Shizzle Popped

Tell us about yourself. But only things you want us to know.
sugar magnolia

Shizzle Popped

Post by sugar magnolia »

That bay window ledge looks like a right proper cat perch to me. Wide-screen bird tv I bet.
sad-cafe

Shizzle Popped

Post by sad-cafe »

it looks great!

I would buy it
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Shizzle Popped

Post by bill_g »

You done good. Looks great!
AndyinPA
Verified:

Shizzle Popped

Post by AndyinPA »

Very nice.

My friend in Santa Fe just sold her house after just eight days on the market. She got asking price for cash. I wish you the same luck.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Shizzle Popped

Post by neonzx »

Looks really good, Shizzle.

Nice job on staging even if you folks couldn't completely eliminate the 80s look. :biggrin:
sugar magnolia

Shizzle Popped

Post by sugar magnolia »

neonzx wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2024 1:10 pm Looks really good, Shizzle.

Nice job on staging even if you folks couldn't completely eliminate the 80s look. :biggrin:
Pretty sure the pony wall is what gave it away.
Shizzle Popped
Verified:

Shizzle Popped

Post by Shizzle Popped »

Thanks for all the compliments. We could probably get another $60k if we did a flip job on it but it would take a fair amount of cash and lots of labor that I would have trouble doing these days.

We heard the news about the shooting while we were standing in line to vote at the Indiana Democratic convention. We were all a bit shocked. The last thing I want is for that orange asshole to be martyred.

As for the convention, are all state conventions this incredibly disorganized? Registration was a mess, the ballots for the district level voting were late, and the statewide voting was a complete fiasco. Otherwise, it was a great deal of fun and it was nice spending the day talking to like minded people.
IMG_9353.jpeg
IMG_9353.jpeg (409.32 KiB) Viewed 792 times
"Let us tenderly and kindly cherish, therefore, the means of knowledge. Let us dare to read, think, speak, and write."
John Adams
Shizzle Popped
Verified:

Shizzle Popped

Post by Shizzle Popped »

It looks like my dad's house is sold. We have three offers with a potential fourth coming in. Two are at asking price and the third is $5k over. The kicker is that the high bid is the original builder's grandson. My dad and I both know the original builder pretty well. I sold floor covering back in the day and worked with him regularly when he was building houses. He was always an honest guy and built the best house in town. When my dad got ready to build a house he asked me what I thought of the builders in town and there was no question in my mind who he should go with. It was going to cost a bit more but he was going to get a really solid house, and that's been the case. I'm actually thrilled that it's going to his grandson.
"Let us tenderly and kindly cherish, therefore, the means of knowledge. Let us dare to read, think, speak, and write."
John Adams
AndyinPA
Verified:

Shizzle Popped

Post by AndyinPA »

Wow! Congratulations.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
bill_g

Shizzle Popped

Post by bill_g »

Something that worked easy. Gotta love those moments.
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Shizzle Popped

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

:dance:
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
Shizzle Popped
Verified:

Shizzle Popped

Post by Shizzle Popped »

We got home late Friday afternoon and will be here for maybe a week or so. We spent the better part of a day clearing out the attic of 37 years worth of crap. Almost all of it went into the dumpster. It was at least 125 degrees in the attic so we took turns going up and either throwing it out or handing it down the ladder. My wife's sister took most of the remaining furniture and had Two Men and a Truck come move it. I also had to do a few things that were required for a new occupancy permit. Anyway, everything is cleared out and, unless something comes up, we're done with the work there.

It looks like closing for my dad's house is going to be somewhere around the 13th and we'll be going back for it. I looked back through my calendar and we've been home about 3 weeks out of the last 10. It was a little depressing closing up the house for the last time but we're just ready for this to be done with at this point.

My back has had enough of this as well. I have my regularly scheduled massage tomorrow morning. I don't really enjoy massages but they help keep me functional. I'm looking forward to my massage tomorrow, if that makes sense.

If you didn't see in Foggy's thread, my dad has decided to give his 2017 Honda Accord to my daughter who lives in Seattle. We brought the car home with us and I'm going over it with a fine-toothed comb to see what needs attention. My dad has always taken care of his cars but has let it slide a bit in the last few years. Mostly, I think it just needs to be cleaned up a little. I've clay-barred the paint, buffed it out lightly and applied the first coat of wax. It'll get two more coats of wax with a 24 hour cure between coats. The interior might be the bigger job. I am happy with how the exterior is looking.
IMG_9662 900.jpg
IMG_9662 900.jpg (112.04 KiB) Viewed 490 times

The plan is to drive the car out sometime late this month or early in September, stay a few days and fly back.
John Adams
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Shizzle Popped

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

Lookin’ good!
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
Shizzle Popped
Verified:

Shizzle Popped

Post by Shizzle Popped »

It's been a very long day so I'll try to keep this uncharacteristically short. We closed on my dad's house today so that's the big item off the list that we've been dealing with over the last few months. We met the new owner, who's the grandson of the original builder. He's a nice guy. I like him and I'm glad he's the one that got the house. His closing was separate from ours but he made a point to stop by so he could meet us. I spent most of the afternoon cancelling services. The real shock was to find out that my dad was paying $85/mo for 12 megabit (!!!) internet service, which is what I pay for one gig fiber. WTH?

While I was cleaning up my dad's car I noticed that the sticker on his license plate said '23. Uh, oh. Sure enough, his registration expired in March of last year. So, after we finished with closing we took a trip to the DMV to fix that. I probably would have gotten away with it but I didn't feel like driving the car the roughly 2,300 miles from Indiana to Seattle with expired tags. Twenty minutes and $154 later we walked out with new plates and a sticker. They'll be on the car less than a month.

My dad, OTOH, has been better. His mental acuity seems to be slipping pretty fast. It was a struggle all day to get him to understand what was being done and why. I already have full POA but mostly he's been handling things. I took over management of his investment portfolio the other day and we're going to start going through his bills every month now.

The trip to Seattle is going to be somewhat leisurely. It may take us five days to get there. I could easily do it in three. We're going to make a trip to the Oregon beaches to spread the ashes of our last Schnauzer. It was her favorite place in the world. She would run splashing through the surf even though she tiptoed around the backyard in the wet Seattle winters to try to keep her paws from getting wet. She may have been the sweetest thing on four legs to ever step foot on the planet. As of now, we're planning on taking the train home in a sleeper. My wife says the route takes us north near the border with Canada and that sounds so much nicer than an airplane. It'll take four times longer and cost twice as much but, fuck it...we've earned this.

So much for short......

ETA: My dad isn't going. He thinks the trip would be too much for him and he's probably right.
John Adams
bill_g

Shizzle Popped

Post by bill_g »

Sounds like a good plan. Decompress on the train. Glad your Dad is situated.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Shizzle Popped

Post by AndyinPA »

:thumbsup: on the train trip back. The Empire Builder isn't the most scenic, but it's nice. We've done it twice. It's a great way to see the country, and the destination is the journey. You will definitely get to relax, particularly in one of the sleepers.

I'm glad everything else went so well, too.
Shizzle Popped
Verified:

Shizzle Popped

Post by Shizzle Popped »

We both need time to decompress. Dealing with getting my dad moved into assisted living and the house sold has been a long, hard slog.

It is a relief that my dad is in assisted living. He's had a number of falls over the last few years and he was home alone. He had a fall sensor that mostly worked when we was wearing it, and he had an entire neighborhood that kept an eye on him. But there were a few times where it took him hours to reach a phone. He's had two minor incidents since he moved into assisted living. One was when he went out in his car on a 98 degree day (which we told him not to do) and the other was when he bent down to pick something up off the floor and couldn't get up. There was somebody there in almost no time to help him. Physically, he's better than he was before he moved in but he's getting three solid meals a day which he wasn't getting at home. We hoped that the stimulation of being around other people would help his mental acuity but I think we got there too late.
John Adams
AndyinPA
Verified:

Shizzle Popped

Post by AndyinPA »

I've been through it with my mother, selling the house, getting her into assisted living, the falls, the hospitals, so I understand somewhat. It's tough, but I hope it all works out for the best.

Enjoy the train trip!

Return to “Introduce Yourself”