The Stupid Thread

neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

The Stupid Thread

Post by neonzx »

bill_g wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2024 5:46 pm
noblepa wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2024 4:57 pm And Joe Camel says "all the cool sixth graders smoke unfiltered Camels".
My first cigs were made from bubble gum. Even came in a pack.
Yep! Those were cool. Teach them young!
qbawl

The Stupid Thread

Post by qbawl »

neonzx wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2024 5:50 pm
noblepa wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2024 4:57 pm And Joe Camel says "all the cool sixth graders smoke unfiltered Camels".
Candy cigarettes in the early to mid '50s: chalky white peppermint slightly undersized sticks with a bright red tip in little cardboard packs nearly duplicating the big national brands but often with a one letter off name. As you said "Teach them young!" and establish brand loyalty. Bubble gum was reserved for the older, more macho "cigar" aficionados.
poplove
Verified: ✅💚💙💜☮️💐🌈⚽️🥥🌴✅

The Stupid Thread

Post by poplove »

qbawl wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2024 6:19 pm
Candy cigarettes in the early to mid '50s: chalky white peppermint slightly undersized sticks with a bright red tip in little cardboard packs nearly duplicating the big national brands but often with a one letter off name. As you said "Teach them young!" and establish brand loyalty. Bubble gum was reserved for the older, more macho "cigar" aficionados.
I remember the flavor being a little more wintergreen than peppermint. We would buy them and other candy from the liquor store. I also remember getting toothpicks infused with cinnamon that you could suck on for hours without losing the flavor.
Suranis

The Stupid Thread

Post by Suranis »

Yep we had "Sweet Cigarettes" when I was going up too. They were damn tasty as well.
Hic sunt dracones
pipistrelle

The Stupid Thread

Post by pipistrelle »

Nostalgia candy stores still have them, and of course Amazon.

World's King Size Candy 'Cigarettes' ,0.01 oz,24 Case
Frater I*I
Verified: ✅Verified Devilish Hyena

The Stupid Thread

Post by Frater I*I »

In my day, after yours, the stick were also gum as well...
"He sewed his eyes shut because he is afraid to see, He tries to tell me what I put inside of me
He's got the answers to ease my curiosity, He dreamed a god up and called it Christianity"

Trent Reznor
keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

The Stupid Thread

Post by keith »

poplove wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2024 6:30 pm

I remember the flavor being a little more wintergreen than peppermint. We would buy them and other candy from the liquor store. I also remember getting toothpicks infused with cinnamon that you could suck on for hours without losing the flavor.
I used to make cinnamon toothpicks, put 'em into alfoil packs of 10 and sell them on the school bus for 25cents. Then the school clamped down on it because we didn't have a health dept permit.
Be assured that a walk through the ocean of most souls Would scarcely get your feet wet
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

The Stupid Thread

Post by RTH10260 »

Vintage signs causing trouble in Marquette

KSNB Local4
12 Jul 2024

Vintage signs causing trouble in Marquette

bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

The Stupid Thread

Post by bill_g »

Well, I see the problem. They adopted codes from another village and didn't review them enough to uncover unintended consequences like this. Those would have gone through at least three public hearings over a 90 day period before being voted on in Oregon.

Sign code is near and dear to me. When I was on our local planning commission, signage was a common issue for us to decide. I have no idea what Nebraska land use regs are like, but in Oregon if this had appeared before me, I would have recommended the applicant modify their request to a conditional use permit that gets reviewed every ten years.

Some people call them waivers or exceptions. They can be. Waivers are permanent - one-n-done. CUP (conditional use permit) are temporary. They eventually expire needing review and renewal on a regular basis.

This allows the local authority to keep an eye on a project. If minor complaints come in, (IE: not requiring immediate enforcement) they can be saved for the review board years down the road. Then they go through the whole process all over again.

Once approved, if the applicant's project isn't a crap magnet attracting a lot of negative public attention, their renewal application will probably be handled administratively meaning they will be listed with a group of other applications, approved en masse, and gaveled through at a public meeting.

It's at that time someone with standing can request the CUP be reviewed in an open public hearing on a date certain determined by staff and announced at the next meeting. Standing is guaranteed for an immediately adjacent property owner. All others need to either approach one of the adjacent owners to act as their proxy, or establish their own standing for future CUP renewals (which may be two to ten years away).

Once the applicant starts the CUP process, I can visit the site prior to the hearing, and write up a list of discrepancies (or lack thereof) that I think need to be addressed to move the approval forward. We would discuss my requested changes in a motion before the board. Eventually we would arrive at what could be approved, and have our vote on the matter all during a single evening of public debate.
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

The Stupid Thread

Post by bill_g »

Continuing along these lines of code enforcement pissing the public off, one of my favorite was for Penske Truck Rental. That property had been a truck maintenance yard under several names through the years. The use had not changed. So, code changes had not applied to a grandfathered property. But, Penske wanted to expand their operation. They purchased the empty lot next to theirs effectively tripling their footprint.

The empty lot was already zoned for commercial use. The issue was parking lot trees. Penske's application was for a large contigous paved area for trucks and trailers. There was no code that directly applied to truck and trailer lots. So, the staff applied shopping center parking lot code, and that required a number of shade trees per square foot of paved lot. There is a calculation for the number, a specification for spacing, curbing, irrigation, height, and species limitations.

For trees.

In a parking lot for 18 wheeler trucks and 54ft trailers. That would work as good as a screen door on a submarine.

We went round and round on this one eventually agreeing to increase the depth of planting around the perimeter of the new property line such they allowed for planned expansion of the roads. No trees or curbed planting areas for trucks, trailers, and forklifts to navigate. And it was a permanent waiver. No CUP reviews.

Return to “Whatever Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”