The Stupid Thread

neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

The Stupid Thread

Post by neonzx »

bill_g wrote: Sat Jul 06, 2024 11:01 am Years ago one of our neighbor's kids dropped his M80. He decided to step on it to extinguish it or something. BANG went his shoe and one of his toes. That was the end of his fun for the evening.
Probably not just for the evening.

We had M80s growing up. I think they were banned at some point.
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

The Stupid Thread

Post by northland10 »

neonzx wrote: Sat Jul 06, 2024 2:59 pm
bill_g wrote: Sat Jul 06, 2024 11:01 am Years ago one of our neighbor's kids dropped his M80. He decided to step on it to extinguish it or something. BANG went his shoe and one of his toes. That was the end of his fun for the evening.
Probably not just for the evening.

We had M80s growing up. I think they were banned at some point.
M80s and cherry bombs were not legal in Michigan when I was growing up, and I don't think bottle rockets or even firecrackers were legal (don't remember that one for sure). Of course, there area bunch of firework shops along in the border in Indiana.

We were not without something to create wounds. We did have lawn darts.
101010 :towel:
Mrich

The Stupid Thread

Post by Mrich »

Family legend - My great-granddad and some of his buddies (they were probably about 20) set off some kind of firecracker inside a butter churn. This was about 1900. A piece of wood from the churn hit him in the mouth and knocked out most of his teeth. They took him to a drugstore and a druggist pulled out the ones that were loosely hanging. So he had dentures most of his life.

I'm pretty sure it's true - at least the story did its job and none of us messed with fireworks.
sugar magnolia

The Stupid Thread

Post by sugar magnolia »

Death by firecracker is a terrible legacy. Head or chest? Your choice.
https://www.wsaz.com/2024/07/06/man-kil ... cials-say/
MN-Skeptic

The Stupid Thread

Post by MN-Skeptic »

I remember cherry bombs and M-80s from my high school days (I graduated in '71). Fireworks were not legal at all in Iowa at that time. That didn't stop high school boys from getting hold of them though.

Per Keystone Fireworks -
M80’s – The original M80 was a military simulator that was sold as a firecracker. It contained two grams of flash powder and was responsible for hundreds of serious injuries due to its powerful blast. These items were banned by the CPSC in 1966, and made illegal by ATF in the 1970’s. Illegal M80’s sometimes contain compositions that are sensitive to shock and can injure or kill people. Make no mistake – M80’s are not fireworks. They are dangerous explosives and should not be handled by fireworks consumers.

Cherry Bomb – A cherry bomb is a round firecracker, red in color, and approximately one inch in diameter, with a fuse sticking out the side. The original cherry bomb contained more than one gram of flash powder and was very powerful. These were declared illegal in 1966 by the federal government. They are dangerous and are not considered consumer fireworks.
neonzx

The Stupid Thread

Post by neonzx »

MN-Skeptic wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2024 12:53 am I remember cherry bombs and M-80s from my high school days (I graduated in '71). Fireworks were not legal at all in Iowa at that time. That didn't stop high school boys from getting hold of them though.
:whistle: I know nothing. :twisted:
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: Inventor of flag baseball

The Stupid Thread

Post by Foggy »

OK, but now let's bring it back to the dead moron who put a firework on his personal headbone - we have now ruled out:
  • small firecracker - not powerful enough
  • M80 - illegal and don't exist anymore
  • cherry bomb - illegal and don't exist anymore
  • mortar - flies before exploding
  • rocket - flies before exploding
  • Roman candle - I like Roman candles, but you can't shoot yourself in the headbone with one
This guy had been drinking for hours at a block party. Would he have access to professional level fireworks? Seems doubtful to me.

What in the world did he put on his headbone? :confuzzled:
Katie Porter '28
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

The Stupid Thread

Post by RTH10260 »

I guess a mortar style firework could develop a recoil hard enough to crack the eggshell while delivering the ahhhs and ohhhhs to the sky. :think:
neonzx

The Stupid Thread

Post by neonzx »

Foggy
Dick Tater

The Stupid Thread

Post by Foggy »

I have a mortar and maybe 5 of the explosives that go with it, but I don't know how I would manage to blow one up on my head. They have a very long fuze, to give you time to light it and back away. You drop it in the mortar, right side up and with the fuze trailing out. You light the fuze and get back to safety. Then it flies up - mine go about 200 feet (61 meters) up - and then they finally explode into stars or whatever. There's a boom as it leaves the mortar, and a bigger boom several seconds later when it explodes. I used to really enjoy things that fly up in the air and go boom.

Maybe if you got the first boom on top of your head? :confuzzled:
Katie Porter '28
Foggy
Dick Tater

The Stupid Thread

Post by Foggy »

neonzx wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2024 7:09 am
That's the classic video of a white man who can't dance but the beer told him that he's an excellent dancer. :lol:
Katie Porter '28
Foggy
Dick Tater

The Stupid Thread

Post by Foggy »

OMFG, it happened again in Washington state.

This time it was 2:30 a.m. and his young children were watching. :blackeye:

https://www.kiro7.com/news/local/man-lo ... PDKRL4KDQ/
Katie Porter '28
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

The Stupid Thread

Post by bill_g »

Someone burned off the last $1000 worth of leftover fireworks they had around 11pm last night. Couldn't see a thing through the trees. They were SE of us. Close enough to hear real good. Sounded like a war. There was very little hesitation between each explosion. Big stuff. Littler stuff. Bigger stuff. OMG - where there hell did you buy THAT stuff. I swear some of the percussion was automatic fire. Lasted a good half hour.
bob

The Stupid Thread

Post by bob »

Foggy wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2024 6:30 amWould he have access to professional level fireworks?
Some states (and nearby countries) sell what I call near-commercial-grade fireworks. Like you can buy them off the street, but they perform like the smaller fireworks in a professional's show.

But they usually launch themselves out of a tube, and there's some delay between launch and explosion. So my total WAG would be a fuse failure, i.e., what should have been a 5-second delay turned out to be a .5-second delay.
Image ImageImage
northland10

The Stupid Thread

Post by northland10 »

bob wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2024 4:14 pm
Foggy wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2024 6:30 amWould he have access to professional level fireworks?
Some states (and nearby countries) sell what I call near-commercial-grade fireworks. Like you can buy them off the street, but they perform like the smaller fireworks in a professional's show.

But they usually launch themselves out of a tube, and there's some delay between launch and explosion. So my total WAG would be a fuse failure, i.e., what should have been a 5-second delay turned out to be a .5-second delay.
The Uncle Sam-dressed dude was also running around with a cigarette in his mouth. Explosives and burning tobacco (fueld by booze) are not a good mix.
bob

The Stupid Thread

Post by bob »

northland10 wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2024 4:30 pm The Uncle Sam-dressed dude was also running around with a cigarette in his mouth. Explosives and burning tobacco (fueld by booze) are not a good mix.
Oh, no doubt.

But I grok Foogy's fascination. If someone put a lit firework under their hat, I suspect the launched firework would just fly up with the hat.

But if someone put the crown of a hat on the ground, put a firework into the hat, lit the fuse, and put the hat on their head (right side up) so the firework was now pointing at their head ... well, I don't have enough of a scientific background to predict where the firework would try to go before exploding.
Image ImageImage
northland10

The Stupid Thread

Post by northland10 »

bob wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2024 4:37 pm
northland10 wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2024 4:30 pm The Uncle Sam-dressed dude was also running around with a cigarette in his mouth. Explosives and burning tobacco (fueld by booze) are not a good mix.
Oh, no doubt.

But I grok Foogy's fascination. If someone put a lit firework under their hat, I suspect the launched firework would just fly up with the hat.

But if someone put the crown of a hat on the ground, put a firework into the hat, lit the fuse, and put the hat on their head (right side up) so the firework was now pointing at their head ... well, I don't have enough of a scientific background to predict where the firework would try to go before exploding.
Newton might point a 3rd issue that could cause the wearer of the firework hat some discomfort.
neonzx

The Stupid Thread

Post by neonzx »

Motorcyclist dies from heat exposure in Death Valley amid record-breaking temperatures

https://fox59.com/news/national-world/m ... peratures/
LAS VEGAS (KLAS) – A motorcyclist died from heat exposure in Death Valley National Park on Saturday amid record-breaking temperatures, according to Death Valley officials.

Park officials said the visitor, who was part of a group of motorcyclists traveling through the Death Valley, died near Badwater Basin, in Inyo County, California, from heat exposure. Another motorcyclist was treated for severe heat illness and transported to Las Vegas. Four others were treated onsite and released.

Preliminary data showed that Saturday and Sunday’s high temperature at Death Valley was 128 degrees Fahrenheit, which surpassed the previous official record of 127 degrees, recorded in 2007.

Due to the high temperatures, emergency medical flight helicopters were unable to respond, as they generally cannot fly safely over 120 degrees, according to Death Valley.

“High heat like this can pose real threats to your health,” Park Superintendent Mike Reynolds said. “While this is a very exciting time to experience potential world record setting temperatures in Death Valley, we encourage visitors to choose their activities carefully, avoiding prolonged periods of time outside of an air-conditioned vehicle or building when temperatures are this high.”

I did not know that about helicopters. :think:

Anyway, if you're in a place named Death Valley, that might be a clue... :shrug:
keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

The Stupid Thread

Post by keith »

Fireworks were completely illegal in Arizona in the 60's.

We had M80s, cherry bombs, screaming mimis, rockets, lots of stuff.

Mexico is less than an hours drive from Tucson.
Be assured that a walk through the ocean of most souls Would scarcely get your feet wet
Suranis

The Stupid Thread

Post by Suranis »

neonzx wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2024 12:08 pm Anyway, if you're in a place named Death Valley, that might be a clue... :shrug:
When you are a knight of the road, the Government cant tell you what to do, and the warnings are just to restrict your freedum. Gawd will protect yew.
Hic sunt dracones
Rolodex

The Stupid Thread

Post by Rolodex »

It'll be fun when all those pesky gubbmint regulations are removed and we can do what we want and companies can sell that bag o' broken glass the kids love to play with!
Do the right thing. It will gratify some people and astonish the rest. - Mark Twain
bill_g

The Stupid Thread

Post by bill_g »

Shut up and eat your asbestos. It's good for you.
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

The Stupid Thread

Post by RTH10260 »

Supreme Court Justice Sotomayor’s bodyguards shoot would-be carjacker outside her home

Ronny Reyes and Joe Marino
Published July 9, 2024 Updated July 9, 2024, 3:12 p.m. ET

Two deputy US Marshals shot a would-be carjacker who pulled a gun on him while they were guarding Supreme Court Justice Sonia Sotomayor’s home in Washington, DC, authorities said.

The marshals were parked outside Sotomayor’s home in northwest DC on July 5 when Kentrell Flowers, 18, allegedly walked up to one of their cars around 1:15 a.m. and pointed a gun one of the federal agents, the US Marshals Service told The Post.

One of the federal agents drew his weapon and fired several shots at the suspect, with the second officer also firing his weapon at Flowers.

Flowers, of Southeast DC, was arrested and treated at a local hospital for non-life-threatening injuries, officials said.

https://nypost.com/2024/07/09/us-news/s ... -her-home/
noblepa

The Stupid Thread

Post by noblepa »

bill_g wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2024 3:12 pm Shut up and eat your asbestos. It's good for you.
And Joe Camel says "all the cool sixth graders smoke unfiltered Camels".
bill_g

The Stupid Thread

Post by bill_g »

noblepa wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2024 4:57 pm
bill_g wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2024 3:12 pm Shut up and eat your asbestos. It's good for you.
And Joe Camel says "all the cool sixth graders smoke unfiltered Camels".
My first cigs were made from bubble gum. Even came in a pack.

Return to “Whatever Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”