General Law and Lawsuits

sugar magnolia

General Law and Lawsuits

Post by sugar magnolia »

Well hell, the judge got in a pissing match with the other attorney (Adams) after he found Steel in contempt and before he was actually removed. I missed that exchange yesterday and only saw the removing him part of it. I would be fit to be tied if I was ANY of those attorneys, defense or prosecution. Paraphrasing the MAGAts "If he can do it to them, he can do it to us.
bob

General Law and Lawsuits

Post by bob »

realist wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2024 3:39 pm
Edit: If as bob posited the judge believes the reporter is the subject of a leak, he has every right to replace the reporter, and deal with it after the trial.
To be sure, no court reporter has the "right" to be anywhere. Court reporters have been banished from a particular judge's courtroom for the most venal of reasons.

But given all these shenanigans, I'm surprised the entire staff hasn't been replaced.
Image ImageImage
Sam the Centipede

General Law and Lawsuits

Post by Sam the Centipede »

bob wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2024 4:49 pm
realist wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2024 3:39 pm
Edit: If as bob posited the judge believes the reporter is the subject of a leak, he has every right to replace the reporter, and deal with it after the trial.
To be sure, no court reporter has the "right" to be anywhere. Court reporters have been banished from a particular judge's courtroom for the most venal of reasons.

But given all these shenanigans, I'm surprised the entire staff hasn't been replaced.
:think: venial??
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

General Law and Lawsuits

Post by raison de arizona »

Not your typical trial news site.
THUGGERDAILY ひ @ThuggerDaily wrote: UPDATE: Brian Steel has been granted Supersedeas Bond by the Supreme Court of Georgia.

He will not need to go to jail, while waiting for his Contempt order to be appealed.

Brian Steel’s emergency Motion for Bond has been transferred to the Supreme Court of Georgia.

The Court of Appeals says because the underlying case is a criminal prosecution with a murder count, the Supreme Court of Georgia has jurisdiction.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

General Law and Lawsuits

Post by RTH10260 »

8 Black men removed from American Airlines flight for 'body odor,' lawsuit claims

By FOX TV Digital TeamUpdated
May 31, 2024 1:56pm CDT

Three men have filed a racial discrimination lawsuit against American Airlines, claiming they and five other Black men were selectively removed from a flight from Phoenix to New York because of "body odor" complaints, only to be let back on the plane an hour later.

The men – Alvin Jackson, Emmanuel Jean Joseph and Xavier Veal – were flying from Phoenix to JFK Airport in New York in January when the incident occurred.

According to the lawsuit, an American Airlines representative approached several Black men on the plane, all of whom had flown separately, and "ordered them off the plane immediately, without explanation."

"In fact, it appeared to plaintiffs that American had ordered all of the Black male passengers on Flight 832 off the plane," the lawsuit states.

When the passengers demanded to know why they were removed, they were told there was a "complaint about body odor," the lawsuit states.

"Plaintiffs were not told that they personally had body odor, and in fact none of the Plaintiffs had offensive body odor. When Plaintiffs pointed out that it looked like they had been singled out because they were Black, at least one of the American representatives said, ‘I agree. I agree,’" according to the lawsuit.

The men were all reportedly told they’d have to be rebooked on another flight, but the lawsuit says American wasn’t able to rebook them on different flights, so they were let back on the same plane after about an hour of waiting.

"Plaintiffs then had to reboard the plane and endure the stares of the largely white passengers who viewed them as the cause of the substantial delay," the lawsuit states.

Joseph, one of the plaintiffs, requested a different seat to avoid interacting with the White male flight attendant who initially made them deplane.

"There was an available seat in first class that American could have given to Mr. Joseph," the lawsuit states. "Instead, American staff upgraded an Asian woman to first class, and then allowed Mr. Joseph to take her assigned seat in coach."

https://www.fox7austin.com/news/america ... en-removed

ETA was also posted at https://thefogbow.com/forum/viewtopic.p ... 66#p264666
RTH10260

General Law and Lawsuits

Post by RTH10260 »

cause it popped up in my feed, FWIW
Camp Lejeune Water Contamination Lawsuit: Deadline and Other Updates 🚨

Veterans Disability Lawyers | Berry Law
17 views 19 Jun 2024

The deadline to file your Camp Lejeune water contamination lawsuit is August 10th, 2024! Were you stationed at Camp Lejeune between 1953 and 1987 and diagnosed with cancer or another serious illness? You may be entitled to compensation.

This video covers:

➡️The August 10th deadline and what it means for you
➡️How much you could receive in a settlement (settlements have ranged from $100,000 to $550,000!)
➡️How the lawsuit affects your VA benefits
➡️What to expect from the legal process

<removed lawyers link>

0:00 Intro
0:30 Attorney Fees: What You Need to Know
1:00 Settlement Amounts: What You Could Receive
1:40 How the Lawsuit Affects Your VA Benefits
2:00 The Legal Process: What to Expect
2:30 Don't Miss the Deadline!
Video
► Show Spoiler
Frater I*I
Verified: ✅Verified Devilish Hyena

General Law and Lawsuits

Post by Frater I*I »

RTH10260 wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2024 7:24 pm :snippity:
The deadline to file your Camp Lejeune water contamination lawsuit is August 10th, 2024! Were you stationed at Camp Lejeune between 1953 and 1987 and diagnosed with cancer or another serious illness? You may be entitled to compensation.

:snippity:
I was there off and on between 94-96...
"He sewed his eyes shut because he is afraid to see, He tries to tell me what I put inside of me
He's got the answers to ease my curiosity, He dreamed a god up and called it Christianity"

Trent Reznor
RTH10260

General Law and Lawsuits

Post by RTH10260 »

Hawai'i
Court orders deconstruction of Big Island house built on wrong lot

By Jeremy Lee
Jun 25, 2024 Updated 5 mins ago

Court mandates removal of house on wrong lot

A judge ordered a house, built mistakenly on the wrong lot in Hawaiian Paradise Park, to be removed.

HAWAIIAN PARADISE PARK, Hawaii (Island News) -- A Hawaii County judge ordered an "illegal" house, built by mistake on the wrong lot, to be removed.

The house itself cost roughly $300,000 to construct on a one-acre lot worth approximately $100,000, on the current market with clear title.
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

General Law and Lawsuits

Post by raison de arizona »

They can't just trade lots? :thumbsup:
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
sugar magnolia

General Law and Lawsuits

Post by sugar magnolia »

raison de arizona wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2024 11:11 pm They can't just trade lots? :thumbsup:
I think that's the one where the woman went out to the lot and spoke to the trees and meditated or something, and they told her to buy it and build a house. The trees didn't like the alternate lot they offered.
RTH10260

General Law and Lawsuits

Post by RTH10260 »

I drop this here cause it's a tangent on a court case
Feds charge 5, including man acquitted at trial, with conspiring to bribe Minnesota juror with $120K

BY MICHAEL GOLDBERG
Updated 4:42 AM CEST, June 27, 2024

MINNEAPOLIS (AP) — Five people were charged Wednesday with conspiring to bribe a Minnesota juror with a bag of $120,000 in cash in exchange for the acquittal of defendants in one of the country’s largest COVID-19-related fraud cases, the U.S. Attorney’s Office and the FBI announced Wednesday.

Court documents made public reveal an extravagant scheme in which the accused researched the juror’s personal information on social media, surveilled her, tracked her daily habits and bought a GPS device to install on her car. Authorities believe the defendants targeted the woman, known as “Juror 52,” because she was the youngest and they believed her to be the only person of color on the panel.

According to court documents, the group came up with a “blueprint” of arguments for the juror to help persuade other jurors to acquit, injecting the idea that prosecutors were motivated by racial animus: “(w)e are immigrants, they don’t respect us,” the list of proposed arguments read.

The juror reported the bribery attempt and was removed from the case before deliberations began.

The bribe attempt brought renewed attention to the trial of seven Minnesota defendants accused of coordinating to steal more than $40 million from a federal program that was supposed to feed children during the coronavirus pandemic. More than $250 million in federal funds were taken overall in the scheme and only about $50 million has been recovered, authorities say.

https://apnews.com/article/juror-briber ... 2f9125613a
RTH10260

General Law and Lawsuits

Post by RTH10260 »

Plano Woman Behind 2022 Racist Attack Sentenced to Jail Time
Esmeralda Upton unleashed a racist tirade against a group of Indian American women in Plano. Now, she'll serve time in jail for the hate crime.

By Jacob Vaughn
June 18, 2024

Anamika Chatterjee and her friends were just trying to have a nice night out in Plano on Aug. 24, 2022, when they were subjected to racist attacks by a woman named Esmeralda Upton. They had just finished eating at Sixty Vines, a Plano restaurant and wine bar.

“I hate you fucking Indians,” Upton, a complete stranger to the group, yelled. “We don’t want you here.” Upton called the group “curry ass bitches.” She continued hurling insults, eventually assaulting three of the women and threatening to shoot them.

When the women asked Upton to leave them alone, she yelled, “Go back to India … If things are so great in your country, then stay there!”

Chatterjee and her friends are all American citizens and the whole incident was caught on a video that received national attention. Now, about two years later, Upton has been sentenced to 40 days in the Collin County jail after pleading guilty to three counts of assault and one count of making terroristic threats. The charges and conviction included a hate-crime specification under Texas law.

Upton will be allowed to serve her sentence on the weekends starting on July 19. The judge warned her if she failed to appear, she would be serving her time consecutively. The sentence was part of a plea deal between the Collin County District Attorney’s Office and Upton’s counsel. Upton’s legal representation didn’t respond to requests for comment.

https://www.dallasobserver.com/news/pla ... l-19645852
pipistrelle

General Law and Lawsuits

Post by pipistrelle »

40 days on weekends for assault? That'll show her. Probably get more for shoplifting.

Return to “Law and Lawsuits”