The Stupid Thread

raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

The Stupid Thread

Post by raison de arizona »

Machine Pun Kelly 🇺🇦 @KellyScaletta wrote: He disarmed himself.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

The Stupid Thread

Post by northland10 »

raison de arizona wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2024 7:30 pm
Machine Pun Kelly 🇺🇦 @KellyScaletta wrote: He disarmed himself.
That is from 2022 but it was worth checking up on.

He only actually lost one hand and part of the forearm, and the explosion had something to do with trying to create marijuana oil via a butane extraction or making explosives or something.

https://www.fox2detroit.com/news/warren ... ioner-says

https://www.clickondetroit.com/news/loc ... -his-home/

However,

He decided he likes keeping a spot in The Stupid Thread. This time, Mr long list of felonies decided to get caught owning lots of weapons, while on probation.
https://www.clickondetroit.com/news/loc ... materials/

https://www.fox2detroit.com/news/warren ... ives-again

Earlier this year, he plead guilty to felon in possession and sentencing is next week, 18 June.
101010 :towel:
sugar magnolia

The Stupid Thread

Post by sugar magnolia »

He likes to keep his hand in the explosives business.
roadscholar

The Stupid Thread

Post by roadscholar »

Maybe he was a fan of Hemingway.
The bitterest truth is more wholesome than the sweetest lie.
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

The Stupid Thread

Post by RTH10260 »

RTH10260

The Stupid Thread

Post by RTH10260 »

Sam the Centipede

The Stupid Thread

Post by Sam the Centipede »

Re the last video about the skydiver in the balloon: there was some mention of "so you know what happens when you jump from a balloon" and I think a mention of weight. Implying jumping would be bad.

Of course the reduction in weight lightens the balloon, and I imagine the sudden loss of weight from one side disrupts its balance too … are those big problems? Is jumping from balloons especially dangerous for balloon, balloon crew, jumper?

To be clear: I'm not suggesting in any way that the guy should have been permitted to jump, the pilot was completely in the right, the wannabe jumper completely in the wrong. I am simply curious about the physics!
keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

The Stupid Thread

Post by keith »

yeah I'm guessing its the weight distribution. All of a sudden the basket is swinging and that's got to play havoc with the envelope and the burner.
Be assured that a walk through the ocean of most souls Would scarcely get your feet wet
RTH10260

The Stupid Thread

Post by RTH10260 »

re above deadly scenario:

iirc a post in the comments mentions that a sudden loss of weight in the baloon basket will take the baloon into an uplift motion. This motion is sufficient to flatten the baloons hull from the air pressure above. It presses the hot air out of the hull and the hull collapses. The result is a deadly crash to ground.

The comment mentions that a jump from a hot air ballon is feasable when planned in advanced and executed correctly. For that the ballon must be at a considerable height. The pilot must let the baloon drop height at considerable speed to compensate for loss of weight once the skydiver leaves the basket. It's my guess that for such a jump no other passengers may by in the basket, and all must be wearing a parachute for emergency.
Sam the Centipede

The Stupid Thread

Post by Sam the Centipede »

Thanks RTH! Aviation rules are always cautious, as bad things happening half a mile or more above the ground (or sea) are inherently orders of magnitude more dangerous than when solid ground is underfoot.

But what you describe sounds less like "it's not a very good idea" caution and more like "it's too darned dangerous to contemplate unless you know exactly what you're doing".

The flattening balloon acting as bellows to push out all the buoyant hot air is crazily scary! Perhaps it's more viable with a gas-filled (helium or hydrogen) balloon which wouldn't vomit out its buoyancy in that way.

This is another "today I learnt …" day! :biggrin:
raison de arizona

The Stupid Thread

Wtf was he thinking.
Oregon Man Who Drugged Daughter's Friends At Sleepover Gets Prison Term
“My whole life is destroyed,” Michael Meyden, 57, told the court. “Everything that was important to me up until that point is gone.”

An Oregon man who drugged his daughter and her friends with fruit smoothies laced with a sleeping medication after they didn’t go to bed during a sleepover was sentenced to two years in prison.

Michael Meyden, a 57-year-old from the Portland suburb of Lake Oswego, apologized during his sentencing Monday after pleading guilty to three felony counts of causing another person to ingest a controlled substance, The Oregonian reported.

“My whole life is destroyed,” he told the court. “Everything that was important to me up until that point is gone.”

He said he planned a fun sleepover last summer for his daughter and three of her friends, all then age 12, but they didn’t go to bed by 11 p.m. as he wanted. Meyden said he wanted them well rested for the next day, but he also wanted them to go to bed so he could sleep.

Meyden laced fruit smoothies with a sleeping medication, authorities said. Two of the friends drank the smoothies and eventually passed out. A third girl didn’t want the drink and alerted a family friend by text message after she saw Meyden return to make sure the girls were asleep. He moved the arm of one girl and the body of another and put his finger under one’s nose to see if she was asleep.
:snippity:
https://www.huffpost.com/entry/ap-us-sl ... bcfea0c93c
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
roadscholar

The Stupid Thread

Post by roadscholar »

Know how to get a gaggle of 12-yr-old girls to go to sleep without ruining your life?

Unplug the WiFi router, and if that doesn’t work, flip off the breaker to the room they’re in.

8-)
The bitterest truth is more wholesome than the sweetest lie.
Rolodex

The Stupid Thread

Post by Rolodex »

My mother-in-law had a zillion kids. Once the oldest ones became adults, they were tapped to be the sleep-over chaperones for the next 12 year old girl sleepover party; she left to stay in a hotel by herself. She was a pretty smart lady!
Do the right thing. It will gratify some people and astonish the rest. - Mark Twain
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: and it's really me

The Stupid Thread

Post by Foggy »

He ... put his finger under one’s nose to see if she was asleep.
That's not how you tell if they're sleeping.

That's how you tell if they're dead. :smoking:
raison de arizona

The Stupid Thread

It's cause you are dumb. That's why. Glad I could clear that up.
Suranis

The Stupid Thread

Post by Suranis »

https://www.facebook.com/movieandes/pos ... %2CO%2CP-R
Movie and Entertainment Sphere
·
What are your thoughts on Black Panther lead actor Chadwick Boseman passing away?

Cancel culture has gone too far.

No, I'm not talking about Boseman literally getting cancelled out of existence (RIP). I'm talking about Elizabeth Olsen, i.e. Scarlet Witch/Wanda Maximoff, who got cyberbullied off Instagram.

The reason?

She didn't post anything on social media to pay her tributes to Boseman, a former colleague.

I’m sorry, but since when has inactivity on social media become a crime?

How Olsen chooses to face a former colleague's passing is her own business. She doesn't owe anyone an explanation, least of all to random strangers on the internet.
People need to chill the fk out.
Hic sunt dracones
raison de arizona

The Stupid Thread

:bwahaha:

Ahem. Oh wait. Here it comes again!

:bwahaha: :bwahaha:
https://x.com/TomFitton/status/1807208967233269804
Tom Fitton @TomFitton wrote: Fact Check: I've carefully reviewed the debate. Despite partisan and allied media spin to distract from President Biden's evident dementia, there were no Trump "lies."
Isn't there a small child somewhere you should be donating your clothes to Tom?

Bonus Fitton wrecking:
► Show Spoiler

Return to “Whatever Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”