The Stupid Thread

raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

The Stupid Thread

Post by raison de arizona »

Machine Pun Kelly 🇺🇦 @KellyScaletta wrote: He disarmed himself.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

The Stupid Thread

Post by northland10 »

raison de arizona wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2024 7:30 pm
Machine Pun Kelly 🇺🇦 @KellyScaletta wrote: He disarmed himself.
That is from 2022 but it was worth checking up on.

He only actually lost one hand and part of the forearm, and the explosion had something to do with trying to create marijuana oil via a butane extraction or making explosives or something.

https://www.fox2detroit.com/news/warren ... ioner-says

https://www.clickondetroit.com/news/loc ... -his-home/

However,

He decided he likes keeping a spot in The Stupid Thread. This time, Mr long list of felonies decided to get caught owning lots of weapons, while on probation.
https://www.clickondetroit.com/news/loc ... materials/

https://www.fox2detroit.com/news/warren ... ives-again

Earlier this year, he plead guilty to felon in possession and sentencing is next week, 18 June.
101010 :towel:
sugar magnolia

The Stupid Thread

Post by sugar magnolia »

He likes to keep his hand in the explosives business.
roadscholar

The Stupid Thread

Post by roadscholar »

Maybe he was a fan of Hemingway.
The bitterest truth is more wholesome than the sweetest lie.
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

The Stupid Thread

Post by RTH10260 »

RTH10260

The Stupid Thread

Post by RTH10260 »

Sam the Centipede

The Stupid Thread

Post by Sam the Centipede »

Re the last video about the skydiver in the balloon: there was some mention of "so you know what happens when you jump from a balloon" and I think a mention of weight. Implying jumping would be bad.

Of course the reduction in weight lightens the balloon, and I imagine the sudden loss of weight from one side disrupts its balance too … are those big problems? Is jumping from balloons especially dangerous for balloon, balloon crew, jumper?

To be clear: I'm not suggesting in any way that the guy should have been permitted to jump, the pilot was completely in the right, the wannabe jumper completely in the wrong. I am simply curious about the physics!
keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

The Stupid Thread

Post by keith »

yeah I'm guessing its the weight distribution. All of a sudden the basket is swinging and that's got to play havoc with the envelope and the burner.
Be assured that a walk through the ocean of most souls Would scarcely get your feet wet
RTH10260

The Stupid Thread

Post by RTH10260 »

re above deadly scenario:

iirc a post in the comments mentions that a sudden loss of weight in the baloon basket will take the baloon into an uplift motion. This motion is sufficient to flatten the baloons hull from the air pressure above. It presses the hot air out of the hull and the hull collapses. The result is a deadly crash to ground.

The comment mentions that a jump from a hot air ballon is feasable when planned in advanced and executed correctly. For that the ballon must be at a considerable height. The pilot must let the baloon drop height at considerable speed to compensate for loss of weight once the skydiver leaves the basket. It's my guess that for such a jump no other passengers may by in the basket, and all must be wearing a parachute for emergency.
Sam the Centipede

The Stupid Thread

Post by Sam the Centipede »

Thanks RTH! Aviation rules are always cautious, as bad things happening half a mile or more above the ground (or sea) are inherently orders of magnitude more dangerous than when solid ground is underfoot.

But what you describe sounds less like "it's not a very good idea" caution and more like "it's too darned dangerous to contemplate unless you know exactly what you're doing".

The flattening balloon acting as bellows to push out all the buoyant hot air is crazily scary! Perhaps it's more viable with a gas-filled (helium or hydrogen) balloon which wouldn't vomit out its buoyancy in that way.

This is another "today I learnt …" day! :biggrin:
raison de arizona

The Stupid Thread

Wtf was he thinking.
Oregon Man Who Drugged Daughter's Friends At Sleepover Gets Prison Term
“My whole life is destroyed,” Michael Meyden, 57, told the court. “Everything that was important to me up until that point is gone.”

An Oregon man who drugged his daughter and her friends with fruit smoothies laced with a sleeping medication after they didn’t go to bed during a sleepover was sentenced to two years in prison.

Michael Meyden, a 57-year-old from the Portland suburb of Lake Oswego, apologized during his sentencing Monday after pleading guilty to three felony counts of causing another person to ingest a controlled substance, The Oregonian reported.

“My whole life is destroyed,” he told the court. “Everything that was important to me up until that point is gone.”

He said he planned a fun sleepover last summer for his daughter and three of her friends, all then age 12, but they didn’t go to bed by 11 p.m. as he wanted. Meyden said he wanted them well rested for the next day, but he also wanted them to go to bed so he could sleep.

Meyden laced fruit smoothies with a sleeping medication, authorities said. Two of the friends drank the smoothies and eventually passed out. A third girl didn’t want the drink and alerted a family friend by text message after she saw Meyden return to make sure the girls were asleep. He moved the arm of one girl and the body of another and put his finger under one’s nose to see if she was asleep.
:snippity:
https://www.huffpost.com/entry/ap-us-sl ... bcfea0c93c
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
roadscholar

The Stupid Thread

Post by roadscholar »

Know how to get a gaggle of 12-yr-old girls to go to sleep without ruining your life?

Unplug the WiFi router, and if that doesn’t work, flip off the breaker to the room they’re in.

8-)
The bitterest truth is more wholesome than the sweetest lie.
Rolodex

The Stupid Thread

Post by Rolodex »

My mother-in-law had a zillion kids. Once the oldest ones became adults, they were tapped to be the sleep-over chaperones for the next 12 year old girl sleepover party; she left to stay in a hotel by herself. She was a pretty smart lady!
Do the right thing. It will gratify some people and astonish the rest. - Mark Twain
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: Inventor of flag baseball

The Stupid Thread

Post by Foggy »

He ... put his finger under one’s nose to see if she was asleep.
That's not how you tell if they're sleeping.

That's how you tell if they're dead. :smoking:
Katie Porter '28
raison de arizona

The Stupid Thread

It's cause you are dumb. That's why. Glad I could clear that up.
Suranis

The Stupid Thread

Post by Suranis »

https://www.facebook.com/movieandes/pos ... %2CO%2CP-R
Movie and Entertainment Sphere
·
What are your thoughts on Black Panther lead actor Chadwick Boseman passing away?

Cancel culture has gone too far.

No, I'm not talking about Boseman literally getting cancelled out of existence (RIP). I'm talking about Elizabeth Olsen, i.e. Scarlet Witch/Wanda Maximoff, who got cyberbullied off Instagram.

The reason?

She didn't post anything on social media to pay her tributes to Boseman, a former colleague.

I’m sorry, but since when has inactivity on social media become a crime?

How Olsen chooses to face a former colleague's passing is her own business. She doesn't owe anyone an explanation, least of all to random strangers on the internet.
People need to chill the fk out.
Hic sunt dracones
raison de arizona

The Stupid Thread

:bwahaha:

Ahem. Oh wait. Here it comes again!

:bwahaha: :bwahaha:
https://x.com/TomFitton/status/1807208967233269804
Tom Fitton @TomFitton wrote: Fact Check: I've carefully reviewed the debate. Despite partisan and allied media spin to distract from President Biden's evident dementia, there were no Trump "lies."
Isn't there a small child somewhere you should be donating your clothes to Tom?

Bonus Fitton wrecking:
► Show Spoiler
RTH10260

The Stupid Thread

Post by RTH10260 »

Man arrested for using fake ID to bond friend out of jail, who was arrested for using fake IDs

June 28, 2024 10:54 AM
Sarah Lawrence

COVINGTON - A man was arrested Monday after he allegedly used fake IDs and information to make purchases at several St. Tammany Parish stores.

Later that same day, his believed accomplice was also arrested for using a fake ID to try and bond him out of jail.

St. Tammany Parish deputies were called to a Covington-area store to arrest a man, later identified as Renandson Parfait, 34, of New York. Parfait is accused of having made several purchases around the parish using fraudulent cards. He was booked for access fraud, ten counts of bank fraud, identity theft, and unlawful production of fraudulent documents.

After Parfait was booked, his believed accomplice, Alan Artist, 40, also of New York, allegedly attempted to bail Parfait out—also using a fake ID.

Artist was also arrested for injuring public record, possession of a fake ID, obstruction of justice, and resisting an officer.

When deputies searched Parfait's vehicle, they found more than 70 fake credit cards.
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

The Stupid Thread

Post by northland10 »

RTH10260 wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2024 12:52 pm
Man arrested for using fake ID to bond friend out of jail, who was arrested for using fake IDs

June 28, 2024 10:54 AM
Sarah Lawrence

COVINGTON - A man was arrested Monday after he allegedly used fake IDs and information to make purchases at several St. Tammany Parish stores.

Later that same day, his believed accomplice was also arrested for using a fake ID to try and bond him out of jail.

St. Tammany Parish deputies were called to a Covington-area store to arrest a man, later identified as Renandson Parfait, 34, of New York. Parfait is accused of having made several purchases around the parish using fraudulent cards. He was booked for access fraud, ten counts of bank fraud, identity theft, and unlawful production of fraudulent documents.

After Parfait was booked, his believed accomplice, Alan Artist, 40, also of New York, allegedly attempted to bail Parfait out—also using a fake ID.

Artist was also arrested for injuring public record, possession of a fake ID, obstruction of justice, and resisting an officer.

When deputies searched Parfait's vehicle, they found more than 70 fake credit cards.
The first one arrested is not new to being arrested for credit card fakes.

https://www.longisland.com/news/12-20-1 ... e-ids.html
Elmont, NY - December 20th, 2013 - The Fourth Squad reports the arrest of two Brooklyn men for Possession of a Forged Instrument which occurred on Thursday, December 19, 2013 at 7:15 P.M. in Elmont.

According to detectives, Renandson A. Parfait, 21, of 1627 Albany Avenue, was found to be in possession of marijuana after being stopped on Benson Avenue and Ludlam Place after making an illegal turn while driving. During the investigation Parfait was found to be in possession of a fraudulent driver’s license and several forged credit cards. The passenger of the vehicle, Edker Hough, 57, of 2402 Atlantic Avenue, was found to be in possession of fraudulent driver’s licenses and several forged credit cards. They were placed under arrest without incident.

Both men are charged with seven counts of Possession of a Forged Instrument 2nd degree. Additionally, Parfait is charged with Unlawful Possession of Marijuana and several VTL violations. They will be arraigned on Friday, December 20, 2013 at First District Court in Hempstead.
Those who enjoy fake IDs and credit card theft should probably avoid partnering up with Mr. Parfait. He has a tendency to get his accomplices arrested.
101010 :towel:
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

The Stupid Thread

Post by neonzx »

Darwin wins AGAIN!

‘Showboating’ South Carolina father killed after lit firework he placed on his head explodes:

https://nypost.com/2024/07/05/us-news/s ... -accident/
A South Carolina father decked out in a stars and stripes outfit and top hat was instantly killed Thursday when he placed a lit firework on top of his head moments before it exploded, officials and family reportedly said.

Allen Ray McGrew, 41, was putting on a fireworks show for his neighbors on the 4th of July and wanted to “show off” during the block party in the town of Summerville, according to reports.

The shocking accident that led to the father of one's death happened during a block party.
Foggy
Dick Tater

The Stupid Thread

Post by Foggy »

More from the story above :
The incident happened after he had been drinking for several hours, according to a police report obtained by the newspaper.

McGrew, the father of a son who was recently engaged, loved Independence Day, and wore a new Uncle Sam costume during the block party.

“Allen loved this holiday,” his wife told the Post and Courier.

“He was a patriot; he was proud of his son and he was excited to have a new daughter-in-law. He was living his best life last night.”

She reportedly said she’ll remember him as a “genuine, good person” who “loved life.”

“He worked hard,” she said of the HVAC worker, “and he played hard.
I am impressed with the forgiveness of this woman. I don't think ol' Wifehorn would be feeling so charitable if'n I got drunk and killed myself in an Uncle Sam costume. That's not the best avenue for being considered a patriot, imho.

Earthlings are so entertaining, but this one went tragically wrong.
Katie Porter '28
keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

The Stupid Thread

Post by keith »

neonzx wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2024 11:49 pm Darwin wins AGAIN!

‘Showboating’ South Carolina father killed after lit firework he placed on his head explodes:

https://nypost.com/2024/07/05/us-news/s ... -accident/
A South Carolina father decked out in a stars and stripes outfit and top hat was instantly killed Thursday when he placed a lit firework on top of his head moments before it exploded, officials and family reportedly said.

Allen Ray McGrew, 41, was putting on a fireworks show for his neighbors on the 4th of July and wanted to “show off” during the block party in the town of Summerville, according to reports.

The shocking accident that led to the father of one's death happened during a block party.
Sorry, this tragic event is not eligible for the Darwin Awards.

Darwin awards are for folks who improve the human gene pool by removing themselves from it BEFORE they reproduce.

The article clearly reports that he is already a father.

This admonition is not to demean the tragic death of a husband and father due to his own stupidity, just to protect the sacred integrity of the Darwin Awards.
Be assured that a walk through the ocean of most souls Would scarcely get your feet wet
Foggy
Dick Tater

The Stupid Thread

Post by Foggy »

It would be irresponsible not to speculate that one specific result of the incident is one less vote for the quadfectee in November. :mrgreen:

I had real trouble celebrating the Fourth of July. I felt like I was mourning the death of our democracy, instead of celebrating its birth.
Katie Porter '28
Foggy
Dick Tater

The Stupid Thread

Post by Foggy »

Yeah, this story interests me for whatever reason, and I just walked a couple miles (ol' Wifehorn usually joins me, but the heat and humidity), and I started wondering what the actual firework was that the deceased gentleman was using as he was living ending his best life.

Because a simple firecracker would not be enough to kill a 41 year old HVAC tech instantly, imho. You can hold a firecracker in your hand, and you will get a nasty burn, but you won't lose the hand. Lots of Earthlings lose fingers in fireworks accidents, but not from little firecrackers. Most fireworks injuries are from mortars and rockets, Roman candles, homemade fireworks, and stuff like that (although sparklers apparently cause injuries to children (not my children, we tried to be safe)).
https://www.advisory.com/daily-briefing ... orks-study

So, not a simple firecracker. I would think an M-80 would do the trick, if'n you're old enough to remember M-80s. Those mortars and rockets fly for several seconds before they explode, which means three or four seconds of rocket engine before it goes boom. It's supposed to fly really fast, and that woulda been hard to keep on his head, even with a cardboard top hat that was part of his costume.

Although I admit, if'n he managed to get the mortar to spin around in circles inside the Uncle Sam hat for three seconds while he held the hat down and then got the explosion with the stars flying everywhere right on top of his head, it would be the viral video of all time (ol' Wifehorn and I are glad there's no video of this one).

Anyway, I haven't seen an M-80 in many years, but remember: this is South Carolina, and the fireworks stores sell all kinds of powerful fireworks. Lots of people from North Carolina go down there because we have only the kiddie version of fireworks in our stores. As soon as you cross the border, they're everywhere. I still have some mortars, but I'm gonna dump 'em, I don't do explosions anymore, we have dogs in the neighborhood. I got some wicked Roman candles back in the day, but we haven't been inside a fireworks store in many years.

On the other hand, if you knew how powerful an M-80 is - I have seen them destroy steel mailboxes - then I doubt it would be possible for me to get drunk enough that I would suddenly be inspired to do a big boom on my personal headbone. That's sooper dumb. :nope:
Katie Porter '28
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

The Stupid Thread

Post by bill_g »

Years ago one of our neighbor's kids dropped his M80. He decided to step on it to extinguish it or something. BANG went his shoe and one of his toes. That was the end of his fun for the evening.

Return to “Whatever Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”