Should President Joe Biden Drop Out of the 2024 Presidential Race? Poll & Editorials

Should President Joe Biden Drop Out of the 2024 Presidential Race?

Yes
13%
No
85%
Other (explain)
2%

Total votes: 53

Luke
Location: @orly_licious With Pete Buttigieg and the other "open and defiant homosexuals" --Bryan Fischer AFA

Should President Joe Biden Drop Out of the 2024 Presidential Race? Poll & Editorials

Post by Luke »

Our group at Fogbow has some of the smartest, kindest, and most politically savvy people I know. Media coverage has been off the charts. Some of the editorials have been thoughtful from people who admire, respect, and love Joe Biden.

The question to consider over the holiday weekend: What should President Biden do now? Wait it out? Keep at it? He is a true patriot and legend. Is staying in the race the best thing for America, which we know is his top priority?

I expect strong and heartfelt opinions will be expressed in this topic and welcome them, there's no "right or wrong" answer. I love President Biden and this is not in any way a Biden-bashing topic. It's a serious question about the other elephant in the room: How important is defeating Trump? Is that our top priority? Is having another presidential candidate the only way to stop Donald?

Counterpoint on Morning Joe:
Josh Shapiro's take away this morning: Joe Biden had a bad night. Trump was a bad president. Nothing about the debate last night changes that trajectory and the clear contrast: The middle class will be screwed if Trump is back. We need to litigate that going forward. Democrats need to stop worrying and start working. He brings up the accomplishments: We produce more energy than ever. More people will go to work today than ever before. The economy and Biden's accomplishments are exemplary. We have a responsibility to tell the good people of this nation why President Biden should be re-elected.

Here are two editorials. Thomas Friedman of the NY Times has been a family friend and totally supportive of President Biden. RawStory has been one of the top progressive news sites for decades. Here are their takes. Please post others you find that would be interesting.

JOE BIDEN MUST DROP OUT
Raw Story Editorial Board

In its 20-year history, Raw Story — the largest independent U.S. progressive news site — has never issued an editorial, let alone endorsed a political candidate. But given the events of last night’s presidential debate, that history must change today.

When you’re president, your main job is to make good decisions and keep the country running smoothly and safely, both domestically and internationally.

When you’re running for president as a candidate, though, your job is quite different: your new job is to inspire hope, communicate your leadership vision and turn out the vote.

In this regard, President Joe Biden — as correct as he's been on policy — has failed. For months, we've watched Biden, who would be 86 years old on the last day of his second term come Jan. 20, 2029, lose the vitality, vigor and mental sharpness that marked his time as a senator and vice president.

Last night, Biden confirmed that on the biggest of stages, pitted against his most formidable foe, Donald Trump, that he's no longer up to the challenge of securing the nation's future as a robust democracy. Biden provided irrefutable evidence that he is incapable of leading this country forward in the 21st century.

It's vital to acknowledge that Biden has led the country through an extraordinarily difficult time in American history. He inherited the worst mess from a predecessor since Franklin Delano Roosevelt became president after Herbert Hoover crashed the country into the Great Depression.

Biden has shepherded groundbreaking infrastructure and climate bills. He was the first Democrat since Lyndon B. Johnson to openly repudiate neoliberalism and put America back on FDR's progressive track. He's aided student borrowers. He's taken on giant monopolies, big banks, dysfunctional airlines and big polluters. And he’s defended democracy valiantly in Ukraine and around the world, which now, again, respects America.

Biden has also nominated some of the most diverse and brilliant judges and agency heads in the history of our nation. He's been a consequential president, perhaps the most consequential in the lifetime of many of us, even boomers.

But whoever made the decision to put Biden head-to-head against a felonious reality TV star with no moral compass should never again darken the doors of a Democratic campaign.

More importantly, because CNN licensed last night’s debate to all the other networks, and therefore will almost certainly turn out to have had the largest presidential debate TV audience in American history, it’s time for the Democratic Party see what everyone else in America did: Biden cannot serve for four more years.

This election is too important to indulge one man's desire to hang onto his office. The winner of this election will literally define the future of democracy as a form of governance both in America and worldwide. And the success — or failure — of the Democratic presidential candidate will have far-reaching effects on U.S. Senate and U.S. House races that will determine whether Republicans or Democrats win majorities.

As late in the election season as we may be, it's not too late for the Democratic Party to replace Biden. It’s not as if the Democratic Party is lacking in talent. There are some superstars and some sleepers. And a decision about the Democratic Party's presidential nominee isn't real and official until late August when the Democratic National Convention takes place in Chicago. Making a change is a mind-boggling responsibility, but Democrats may have little choice if they want to win a White House that Biden is at grave risk of losing.

Biden has done an admirable job in his role as president. But it’s time for serious soul-searching. It's time for the Democrats to do what's both difficult and necessary. It's time for Joe Biden to retire with the gratitude of the nation and step aside for that nation's good.
https://www.rawstory.com/drop-out/

Yashar Ali 🐘 @yashar
New York Times columnist Tom Friedman, who is a personal friend of President Biden’s, calls for him to drop out of the race. “I watched the Biden-Trump debate alone in a Lisbon hotel room, and it made me weep. I cannot remember a more heartbreaking moment in American presidential campaign politics in my lifetime — precisely because of what it revealed: Joe Biden, a good man and a good president, has no business running for re-election.”

Gift Link: https://bit.ly/3RQPTyf
OPINION THOMAS L. FRIEDMAN
Joe Biden Is a Good Man and a Good President. He Must Bow Out of the Race.
June 28, 2024
Opinion Columnist, reporting from Lisbon.

I watched the Biden-Trump debate alone in a Lisbon hotel room, and it made me weep. I cannot remember a more heartbreaking moment in American presidential campaign politics in my lifetime — precisely because of what it revealed: Joe Biden, a good man and a good president, has no business running for re-election. And Donald Trump, a malicious man and a petty president, has learned nothing and forgotten nothing. He is the same fire hose of lies he always was, obsessed with his grievances — nowhere close to what it will take for America to lead in the 21st century.

The Biden family and political team must gather quickly and have the hardest of conversations with the president, a conversation of love and clarity and resolve. To give America the greatest shot possible of deterring the Trump threat in November, the president has to come forward and declare that he will not be running for re-election and is releasing all of his delegates for the Democratic National Convention.

The Republican Party — if its leaders had an ounce of integrity — would demand the same, but it won’t, because they don’t. That makes it all the more important that Democrats put the country’s interests first and announce that a public process will begin for different Democratic candidates to compete for the nomination — town halls, debates, meetings with donors, you name it. Yes, it could be chaotic and messy when the Democratic convention starts on Aug. 19 in Chicago, but I think the Trump threat would be sufficiently grave that delegates could quickly rally around and nominate a consensus candidate.

If Vice President Kamala Harris wants to compete, she should. But voters deserve an open process in search of a Democratic presidential nominee who can unite not only the party but the country, by offering something neither man on that Atlanta stage did on Thursday night: a compelling description of where the world is right now and a compelling vision for what America can and must do to keep leading it — morally, economically and diplomatically.

Because this is no ordinary hinge of history we are at. We are at the start of the biggest technological disruptions and the biggest climate disruption in human history. We are at the dawn of an artificial intelligence revolution that is going to change EVERYTHING FOR EVERYONE — how we work, how we learn, how we teach, how we trade, how we invent, how we collaborate, how we fight wars, how we commit crimes and how we fight crimes. Maybe I missed it, but I did not hear the phrase “artificial intelligence” mentioned by either man at the debate.

If there was ever a time that the world needs an America at its best, led by its best, it is now — for great dangers and opportunities are now upon us. A younger Joe Biden could have been that leader, but time has finally caught up with him. And that was painfully and inescapably obvious on Thursday.

Biden has been a friend of mine since we traveled to Afghanistan and Pakistan together after 9/11, when he chaired the Senate Foreign Relations Committee, so I say all of the above with great sadness.

But if he caps his presidency now, by acknowledging that because of age he is not up to a second term, his first and only term will be remembered as among the better presidencies in our history.He saved us from a second Trump term and for that alone he deserves the Presidential Medal of Freedom, but he also enacted important legislation crucial to confronting the climate and technology revolutions now upon us.

I had been ready to give Biden the benefit of the doubt up to now, because during the times I engaged with him one on one, I found him up to the job. He clearly is not any longer. His family and his staff had to have known that. They have been holed up at Camp David preparing for this momentous debate for days now. If that is the best performance they could summon from him, it’s time for Joe to keep the dignity he deserves and leave the stage at the end of this term.

If he does, everyday Americans will hail Joe Biden for doing what Donald Trump would never do — put the country before himself.

If he insists on running and he loses to Trump, Biden and his family — and his staff and party members who enabled him — will not be able to show their faces.

They deserve better. America needs better. The world needs better.

Restless night. I'm still thinking about it, but leaning toward Josh Shapiro's position. Blaming Biden's team or debate moderators won't change anything. I set the poll so that votes are changeable as we all consider the alternatives.
Lt Root Beer of the Mighty 699th. Fogbow 💙s titular Mama June in Fogbow's Favourite Show™ Mama June: From Not To Hot! Fogbow's Theme Song™ Edith Massey's "I Got The Evidence!" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5jDHZd0JAg
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: and it's really me

Post by Foggy »

It's too early late to panic. :panic:
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

Time to build up a new VP behind the scenes, then at the DNC stand down for Harris and her VP.
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

It's interesting we can tout Biden and his cabinet's numerous accomplishments, but because of a badly run debate (little if any moderation, from what I hear), a cold, and the usual firehouse of lies, suddenly he should quit. Hmmm.
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: and it's really me

Post by Foggy »

I don't even know what "drop out" actually means in terms of actual things that might happen.

I voted for Joe Biden in my primary election. Do I get to vote for his replacement, or is someone going to simply erase my voice?

Are there states that will honor the primary vote and keep Biden on the ballot?

Are any Democrats gonna try to force him off the ballot, like by sabotaging the convention?

If so, can I force Liz Warren to be on the ballot (and win)?

These are questions. :confuzzled:
SuzieC
Verified:

Post by SuzieC »

I also voted for Joe Biden in my primary election. How many Democrats voted for him across the USA? Do millions of votes get erased because of one shaky debate performance? Just because an array of pearl-clutching pundits think Biden had a bad night? I'm not at all surprised by Tom Friedman at the NYT. The NYT has decided upon its narrative and it is set in stone: Biden is old. They want Trump elected. They might as well just come out and endorse him already.
Flatpoint High
Occupation: professional pain in the ass, voice actor & keeper of the straight face
Verified:

Post by Flatpoint High »

Biden did perform poorly, and camera-wise, he got "NIxoned" by Trump's bronzer. Trump looked good/healthy on camera, while Biden looked like a sheet. The lapses weren't helping either
castigat ridendo mores.
VELOCIUS QUAM ASPARAGI COQUANTUR
RVInit

Post by RVInit »

Joe Biden has proven to me, and I believe to most of you, that is more than fit to be President. His accomplishments are impressive, solid, meaningful, and real.

I agree with part of the first article above - Joe Biden's job as a candidate is different than Joe Biden's job as President. As a candidate, he has to convince the undecided voters that he's the best person on the ballot to serve as President. Regardless of his performance last night I do believe he is the best person on the ballot to serve as President. The problem is that he didn't need to convince me. He needed to convince people who aren't already convinced.

IMO Biden made things far worse for himself, and us, last night. He needed to be not just coherent, which at least half the time, he wasn't. But he needed to sound hale and hearty, strong, and in charge. And he didn't. And the kind of people he needed to convince are not going to be watching as Biden's Vice President and Cabinet get out there and try to remind people that the Presidency is more than just one person, it's a large team, and Joe Biden is the one who does, and will have a strong, competent, highly capable team while Donald Trump will recruit the dregs of society. It's all well and good for that to happen, but if the kind of people that need convincing were the kind of people that will make time to listen to whatever repair work the Biden team can come up with, they would already be decided for Biden a long time ago. I certainly think they should do this anyway, ad nauseum, every single goddam day on every platform possible. I'm not for giving up and giving in, but I'm not a fool or a Pollyanna either. Biden turned an uphill battle into something significantly harder at this point.

Biden needed the sound bite voters, the ones who are only going to spend 5 minutes listening to "reaction". Does anyone have any doubt as to what those people are going to hear for the next nauseating few months? They aren't going to suddenly immerse themselves into meaningful discussion about facts, policy, and what's at stake.

And all Trump has to do is quit while he's ahead. I wouldn't bother with the second debate if I were him, he has nothing to gain that wasn't already gained last night. We can act like he's stupid all we want, but he's smart enough to know that much.
“A know-it-all is a person who knows everything except for how annoying he is.”

— Demetri Martin
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

No, absolutely not. Yes, he's old. Yes, he had a bad night. Yes, I cringed repeatedly.

But I think we should dance with the one that brought us, I think it would be a worse look overall if we abandoned an older gentleman because he got tripped up a few times.
My Crested Yorkie, Gilda and her amazing hair.

ImageImageImage x4
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

No.

Next?
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

Observation, based on my extended family. Every single person who thinks Biden should drop out skips right over Harris as a possible replacement, because they "don't think she can win."

To me, the "drop out" reflex is a fruitless search for a perfect candidate* that is not old, female, black, or LGBT. Not because anyone in my family (I'm lucky) is ageist, sexist, racist, or homophobic, but because they worry what "other people" will do.

*or in this case, a better debate performer
Reality Check
Verified: ✅ Curmudgeon

Post by Reality Check »

p0rtia wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2024 9:35 am No.

Next?
:yeahthat:
New Turtle

Post by New Turtle »

I don't see last night flipping any Biden voters to Trump, and the ones who are disappointed or calling for hom to drop out are gonna vote for him anyway if he's on the ballot. I think after last night, the sentiment increased among the undecideds that there are no good options. That could be a problem, but a fixable one over the next few months.

The media surrogates and Demoratic donor class should take a page from the other side and stay the course. No matter what happened in that debate, the Trump media were gonna clip the worst moments from Joe and pass them around. But they've been doing this for the last few years and from their side, it's nothing new. Except for all the pundit freakouts- that hasn't really happened to this level before. Hopefully they will move on to the next big story as quickly as they do whenever the former guy does something much worse.
New Turtle

Post by New Turtle »

p0rtia wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2024 9:41 am Observation, based on my extended family. Every single person who thinks Biden should drop out skips right over Harris as a possible replacement, because they "don't think she can win."

To me, the "drop out" reflex is a fruitless search for a perfect candidate* that is not old, female, black, or LGBT. Not because anyone in my family (I'm lucky) is ageist, sexist, racist, or homophobic, but because they worry what "other people" will do.

*or in this case, a better debate performer
Yeah, the ones on TV last night calling for him to drop out, they are basically saying they are fine with Harris as VP, as long as she doesn't have to actually step up and be president. One of them was saying Joe should release his delegates and the winner at the convention should keep Harris on the ticket as VP. They are scared Joe is gonna die in office and if it were a younger president instead, they wouldn't have to worry about VP.
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

Interesting.

You'd think Dems would notice how incredibly racist the "pass over Harris" shit is.

It's interesting to note how many of my favorite never-fuckhead ex-Republicans on the Twitter today are screaming for Biden to go away. Steve Schmidt leads the list. As if they would have ever made that call when they were supporting a Bush or McCain or Romney. So pathetic.
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

Personally, I think Harris would be a kick-ass president and it pisses me off that people dismiss her. She was my favorite back in 2020 and I was thrilled Joe picked her as VP.
My Crested Yorkie, Gilda and her amazing hair.

ImageImageImage x4
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

Absolutely not. The whole idea is ludicrous.

But hey if you want to have the Democratic party tearing its throat out in a battle for the leadership in the middle of an election, go for it.

Hell, I think people called for Obama to drop out after the first debate back in 2012 too. Everything old is new again in ratfucking propoganda circles.
Hic sunt dracones
RVInit

Post by RVInit »

Slim Cognito wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2024 10:14 am Personally, I think Harris would be a kick-ass president and it pisses me off that people dismiss her. She was my favorite back in 2020 and I was thrilled Joe picked her as VP.
:yeahthat:

— Demetri Martin
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

Biden had a bad night, tfg has a toxic weltanschauung.

Do I wish we had someone other than Biden up there, yes.

If wishes were fishes we'd all swim in riches.

You run what ya brung.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
Mr brolin
Verified: ✅ as vaguely humanoid

Post by Mr brolin »

I think the better answer is YES he should have gracefully stepped down and allowed for a candidate with a better chance of survivng another 4 years of one of the most stressful jobs in the world and NO, now it's basically too late.
RVInit

Post by RVInit »

Biden could pass away or be 25th amendeded by his Cabinet the day after inauguration and we would still be better off than if Trump is elected.

— Demetri Martin
raison de arizona

Like the mouse says, everything old is new again.
Aaron Fritschner @Fritschner wrote: This evening's hysteria will be of particular interest to the leading biographers of presidents Mondale, Dole, Kerry, and Romney
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
realist

Post by realist »

RTH10260 wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2024 8:18 am Time to build up a new VP behind the scenes, then at the DNC stand down for Harris and her VP.
It’s ridiculous to think Biden should “drop
Out” whatever that means. As for Harris, there is no way in hell she could win a national election. Hopefully if Biden wins, and I think he will, she won’t get the nod in the next election either.
Image X 4
Image X 32
raison de arizona

realist wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2024 11:06 am
RTH10260 wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2024 8:18 am Time to build up a new VP behind the scenes, then at the DNC stand down for Harris and her VP.
It’s ridiculous to think Biden should “drop
Out” whatever that means. As for Harris, there is no way in hell she could win a national election. Hopefully if Biden wins, and I think he will, she won’t get the nod in the next election either.
I was all-in for Harris in the OG horse race, still got the t-shirt. But she has failed to impress me in the VP role. Unfortunately.

But look at the competition.
raison de arizona

https://x.com/Lawrence/status/1806700781921337716
Lawrence O'Donnell @Lawrence wrote: Washington was filled with panic talk of replacing the Democratic nominee at exactly this time in 1992.

Gallop poll June 1992

Perot 39%

Bush 31%

Clinton 25%

Return to “US President”