The General thread for Computers And Internet

RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

Newsletter writer covering Evolve Bank’s data breach says the bank sent him a cease and desist letter

Mary Ann Azevedo Lorenzo Franceschi-Bicchierai
2:04 PM PDT • July 2, 2024

The situation around a data breach that’s affected an ever-growing number of fintech companies has gotten even weirder. Evolve Bank & Trust announced last week that it was hacked and confirmed the stolen data has been posted to the dark web. Now Evolve has sent a cease and desist letter to the writer of a newsletter who has been covering the ongoing situation.

Jason Mikula, author of respected industry publication Fintech Business Weekly, told TechCrunch that he received a cease and desist letter from the bank telling him not to share files from the dark web with any allegedly impacted fintech companies.

Mikula told TechCrunch that he wasn’t actually doing such sharing but he was offering to do so and did see some of the files. Looking at hacked information is a common practice among journalists when reporting on security breaches as a way to confirm that a breach happened and what was taken.

In this case, Mikula said he’s connected with four people who have access to some of the files that were stolen in the breach and posted on the dark web and has reviewed some of the data himself.

The crux of the problem is that not all the impacted fintechs have received details about what information was stolen in the breach, according to Mikula’s industry sources.

https://techcrunch.com/2024/07/02/evolv ... ta-breach/
keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

Post by keith »

Okay I'm making progress.

Couple of months ago my C drive crashed. It has taken me awhile to get everything reinstalled, repassworded, and operating smoothly again.

The tech that diagnosed it and fixed the issue did a good job but he messed up a couple of things.

The main one being he reformatted my big disk which first of all didn't have to be touched at all in anyway shape or form, and second of all he wiped the partition setup. I had a second partition for my virtual machine files on there. All content was saved so that isn't too bad.

But after putting everything back together, the VM performance was BAD, BAD, BAD. So I've been fiddling with the VM set up for a couple of months to no avail. Today I figured out a big piece. The tech had also turned off VM Assist in my BIOS. (If you are running on a Gigabyte Motherboard its called VT-d and its under the 'Miscellaneous' heading on the "SETTINGS" page.)

After setting VT-d on, the VM performance is certainly not fast like it was before the crash, but it isn't slow like it has been either.

Its just kinda half-fast now.

So I'm hoping that I can restore the VM definition like it was before I started messing with it. I probably have too many cores defined or something.
Be assured that a walk through the ocean of most souls Would scarcely get your feet wet
Reality Check
Verified: ✅ Curmudgeon

Post by Reality Check »

I got my weather station back up and running this week. I had it boxed up for 4 years since our last move. I have it on Weather Underground by connecting to the internet with a Raspberry Pi 3 micro PC running CumulusMX Linux software. The station is a Davis Vantage Pro 2 wireless. Davis Instruments is the Cadillac of weather instruments. I have had it mounted at 3 different locations and it still works fine. I forgot everything I once knew about Linux so I had to relearn a few things to get everything running.
Hidden Content
This board requires you to be registered and logged-in to view hidden content.
Mr brolin
Verified: ✅ as vaguely humanoid

Post by Mr brolin »

Love my Raspberry Pi's..... :biggrin:

Since work makes me go to various places and countries including those that tend to be a little too invested in monitoring peoples internet activity, the Pi's are very useful to protect my traffic data.

I have 2 Pi's running seperate VPN servers (Wireguard and OpenVPN) on my home network so all my traffic gets encrypted and tunnelled and for extra fun and games, for REALLY nobby countries I tunnel the VPN traffic through TOR hidden services to the PI's.

For those who want a pretty pain free and fairly simple way to set up and run a solid VPN server at home with hardware that cost about 40 bucks, go to https://www.pivpn.io/
Reality Check

Post by Reality Check »

Mr brolin wrote: Sat Jul 06, 2024 3:55 pm Love my Raspberry Pi's..... :biggrin:
:snippity:
Yes, they are very versatile. I originally bought this RP3 in 2016 to run the weather software but before long I added a portable hard drive and software to to share it on my network. I shared an old black and white laser printer that had no networking capability built in. It did all those things without a problem. Plus the power consumption is very low. I use SSH and do any maintenance through a terminal window on a PC using PuTTY.
Mr brolin

Post by Mr brolin »

Reality Check wrote: Sat Jul 06, 2024 6:24 pm
Mr brolin wrote: Sat Jul 06, 2024 3:55 pm Love my Raspberry Pi's..... :biggrin:
:snippity:
Yes, they are very versatile. I originally bought this RP3 in 2016 to run the weather software but before long I added a portable hard drive and software to to share it on my network. I shared an old black and white laser printer that had no networking capability built in. It did all those things without a problem. Plus the power consumption is very low. I use SSH and do any maintenance through a terminal window on a PC using PuTTY.
Only problem us they seems to breed when I'm not looking.....8-) I'll turn around and another appears to appear as if by magic.

Looking to get the size down even further and up the capability, running a test bed with a couple of Compute Module 4's with a Waveshare "Nano" carrier board.

Literally not much larger than half a credit card footprint and running a full Security Event and Incident Management server (Wazuh) for 25 PC's and Pi's mainly with the family members who are less diligent about clicking on dodgy links, failing to patch etc.

If you want "away from home network" remote access, particularly if you have an Internet service provider who changes your external IP address or you don't want to open a port for VPN, I heartily recommend looking at Zerotier. Creates a virtual ethernet network you can manage yourself, has clients for pretty much any OS and free for up to 25 machines.
John Thomas8

Post by John Thomas8 »

I enjoy watching rctestflight program Arduino boards to control his long distance FPV boat missions, and the planes he's done.
Reality Check

Post by Reality Check »

Mr brolin wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2024 4:22 am :snippity:

If you want "away from home network" remote access, particularly if you have an Internet service provider who changes your external IP address or you don't want to open a port for VPN, I heartily recommend looking at Zerotier. Creates a virtual ethernet network you can manage yourself, has clients for pretty much any OS and free for up to 25 machines.
:thumbsup: That looks like what I need. We spend half of the year in Floriduh and I would like to be able to use SSH to get to the RP3 to run the CumulusMX interface for troubleshooting.
Mr brolin

Post by Mr brolin »

Reality Check wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2024 12:58 pm
Mr brolin wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2024 4:22 am :snippity:

:thumbsup: That looks like what I need. We spend half of the year in Floriduh and I would like to be able to use SSH to get to the RP3 to run the CumulusMX interface for troubleshooting.
If you aren't too fussed by occasionally higher latency, SSH'ing via TOR Hidden Sevice is easy and lightweight, so long as your laptop/desktop SSH client supports connection via a Socks5 proxy (I'm a happy user of Bitvise).

Return to “Computers and Internet”