Hijack This Thread

Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: and it's really me

Hijack This Thread

Post by Foggy »

I've been to Bath. Loved it. Don't remember whether Cathy (college girlfriend) and I threw coins.
No point in worrying about shit you can't control, save that energy for the stuff you can. - Evan Currie
Foggy
Dick Tater

Hijack This Thread

Post by Foggy »

Just got an alert on my phone, about an "emergency siren activation" at the nuclear power plant down south of here. :eek:

It says no real emergency, but maybe ol' Wifehorn and I will get, instead of rain, a sprinkle of radioactive fallout when we venture forth into the Church of the Great Outdoors, which we have a date at 9:30 on this glorious July morn.
No point in worrying about shit you can't control, save that energy for the stuff you can. - Evan Currie
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Hijack This Thread

Post by bill_g »

That gives "it's hot outside" a whole new meaning.
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Hijack This Thread

Post by neonzx »

Superman casting call: Extras needed Monday

https://fox8.com/news/superman-casting- ... onday/amp/
CLEVELAND (WJW) – The new Superman movie is filming in Northeast Ohio, and this weekend, they put in a rush call for extras.

Angela Boehm casting posted about what they’re looking for:

People 18 and older who are under 6’0” tall and have a car that is not red or white. :think: :confuzzled:

Extras also need to be available all day, with no conflicts and who can film for up to 10 to 12 hours.

According to the post, extras will be in their car all day.

“Essentially, your car will be the extra and you will be in the car,” the post reads.

The casting call is for new people only, Angela Boehm casting says.

“If you are 100% available and have already submitted an application to us, please email us at angela@angelaboehmcasting.com with your name, your email, Make, Model, Color and Year of car, and confirm that you are FULLY AVAILABLE Monday July 8th,” the post reads.

Applicants will be contacted if they are booked.
bill_g

Hijack This Thread

Post by bill_g »

Oh yeah. Nothing better than sitting in a car on a July day.
sugar magnolia

Hijack This Thread

Post by sugar magnolia »

neonzx wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2024 12:37 pm Superman casting call: Extras needed Monday

https://fox8.com/news/superman-casting- ... onday/amp/
CLEVELAND (WJW) – The new Superman movie is filming in Northeast Ohio, and this weekend, they put in a rush call for extras.

Angela Boehm casting posted about what they’re looking for:

People 18 and older who are under 6’0” tall and have a car that is not red or white. :think: :confuzzled:

Extras also need to be available all day, with no conflicts and who can film for up to 10 to 12 hours.

According to the post, extras will be in their car all day.

“Essentially, your car will be the extra and you will be in the car,” the post reads.

The casting call is for new people only, Angela Boehm casting says.

“If you are 100% available and have already submitted an application to us, please email us at angela@angelaboehmcasting.com with your name, your email, Make, Model, Color and Year of car, and confirm that you are FULLY AVAILABLE Monday July 8th,” the post reads.

Applicants will be contacted if they are booked.
White doesn't read well on camera and red is the color of his suit. Under 6' is most likely for the visual of you sitting in the car. My hub is several inches over that and always looks like he's hunched down when he's driving although he has plenty of headroom.
Rolodex

Hijack This Thread

Post by Rolodex »

Dang. Too bad I'm so far away. I have a dark grey car and and am well under 6'. It's electric so I could keep my air running and listen to podcasts all day.
Do the right thing. It will gratify some people and astonish the rest. - Mark Twain
neonzx

Hijack This Thread

Post by neonzx »

Rolodex wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2024 1:48 pm Dang. Too bad I'm so far away. I have a dark grey car and and am well under 6'. It's electric so I could keep my air running and listen to podcasts all day.
I totally would have offered up my time. $96 per 8 hours and $50 for the car. And all I have to do is sit in my car.

Anyway, this was the scene today needing car extras. They filmed on the Detroit-Superior bridge and people were running on foot to get away from Metropolis as it was 'crumbling'. The extra cars aren't moving because they can't.
Screenshots_2024-07-08-17-20-41.png
Screenshots_2024-07-08-17-20-41.png (202.48 KiB) Viewed 418 times
A stunt motorcyclist had a wreck and had to be take to the hospital. :(

After Ohio, they are heading to a remote area of Norway. Which will keep secrets to the story.
Rolodex

Hijack This Thread

Post by Rolodex »

Ok I could do the car sitting part, but my knees would refuse the running away part.
Do the right thing. It will gratify some people and astonish the rest. - Mark Twain
bill_g

Hijack This Thread

Post by bill_g »

I'd have to get Ahia* first.

And after a day on the bridge in a car, I'd be like this ...
melted turbine.jpg
melted turbine.jpg (30.57 KiB) Viewed 394 times

* not misspelled
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Hijack This Thread

Post by northland10 »

Today on the eastbound Borman Parking Lot (I-80 in NW Indiana), I had to watch my speed lest I go too fast. The world's turned upside down.
101010 :towel:
Foggy
Dick Tater

Hijack This Thread

Post by Foggy »

Foggy wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2024 3:40 pm I got a bunch of certified copies of birth certificates today in the mail, my own ...
And now that I look more closely, this is a real gift:

It is a certified copy of my birth certificate, with 1) a raised seal, and 2) the registrar's signature, just as all us early Fogbowers know must be on a legal certified copy. This complies with US State Department regulations for obtaining a passport.

It is printed on a 4" x 6" card, clearly not an actual copy from a copier. But of course, it couldn't be produced by a copy machine, because it was certified on March 16, 1956, and we hadn't quite invented copy machines on that date. Roxy wasn't even a gleam in some electronic engineer's eye.

It doesn't say anything about the citizenship of my parents on the day I was born, which will make Robert Laity quite angry. It doesn't mention anything about my father's employment or my mother's place of birth or anything. It's bereft of information, in other words it is the classic example of a short form birth certificate dated 1956. The only information about my parents other than their full names is the one thing that would make this document acceptable to birther morons: their race (they were both White). This has WAY less information than Obama's short form birth certificate that he released in 2008.

It's along the lines of the shortest legal birth certificate I ever saw, a wallet-sized card from the State of Connecticut.

Anyway, interesting birth certificate. I'm keeping it. :batting:
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Hijack This Thread

Post by RTH10260 »

lost for fifty years

Sam the Centipede

Hijack This Thread

Post by Sam the Centipede »

Rings: where does the tradition come from? Not just military rings, but Superbowl rings, and I assume there are others. Many countries have rings for marriage and of course for ornamentation, but not generally commemorative rings.

Is the tradition purely a USA one or did it come from one of the native or immigrant communities? I can't think of a similar non-religious ring tradition in Europe, but I don't claim to know all of Europe.

Thoughts?
neonzx

Hijack This Thread

Post by neonzx »

Sam the Centipede wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2024 10:52 am Rings: where does the tradition come from? Not just military rings, but Superbowl rings, and I assume there are others. Many countries have rings for marriage and of course for ornamentation, but not generally commemorative rings.

Is the tradition purely a USA one or did it come from one of the native or immigrant communities? I can't think of a similar non-religious ring tradition in Europe, but I don't claim to know all of Europe.

Thoughts?
I don't have a class ring at all, but probably a USA jewelry company came up with the idea. $$$

When I was in high school, they offered us class rings as seniors/year 12 (for purchase). That was a hard-pass from me. They are far too big and gaudy. Not sure they were ever fasionable.

I guess for some they think of them as nostalgic mementos to hand down to family later in life.

A quick Google tells me these ring sales have fallen over the psst 30 years.
Volkonski
Verified:

Hijack This Thread

Post by Volkonski »

I have both high school and college class rings. I wore my college ring until I got married and replaced it with my wedding ring.

Signet rings are worn to show membership in a family or organization or one's official position. They were used to impress wax seals on letters and documents.

Also rings are symbols or sources of power in legendary tales like "The Lord of the Rings" and "The Ring of the Nibelungs"
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
AndyinPA
Verified:

Hijack This Thread

Post by AndyinPA »

I passed on the high school ring. The front entrance of the school had four three-story pillars, and they were on the ring. I always thought the ring looked like a glorified garbage can. That's what I called it. My husband had his high school ring, also big. I don't think his college (GMI) had one.

I seem to remember that boys gave their high school rings to their girlfriends as a token of going together. I don't know if that's still a thing.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Reddog

Hijack This Thread

Post by Reddog »

Sam the Centipede wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2024 10:52 am Rings: where does the tradition come from? Not just military rings, but Superbowl rings, and I assume there are others. Many countries have rings for marriage and of course for ornamentation, but not generally commemorative rings.

Thoughts?
"The time has come," the Walrus said,
"To talk of many things:
Of shoes—and ships—and sealing-wax—
Of cabbages—and kings—
And why the sea is boiling hot—
And whether pigs have wings."
Just one reason I believe, commemorative rings derive from seal rings. A more portable form of seal?

What I don’t get, mostly, is if there is any significance to different fingers bearing rings. I see more commonly multiple rings on fingers. Sometimes between each knuckle. Rings on every finger & thumb, etc. my guess is they are symbols of different life experiences akin to tattoos. I must have a pretty boring life. Of course in my trade, electrician, rings were frowned on.

I worry, too also, about the sea being boiling hot. (this may already have a topic, no need to hijack?)
Rolodex

Hijack This Thread

Post by Rolodex »

Having a glorious time gathering up all the necessary info. I want to get a quote from an insurance agent. The guy who owns the agency I use now flies a gigantic trump flag on his boat (we're on the same lake) and it makes me question his judgment. Plus I don't like the money he makes off me going to buy that stupid flag.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Hijack This Thread

Post by AndyinPA »

IIRC, the wedding ring finger was chosen as it was believed to be that the nerves/veins/whatever ran directly to the heart. Way back when, I suppose.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Flatpoint High
Occupation: professional pain in the ass, voice actor & keeper of the straight face
Verified:

Hijack This Thread

Post by Flatpoint High »

i got one when I was at UC Davis engraved onyx as I was deep into Dark Shadows at the time and Barnabas was hot (even though Frid was gay) Lost it.
castigat ridendo mores.
VELOCIUS QUAM ASPARAGI COQUANTUR
Foggy
Dick Tater

Hijack This Thread

Post by Foggy »

I never had a class ring, so my dad left me his. :stars:
pipistrelle

Hijack This Thread

Post by pipistrelle »

Had a class ring and lost it. Bought a new (and different looking one because they'd changed). Lost it too. Bought a third. Found the second. Never found the box for the second or the first ring. College rings weren't pushed so didn't get one. Thought about it later but never got around to it.

The second and third rings I got were customizable with school activities, e.g., if you played football, you could get it on your ring.

Also good for noogies. :twisted:
June bug

Hijack This Thread

Post by June bug »

Rolodex wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2024 1:58 pm Having a glorious time gathering up all the necessary info. I want to get a quote from an insurance agent. The guy who owns the agency I use now flies a gigantic trump flag on his boat (we're on the same lake) and it makes me question his judgment. Plus I don't like the money he makes off me going to buy that stupid flag.
:thumbsup: :boxing: :thumbsup:
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Hijack This Thread

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

Flatpoint High wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2024 2:59 pm i got one when I was at UC Davis engraved onyx as I was deep into Dark Shadows at the time and Barnabas was hot (even though Frid was gay) Lost it.
:notworthy1:
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.

Return to “General Stuff”