and flooding. “All North Carolinians across our state need to be prepared for a deluge,” Cooper said, describing the incoming threat as “more rain than most of us see in a month, or even several months.” Rainfall totals across the state could reach as high as 15 inches and South Carolina could see totals approaching 25 inches. Dangerous rip currents and storm surges of up to 3 feet are possible along the Carolinas’ coasts.
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: Inventor of flag baseball

Weather Alerts

Post by Foggy »

We're hunkering, whatever that means. :hide:
Don't mind me, I just fell out of a coconut tree. 🥥🌴
Maybenaut
Verified: ✅✅

Weather Alerts

Post by Maybenaut »

We may actually get some rain. It would be such a relief! The farms around here are really suffering.

The blue dot is Maybelot.
IMG_0098.jpeg
IMG_0098.jpeg (150.2 KiB) Viewed 303 times
"Hey! We left this England place because it was bogus, and if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too!" -- Thomas Jefferson
Maybenaut

Weather Alerts

Post by Maybenaut »

Breaking News: It is RAINING at Maybelot.

AFAIK, this has been the driest summer on record for this part of the Old Dominion. So glad to see the rain. Hope the flooding isn’t too terrible.
"Hey! We left this England place because it was bogus, and if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too!" -- Thomas Jefferson
John Thomas8

Weather Alerts

Post by John Thomas8 »

This tornado from Saturday touched down 2 miles from our house:

https://www.wral.com/story/fuquay-varin ... /21565798/

Weather is still quite obnoxious.
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: Inventor of flag baseball

Weather Alerts

Post by Foggy »

Wow, hadn't seen that.

Got some luck today - rain stopped, Sun came out, so I quickly set out for a brief walk, just a bit more than a mile but I needed to stretch my legs. Knew it wouldn't last, tho ...

Five minutes after I got home, it opened up again, pouring rain, but not a drop on me.

:biggrin:
Don't mind me, I just fell out of a coconut tree. 🥥🌴
Flatpoint High
Occupation: professional pain in the ass, voice actor & keeper of the straight face
Verified:

Weather Alerts

Post by Flatpoint High »

:thumbsup:
Foggy wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2024 6:36 pm Wow, hadn't seen that.

Got some luck today - rain stopped, Sun came out, so I quickly set out for a brief walk, just a bit more than a mile but I needed to stretch my legs. Knew it wouldn't last, tho ...

Five minutes after I got home, it opened up again, pouring rain, but not a drop on me.

:biggrin:
:thumbsup: :thumbsup:
castigat ridendo mores.
VELOCIUS QUAM ASPARAGI COQUANTUR
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Weather Alerts

Post by northland10 »

Maybenaut wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2024 5:00 pm Breaking News: It is RAINING at Maybelot.

AFAIK, this has been the driest summer on record for this part of the Old Dominion. So glad to see the rain. Hope the flooding isn’t too terrible.
Apparently, we are wetter this year than last year, but it does not feel like it (June was lower, but July was much higher). I think our issue here in July is that our rain seems to come all at once. It gives us some short-term flooding but not enough time for it to soak in.
101010 :towel:
northland10

Weather Alerts

Post by northland10 »

John Thomas8 wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2024 5:38 pm This tornado from Saturday touched down 2 miles from our house:
Amateur. The closest I have been was on the edge of the EF-0 part of the 1980 Kalamazoo Tornado.

The map is from a survey Fujita (as in the Fujita scale) did after the tornado. The red section was F2, the yellow, F1, and the other areas F0 (I think). I was in the basement of the building with the red arrow at the lower left. The cemetery had many trees down and lots of broken headstones.
Kazoo Tornado 1980.jpg
Kazoo Tornado 1980.jpg (152.94 KiB) Viewed 210 times
The tornado was an F3 (or by the modern scale Ef-3 to EF-4) in some parts such as when it hit the St. Augustine Catholic School (the students had left already).

I wanted to go ride bikes with a friend in Portage that day, but my mother said we had a tornado watch, so I needed to be with her as she taught private lessons at Kalamazoo College. She took me to the tornado. There was some tree damage by the parking lot of the building.

https://noaa.maps.arcgis.com/apps/MapJo ... 7267fa21b0

https://www.1980kalamazootornado.org/

I was in Portage in June and in a few places, did not entirely recognize where I was due to all the trees and other damage from the May tornado.

Apparently, there was an F4 tornado in Kalamazoo on this day (8 August) in 1939. All three were on Tuesday. In Kalamazoo/Portage it is Tornado Tuesdays.
John Thomas8

Weather Alerts

Post by John Thomas8 »

Close? We lost our house in Xenia, OH. With us in it.

Quite unpleasant.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1974_Xenia_tornado
northland10

Weather Alerts

Post by northland10 »

John Thomas8 wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2024 8:19 pm Close? We lost our house in Xenia, OH. With us in it.

Quite unpleasant.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1974_Xenia_tornado
Ohh... I've heard or that one. You, um, win. :bag:
Maybenaut

Weather Alerts

Post by Maybenaut »

Debby is moving out of Page Valley. We got a lot of rain, which we desperately needed.
IMG_0102.jpeg
IMG_0102.jpeg (102.5 KiB) Viewed 136 times
northland10

Weather Alerts

Post by northland10 »

When Beryl remnants were coming through here, I remember some article talking about how tropical storm rain is different than what we get normally and it is good for plants.

It is not, however, good for driving, if you are one who likes to see where you're driving. :oopsy:
FiveAcres

Weather Alerts

Post by FiveAcres »

northland10 wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2024 11:26 am When Beryl remnants were coming through here, I remember some article talking about how tropical storm rain is different than what we get normally and it is good for plants.

It is not, however, good for driving, if you are one who likes to see where you're driving. :oopsy:
One the benefits of being retired and living in Colorado is that one rarely has to drive in the rain. In the past three days I've driven in more rain than I had in the previous twelve months. Colorado drivers: you gotta love 'em. They mostly deal pretty well with driving in snow, but rain makes them lose their minds. I fear that may be true of me as well.
Avatar was a photo I took by Killary Fjord in 2005. Killary Fjord is in Northern Connemara, Ireland.

Return to “General Stuff”